I decided to encode all my music from flac to opus...

I decided to encode all my music from flac to opus, is there anything I need to know about the process or pic is all I have to do?

Attached: opus.png (1626x889, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

opus-codec.org/release/stable/2018/10/18/libopus-1_3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Not using ffmpeg

stop using proprietary bullshit software to encode your media files

>opus
enjoy your bitrot

oof

Attached: FFmpeg-Logo.png (1280x315, 19K)

Any specific reason why?

With actively developed lossy codecs, like opus, you'll want to use bleeding edge versions of all involved software. Otherwise, your music library will rapidly become obsolete; you won't be using the latest psychoacoutstic tricks, and your files won't be as small as they could be. The software pictured here, "xencode", seems to be running on Windows, which means it's probably bundled with its own very old codec versions. Basically, install Arch Linux.

opus is the superior format but vorbis has better compatibility, so you might consider converting to that instead. both are good.

better to set the bitrate for 160 for opus though. 128 is a bit lower than i'd be comfortable with going. for vorbis, -q5 or -q6 should give transparent results.

also, make sure your version of the opus or vorbis encoder is the latest available.

xiph recommends 96-128K VBR for stereo. For 5.1 channel, they recommend 160kbps. 96-128k vbr produces clear transparent songs/audio quality, so there isn't any quality issues. They've done plenty of double blind ABX tests for that. So personal "feels" don't matter when the results are in.

I want to sync music between desktop, laptop and phone but last two don't have nearly as much storage space.
Everything I use support opus so that's not an issue. Thanks for the tips.

dude just use spotify

Dude just use subsonic or a free derivative

I never said I want to stream.

I'd just like to interject for a moment.
There isn't a better lossy codec in terms of compression or overhead than flac.
While it's true you'd need uber high end gear and golden ears to hear any difference from good lossy encodes, if you have a quad core processor and ample storage space, why is compression an issue at all?
If you ever want to burn those files to a cd for play on a decent stereo, you will tell the difference.
If you have devices where storage space is at a premium, why not transcode to a suitable compression, and limit the size of the library on that device? It only takes a few minutes to transcode new files to replace ones you are listening to much anymore, and this keeps you from getting bored with your limited library.

So I tried to encode one file in ffmpeg and this is what I got. Is this how how it supposed to be or did I fuck something up? The commands I used: --vbr --comp 10 --bitrate 128

Attached: 04 - Cave of Mind (Howl's Moving Castle).png (1920x1937, 3.31M)

If you're sure you want to rip all your flacs to opus I'd recommend using the latest opus encoder itself.

opus-codec.org/release/stable/2018/10/18/libopus-1_3.html

>not streaming your flac from your home server to your devices

That's what I did. Or at least I think I did.
This time I tried xrecode and it looks much closer to original levels but now there's a weird noise between 15.5KHz and 20KHz. I have no idea which is lesser of two evils.

Attached: 04 - Cave of Mind (Howl's Moving Castle).opus xrec 2.png (1920x974, 1.85M)

Crank up the bitrate. Most people literally can't tell 128-192 vbr opus from the flac source so 192 is a safe high ceiling that should eliminate that anomaly if it's even noticeable at all.

At 192kb opusenc result pretty much didn't change, while xrecode result got levels lowered. Also I learned that xrecode uses opusenc.exe as well, even if older version. I have no idea what the fuck am I doing and what am I supposed to actually get.

Attached: 04 - Cave of Mind (Howl's Moving Castle).opus xrecode 192.png (1920x974, 1.25M)

Do some 128 and 192 abx tests on different songs. Opus is designed to be audibly lossless to humans not to robots. If you can tell 128 apart from flac source in any song then use 192.

Hearing is unreliable. Besides I just want to confirm that I didn't fuck anything up because I have zero experience in audio encoding. Maybe slightly lower levels are normal, I just don't know.

Nobody wastes time like Jow Forums does

>Hearing is unreliable.
iktf, was on a few rounds of antibiotics for a nasty 3 month long ear infection and now I have a car alarm installed inside my skull that won't every fucking stop. Hearing aids only seem to anger it.