/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What do you use optical discs for?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: 1551007849241.jpg (4000x2664, 3.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sony-BDP-CX7000ES-Blu-ray-Changer-Black/dp/B002JIMRFC
mysysadmintips.com/windows/clients/462-vlc-this-blu-ray-disc-needs-a-library-for-aacs-decoding
funtoo.org/Playing_Blu-ray
amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Internal-Rewriter-WH14NS40/dp/B007VPGL5U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3CPYFDYPZAGV1&keywords=blu ray drive&qid=1551247447&s=gateway&sprefix=blu ray drive,aps,198&sr=8-3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine
techcrunch.com/2018/02/09/the-special-data-device-spacexs-falcon-heavy-sent-to-orbit-is-just-the-start/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_CD-ROM
instructables.com/id/Build-an-Amazing-Tesla-CD-Turbine/
asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/
makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Giving UHD bluray rips to a friend with a 4k monitor but has shitty internet.

Optical discs are dead son.

proof?

daemontools

I gave the optical drive that I never used once on my 2011-built pc to my dad's newly built computer in 2016.
He haven't used it once either.

Do any blu-ray jukeboxes exist?

Specifically ones that can hook up to a PC and act as a drive.

I still buy optical because music is my passion and I like collecting releases. I've recently had to buy a bluray drive because one of the artists I like has a release I want on bluray which is like 8 hours long. Not sure how big that's going to be ripped to FLAC.

Apparently yes
amazon.com/Sony-BDP-CX7000ES-Blu-ray-Changer-Black/dp/B002JIMRFC

Read old things (decades of cdrom and my entire dvd collection I don't have an actual tv dvd player), and make bootdvds

Yesterday I learned that it was impossible to initialize a new blu-ray from an rdp session, even if explorer os running as admin. I had to log on my physical pc with a monitor and keyboard to initialize the disk... also you didn't reply to my email you asshole é_é

Okay I replied, but the messages aren't going through. I hoped you would come to another /odg/ thread, so I'm telling you. I did reply, but then I got a letter from the admins saying the message didn't go through. I have no idea what it is, we might try using discord if you have that or I might use another mail account.

>also you didn't reply to my email you asshole é_é
Did you get the new one from anonmail?

I'm using a shitty bbs server that's probably broken af lol. Will send another email with another email address this time on a trustworthy provider

Yeah, you better do that, I've been wasting time figuring out how to fix the issue. You can even use protonmail, which I recommend.

Questions and pictures of discs are appreciated.

How do you rip a UHD disc? I tried, but it won't even recognize the disc.

only certain drives will do it

How do I know if a drive is rip-enabled, then?

>Audio blu rays are already a dead medium

Attached: 1550078840864.jpg (721x1018, 151K)

What would be the purpose of them anyways
>old decks won't play them because CD only
>you can buy lossless rips from the artists and burn it to your own bluray

There are lists online

UHD friendly drives:

LG BE16NU50
LG WH16NS40
LG BH16NS40
ASUS BW-12B1ST
ASUS BC-12D2HT
ASUS BW-16D1HT
ASUS BW-16D1HT-PRO
LG BH16NS55
LG WH16NS58

UHD official drives:

LG WH16NS60
LG BU40N
LG BU50N

thanks user

slightly better list

Attached: 2019-02-26 13_51_59.png (1243x1377, 458K)

>sometimes buy animu BDs from Japan
>literally no good player on PC
I know they are collectibles and I buy them for that reason, but still it would be nice to have a payback function.

Burning it yourself is just not the same

Sure thing. But what would be their purpose. What kind of technical advantage could audio blurays offer than regular audio CD's don't besides having 1 optical disc for what would normally be a 2 CD album?

BRs have a higher sound resolution, it's something of value

>BRs have a higher sound resolution, it's something of value
I dare you to prove me in a blind test you can hear the difference.

I accept, let's do it later.

They make good coasters

its called mpv

My car has an old CD player, so I burned a bunch of variously themed CD's and drew cute logos on them

Attached: 1548982019846.jpg (221x455, 52K)

>Optical Disc
inconvenient, fragile, non-rewritable

worst storage media ever!

Keep in mind that some of them may need a firmware downgrade

Vlc or mpv. In the worst case scenario rip them with makeMKV

OS installs and music for my car. Optical discs are gonna be a part of my life for a while.

Scarecrows

I've got a copy of windows 95 back in the field to scare the birds off
but magpies get attracted by the shiny things so it's not super useful

Not sure if you are right or you never tried to play back a real BD.

When the EMP hits, optical media will be all that is left to put the pieces back together again.

thats why i put nina norths entire library on an mdisc

Attached: Favor for a favor-3473808-[00.00.000-00.30.458].webm (918x480, 2.79M)

I put the disc in and mpv pops up, it even shows the chapters' markers on the seekbar

VLC requires you to download the AACS key, but it's super easy to find online.

mysysadmintips.com/windows/clients/462-vlc-this-blu-ray-disc-needs-a-library-for-aacs-decoding

>VLC
the fuck

Heh when I was in high school (01-05) for cds in the car I had to use a cassette tape adapter, now kids are getting cars that default have cd players in them. High school me is jelly.

you would be way better off with a tape adapter than a cd player now

MPV requires the AACS key as well, just like VLC

funtoo.org/Playing_Blu-ray

Attached: 2019-02-26 18_03_33.png (718x401, 45K)

I guess that's true, I actually still have the adapter. Just at the time it was still cool to have a cd player in your car.

then download it?

i'm not him buddy, i'm just letting you know it's not as simple as you're implying.

K

bump

Alright lads, will test later, thanks.

>inconvenient
Completely false
>fragile
Not with Durabis and extra hard coating
>non-rewritable
Check out what DVD-RAM is, it's in the OP. Whole 100'000 write cycles.

Is it common for a Blu-ray drive to die after lots of use? I have a drive that no longer reads Blu-ray discs. It just makes clicking sounds while trying to read the discs. It still reads regular DVD discs.

Its a 6-8 year old drive I bought used from Ebay. I owned it for around 5 years. However I ripped a bunch of Blu-rays with it, still not some insane amount.

I tried cleaning the laser as a last measure but I guess I will need to buy a new one.

Would a ~50 USD do or should I look into buying a different one?
amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Internal-Rewriter-WH14NS40/dp/B007VPGL5U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3CPYFDYPZAGV1&keywords=blu ray drive&qid=1551247447&s=gateway&sprefix=blu ray drive,aps,198&sr=8-3

I’ve killed a DVD drive after about 7 days of continuous use. So sure, it can happen.

I honestly don't see why not. BD-R drives are commodified tech. I mean shit, I can get a DVD burner for 5 USD at the thrift store that works fine, or 14 USD new at the local computer store.

Ok, thanks.

The only people that think optical media is durable are people that haven't been using optical media very long.

Attached: autism-asshole-disease.jpg (600x750, 45K)

t. bought india-maxe discs only
Medical-grade cd-r's and M-DISC's are a thing, though.

I use mine to move files from all my machines

But need to find out how to print my own CD-ROM cd's for CDROM for the windows 95 machine I have.

I've used most brands of cd-r and dvd-r sold in stores.

Had maybe 400 or so in anime, few hundred in psx discs, few hundred in dreamcast. After a decade or so of minimal use and proper storage in binders that zip up, enough of them threw IO errors that I just binned all of them and started considering DVDr a use once and throw away media.

>turns out organic dye rots, wow
Next time use BD-R or RW discs or DVD-RAM since they are inorganic.

>all my machines
So you're using optical media for transferring files between PC's? That's pretty nice, I have a disc I use as a flash drive, it's an 8cm DVD+RW.

building my tesla turbine with 10 CDs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine

What are you using it for?

it is still in construction

later I'll like to use the pressure of tap water to convert into small amount of electricity (glow some LEDs))

Well it's going. I should've turned off defect management.

Attached: Screenshot_20190227_222352.png (616x502, 122K)

Can you post a pic? Just curious

yes, was thinking about it: have to seach the correct project box :- )

>tfw we ALMOST had consumer grade holodiscs but funding was cut due to the rise of streaming and less demand in optical disc storage
We were THIS close guys.

ikr I think the company that invented HVD simply went bankrupt. Imagine having Tb discs in varying capacity by now. Fugg.

Couldn't it be a viable alternative to tape backups? I mean tape backups are still common(ish) for servers still, but even they have to go the way of the dodo eventually.

It could, but we can only speculate. So far many high-capacity discs have been made for different purposes.
techcrunch.com/2018/02/09/the-special-data-device-spacexs-falcon-heavy-sent-to-orbit-is-just-the-start/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_CD-ROM
But were never released for the consumer.

well, this is not yet the turbine; it is the hitch(coupling) because the turbine is in a CD spindle pack with straming water and the hitch is set outside and with the glued neodym magnets it move with the turbine and at the two screws I will attach the connection to dynamo.
If I found the turbine I'll post the pic later

Attached: IMG_20190227_124535.jpg (1944x2592, 653K)

can't find it, but here are some similar photos:

instructables.com/id/Build-an-Amazing-Tesla-CD-Turbine/

If I burn a DVDISO to a DVD MDISC will it play on a PS2?

It should, M-DISC boasts its compatibility with standard drives for reading, however I don't know how PS2 copy protection works. If you bypass it, I'm pretty sure even an M-DISC DVD will do.

I thought it would be
>fun
to burn DVDISOs I downloaded from torrent sites, just because I've never done it before. Any DVD you torrent should have its copy protection broken, but I haven't got to test it myself.

Spoonfeed me on a good mdisc compatible bluray burner. Can I burn these on Linux?

>CD already good enough for literally 99% of listeners
>Web FLAC like Bandcamp can be just as good with more ways to play it
>SACD and DVD-A both failed when piracy and streaming were less common
>Nobody gives a shit about audio quality. iTunes plus and other formats were a non issue.

The only thing Blu Ray audio has going for it is convienence and better chance of being connected to a nice sound system.

I don't cry for the loss of higher bitrates, but losing multi channel releases and even CD quality audio in some cases is sad.

I recommend external ASUS SBW-06D2X-U and ASUS BW-16D1X-U drives (I have both of them). As for drivers, you can find those on their website so I suppose they'd work on Linux, too.

>external
Why?

I don't have any experience with internal M-DISC drives, though they have them on their website asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/

As for general info on M-DISC technology, I don't think burning on different drives is supported. I burned a whole backup disc of photos on one drive, then added a few more on the other and my disc became corrupt.

bump

I can post DVD-RAM pictures so the thread doesn't die.

Please post DVD-RAM, I want to see it.

8cm one in a caddy

Attached: 1539724968701.jpg (1673x1952, 502K)

12 cm one

Attached: tmp.jpg (3968x2976, 2.97M)

Look at what just arrived, /odg/!

Attached: IMG_20190227_185218.jpg (2560x1920, 1.92M)

RAM2 high-speed disc

Attached: IMG_20190227_205034.jpg (3968x2976, 2.57M)

That's some great news! Already got the HD DVD's you wanted to rip or you're going to get them in the future?

Seems to be working fine in the hackintosh.
No HD DVDs yet, maybe I'll buy some next week. For now I'm going to test it with a BD and makemkv.
Nevermind that, the fuck is this? There's no newer version on the website.
Any alternatives?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 19.21.14.png (569x649, 113K)

Nvm fixed it.
makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Still, any alternatives to this for macOS or GNU/Linux?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 19.25.16.png (678x759, 149K)