github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):

profile=gpu-hq

Configuration Files:
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
mpv.io/manual/master/#files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if you're asking performance related questions.

Windows Builds:
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/

(Updated with the other ewa* scalers) Evaluating mpv's upscaling algorithms:
artoriuz.github.io/mpv_upscaling.html

Attached: 1428688179637.png (640x640, 323K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5005
reddit.com/r/mpv/
gist.github.com/shabbir-hasan/2b096ebb554e029faa476728f3b5c741
pastebin.com/xjxSqh7F
pastebin.com/Gytq4ykZ
github.com/rossy/mpv-repl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what the hell is shift+minus doing, and how do I stop it?

>shift+minus
You mean underscore?

Attached: mpbindings.png (1250x752, 186K)

# video
vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
temporal-dither=yes
blend-subtitles=yes
deband=no
hwdec=no
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation=yes
tscale=box
tscale-window=sphinx
tscale-radius=1.0
tscale-clamp=0.0

# audio
audio-channels=stereo
audio-normalize-downmix=yes
alang=jp,jpn,ja,jap,Japanese,en,eng,English
volume=100

# subs
slang=jp,jpn,ja,jap,Japanese,en,eng,English
sub-auto=fuzzy
sub-ass-force-style=Kerning=yes
demuxer-mkv-subtitle-preroll=yes

# sub styling for unstyled .ass (force on styled subs with "u")
sub-font="IPAexGothic"
sub-font-size=36
sub-margin-y=36
sub-color="#ffffff"
sub-border-color="#ff262626"
sub-border-size=2.2
sub-shadow-offset=1
sub-shadow-color="#33000000"
sub-spacing=0.5

# screenshots
screenshot-format=png
screenshot-high-bit-depth=no
screenshot-png-compression=9
screenshot-template="%F_[%P]_[%tY.%tm.%td][%tH:%tM:%tS]"

# osc
script-opts=osc-layout=bottombar,osc-seekbarstyle=slider,osc-deadzonesize=0

# osd
osd-bar=no
osd-font="Source Sans Pro"
osd-font-size=36
osd-border-size=1.6
osd-color='#ffffffff'
osd-border-color='#ff262626'
osd-shadow-offset=1
osd-shadow-color="#33000000"
osd-spacing=0.5
osd-status-msg='(${percent-pos}%) ${time-pos} / ${duration}\n${?chapter:Chapter: ${chapter}}'

# other
idle=no
geometry=50%:50%
autofit-larger=100%
no-hidpi-window-scale
ytdl=yes

# auto profiles
[extension.webm]
loop-file=inf

[protocol.http]
cache=yes
cache-default=2000000
cache-backbuffer=1000000
cache-initial=1000
cache-seek-min=2000
cache-secs=1000
pause=yes
keep-open=yes

[protocol.https]
cache=yes
cache-default=2000000
cache-backbuffer=1000000
cache-initial=1000
cache-seek-min=2000
cache-secs=1000
pause=yes
keep-open=yes

[horriblesubs]
profile-desc=cond:string.match(get("path", ""), "HorribleSubs")~=nil
deband=yes

>Updated with the other ewa* scalers
* and chroma

>not using VLC in 2019

Attached: laughing frog.jpg (260x194, 10K)

Ok, the key is literally just an underscore in input.conf. So '_ ignore' works.

your cache settings won't even work. you need to use demuxer

>you need to use demuxer
Are you sure? There's no mention in the cache section of the manual of that.

Which demuxer setting exactly are you saying I need?

>Are you sure?
it for sure dosen't do anything for me and I've tried high and low values for each "cache" setting. w10 january build if that matters which I don't think it does. We had this discussion in the last thread I don't know if you were around.

>profile-desc=cond:string.match(get("path", ""), "HorribleSubs")~=nil
Noice, was looking for a cond:string.match example for some time.

Use
demuxer-max-bytes=750M
demuxer-max-back-bytes=450M

Is there a way to input commands once playback has started on Windows? The command window doesn't let me input anything once I open a file. I tried
--input-terminal --terminal

There seems to be an unresolved issue pertaining to this:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5005

I'm not even piping anything, just opening from the command window.

>I'm also probably going to add PSNR-HMA
Use PSNR-HA, M is for noise masking, it's redundant for scalers comparison (unless deband isn't disabled). And if you remove the part of code that calculates PSNR-HMA (lines 134-138, 147-160) - it will be at least twice faster.

cache=yes
demuxer-seekable-cache=yes
demuxer-max-bytes=2GiB
demuxer-max-back-bytes=2GiB

this is how you control caching for local files and streaming. all these old cache settings do nothing anymore.

Why do people use EWA Lanczos if regular Lanczos is faster and scores higher on the structural similarity and PSNR tests?

Are you explicitly running "mpv.exe" from the windown cli?

if so, just run "mpv" with no extension and it should lanuch the windows console interface proper.

because lanczos might be more accurate but ewa_lanczossharp is more sharp

I've tried both. I've been using just mpv and it won't let me type commands, but it'll show the output. Typing mpv.exe will open the video and let me type commands but it won't show output at all

Shiiiiiiiet, this is a way better method (besides the enormous 16gb cache, what the fug). Thanks.

>all these old cache settings do nothing anymore.
Ah, I see. I was sure these settings used to work back when I used mpv for streaming regularly, but I hardly ever stream in mpv anymore so perhaps that's why I hadn't noticed the cache settings were defunct. or maybe they were just wrong all along.

So I guess the question is, why do so many knowledgeable people seem to value sharpness over accuracy? Isn't SSIM used as a measure for image quality?

I bet this is your post

Weird, that never happened to me. Check your %PATHEXT% I guess? Should output something like this:
> echo %pathext%
>.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.MSC;.VBS;.VBE

I assume your mpv is reasonably up to date?

memes

What is the best scaler and shader for upscaling old DVD quality anime to 1080p/1440p display?

Checked %PATHEXT% and everything seems to be fine. I've tested this on two machines (with different Windows versions) and it won't let me type during playback, even when I open the file running mpv.com.

Using latest lachs0r build.

try a couple recent builds by shinchiro then. lachs0r's lastest build works for me. I'm on win8.1.

I'm not. if my statement wasn't true why would these scalers exist in the first place?

>why would these scalers exist in the first place?
See

so someone spends his time and knowledge to make a shit scaler? gotcha

It happens.

Tried the last two shinchiro builds, still doesn't work. Exactly how are you opening the files?

>Exactly how are you opening the files?
the regular way:
>C:\>mpv G:\path\to\my\file.ext
pic related

Attached: mpv_cmd.exe.png (690x387, 284K)

But that looks like Linux. The > acts as an escape character on Windows.

>escape character
I mean redirect character

that's part of my PROMPT dummy.

Thanks, I'll probably go around it this week =D

And you can type commands during playback even without --input-terminal and --terminal?

Tbh it's probably never sharper. Lanczos is sharper on any realistic scaling ratio.

The Ewa scalers are good when going from super low resolutions to super high ones, with extravagantly ridiculous scaling ratios. And that's because they tend to round shit better.

>And you can type commands during playback
Yep, always did. I don't even recall a single build where terminal input on Windows wasn't fully functional. rossy did some improvements to windows terminal input back in 2016 but that was it.
>even without --input-terminal and --terminal?
Those lines were never part of my mpv.conf.

I hope nobody uses any of the configs posted over there
reddit.com/r/mpv/
fucking insane what fucking memes people come up with

Attached: 1545220126293.jpg (640x444, 53K)

gist.github.com/shabbir-hasan/2b096ebb554e029faa476728f3b5c741

Attached: 1550068720913.jpg (655x800, 50K)

lmao. this is gold.
>ewa_lanczossharp for dscale
>deband=no but has 4 additional parameters to bloat the config anyway
>complains about his GTX950 not being able to keep up when he hasn't even set hwdec to anything
what a bunch of fucking retards. holy shit.

Attached: leddit.png (1242x3757, 441K)

Weird, I don't know why such a fundamental thing would be broken for me. Two different machines on different OS and using several different builds. If I have the command prompt focused and try to type it'll just execute my keybindings as if the player had focus, or tell me that no keybind exists. This is while passing --no-config as well.

I was always under the impression that Lanczos was sharper than Jinc, with Jinc having less aliasing. What would you say is the scaling ratio threshold where EWA starts to outperform Lanczos?

>pic
kek

>If I have the command prompt focused and try to type it'll just execute my keybindings as if the player had focus
isn't that what the input-terminal command is supposed to do

>pastebin.com/xjxSqh7F
>pastebin.com/Gytq4ykZ

> If I have the command prompt focused and try to type it'll just execute my keybindings as if the player had focus, or tell me that no keybind exists.
Indeed, I'm very confused as to what your goal really is at this point user. Post screenshots or whatever.

wm4's commits coming this week.

isn't VLC using mpv's backend anyway

I want to be able to type commands while the player is running. Once I open a file the player opens and the output is shown in the command window but I get no prompt; it doesn't let me type anything. I've tried --input-terminal and --no-input-terminal but it still behaves as if the player has focus.

You need to use the input ipc server or something like github.com/rossy/mpv-repl

whats happening exactly?

r8

# VIDEO
profile=gpu-hq
gpu-api=vulkan
vulkan-async-compute=yes
vulkan-async-transfer=yes
vulkan-queue-count=1
scale=ewa_lanczos
cscale=mitchell
vd-lavc-dr=yes
vd-lavc-threads=32
glsl-shader=~~/shaders/FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl
glsl-shader=~~/shaders/KrigBilateral.glsl
hwdec=nvdec

# MISC
gpu-shader-cache-dir=C:/Users/Yui/AppData/Local/Temp/mpv-vk
#log-file=~~/log/log.txt

# COLOR MANAGEMENT
icc-profile-auto=yes
icc-cache-dir=C:/Users/Yui/AppData/Local/Temp/mpv-icc

# INTERPOLATION
interpolation=yes
tscale=box
tscale-window=sphinx
tscale-radius=1.0
tscale-clamp=0.0
deband-grain=0
deband-iterations=2
deband-range=12
deband-threshold=48
temporal-dither=yes

homu homu

Attached: tumblr_static_8a975ez9h18gc0g0g4g44o80g_640_v2.gif (640x360, 87K)

Is there a script for generating thumbnail sheets or do I need to download mpc just for that?

this is seriously the 4th time I've tried MPV and I don't understand it at all. Could someone please spoon feed me config that just works? I'm pulling out hair figuring this shit out.... what is even config for?

profile=gpu-hq

Unless you want to change something, you don't need a config.

Thanks. What if I DO want to change something like disable seekbar overlay when you skip foward 5s with arrow key. That's just an example, does the manual/wiki have everything?

Saw this on another thread; how good is this?

interpolation=yes
tscale=box
tscale-window=sphinx
tscale-radius=1.0
tscale-clamp=0.0

>does the manual have everything
Of course. It shows you how to make the file properly, and has all the available settings.
It's great if you like interpolation. Probably the best.

no-osd-bar in mpv.conf

You can disable the bar with osd-bar=no or change your input.conf with:
RIGHT no-osd seek 5
LEFT no-osd seek -5
UP no-osd seek 60
DOWN no-osd seek -60

Not to mention that you can't use Anti-ringing with EWA. --scale-antiring will only work with rectangular filters last I checked. Lanczos is better than EWA in every single way; it's faster, sharper, and more accurate; this can clearly be seen from objective tests. In subjective comparisons, however, EWA is sometimes preferred by people because it tends to blur out source artifacts. When people say that EWA Lanczos is better what they mean to say is that it's better because it's worse.

Attached: penis in vagina.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

>KrigBilateral
What's the point of this one?

why should I use this instead of VLC?

How does I use a decoder other than ffmpeg, I want to use the neroAacDec to decode AAC audio rather than ffmpeg.

fork

Is there really no way to reposition DVD subtitles using mpv?

what do you mean

is it possible to do keybind whitelist? I want to disable all keybinds except the ones I define in input.conf

DVDs use image-based subtitles. Image subtitles are implemented as a bitmap video stream which can be superimposed over the main movie. mpv's subtitle styling and positioning options and keyboard shortcuts generally do not work with image-based subtitles. Exceptions include options like --stretch-dvd-subs and --stretch-image-subs-to-screen.

I just started using it. It's very fast and plays video correctly (VLC has artifact and color issues for some media). Depending if you like to tinker or not it may not be for you.

>DVDs use image-based subtitles. Image subtitles are implemented as a bitmap video stream which can be superimposed over the main movie. mpv's subtitle styling and positioning options and keyboard shortcuts generally do not work with image-based subtitles.

Seems like such basic player functionality is missing in mpv. I can't move DVD subtitles around.

--no-input-default-bindings
>Disable mpv default (built-in) key bindings.

why?

ahhh thanks. I read that one as disable keybinds in general.

Can you move image-based subtitles around in any player?

is "up"encoding 8bit anime to 10bit the biggest fucking meme of our time? I've made my own test. fucking weebtrash placebo retards

Attached: stop encoding in 10bit you weebtrash.png (792x758, 23K)

its legit, not like most other things posted around here

Your settings are probably all fucked up. Also
>watching Archer
fucking kys

The main point of 10 bit encoding was to alleviate banding. The only people who ever had issues with it were poorfags running on ancient hardware with horrific CPUs.

settings fucked up? you fucking woot m8. newest ffmpeg build, these are the settings I've tested

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c libx264 -preset medium -crf 16 -tune animation h264_8bit.mkv
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c libx264 -preset medium -crf 16 -tune animation -pix_fmt yuv420p10le h264_10bit.mkv
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c libx265 -preset medium -crf 16 h265_8bit.mkv
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c libx265 -preset medium -crf 16 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le h265_10bit.mkv

also, hating on based archer. lmao @ your life. go watch your moe blobs wiggle with their titties some more

yeah I thought so. just checking the configs on the mpv reddit tells it all. basically sub 90 IQ weeb fags who have no money or brain to setup their trash properly

>using presets
newfag.
>based archer
Nothing made by Jews and broadcast on TalmudVision is "based". gtfo.

lmao. you know why these are presets? because they offer the widest range of compatibility and quality. post some quality settings yourself.

I expect some insane placebo settings which increases encoding times by atleast 3 times with no visibly difference at all. or even worse, no settings since you just talk out of your ass

I'm not sure what reddit has to do with anything. A 10 bit encode of an 8 bit source means that some colors will be rounded up or down (to "add" the extra information of color). This can be beneficial in situations where the quality of the source was fairly poor and had banding (often the case with anime). The extra color information can make the banding harder to perceive. 10 bit encoding was a thing before deband filters and the like were standard, so it was a pretty good, simple way to spruce up the source quality at the cost of some extra cpu. Nowadays, the difference isn't too important but 10-bit color displays and HDR content are much more common so there will be some more usage as time goes on.

Honestly, not one that's practical.

Here an image of a single black pixel being upscaled to retarded dimensions just to prove a point, this was done with ewa_lanczossharp.

Attached: mpv-shot0001.png (1280x1280, 174K)

And now the same shit on lanczos. You can see that the dark part in the middle will appear darker this time around, but with its edges having a weird rectangular shape around what looks round.

Attached: mpv-shot0002.png (1280x1280, 114K)

also, you don't even seem to know ffmpeg at all. you literally have to set a preset or else it defaults to medium anyway. its just how much time the cpu spends on each frame finding the most efficient way to compress the frame before moving on to the next. literally baited you by the low IQ weeb bait of mine because you know its true and you are part of it.

>doubling down on presets
newfag. settings depend on your source. l2encode faggot.

Apart from looking darker (or with a larger dark portion before it starts transitioning into white, which is precisely why it looks sharper on normal content), you can see that lanczos seems to be doing something that it technically shouldn't, and those come from the fact that it is an approximation of a perfect sinc function.

HOWEVER, you'll never ever be able to notice this shit on normal scaling ratios and normal content, people don't upscale single pixels in the real world.

wtf I hate lanczos now

good to know that its a redundant way to mitigate color banding. I've looked it up thoroughly. other than the color banding people were also claiming it would reduce file size, which is obviously false. but what you don't seem to know is that it is still common practice when infact its just a giant waste of time (in encoding)

The weird halos are sometimes perceived as ringing artifacts, but you'll never see them to that extent and it's not like ewa scalers are free from them, they just have nicer shapes.

read
you fucking nigger. you really do have no clue what ffmpeg is or how it works. why do spam your mental diarrhea like "settings depend on your source" you blind mutt? the source is a bluray. you still haven't given a single factual point as to why I'm wrong and proven once again that your IQ is even closer to room temperature.

>that it is still common practice
Is it really? I'm pretty sure most BD raws are 8 bit. Obviously everyone just steals CR for airing stuff which is also 8 bit.