/gentoo/ best linux distro thread

Gentoo masterrace thread. Talk about the best distro there is. Show off your desktop, discuss wms. Show what you're working on.

Attached: gentooたん.jpg (2101x2804, 3.17M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers#Enable_OpenGL.2FOpenCL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

needs a better gentoo-tan desu

No.
Twintails are perfection.

install gentoo

Based.

so, I'm re-configuring shit over and over, and even with nvidia proprietary drivers I can't use opengl on mpv. I don't know what to do. it works fine on pre-compiled distros

Attached: 1537859584126.jpg (850x650, 164K)

What do you mean by can't use opengl? Did you set your opengl profile to nvidia using eselect?
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers#Enable_OpenGL.2FOpenCL

Archfag here
redbean me on Gentoo
i dont mind systemd btw

let me rephrase it correctly. using opengl on mpv and mplayer causes a de-sync on the video and it outputs possible causes, like "bad driver" or "slow cpu". as I said before it runs fine on ubuntu and debian. and yeah, I didn eselect nvidia opengl profile

did you pick the desktop profile when you installed?

Is she free to fuck?

at first no, I did change it later to a desktop profile. after emerge -uDN @world , no changes at all.
one odd thing was, even when using nouveau, emerging linux-firmware did improve mpv with xv to near flawless.

She's free to fuck if you order her to.

Currently installing. R8 my partitions layout

Attached: IMG_20190225_192947.jpg (4032x3024, 1.48M)

Why so many partitions?

Attached: 1540703393465.jpg (620x640, 33K)

Protection against privilege escalation

very split / 10. Rate mine.

Attached: 2019-02-25-190424_288x176_scrot.png (288x176, 6K)

Post fstab after installing.

>1TB swap space
W-what's going on here, senpai?

Attached: 1547942098554.png (91x93, 25K)

I can read everything forever.

Been working on this, not much too look at so far but it works and its comfy enough

Attached: 2019-02-25-200610_1440x900_scrot.png (1440x900, 603K)

If I am doing a bunch of small partitions like that I use lvm because it is easier to resize them later. Food for thought.

Please explain one privilege escalation exploit that is prevented by multiple partitions. This is not something I've heard of. Partitions date back to early Unix when they literally didn't have enough space (fun fact /usr was the original /home)

This is actually a bad idea. I learned the hard way. If you have that much swap space, Linux is more likely to use it instead of clearing caches and buffers. These days you really don't ever want to swap unless it's a specific super ram-heavy application and hopefully it's an SSD swap. You are better off using that disk in a raid than just a giant swap

Use SystemDix or not - Gentoo gives you that freedom.

Back in the dark days of 2.2.10, I got bit by a retarded kernel bug. If you filled up memory, and had no swap, the kernel would start allocating from 0x00000000. About three weeks after it was exposed, some faggot flooded control.newgroups with hundreds of thousands of messages. innd used fork and run a perl script for each such message back then, so... instant DOS. I had my VRAM overwritten with junk twice before I figured it out.
Moral of the story: if Linus says that he fixed a major security issue, upgrade immediately.