So, it seems that the memes were right after-all

So, it seems that the memes were right after-all.
>be me
>have some position at a uni
>be responsible about some fucking millenians and oversee their projects
>help them with programming and what not
>meetings happen
>refer to all of them as "kids"
>e.g. the kids' projects are doing fine, we are correcting some memory leaks, refactoring some code etc
>ff several weeks
>supervisor wants to talk to me
>"hey user, don't refer to them as "kids" because they think that they are stupid and they are very disappointed with this situation"
>"...we have to encourage them and be supporting"

motherfucker, I've been busting my ass to help them, I've been debugging horribly written code, I've written guidelines on how to properly write code, I've written the most boring and tedious parts of their projects and what do I get in return? complaints.
Not only that, but I told them multiple times that in their age I didn't work on such complicated project and that I am really impressed by their work.
I've already started separating my self from the group, as I don't want to be part of the circlejerk, I am just attending meetings and nothing more.

t. boomer and a little bit more than 10years older than them

Attached: hfyEl.jpg (533x671, 78K)

>"hey user, your recent aloofness has been very disconcerting to some of the baccalaureate candidates who feel you aren't taking an adequate interest in their success, and they are very disappointed with this situation"

Attached: 1527437024047.jpg (640x470, 48K)

Is it pertinent to call them kids though? You can call them students if you want to keep up the hierarchical relation.

imagine being a 30 year old boomer thinking it's acceptable to call 20 year old university students kids
>I've been debugging horribly written code
they're uni students, it's expected that their code will be horrendous
>I've written the most boring and tedious parts of their projects
they're there to learn, not to have 30 year old boomers write parts of their projects for them

they're not kids, you mong, they're students. uni is a professional environment
calling someone a kid is really condescending especially in a professional work environment

you're a self entitled boomer at the core, go fuck yourself

t. at the very edge of being a millenial, 33 y/o

Dude, you're literally a boomer

op here,
They are not my students and I have nothing to do with their classes or exams.
they are 19 and 20 yo and not even able to buy alcohol legally, so technically they are kids, even by the dictionary definition.

those tedious tasks are part of my supervising when they fuck off 1-2 weeks for vacations in-between semesters.
The point is that they think I call them kids to make them feel stupid and useless, while I've been busting my self to help them.

If I wanted to keep it strict I would've obliged them to assert me in different ways, e.g. Sir, Mr. etc., rather than being friendly and approach them in a different way.
I just said I was.

just cause you help people doesn't give you the right to insult them (even if it is a minor insult)

they are learning. if you're in teaching you're supposed to be encouraging.
if you can't do that then don't help out because youre not helping despite you debugging some of their code - someone better would step in and do it

you are the one being a snowflake

where the hell do you see the insult?
>supposed to be encouraging
have you even read my post?
>if you can't do that then don't help out because youre not helping despite you debugging some of their code - someone better would step in and do it
clearly pulling shit out of your ass, you haven't read my post.
>you are the one being a snowflake
Am I a snowflake for having oversensitive understudies? wow, is this opposite day?
that's like calling you a nigger and then labeling me as a snowflake.
come on, is this the time you kids come back from school? go study.

>The point is that they think I call them kids to make them feel stupid and useless
that's because they do feel stupid and useless, it's bad enough when a 50 year old professor refers to them as kids since it's patronising as fuck but to have someone barely 10 years their senior do it is just insulting
>while I've been busting my self to help them
and from their pov you're just somebody that refers to them as kids instead of a more formal or professional term and you end up doing work on their projects and rewriting and debugging their code, they don't see the hard work you're doing for them because they see it as you removing their agency and dismissing what could possibly be their hard work, even if that work was shit

TLDR: people who I let take advantage of me are taking advantage of me in ways I didn't anticipate

>people disagree
>WOW UR CHILDREN GO STUDY XDDD

>and from their pov you're just somebody that refers to them as kids instead of a more formal or professional term and you end up doing work on their projects and rewriting and debugging their code, they don't see the hard work you're doing for them because they see it as you removing their agency and dismissing what could possibly be their hard work, even if that work was shit
that's your assumption, by their code has to be rewritten and corrected because my and their supervisor told me too.
>it's bad enough when a 50 year old professor refers to them as kids since it's patronising as fuck but to have someone barely 10 years their senior do it is just insulting
that's not really my problem or my fault. I don't give a shit if their professor refer to them as kids, or their daddy spanked them at home.
Everything is degrading if you feel like shit. From my side, even if you go by the book, a.k.a. dictionary, kid means young male/female, and the whole purpose was to make them feel more friendly.
The best part is that the supervisor said in front of everyone that their code is shit and half of the team laughed at them, but me calling a bunch of 19 year olds, "kids", is preposterous.
...fuck logic.

>by
but*

Whether it really was ok or not to call them kids I dont know OP. But complaining about such a thing and to another teacher... fuck them, they ARE kids.

the word you are looking for is "ingratitude".

Don't be rude, goy.

Attached: D0SJBqaX0AEH5mm.jpg (960x539, 44K)

Jow Forums told me Italians aren't white, wtf???

This, amazing how quickly people forget how it felt when they were "kids" too.

do you know what's the best part?
I have referred to the girls once or twice as Ladies and the boys as Misters.
I am expecting a similar complain any day now.
about half of germany are not blonds... and that's before the invasion.
I will gladly go back to being a kid. Now I have my responsibilities and the kids' responsibilities.
you can't claim to be a grown up and choose the good perks.

so you don't like reviewing student work and you're at a university? it's pretty clear you're not cut out to work in an academic institution. you should leave before people start escalating their complaints about you to the dean's office and you are dismissed. imagine the attitude of "oh wow my supervisor told me I need to change my behavior and instead of listening and reflecting on how the meetings are going I keep this illusion of success perpetuating in my head because fuck everyone else."

>their code has to be rewritten and corrected because my and their supervisor told me too
you being forced to rewrite their code doesn't change that they likely feel their agency is being removed and them feeling like their work is irrelevant, why would they feel the need to improve and write better code if somebody else is just going to do it for them?
>that's not really my problem or my fault
I'm saying that even if you were 50 years old it wouldn't make it better since it's still patronising but you're also not 50 but 30, you were literally in their shoes a few years ago, and depending on your exact age you could be considered a kid yourself
it also is your fault that you continue to call them kids, you can't change their professors behaviour but you can change your own
>Everything is degrading if you feel like shit
yes and they likely feel like shit because they're being called kids by their superiors, their supervisor is calling their code shit, none of their hard work means anything because it's being rewritten
>From my side, even if you go by the book, a.k.a. dictionary, kid means young male/female
dictionaries also say that it's an informal way to greet people, if you don't like the term 'students' then why not something like 'pupil' or 'undergraduates' that will make them feel like they're being treated like adults
>but me calling a bunch of 19 year olds, "kids", is preposterous. ...fuck logic.
look, I know you're trying to do well by them but they don't view it that way and part of it will be the fault of your colleagues, if you want to improve student relations try treating them like equals instead of referring to them using terms like 'kids' which inherently creates an 'us versus them' mentality

This is what happens when you let an autist past HR

Would OP mind sharing some of those guides online for those of us who appreciate it?

>boomer doesn't know how to behave in public and this is everyone else's fault
Great technology thread

This is a great story for Jow ForumsAmItheAsshole/, you should ask there

I guess I should've been like everybody else, making fun of their projects behind their back, laughing at their horrible code and making fun of their incompetence and their laziness for not coming to work for free while those who where laughing where getting paid.
I, not only took responsibility for their project, not only didn't laugh behind their back or badmouth them, but actually cared about their progress and did more than my duties obliged me to do.
I called them kids, so the blame is all mine.
I don't have them around here, they are in the office's machine.
they were mostly revolving around data structures:
1st, define a root struct when creating a list, e.g.
struct listroot{ list *head; list *tail; uint16_t size;}
this will make your life easier
2nd, before using your data structure, you must create the insert/delete/find/etc helper functions
3rd, use always signals when you want to capture memory leaks when your program dies or gets killed
4th, use include guards in all your header files,
5th, header files should be function declarations and variable declarations should have extern. No code allowed
6th, any repetitive task should be in a separate function
7th, avoid globals by any means necessary, use call by value when you want to pass arguments
8th, an array of arrays is not a hash table, rehashing should be based on primes, your structure should be choosed based on what you do most, search or insert
and a bunch more that I don't remember now
I don't post or browse reddit

just make an account and post your story there, it'll be fun. you don't even need an email

Thanks OP

no man. I wish I could send you the notes.
>call by value
that's call by reference, obviously.

...oooh, and there are some more advanced that most probably won't reach them
1 when you do hundreds of thousands of mallocs do your wrapper around malloc.
on the first malloc allocate 1000 elements, it will give you mostly continuous addresses
when this fills up, RE-allocate to 2000 thousand and etc.
If you know that you are going to need 5k fist and then maybe 500 and then even less, you can use a logarithmic increment.
what does this do? it places most elements in neighboring memory locations and reduces drastically the cache misses when accessing the structure in sequentially.
2 when you do many allocations/frees you can generate a pool of those elements, eg 2000 of them, and then have a big array (struct) that you will use it as the pool.
instead of having to do mallocs and frees, you just flag what's used and what's not, so you can avoid too many system calls.
compiler tricks
always use -pipe, pipe creates pipes instead of files in the intermediate steps of the compilation. it reduces time when compiling big projects, saves your ssd from useless read/writes, and avoids writing small files on slow hdds.
place all your compiler and linker flags at the end. gcc 5 up to 8 treats them differently and you might be able to compile in later versions but not link. In previous versions it will give you an error before compilation.
if anything more comes in mind I will post it.

just call them students and let the fucking crybabies suicide in 5 years

Would it be possible to send by email? I can put mine here

Are they undergrads or postgrads?

Sorry, OP. Funny that all the bratty millennial kids are butt blasted because you call them kids.

> uni is a professional environment
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>19 and 20
>kids
I would not have liked being called a kid when I was 20. 20 is a legal adult who can carry a gun and go to war.

In my opinion you did nothing wrong, i don't really understand where the offense is being called kids as in a group expecially(by the way are you italian or do you mean "kids" in english), i guess that it also depend a lot on you're voice tone when you said it and context thou.
Imho this is either a misunderstanding on their side or a symptom of low self-esteem in your class.

>larping this hard on an anonymous imageboard.
This is why you'll die alone

I'm slightly at your side. It pissed me off being called a kid when I was paying my god damn bills, but I wasn't a pussy and just told everyone that I wasn't a kid and demanded respect.

They aren’t kids. Call them what they are: Unique and precious snowflakes, special every one.

Attached: F7B49363-226F-4508-A03B-E2E60F866D65.jpg (1024x913, 416K)

I second this.
What people lack these days is the maturity to bring up issues in person. Everyone feels compelled to go tattle. Yes, they're apparently behaving like children, but if you're their mentor or whatever then address them in a way that builds them up. They're young adults trying to become independent and competent. Your logic is faulty. Just because they are "young" doesn't make them kids. Legally, they are adults.

They're wrong for tattling, you're wrong for calling them kids in the first place. Unless you're like, 60, then it becomes kinda cute or something.
Ask yourself this OP, if they had confronted you about this in person, how would you have reacted? Would you have tried to justify yourself the way you did here in your blog post or would you have changed?

If you would have admitted you were wrong and explained why you'd thought it was ok and thanked them for coming to you, it would have been ok. It seems like maybe you wouldn't have done that though.

The amount of retards whiteknighting for these kids in this thread is disgusting. OP was obviously just trying to build a rapport with them, and they're assholes for no only rejecting that, but actively going out of their way to alienate him. Yes, calling them kids is unprofessional, but who the fuck cares? The students should be happy that OP actually puts work into teaching them and guiding them, and instead they snitch on him for being too casual. Fuck them.

I used to think childhood had been practically extended to the end of college at around 22-24. Then, I thought childhood ended when you got your first *good* job. Now, I'm almost a 30-year-old boomer and still feel like a 20-year-old college student. I'm theorizing that you only stop feeling like a child when you have kids of your own and own real estate. According to this new theory, statistically a lot of millennials will never leave childhood.

No, it's not opposite day. The kids being sensitive doesn't exclude you from also being sensitive seeing as you're complaining about it here and not just brushing it off. Should have just called them students. Even if they're not your students they're still students. Your need to appear authoritative really fucked you over didn't it, betaboy? Learn from this or keep crying.

Try calling them niggers instead

If you can't see what's wrong with calling them kids then just follow this guys advice. You might find a job where a 50 year old man might call you his kid.

you should find out who complained and fuck them over.

My grandpa still calls me kid even though I'm a sergeant in the armed forces but I mean if its a 10 year gap between you and them isnt that a little weird?

In professional high school, general subject teachers were calling us kids, boys and lads for the most part.
But professional subject teachers always called us by Mr. and last name.
It wasn't even academic yet and we were getting called like adults since we were 16.

Well fuck them, but what can you do. Substitute the word "kids" for "guys" and you'll be good to go. And remember, you don't have to deal with shitty kids if you don't want to, you can just as well fuck off and get a real job.

>t. boomer
kys, you're objectively the worst generation

Get condescended lil cuck

Based but sadly very true

You are brainwashed.

Dont ever call a class 'guys'. This will elevate you from aloof to sexist in their eyes.

Getting defensive at being called kid exposes you as full asshurt zoomer trash. Get the fuck off this board if you're

>not even able to buy alcohol legally
The land of the free

Fucking Boomer, still here ruining everything. Color me bemused.

Yeah well at least the USA is a real republic with INALIENABLE rights.

>not being able to kill whoever you want legally
land of the free

The difference between being a boy and a man is taking a life, whereas that between a girl and a woman is creating one.

Hehe :^)

>uni
>kids
retard

Lol boomers gonna boom

>not allowed to drink
>therefore a kid
That's not true. 18 is the legally adult age. Substance restrictions is a practical matter, same way car insurance, or health insurance dependency age policies work.

>this faggot a actually takes issue with someone calling someone younger a kid
Who fucking cares, go whine on twitter about AC sexism or something

Calling them "kids" is pretty weird though

Stop calling them kids faggot

t. child

>t. boomer and a little bit more than 10years older than them

you're 30+ years old and you still haven't acquired any people skills, or what a well adjusted boomer would refer to as "tact".

I wonder who the real baby is in all this.

> I told them multiple times that in their age I didn't work on such complicated project and that I am really impressed by their work.
> I've been debugging horribly written code
So you lied to them.

Why call them kids though? That's pretty weird

Tell the little self-entitled shits to go fuck themselves.
Literally nothing wrong with being called a "kid" by a decade older teacher. I hate zoomers.

>mfw 8 years older than the other students
>prof makes references to "highschool last year"
hurts just a little bit

also I have noticed the attention span of this generation is considerably lower than a few years ago
not 5 minutes go by without somebody pulling out their phone

Attached: thispersondoesnotexist.com.jpg (1024x1024, 817K)

to everyone taking the kids' side: if they are not kids why did they go and complain to user's superior?

>don't call them kids, they're too sensitive for that
Thanks OP for useful advice
Please share pastebin sometimes if you feel inclined

They are kids. This is why they care if you call them kids. They don't want to be kids but they fucking are. They don't care for the work you do. They are fucking toddlers. They expect to have parents around. Just become their asshole dad so help them and mock them but always keep their asses dry and also try to bang one cute trap boi. So go on standby mode and mission will be accomplished, wannabe boomer faggot. Also get them some alcohol.

>I am just attending meetings and nothing more.
That's the best course of action at this point. It's the only way to protect yourself.

Just call us students... not so difficult. That's what all of my profs do.

>so technically
autism

ITT: triggered gaymer kids

You can't win with people who are in this age group. They think they know everything and that they're going to change the world. That is until you actually hand them some responsibility, then they break and resort to calling you an asshole for demanding so much from a kid. I never reproduced solely because I've always recognized what douchebags teens and young "adults" are. I was one myself, and the current generation of them are the worst history has ever seen.

youre not that offensive and i wouldnt care about crap like that but in my university profs call us colleagues and its nice thbqh

Typical privileged boomer thinks everyone in college is 20 years old.

The beautiful girl in the background makes the pretty girl in the foreground look very plain.

Attached: 1532998993477.jpg (259x194, 6K)