What's the consensus opinion on Nextcloud? Anyone here implement it?

What's the consensus opinion on Nextcloud? Anyone here implement it?

Attached: download.png (267x189, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ip-projects.de/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't.

I do.

It's comfy desu, I keep all my photos, keepass database, contacts and calendar on it. I have no need for google apps on my phone (except the hdr memecamera).

I use it for all kinds of data, has worked well for the last two years and ongoing

where do you host it?

i do on my odroid, my work place uses it too.
shits good, shits free, try it

I host it myself on a VPS

mine has 2 vCPU, 2GB of RAM and 50GB HDD (although this is quite overpowered for just one Nextcloud installation, it does run other stuff too) - 11€/month at hetzner including backup storage (their 3€/month instance alone will probably work fine)

>hetzner
they seem to have good prices, what is your opinion of them so far?

If you speak nazi, check out ip-projects.de/

no issues so far, my server has worked fine over the last 2.5 years, I didn't have to deal with support during that time

It frustrates me that there's absolutely no ... fuckin, numbered list of things you need to do to get Nextcloud running. Even the so-called 'idiot-proof' Linuxserver docker container just sort of casually mentions 'oh, btw you'll need a MySQL/MariaDB database to set this up :)' and i'm like, well, shit

The docker setup is amazingly easy if you know how docker works and what folders you need for permanent storage

I have a homeserver that runs nextcloud, among other things.
All nicely organized inside docker containers.

i don't know what the fuck a mariadb database is other than there's two entries in the Synology package center

is bigger number better? will they talk to the docker instance? who the fuck knows, there's no 'step one: do this' at all. even the fucking youtube tutorials are from like two years ago so who the fuck knows if they're relevant any more

so i'm basically thinking, fuck this unfriendly computer-janitor garbage

Attached: Capture.png (2152x818, 64K)

i know that sounds hostile, and i'm sorry if it comes off that way, i'm just frustrated that (as always) these tools are seemingly built for and by people who already have caremad opinions online about programming languages or whatever

I run it on my own home server using docker to store school docs and my keepass db. Works just fine, the only thing missing is a standalone client daemon, the cmd tool doesn't watch files nor does autosync. Yandex.Disk is the best second alt to self-hosting

>numbered list of things you need to do to get Nextcloud running
Literally just one thing docker run -p 80:80 nextcloud:latest wow that was hard

I run it on a freenas server. Between that and an instance of emby I can access all my files and media no problem. The apps can even auto backup photos and shit. The talk app is handy too, I get better video and audio quality than I do with any other video call app I've tried.

>hetzner

meinneger

I host customer projects on hetzner servers because they are so dirt cheap.

I hvae owncloud on MUH RYZEN since i have a gbit/s connection though.

Ok, real talk for a sec.
In life, you are given either social skills or computer skills. If you possess the latter, installing won't be an issue; if you possess the former, just ask your nerd friend to install it for you or something. It's that simple.

>just ask your nerd friend to install it for you or something
in such a case, i may as well just install the damn first-party Synology apps and be done with. i just looked at this and thought, 'yes. this sounds good, i'd like some of that'.

some idiot somewhere's probably baring his teeth and shaking his jowls because reeee normies. fuck that guy

Attached: Capture.png (2138x1181, 1.96M)

I've been using it for about a year. It's slow, it's very complex internally. It's built to be a document management system for a large business but the performance is poor on a good machine using all the optimization recommendations with only a few users. The video chat plugin is 1/4 baked and only worked for a little while on my setup before breaking forever (I put in a few hours trying to fix it before giving up because it's not worth the effort).
I'm thinking of just using Syncthing for files and setting up a matrix server for chat. I'll lose some features on the file management/sharing side, but I'll live.

lol you don't need to be an expert in computers to set up nextcloud. literally look up a youtube video and do whatever the faggot in video is doing.
protip: if it involves linux in any capacity try it out in a virtual machine first.

>i don't know what the fuck a mariadb database is other than there's two entries in the Synology package center
Fucking Google it. Don't expect to be spoonfed if you act like a dick.

Trash

I've been using it for 4 years, do not have any of the issues you are having anymore. Maybe using the nextcloud-vm script is more applicable for you? Setting it up correctly by hand takes like 6 forevers, but it works. Also for NC Talk to work properly you need a TURN server to handle jumps across NATs. I even have collabora installed although am planning to move to OnlyOffice since it supports MS document formats far better than libreoffice.

While I do not think setup was all that bad, I tend to agree that if you want things like collabora and NC talk to work, it is a little bit of a pain to find information. I set mine up without docker, because why would I want to use docker? (people will hate me for this). One problem I found with collabora was I had incorrectly configured the certificates, but there was little information to lead me to conclude that this was the problem. I self signed all my certificates because I just host from a laptop at home. Getting NC up and running was easy on its own.

The official nextcloud documentation provides you with every information you need. It even gives you mysql-queries at certain points if you absolutely can't handle basic database operations. If you can't work with that you might as well start with something simpler. Getting NC to run is pretty basic stuff imo if you have a working webserver though.
I've been hosting my NC on a VPS for a year or sth - never had any problems with it. It needs next to 0 maintainance apart from version upgrades and those are 15min jobs if you follow the steps in the documentation.

NC is a flaming pile of bad implementation and copycat syndrome. Still the best on the market.