Calling it: HoloLens will go down in history as Microsoft's biggest waste of time and money to date...

Calling it: HoloLens will go down in history as Microsoft's biggest waste of time and money to date. And that's saying a lot.

Attached: hololens.jpg (940x530, 89K)

Bigger than the Surface table?

Attached: 41kMIHni00L.jpg (500x374, 29K)

Bigger than the Kin?

Attached: Kin%20Sale.jpg?itok=uz0T7sRK.jpg (1234x772, 188K)

Bigger than Windows Phone, Windows RT, Edge, Continuum, Zune, their AI projects, their first party game publishing, and Windows 8 and 10 public perception?

oh god the proto metro interface.

I'm pretty sure that was just a research project for testing out multi-touch software
Negligible cost to MS. That thing was so basic and shitty, there's a reason they killed it so fast and didn't care.

damn user a slight roast is okay, but this is straight up incineration

Yeah except the dod just ordered $480 million worth
Good call

Bigger than Clippy?

Attached: 31-clippy_w710_h473_2x.jpg (1200x800, 118K)

Honestly how do they even make money

>a company that spies on their users and sells their data
Gee, how do they even make money?

>the dod doesn't waste money

Attached: Screenshot_20190225-190830~2.png (1080x1639, 608K)

nah it's already the standard at oil rigs, power plants and shit like that all over the world. Devs are tripping over themselves designing safety helmets with it.

it looks fucking stupid lmao

What the dod does is irrelevant Microsoft just made $480m

Clippy is cool and nostalgic to me fuck off user

>tfw too old to join military and become badass cyber commando
feelsbadman

Attached: 1525394923948.gif (500x281, 945K)

>built in microphones
>entire squad wearing them
>shot goes out
>entire squads mics pic up the shot and instantly pops up the location in their HUD

Attached: 1522367693856.png (960x720, 614K)

Could easily implement amplitude and frequency recognition as well to identify approximately what type of gun is being fired.

Attached: brQueM6.jpg (600x315, 25K)

Seems very dated.

Attached: ms_pacman_cocktail_table.jpg (600x600, 47K)

>*jams your bluetooth with a $15 amazon kit*

>$15
>range: 2cm

The first company to create holo waifus that you can look under their skirt will win the universe.

>hololens still costs $10,000
>we could have holographic waifus RIGHT NOW if people could afford it

Attached: 1541188207940.png (1280x720, 907K)

>rent hooker
>superimpose your waifu over her
>use noise cancellation so you can only hear your waifu
when?

Attached: 1528218685815.gif (480x196, 3.54M)

What a sad world we live in, jesus christ.

Attached: 1543719734258.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

/thread

It's not a waste, but it will be if they'll go through with nu microsoft general strategy, final part of which is telling people that they never intented this to be successful, or a product, or exist at all.
>yeah this isn't a consumer product really
>this'd be really useful in a workplace
I look at these pictures and I just don't fucking get it. It's stupid as hell, more annoying and aggravating than a normal phone or tablet. It's actually less flexible, because after I get fed up with this holobullshit, this device can only be dumped, after which you reach for something actually useful, or just useable. This might be worse than AR on mobile devices. Too bad that really just died, for some reason. Maybe that's because it was actually mostly fucking useless? Hmm.
And, ms tried pushing, or rather, pretending that the products they failed to bring up, were never really intended for, or are shifting focus to "business customers", like they did with windows mobile, which was recently officially declared dead.
Loved the idea that they're going to close microsoft stores because there won't be anything consumer left to sell in them.

My dad has used it as a tech demo for his work and it seens very practical for engineering/architecture at least.

that's a fucking ringer they're not just kissing their ethics goodbye on the daily, they're willing to come forward to public and even defend it
sure, people use your stuff, but why push on it like this, not just after anyone even discovered it, but after having employees speak out
and this isn't some generic normie stuff everyone has, this is literally the tech that puts crosshairs on people in sight

they've already made mad fucking money off of it. its not for your games you fucking weebs. it's for technicians. it's pretty FUCKING GREAT when you are rebuilding an airframe and need to reference 45 different randomly distributed torque specs

AR on mobile hasnt died LUL, google recently released AR maps where you essentially film yourself as you walk and it puts arrows in the ground where to go

See
It is legitimately a professional-oriented technology, of course it looks clunky, the focus is functionality. Imagine designing a building and being able to stand inside the lobby, decide where things should go from a more practical perspective rather than a theoretical plan-only 'lets build it and hope it's good' or working on a robot and being able to superimpose information

Attached: stoklasa.jpg (663x579, 39K)

Looks fine desu, the pricetag is awfully high but those who tried it said it was a significant upgrade in terms of function and form over the hololens version one. If I worked in aerospace and needed to juggle around bunch of parts for a rocket engine i'd love something like this.

I think a consumer-oriented version is a long ways out, at least 3-4 years.

good g-d why

Attached: 1446710482044.gif (350x240, 2M)

>Honestly how do they even make money
Windows, Office, Office 365, Sharepoint, SQL Server, Power BI, Azure, Active Directory, Exchange, Windows Server (and all the rest of the list working exclusively on it), Visual Studio, .NET...

There's also a slurry of technical certifications that thousands of developers all over the world strive for.

They're not topping the charts on profitability for nothing, user. They've just gotten their age-old practice of bundling software, vendor lock-in and Embrace, Extend, Extinguish to absolute perfection.

Literally sells data to the government and china. Consumer and business technology is nothing more than a way to get your data.

>broadcast bluetooth all over the place
orly?

Not even a fraction of what Google or Facebook so with your data.

>Calling it:
People will shit on it...years later everyone will copy it just like with almost everything else. This is the actual cycle that keeps being repeated.

I see tons of applications for this in the near future. It seems like a less optimal version of VR, but it has a number of advantages. For instance, creating teleconference rooms with fixed furniture. Essentially doing this means you can have meetings with off sight personnel that feels like an in person meeting. Cameras in the conference rooms allow each person to be projected into all the other rooms. Fixed furniture means that any number of people can share space across any number of rooms and have "face to face" conversations. Imagine a university with satellite "classrooms" across your state that allow you to attend classes with the core staff without traveling very far. Or imagine attending a digital conference that costs a small fraction of traditional conferences and can take place in much shorter time. And that's just communication.

The problem with this kind of shit is that it's always nothing but a good concept. Something ideal, but never really fucking executed properly.

Delid sir!! Windows bad linux good

Who cares you yuppie faggot fuck? Military defense technology is the tech that trickles down to consumers in a useable useful function anyways besides the """""""ethical""""""" aspect of it, see: a good fucking majority of shit people use every day now.

Fuck off retard.

that's hot, that's hot

What about wangblows phones?