/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: godiwishthatweremeontheleft.jpg (736x1105, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#Appliance_couplers
amazon.com/dp/B076YHBQYJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vExDCbADH3J67
amazon.com/dp/B07G11G2X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.MxDCb8BBJJE5
youtu.be/3xXwQQZGE1U?t=63
cpu-world.com/Compare/657/Intel_Core_i7_i7-9700K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-9700KF.html
cyberport.at?DEEP=2002-59N
cyberport.at/?DEEP=2002-5A3
alternate.at/Intel/Core-i7-9700KF-Prozessor/html/product/1503091
alternate.at/Intel/Core-i7-9700K-Prozessor/html/product/1479476
audiohostings.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is Docker such cancerous shit for faggots?

Need help quick, if someone can.

I need to transfer 6 TB of data from one drive to another in Windows 10. What application best performs this task aside from Window's default? Reason being Windows keeps erroring and when it encounters a problem, it stalls.

I'm trying to make something where if the user presses ctrl and then clicks the "delete" key, instead of deleting 1 character from the field, the entire screen gets cleared

I'm trying to do this using KeyEvent in java
Can someone help? I can't find any examples where someone has done something similar where you hold down button and click a JButton

rsync on linux

robocopy

i think norton ghost lets you clone a drive in windows. but you should do it from a livecd with dd if=/old/hdd of=/new/hdd

I don't need to clone a drive, just get most of the files from a drive

Do you think TeraCopy will let me get the job done?

I'm looking for a sata to usb 3 thing to use these two spare hdd's I've got that I'm not using currently. I see that these come in just the cable with the connecter, or as a sort of dock that you slide the hdd into. Is there any major downside to just the connector? The docks obviously look nicer, but they also cost more and take up more space so I'm tempted to get the alternative.

How can I edit certbot or my certificates so that my website only uses HTTPS? I made the mistake of letting HTTP and HTTPS when I should have made it HTTPS only

Attached: IMG_7141.png (658x550, 23K)

I hooked up a sata harddrive in windows 10.. when I go to disk management, the disk is not there, and of course it's not seen by explorer either. What gives?

What's wrong?

Just redirect.

Where do Jow Forumsentoomen host their software? I want to try out version control via git but github is completely pozzed up and botnet.

How do I make my server "always on"? I want them to restart automatically if the power goes out for an extended period.

>is completely pozzed up and botnet
What? Just use GitHub, retard. Or buy a VPS/self host if you're a schizo.

Never reply to me again mentally fucked discord tranny

Alright I was gonna do this but I thought I fucked up by not selecting the option at the start.

Does anyone know if you can set the windows magnifier to just be on options bar that appears when you right click? Instead of Windows key +

My eyes are bad even with glasses on

Attached: 1550895165535.gif (727x500, 121K)

Looking deeper into this, it seems that because I shucked this drive from an external enclosure, that's caused some problems with the drive.

It's a brand new one never powered on. Are there any options for me to get this drive recognized by windows?

My school has some 2017 5K iMacs, and I have a Thinkpad X200. Both are using WiFi, yet the iMacs are so much faster. When I open google.com on the iMac, the site loads in a tenth of a second. When I open google.com on my Thinkpad, the screen is white for about a second and then the page loads. What could be some reasons why the iMac is faster, and what can I do to make my Thinkpad load faster?

Attached: 4cbbbb2741.gif (630x414, 2.1M)

The iMacs have a faster hardware, you can't
Do you bother waiting a second for the page load?
Post a video
also fuck off

is it true that having less then 50 gb free space on your ssd can cause it damage/failure?

My gtx970 had been running kinda hot since forever and I finally got around to buying more thermal paste and redoing it. The end result was idle temps dropping from ~56C to ~43C with a sort of a keep quiet fan curve. The problem is that the card still hits its 80C temp limit under heavy load with fans at 100%. If I raise the limit to 90C it'll shortly climb up there.

I did my best to clean the dust off the card but it seems that it wasn't enough. Is this a case of a shitty cooler or is there something more I can do? As far as I understand the card is thermal throttling though according to Afterburner it's also hitting 100% usage so maybe it isn't? I feel really stupid about this but even if I've been building my own PCs since I was like 12 I've never really had any fancy builds and never really put that much thought into thermals.

Those boys are so cute!

>Having issues with 2.4ghz internet
>I have 5ghz but my adapter isn't compatible with Linux
>Turn off these two options
>2.4ghz is okay now
Can anyone explain why it's fixed now?

Attached: wifi.png (217x67, 4K)

Bios power options

My new monitor shipped with one of these normal chords, but it has a british plug. I need a normal plug like in the picture.
Can I just use a European/German cable instead?

(repost from last thread, didn't see new one was up)

Attached: serveimage.jpg (910x780, 279K)

Yes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#Appliance_couplers

/mkg/ is no help so I'll ask here. What's a great mechanical keyboard for less than $100? I was looking on Amazon and saw these but wasn't sure how trustworthy they were
amazon.com/dp/B076YHBQYJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vExDCbADH3J67
amazon.com/dp/B07G11G2X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.MxDCb8BBJJE5

youtu.be/3xXwQQZGE1U?t=63

Thank you!

Attached: 1 you.jpg (3840x2160, 1.46M)

freefilesync

Obviously it's a bit less protection for the drive, but as long as the cable is made for 3.5 inch drives it's fine. In practical terms that usually means having an external power source.

You might need to mod your cables or buy a special one for shucked drives. Some of them have a pin that's not compatible with a lot of home PSUs, so the drive just won't run.

Not unless your drive is like 7+ years old. Not having 10-15 gb free might slow it down a bit if it's cheap enough to not have any overprovisioning built in.

Why is turning off my laptop using REISOU faster than a normal shutdown? Is turning off my laptop via REISOU every time going to bite me in the long run?

Attached: hmmm.jpg (700x393, 30K)

user I hope you're not serious...

How do I measure my local network speed? I want to be able to stream 1080p films from a local server to various devices over WiFi

is privoxy any good?

How do I record webms on my pc?

there's iperf
or you could just try it out

I'm unironically asking a retarded question b/c I don't know the answer.

Attached: 1548984001376.jpg (483x461, 31K)

I don't know much about creating torrents. I'm using Transmission.
How can I create a torrent so that only people clicking the magnet
link can have access to it ? And how can I obtain this magnet link ?
Do I need to add public trackers and/or upload it to a specific host
(tpb, etc...) ?

cpu-world.com/Compare/657/Intel_Core_i7_i7-9700K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-9700KF.html
fucking WHY?!
everything is the same except the new kf is missing vpro sipp and intel trusted shit
same price.

why would anyone buy the 9700kf over the 9700k?

What's the best alternative to Microsoft Office and why? Is Libreoffice as good as it sounds?

Attached: 1526427671166.jpg (730x780, 402K)

I need a bag/case like this one to transport a full tower on a coach, but I can't find any available. Any recommendations?

Attached: Thermaltake_CarryBag_news.jpg (400x504, 36K)

What are those two wires and what is missing on left (not disk)

Attached: USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1647994286.jpeg_1551205756522.jpg (1080x607, 97K)

kek. just press clt+alt+f4 and power key.
if you have systemd that might be what's causing slow shutdown. seriously that shit might have been phoning during shutdown since at one point it shut itself down immediately when I removed my usb wifi or wifi killswitch on another laptop

best alt to office is office cracked to not pay for it
then google docs
then libreoffice
open office is shit

Attached: USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1876824909.jpeg_1551205910118.jpg (1080x604, 78K)

get a canvas bag, wrap unattached cargo straps. makeshift handle. apply zip-ties as needed.

One cable is white and second is black

Attached: USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--252323317.jpeg_1551205932073.jpg (1080x604, 103K)

Those are from the wifi card.
Usually it goes like this
"in the beginning there is darkness then there is light"
right to left. black to white but on Intel cards it is usually reversed, you can refer to the color of sticker arrows.
On other cards the order doesn't matter but there are cards that don't like that. Might be anode polarization.

wireless antenna (wifi and/or bluetooth and/or SIM)

Thanks mate, I need this shit for work. I'll give Libreoffice a go.

You should also plug the wires into the card but be careful as it can break if forced in the wrong way.
The missing piece is just another mini pcie slot that the manufacturer removed.
Those are wifi card antennas and also work as bluetooth antenna on dual cards. It should be connected to the card.

>right to left.
Sorry it was supposed to be left to right.
all me

other than corporate greed and to keep people buying the next upgrade,

why cant we have cpu cache as big as our ram? (assuming we could afford it)
is there any reason why cache is capped at a few MB (8-16MB on most modern CPUs)?
why not have the option to give your CPU cache 128MB, 512MG, 1GB? 16GB?

Attached: 1550982824906.jpg (1417x940, 343K)

Is C just the compiler?

I mean, does C exist without the compiler? To me it seems that the compiler is the language itself. It is the compiler that defines the language, and we, humans, pass instructions to the compiler. Of course, we defined the compiler too.

But what I mean is, the compiler turns our code into machine code. Of course, it is then a buffer between human and machine, but that buffer defines the human language accepted by the machine, and thus it defines the language.

To me it seems that the compiler came before the language. Am I raving mad?

Also, could you point me towards good compiler books? I never thought I'd say this but I think I want to learn how compilers work, nitty gritty.

the bigger the cache the slower it is

thank you user i really appreciate

what math am I even supposed to be doing here?
am I just taking the 16 bits and multiplying by 34?
>there was no book for this class
but at least I get to take all my tests on Linux machines.

Attached: Capture.png (692x254, 50K)

I'd say the partition starts at address 512 * 2^20 * 33

Not true but maybe true to most cheap ssd.
Even if you delete such files, files usually remain. What it does is usually just delete pointers to that address and your OS just thinks it's free space.
If you want to try how slow true deletion is uncheck 'quick format' on a test flash drive. Truly deleting a file into zeroes will just reduce life span of your ssd

Good question, user!
I didn't even know the i7-9700KF was even a thing.

Attached: 52602927_3311972512183666_5824738886244368384_n.jpg (952x734, 60K)

the kf one is cheaper here than the k one.
how much varies from store to store.

but wouldn't it be just 34*512?

>the kf one is cheaper here than the k one.
>how much varies from store to store.
where?
prices?

Attached: same price.jpg (628x688, 87K)

No on-chip GPU for the 9700KF
pay more for less because reasons!

it says byte-addressed, so you have to convert the MiB to bytes. I'd say the 34th sector starts at 33*512*2^20, like the first sector starts at 0*512*2^20

cyberport.at?DEEP=2002-59N
473 for the K

cyberport.at/?DEEP=2002-5A3
454 for the KF

some more examples.
alternate.at/Intel/Core-i7-9700KF-Prozessor/html/product/1503091
alternate.at/Intel/Core-i7-9700K-Prozessor/html/product/1479476

Thanks senpai

Thanks that was the answer they were looking for. Even though I'm an idiot I'll just write down 420000000 I guess

Attached: Capture.png (480x509, 22K)

Is there an Android app that will act as a bluetooth mic and use the phone audio as a source rather than the mic on the phone?

Had to return my Gigabyte 2070 because it died. It was a 2-slot GPU. The only EVGA GPU (2070 XC Ultra) in stock at the store I have store credit for is a 2.75 slot card. Is there any reason why this would be a problem in a mATX case/on a mATX board? There’s enough slots and I don’t plan to use the other PCI-e port.
I want to go with EVGA because I hear their customer support is the best, but the store has MSI 2070s in stock as well if they’re just as good.

Whats a cheap scanner printer I can get on Amazon that isn't going to cost $100 to replace the ink?

I want to order something anonymously, what else should I do besides using Tor and a public wifi?

buy refillable cartridges

Whats a Jow Forums certified USB headset?
i dont want nothing too expensive, just something with a mic

I want to kiss the red haired one to make him blush.

A VPN.

How to bluetooth pictures from old flip phone to new iphone.
USB is busted because of water damage, but they definitely see each other on bluetooth.

I want to be the red haired one and get kissed and blush
C is also libc and other libraries.

I want to make some application in WebAudio and Javascript that lets either stream from the computer's microphone or upload an existing file.
I could do the microphone part using
AudioContext.createMediaStreamSource(stream);

What do I need to do for this to work with a file you upload through a local file selector?

I use some software at work and every time windows 10 updates it fucking breaks and I have to reinstall everything. how do i disable updates without just disconnecting from the internet? i have windows 10 pro. windows 7 is not an option, the hardware is too new

what specific model is the flip phone?

Metered internet connection + WSUS Offline.

Jow Forums posts look red to me, and the names look dark green (I can't see colors well) on my pc but on mobile they look green, as I remember from a long time ago they are supposed to. What should I change my gamma to?

why cant we have ram as big as our hard drives? (assuming we could afford it)
is there any reason ram is capped at a few GB (8-16 GB on most modern sticks?)
why not have the option to give your RAM capacity 128GB, 512GG, 1TB? 16TB?

Why are computers so cryptic? I thought my 3 months old PSU was giving me the issue of the shutdown/sometimes rebooting before getting into win 7, sometimes nothing happening and no beeps whatsoever. So I do the "leave 1 memory stick to see if it works", it booted normally, so I try to put both and run memtest86, but it won't boot to the fucking USB, but now win 7 runs fine. I'm not sure if it's the mem stick or it's the slot fucking up

what's even more cryptic is that this type of thing doesn't happen to normies somehow

My router will only show some connected devices. For example my phone is connected and it is downloading a torrent but the router can't see that it's connected at all. Any ideas? Already rebooted

If I have a processor with integrated graphics in a system with a dedicated graphics card, could I run a display cable from the motherboard and then pass through the discrete graphics to a VM?

Why does Windows 10, seemingly at random, decide to have functional thumbnails for a few select webms?
It makes no sense to me, some of them get thumbnails and I have no idea why they do.

Why the fuck will my keyboard read all my key inputs at the same time if I press, for example, 10 keys at once, but wont repeat them? Here's an example:

HNKLJFDVASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I pressed them at the exact same time. Only 'S' repeats.

Alright, any apt/apt-get wizards out there?

I can't run any apt-get operations, (Say apt-get purge) Anytime I run anything, I get about 75 Errors, something like
>firefox-esr-l10n-** : Depends firefox-esr (>= 60.6.0esr-1~deb9u1) but 60.3.0esr-1~deb9u1 is installed

I just want to be able to use apt again, is there anything I can do to clear it from operating?
Running apt-get --fix-broken install just ends up returning

>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any ideas? I can provide more info if needed

are there any free audio hosting sites that I can use to embed the audio (in a simple html site for example) without any fancy player design or anything like that (like soundcloud or bandcamp does)? just straight up your brower's default player and that's it

A bit odd, but I believe soundgasm allows for free audio hosting (With an account, I think) you could try putting something up there and calling it from an audio tag. (Keep in mind soundgasm is NSFW, so I'd keep looking for something similar)

Other than that, is there something preventing you from hosting the mp3 on the same server the html file is?

What's a good, relatively inexpensive (up to $20-$30) PCI-E x1 NIC? I have a NAS and it's using the integrated NIC but it only gets around 60MB/s which is poor for gigabit. It could be the CPU being too slow but I think a dedicated NIC will help and will also free up the CPU in the process. I'm guessing something Intel based but any specific chipsets known for good performance would help too.

Attached: noname-nic.jpg (1065x629, 80K)

i'm not hosting it myself i'm just using a free service to fuck around in and the fancy media players mess with the ~a e s t h e t i c~ of the site. just silly stuff but I'd figure I ask

Kiwi6, according to this link
audiohostings.com/
seems to be what your looking for

Is Wireshark hard to use or am I being a brainlet? I'm trying to capture data from a phone connected to my router. I can ping the phone and get a response but the only data wireshark picks up is MDNS requests