/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: sweet.png (450x650, 218K)

Other urls found in this thread:

helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/windows-was-unable-to-find-a-certificate-to-log-you-on-to-the-network/
skinflint.co.uk/?cat=umtsover&xf=10063_2.1~158_3.5mm-Klinke
samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/27--chg70-gaming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc27hg70qqnxza/
stackoverflow.com/questions/172587/what-is-the-difference-between-g-and-gcc
gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Labels-as-Values.html
haveibeenpwned.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have both an SSD and HDD in my computer and windows defrags them both weekly which seems fine. But I seem to remember reading that SSDs aren't supposed to be defragged?

What version of windows are you running, and how do you know the SSD is being defragged?

windows doesn't defrag ssd's, it "optimizes" them, which is actually just TRIM
TRIM is completely different to defragging, it doesn't apply to hdd's, and is a good thing to run every so often

if you care to know what it's for... when you write something to an SSD, first it must erase the current contents of what you're writing to, if it's not already, you can't directly overwrite a block like on a hdd, so to save time, what TRIM does is it goes and erases any blocks that have "deleted" data on them ahead of time, so when you want to use them again, you don't need to wait for them to be erased at that time

tl;dr, makes write faster, doesn't cause wear you wouldn't do otherwise (safe)

There are two reasons to defragment your hard drive:
1) Your file system may be designed in a way where file headers/table entries are finite, meaning that larger chunks of sequential blocks are preferred over fragmented blocks. NTFS or whatever Windows uses these days is among these.

2) Accessing sequential blocks usually increase read/write performance compared to more random access.

Depending on your SSD, 2) may not be so relevant any more, but 1) definitively is. Many SSDs are complete shit though, performance wise, and disks such as Samsung Evo 960 etc use large RAM buffers that predict sequential access of the disk. That's a reason for 2).

Windows does scheduled optimization of SSDs outside of both TRIM and defrag that covers shit like that.

I need some help with windows server.

I'm a temporary sysadmin in a shitty highschool, all of the teachers got new laptops, but the new laptops can't connect to the network because it needs some sort of certificate, this way they can't open their own drives.
Their old laptops still has access to the server's drives when they're connected to that network (no network login required).
Where do I get that certificate from, or how do I fix this shit? I really don't like windows.
I can't find it in the cert manager. Will that certificate make them access the drives, or there's something else to do?

Thanks in advance anons

Attached: box.png (257x228, 142K)

cute boy

Windows 10 pro 64bit.

Attached: ssd.jpg (1002x839, 146K)

How do I get this cool guy to display from a 1070ti? Running win 10, I have a bunch of adapters but can only get it to flicker on/off.

Attached: image0.jpg (3264x2448, 929K)

That's not a straight defragging tool anymore. Notice how it's called "Optimize drives" now. It performs different kinds of maintenance depending on the drive type. Whether you're dealing with SSDs or HDDs, all you need to worry about is that windows knows what kind of drives they are, which is really only a concern when cloning.

You would need an ACTIVE digital (HDMI/DVI/Displayport) to VGA adapter.

Thanks friend, the CRT ONLY has a VGA out. So I would just purchase an active VGA to (HDMI/DVI/Displayport) correct? It runs at 120hz, is there a preferred port for response time and refresh rate?

does this help
helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/windows-was-unable-to-find-a-certificate-to-log-you-on-to-the-network/

>is there a preferred port
Not really. On a current gen gpu all of those standards should be pretty robust, so you'd just want to make sure that the cord supports the rez/refresh combo you want if you're going above 1080p. Also you're saying that backwards. The crt has a vga IN, and you want a digital TO vga adapter. The kind of cable you want only works in one direction, so you want to make sure you've got that right.

I want to record my voice and put it through some effects so it's distorted. Which of these programs is easiest to use for recording audio and free?

Attached: ff.png (227x181, 6K)

I use cubase 5 desu but not free [spoiler]unless you torrent it[/spoiler]

britbong here what's the cheapest mobile phone I can get that plays mp3s

What's a simple blogging platform that's free and can be configured with custom domain names?
Extra points for plain text files and markdown support for future portability.

Audacity is free and has distortion effects, not in your list tho.

Why is huawei the only company that has the 5g technology?

I have a EU charger for my Thinkpad T420 and I'm buying a US battery for it. I don't think there should be any issues charging it, but I wanted to ask here just in case: will this be a problem? I've never bought a battery from overseas before.

If a battery is stuck at 9V then it wont charge anymore right? How could i return it to 12v?

Voltage has been slowly increasing, when i started checking it it was at 9.1v, now its at 9.3v(Based in Linux battery readings).

>looking at device manager
>says no drivers for sata controller
>right click to install drivers
>windows can't find the drivers

What am I losing by not having the sata controller drivers

skinflint.co.uk/?cat=umtsover&xf=10063_2.1~158_3.5mm-Klinke

Cause it's a meme that's nowhere near practical implementation and takes up like half the size of your phone.

Am I able to execute a program from another program? For example, will I be able to call a Python script through my C++ program?

Not a lot of SoCs support it and Huawei got a exclusivity contract for it.
After a while you will see it.

sure

Nothing unless we are talking about a marvell SATA2 controller.

I wanna dualboot Ubuntu with Windows 10 on a SSD, but share the HDD between both OS. I already have the data on the HDD. How would I partition the Ubuntu installation now? Root on the rest of the SSD and \home on the HDD?

Hey Jow Forums
There's this free WiFi network in my place that requires this app to connect.
What it does is that you connect to the WiFi, open the app, the app allows you to access the internet.
I hate this cause every 5mins It always displays stupid ads, and the app is always crashing.

So, how do I bypass (the proxy?).
I'm looking for a way to connect to the network without the app.
If there's anything specific you need to know, I'll answer.

Attached: Screenshot_20190225-193419.png (720x1280, 97K)

How?

My home directory is riddled with many hidden dot folders - probably holding configs for some programs. Some of those programs I still use, some of those I removed, some of those I don't recognize.
Is there some easy way to remove all those hidden directories which associated Programs are no longer present on the disk?

Depends on the programming language. In C++ you can use fork/exec.

What's the best WireGuard VPN config client for Windows?

Really stupid question, what's the difference between compiling cpp files with g++ or gcc - is it just two different compilers /linkers on cmd line (I thought they were the same thing) ?
e.g.
> g++ files.cpp -o files.exe
>gcc files.cpp -o files.exe

Thanks

Why can't I find shit about temps and building inside the MB511?
Is the Meshify C really worth $40 more?
what would you vote is the best mid case for a ryzen build under 100?

hardmode
Under $75, including shipping?

Attached: 4902834098320498230948.png (1623x1077, 684K)

Would anybody be so kind as to give every reason why I should NOT purchase this monitor samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/27--chg70-gaming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc27hg70qqnxza/
I am aware it's VA and the downsides associated with that. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing or if there's a better 1440p 144hz VA alternative.

Long story short I have a RAID5 array that I need to upgrade to RAID6
I don't want to spend $130 on a drive bay
I'm thinking of building my own using some sata to USB 3.0 adapters
I can get 4 of those for half the price of a drive bay
Why should or shouldn't I do this?
It has to be USB

>what's the difference between compiling cpp files with g++ or gcc
First link
stackoverflow.com/questions/172587/what-is-the-difference-between-g-and-gcc

one difference seems to be that g++ will automatically link libstdc++, whereas I had to specifiy -lstdc++ in order to get gcc to link my C++ code

I just received a new laptop I ordered. It's on Windows 10, and I'd like to upgrade to Windows 7. I already have a guide for it (and I've done this before on a different laptop), but then I went to the manufacturer's driver page, and they don't offer any drivers that AREN'T for Windows 10.
How... how do I find drivers? I feel like an idiot asking this but I've never searched for drivers, if I ever needed some I just went to the manufacturer page because I've only ever used prebuilts.

Attached: 1521076665984.png (720x540, 397K)

If lenovo or HP just install windows 10 LTSB.

how do i make another twitter account?
my shit got suspended for being an edgelord and i tried making a new one with a burner email account but can't find any online sms services that twitter accepts.

Attached: excuse me.png (463x263, 145K)

You don't

What are the advantages of LTSB over Enterprise? I know both of them give you the minimum available telemetry but I'm not sure what else is different.

It comes without bloatware.
No store(can be installed), no cortana, no ads, etc.

Use a gmail account.

That sounds good to me. Hate that I'm going to have to use Win10, but maybe after I install LTSB and install some third party anti-telemetry it'll be useable. Thank you, user.

please respond

Which is the safest file system? Should I use NTFS, ext4 or ZFS for backup?

i did, that's not hard. twitter requires registering a phone number tho for sms confirmation. i found some online but twitter doesn't accept them.
does gmail have some sort of online phone service i can use?

Pay five bucks for a burner phone and use that. Sometimes you can use Google Voice for a phone number

They will suspend you again for having any thought that goes against mainstream left ideology. Better not reopen it, it will end up restricting your thoughts.

Does anybody ITT work tier 3 IT?

What password manager should I use? I've been looking at Keepass and Bitwarden but want to hear what you guys use

Make a enw account, then change any setting and they will block your account, Submit a ticket that you dont have a phone and they will unban you.

What's a wrapper and why would it be used?

Could you be more specific? Are you talking in terms of software, hardware, or food?

If have an application installed on a second drive and reinstall an os on the other, will I be able to open that application still?

Depends on the OS but most likely no. Regardless of what OS you use, they end up spamming the OS or user folder drive with settings and such.

Why do unpopulated NAS boxes cost so much?

what's a good program for chatting through LAN on windows?

My computer only supports linux kernels >4.15, but Linux Mint 19.1 ships with 4.15 and I can't boot it from the USB because of graphics driver issues I guess. Is it possible to install it with a newer kernel?

Hey guys, quick question about displayport cables.

Is there any difference in the actual cable? I bought a new monitor that supports 144hz displayport input at 1440p.

Can I just buy any displayport cable, or will I need to buy a 1.x to ensure I get the 144hz at that resolution?

Attached: 20526158_1872717056323935_98007410079051761_n.png (500x509, 308K)

>was forced to reset my main password that I'd been using for a decade last month because my mail client mistook a legitimate attempt to login as my account being compromised
>actually came up with a cool password for it
>have now forgotten what the password was
bit annoyed desu
I still have the authenticator, so I'm good, but I really want to remember what the password was

I was bought a wireless mouse as a gift, and it seems to be improperly calibrated (when you move straight vertical it also moves the mouse slightly to the right/left, when you move it straight horizontal it moves the mouse slightly up/down, all at a specific angle compared to where it should). Is there any software that can correct this or did the person who bought this waste their money?

You dont need a 3rd party program, just use group policy and change telemetry to security mode and disable defender and forced updates.

Can someone explain me the following code? Thank you

#include
void fun(){
printf("%s","Hello world!");
}
int main(){
void *(*ptr)(void);
ptr = *fun;
goto *ptr;
}

Looks like undefined behavior to me.

cute

Do 1080p games look like shit on a 4k monitor? Am I better off getting a 1080p one?

Have a look here: gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Labels-as-Values.html

Well it either works or it doesn't. There's no in between. Sometimes cables with inadequate shielding won't pull off the higher rates.

Great, I guess I'll just bite the bullet on a half decent cable and give it a whirl.

Not really. The resolutions line up, so the only difference is there isn't quite as much "roundness" to the pixels to smooth them out, but it shouldn't be a huge difference, and you get the benefit of the 4k on everything else. If literally 95% of everything you were doing on that monitor was 1080p PC gaming, then FHD would probably be better. But you don't get the funky blurriness that you would if you were trying to display 1080p on a 1440p monitor.

>but I really want to remember what the password was
Jow Forums is not known for it's ancient Tibetan mind wisdom, maybe try /x/.

>password that I'd been using for a decade
Don't do that.

haveibeenpwned.com/

ZFS. Checksumming is built in, so it can alert you to bitrot.

I know, I know, but I'm really not concerned for the following reasons
1. The password was complicated enough I doubt it was going to be found
2. There is no reason why someone would want to target me specifically
3. There are way too many factors for a hacker to gain access to my account without me knowing. If for whatever reason they were able to find my actual password, if they tried to login to my account they would be stopped and ask to authenticate with the authenticator app due to the "unfamiliar location" from which they'd be logging in. At that point I would receive a notification on my phone and decline their access using my authenticator app. Only then would I change my password.

yes
Seconding this. ZFS comes by default on FreeBSD. If you happen to like hugs though, you can get it easily on Ubuntu.

I went to a gym earlier that i haven't been to before, and there were things resembling light bulbs in the ceiling, but they looked suspicious. Might have been hidden cameras.

Is there any way for me to actually confirm whether they are hidden cameras?
I could ask the gym staff but they'd probably lie and say no.

It is worth mentioning that there weren't any in the locker room and shower area, which further strengthens my belief that they were cameras.

>1. The password was complicated enough I doubt it was going to be found
Assume that most large organizations will have data leaks eventually. This is not an overstatement.

>2. There is no reason why someone would want to target me specifically
You are not "targeted" as an individual. These kinds of attacks happen to large groups of people

>3. There are way too many factors for a hacker to gain access
2FA is the way to go for sure. Just be wary of reusing passwords between sites.

is it realistic to 'spoof' the checksum(5MB) md5/sha-1 of an .exe?

sounds like bruteforce and thats slow, but how slow

pic next time
assume they are, security reason
you can use the ez path and make friends with someone from staff and casually bring them up

A small sha1 has been done for a small file, but only with a supercomputer iirc. MD5 should be practical. Google is your friend.

Hate to say it, but I don't think there's much you can do, the app is probably just measuring the amount of data that passes through, although the injecting ads part is suspicious. (Does the app act as a full web browser? Or a system wide proxy for your device?) There are a few things you could try that are probably illegal. What happens when you run out of data?

If your making a program remember this:
Every small extension to a hashing function (Salting, peppering, ect) has to be done thousands if not millions of times during a brute force attack, making it take exponentially longer.

What's your goal here? Because if your trying to trick someone with a hash collision, there could be easier ways.

i’m thinking of starting a yt channel and upload gaming playthroughs with commentary and maybe Jow Forums related topics too. what do you think?

Question about CPUs. I'm just comparing my old laptop to my new by having my browser (Pale Moon) idling and looking at performance of both. My old laptop has 2.00GHz and about 20 tabs open, and it averages about 9% CPU usage. This new laptop has 2.60GHz and only one tab open for the browser, but it averages 15-20% CPU usage. Why exactly is the better CPU using more power for the same program? Should I be concerned? It should be noted they're different brands of CPU, the old being Intel and the other AMD, in case that affects things.

What do I need to connect a speaker to a headphone jack? I only have the speaker

Attached: IMG_20190225_234635.jpg (3120x4160, 3.2M)

>Because if your trying to trick someone with a hash collision, there could be easier ways.
If the comparison is done by a human, you only have to get the first and last few digits the same and most people will be satisfied.

What causes that "funky blurriness"? Does 1440 on 4k? have it?

Is it an amplified speaker or not? If it's amplified and will take line level, all you need is a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. If it's not amplified and expects more power, you need an amplifier.

What CPUs?

Yes it goes both ways. 1440 doesn't line up with the other two resolutions.

Old one is Intel i3-5005U. New one is AMD A6-9225 Radeon R4.
This isn't any kind of gayming laptop, I only really need it for school and might play games on it in free time (if I didn't need it for school I would have a desktop by now), but the worse performance is putting me off. I also haven't done the clean install of LTSB on the new laptop yet, so the bloatware is definitely affecting total CPU performance, but I'm just looking at the specific process at the moment.

Almost finishing my build, looking for keyboard and mouse recommendations to add to my amazon shopping list
aiming 2 game