How can I tell if these are ruined or not?

Long story short, nephew was trying to build his own PC. From what I understand, one got covered in anti-heating cream gunk, other did not but may have sustain damaged in some other way.
Both of these are i-9s. Thinking about putting one into a motherboard and building it. Nut before that, sort of looking at it closely, anyone have a fool-proof way to check that it's still functioning?

Attached: Attachment-9.jpg (1224x1632, 921K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dinopc.com/custom-pc/extreme-pc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: Attachment-3.jpg (1224x1632, 689K)

> anti-heating cream gunk
Looks like corrosion.
> sort of looking at it closely, anyone have a fool-proof way to check that it's still functioning?
No. If it's fried, it happens inside of a chip. Clean it and test it.

(If anyone has had a good enough look and thinks he has a definitive answer, please let me know. Also, sort of setting the entire fucker up with mother board, RAM, etc.., if there any way t o tell if it's in working order without going that far?
Part of me also wonders if the one with the dried crud from the anti-heating cream could be removed and possibly work.

Attached: Attachment-6.jpg (1632x1224, 832K)

>Long story short, nephew was trying to build his own PC.
>one got covered in anti-heating cream gunk
>Both of these are i-9s.
What the fuck? How do people buy top of the line skus and manage to destroy them?

>Clean it and test it.
thanks for help mate. Would you say that for both or just one?

Provide more details. Did it boot after he fucked up? Is the cream conductive?

Well, obviously you need to clean just one of them and both of them may work.
That's why eBay sellers _test_ CPUs obtained via dumpster diving and not just look at them.

>How do people buy top of the line skus and manage to destroy them?
Sister is divorced, ex-husband buys it, more money than sense.

>Provide more details.
No man, no booting at all. He showed me noth of them, he fucked up one, then the other he was afraid to fuck up so turned over to me. The cream is just the normal friggen,,,the clear stuff you put atop the CPU to hopefully keep from overheating.

Unless there were burn marks from over-voltage or shorting, there is no physical way to just look and tell. Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts, put it in a known working board, and see if it boots.

Make sure that board's UEFI settings are cleared and the firmware is up to date.

Attached: smile_rush.gif (500x500, 1.71M)

>That's why eBay sellers _test_ CPUs
didn't know this, thanks. Would it be any less/more effective than me putting it into fairly normal motherboard and seeing if it registers on the clock as one would expect???

carefully clean the thermal paste with a q-tip and alcohol.
be careful not to use too much force or you'll risk ripping out resistors

thanks mate. Nope., no burns, just cached up shit. Gonna try. If they can be saved, that's fucking $2k I have on my hands, he already got his father to get him a new one and forgot about it...

Chances are, the chip isn't damaged in any way. I've seen it happen before and all that was needed was a new motherboard.

So isopropyl alcohol to clean the one with gunk, and then try it with a cheapmotherboard? Does that seem like best source of action to everyone?

>Chances are, the chip isn't damaged in any way.
Good to hear. I think one of them is a 7940, so fairly powerful. Just a decent motherboard and off to the races.

just show a few more to make sure anons know the real state so i don't set excited for no reason....

Attached: IMG_3582.jpg (3264x2448, 1.96M)

(remember there are TWO of them-- the one cached with the cream, the one completely clean)

Attached: IMG_3581.jpg (3264x2448, 1.81M)

Attached: Attachment-7.jpg (1632x1224, 695K)

>i9
I hope they are ruined. Fuck your rich nephew.

Building my first pc soon, this is the only part that has me worried, is it easy to fuck up like this or was he just a retard?
Im going to use thermal grizzlys Kryonaut, pretty sure it has a built in spreader

So the "consensus" among anons is to just clean the fucker with alcohol (for the one cached in crap) and the other one ought to find on its own..

Attached: Attachment-5.jpg (1224x1632, 861K)

It's easy to fuck up if it's Intel. My amd chip was fried before I even put it in.

You'd want to have the gold contacts COMPLETELY clean for good contact with mobo pins
resistors can be slightly dirty and still work

You're both retards. I've literally never fucked a single cpu in my life, even my first build when I didn't know what an I/O shield was.

>Fuck your rich nephew.
good point, commraade! kill the 9 year old kolaks!

Attached: st.simon-relief.png (934x1006, 489K)

how old was your nephew, in that he put thermal paste between the mobo and the cpu?

>not having a rich middle/upper class dad to buy the latest i9 and rtx's on a whim
why even live

>You'd want to have the gold contacts COMPLETELY clean for good contact with mobo pins
>resistors can be slightly dirty and still work
there'a probably a video on net. I had bought,,,some kind of fucking cleaner a few weeks to try it...

>how old was your nephew,
He was 42 and in "special needs" dude. WTF, are you taking a survey? You can presumably fucking guess from the circumstances....

A what shield?

pfft, I still don't know what that is

How am I retarded the chip was fucked before I even put it in. It's a good idea to check.

how special needs are you, in that you gave a cpu to a special needs person with free reign to install. how retarded are you in that you cant look up what to do. how did you even find this website

Is the alcohol too hash to clean the chip do you think? I have to find the little bottle of crapI found on amazon for $1\5. See if I can find if now ad if anyone recognizes it

ok, got the chemical-- "thermal material removal" from arcticlean

>how special needs are you,
Well, it's not all bad. Like, for example, on Mondays and tuesdays, you mother comes in to wipe my ass and although she has a face like a gargoyle, because she bends over and I don't need to see her face, so I can put my cock right between her and I ca shshot a wet, ,

he did the meme

Attached: a.webm (540x540, 645K)

>Nut before that,
You're just going to ruin them even further

Don't think it was quite that straightforward, and my sister;s husband is a hedgefunder douchebag and he wanted his computer from some shop in London that purports to specialize in overclocking, which is the one all his friends got their's from. This is the place he wanted to use, so he could have have water and green lights and whatever other shit, and it's probably less than his father spends in a night on a whore so I guess he's right to stick it to him for all he is worth. And, bonus, I get to pick up the scraps. So it works for everyone:

dinopc.com/custom-pc/extreme-pc

This is another example. Almost $9,000 fucking dollars. I could build it for a hell of a lot less than that, but as far as making sure everything was perfect, the overclocking, etc....kid wasn't stupid.....'fuck up" his own so force his father to take him to London where all the rich Saudi and Qatari Vermin get their computers.
Still waiting for so decent advice from you niggers, other than tips and alcohol. So from what I've gleaned, the one that's good is good, end of, and the one with shit cached on it, try to remove shit? Does that sum it up?

Attached: pc=overrrrrrr.png (2712x1272, 1.4M)

There's no reason to even clean it. You can tell by looking at it that it's not one of the very few electrically-conductive pastes on the market. It will have literally zero effect on the chip's operation. Clean it if it makes you feel better, but if the chip's dead, that isn't what caused it.

top one clearly looks like he literally did pic related and tried to wipe it off, i see thermal paste residue on the right side of it. this is clearly not how thermal paste is meant to be applied, and is a big meme across PC building in general. he dickered the motherboard and the CPU both at the same time. that's why replacements aren't working. you have to clean all of that shit out of the socket now, and hope you didn't fry the lot. it's going to be extremely tedious and likely next to impossible to restore it to working condition. smack him upside the head and call him a fuckup for going into a project without any research or learning.

Attached: GraciousActiveCoral.webm (540x540, 392K)

There are people who watch youtube tutorials instead of doing their own research or reading a piece of paper.
Unfortunately those people are allowed access to money.

op didn't say he gave anybody anything, retard.
Someone else bought the CPUs and managed to fuck up thermal paste, now OP has acquired them. Do what Op's nephew didn't do and USE YOUR FUCKING EYES TO READ THIS TEXT.

cocksucker

leftover paste on the contacts is not good, conductive or not. Either can cause failure or shorts.
however, it's highly likely that the CPU was cleaned with a non-antistatic rag or something stupid and it has been killed by ESD.

99% of thermal pastes on the market aren't electrically conductive, you stupid shit. You can't "fry" your CPU or motherboard with them. You could dip your CPU in thermal paste and it'd be fine so long as you cleaned the contacts up enough for them to actually make contact with the pins. Creating a physical barrier is the absolute worst case possible scenario and one that's easily fixed with some rubbing alcohol.

This board is so fucking retarded.

Read the above, fucktard. You can't cause a short with a non-conductive material. That cannot happen. FUCK.

i know he probably didn't fry it, but how am i actually supposed to know through the internet, you stupid fuck? and no it's not an easy fix to clean gunk out of a fucking socket and you know it.

He's stupid and does not deserve an i9 if he can't even into BEING FUCKING CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING EXPENSIVE SHIT

you're in for a treat in cleaning this shit up but yes, it's doable

> out of a fucking socket
What do you mean, socket?

>you're in for a treat in cleaning this shit up but yes, it's doable
well, it's worth $1,200 so fuck it if it takes me 3 or 4 hours. Fucking CPUS have bettong pricer while RAM has been getting less expensive, so it's definitely worth it.
ANY SPECIFiC KIND OF SOLUTION OF ALCOHOL THAT ANYONE CAN RECOMMEND OTHER THAN RECOMMEND OTHAR THAN WHAT'S UP HERE ALREADY?\

have something called thermal material remover which, based on the description, looks like it will do bretty gud removing he shite.

> ANY SPECIFiC KIND OF SOLUTION OF ALCOHOL
95% ethanol.

Might be a moot point but do people think I'd be better off with those long fucking wooden-sticked cotton swab things to really get into and in-between shjt?

with enough patience regular paper towels can do the job, just go easy on it and it'll come off soon(ish) enough

Bro if he had watched a YouTube tutorial he wouldn't have done this

any thoughts on this shit from peple whow=ow what they're doing? can't get alcohol content but worked on last thing I used it for...

Attached: arcticccccccccc.png (2230x1282, 1.33M)

Well, it's from Arctic Cooling, so it's probably specifically designed for that.

OK, so now that I've ordered that, shall I post the pics of the 2 Gigabyte Motherboards that are supposedly fucked up and see if you ll can spot if and what is fucked up? This should be fun. No, you might b asking, why didn't he just turn it over to be from the outset and let me do it for him? Well, your guess is as good as mine.
In any event, will now post pictures.

Just listen to its postcodes.

Attached: IMG_3583.jpg (1632x1224, 903K)

Attached: IMG_3584.jpg (1632x1224, 857K)

Attached: IMG_3585.jpg (1632x1224, 811K)

PLEASE DO POINT OUT ANYTHING THAT LOOKS OBVIOUSLY FUCKED UP THE BOARDS

Attached: IMG_3586.jpg (1632x1224, 844K)

THESE WERE ALSO "HANDED DOWN" FROM 9 YEAR OLD NEPHEW WHO--ALONG WITH HIS FATHER-- COULD NOT MAKE WORK, SO PAID A RIP-GG ARTIST 3X THE PRICE FOR THE PARTS AND CHRIST ONLY KNOWS WHAT FOR THE LABOUR...

Attached: IMG_3587.jpg (1632x1224, 846K)

Attached: IMG_3588.jpg (1632x1224, 842K)

Attached: IMG_3589.jpg (1632x1224, 805K)

you're putting motherboards on the carpet you fucking retard

KEEP IN MIND, BETWEEN THESE 3 MOTHERBOARDS AND THE GODDAM CPUS IT'S ALMOST 3 FUCKING GRAND.....COMPLETE WASTE OF FUCKING SHEKELS..

Attached: IMG_3590.jpg (1632x1224, 730K)

>you're putting motherboards on the carpet you fucking retard
NO DIRECTLY ON, THERE,S A SMALL PIECE UNDER HOLDING IT OFF, NO DIRECT CONTECT..

do they post?
like try to read the post codes

This whole fucking thread, thank you god for the laughs. Listen here faggot, linus from linus fagg tips managed to unbend a pin on a mobo and make it function again, clean the cpu carefully with a dab of alcohol on a wtip, make sure no pins inside the chipset are bent, after taking these steps install and wait for post. If no post try removing sticks of ram testing one at a time. Make sure everything is connected properly
Good luck.
Sometimes i hate you rich people, sometimes.

Attached: 1547005541952.png (1277x772, 1.44M)

Attached: IMG_3591.jpg (1632x1224, 817K)

Fucking christ that cpu is cummed over proper, cleaning that is gonna suck big dicks, and it'll never be properly clean ever.

Attached: 1529737067798.png (958x591, 816K)

God, how in the fuck did he manage to squeeze and smear thermal paste all over the board, nothing important just wondering.

good thread

Attached: cantstoplaughing.jpg (2000x2000, 974K)

>the clear stuff you put atop the CPU to hopefully keep from overheating.
thermal paste is the most frequently used term, but it's been called other things

>Sometimes i hate you rich people, sometimes.
I'm piss poor mate. I got entire fucking thing from my nephew through my sister. Also, if you could write in someone other than run-on sentences and learn to use capital letters at beginning of sentences (it doesn't cost any shekels to be able to use basic grammar),that would be great.
Yeah, I get all that. The goal here is to post these pics and see if there are other arises like me who are attic about...spotting a dent or whatever where it does not belong and then can tell me so I can either go to my my used copy of "Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs" 22nd edition and see if I can fix or realize that Im fucked.
I fucking love hearing that I'm "a rich fag" as I sit here with a goddam cavity eating away at the back left of my fucking mouth because I can't afford to get the fucker pulled.

Attached: IMG_3592.jpg (1632x1224, 635K)

>how in the fuck did he manage to squeeze and smear thermal paste all over the board, nothing important just wondering.
Was not there. If true to form, his father got grunk and took too many pills, began arguing with my sister, his father walked out after promising to help him, nephew got pissed and just fucking did his best to destroy the fucker.

>grunk
*DRUNK
It's actually wonderful sense of fucking detachment working on something that isn't mine, but if by some miracle I DO manage to fix the fucker, then it is mine, but it's not life and death as in I NEEED x NOW. It's pretty cool. Now I can understand why ppl like fixing computers for a living.

Attached: IMG_3593.jpg (1632x1224, 663K)

One more to go. IF YOU LOOK AT THESE-- esp if you have one-- please, please, look to see if anything seems fucked up to you while I do same with pictures from net and the fucking guidebook. If all seems good, I can wash it with the shit tomm, have a GPU, and so all ready to fucking go. thanks lads.

Attached: IMG_3594.jpg (1632x1224, 621K)

Honestly, aside for two missing locking clips on pci express slots on one board, I don't see damage on any of those boards, and the thermal paste on the cpu is irrelevant if it's a non conductive paste. Clean it with alcohol, it will always look stained, but it should work just the same.

Last fucking one. If you can find anything wrong, bent, whatever that I'm not seeing, PLESE fucking tell me, since I need to cosider other more autistic than I am. thanks fags.

Attached: IMG_3595.jpg (1632x1224, 943K)

Yeah yeah, listen you poor sucker stuck in the middle, take better fucking pics, with better lighting, the pins in the socket must all be uniform and even, nothing must be bent or slightly out of line, they must literally be perfectly aligned, from the pics there doesn't seem to be any bent pin. That's the most important thing with the motherboard , the rest is ok as long as your retarded nephew didn't smear thermal paste in every hole you should be good, might be a good idea to keep the boards in their antistatic bags so they don't collect dust and micro particles inside the socket.

>Honestly, aside for two missing locking clips on pci express slots on one board, I don't see damage on any of those boards, and the thermal paste on the cpu is irrelevant if it's a non conductive paste. Clean it with alcohol, it will always look stained, but it should work just the same.
THANKS MATE, NOTED. MISSING LOCKING CLIPS ON PCI EXPRESS.

You plug them in and see if they work. You can't just look at it and see if it's fucked or not. That's like looking at a 9v battery and discerning whether or not it has charge left in it.

Looks good, unless there are bent pins under the metal cover that I can't see.
Listen, it's very clear if there are bent pins, it looks like pic related, it's a very noticeable break in the pattern.

Attached: Motherboard-CPU-Socket-Repair-Fix-Serivce-for-bent.jpg (400x266, 39K)

It's all gucci enjoy your i9 faggot

>their antistatic bags
may have to try to order those, see how much they are, thanks for the tip...

theres an SSD in one of the boards, remove it and see if that changes anything.

I was hoping somebody would mention this. People actually do this... Holy fuck...

nah, I think I'm OK from that angle mate.

There are actually people on Jow Forums who don't know what a CPU socket is...

:/ what the fuck, you don't have the grey bags and boxes with which the shit came with?? Don't let it collect dust, they aren't supposed to be in the open like that without a chip inside. Make sure you aren't putting them in normal plastic bags it will create static . Just put them in the box and leave them so it doesn't accumulate shit flying around in the air.

>People
Not exactly "people," more like pre-pubescent boys throwing a fit since his father wouldn't help him set up his computer (given his father's IQ, he probably did just well to quirt to shit everywhere and allow him to get one where he just picks the parts and some Lymie in London puts it together.
Talk about stupid people who make a lot of fucking money? My brother-in-law must be the numbest person big greasy guinea, and yet he makes more from "trading" with his company in a month than the avg honest, hardworking person makes in a year.

nah, I got it now. I really just got the fucker sunday afternoon so I'm adjusting. maybe I'll speed up that fucking amazon dustbin order from thurs to tomm.

Imagine having this much resentment

I think--THINK--hey left me the boxes, but would bee to be short

Use your nephew to extract funds from your inlaw and live the dream of neetdom and abundance.

>this much resentment
dude...not to sound...if you had any idea the levels of insanity in my family, not just biological but also social (tis has 2 grandparents on 2 diff sides who offed themselves), it becomes...more understandable.
In any event, thanks lads, gonna find me the dust bag that hopefully came with the box for the fucker, I have a spare case, have the fans, a water cooler, 32 RAM off to the fucking race!!