Which one, Jow Forums?

Which one, Jow Forums?

Attached: java-vs-dot-net-e1493016511705.jpg (610x359, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DbG4BTLeg3U
benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/faster/java-csharpcore.html
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=db
github.com/dotnet/command-line-api/wiki/Features-overview
aws.amazon.com/corretto/
github.com/Netflix
medium.com/netflix-techblog/netflix-oss-and-spring-boot-coming-full-circle-4855947713a0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

scheme

Attached: 1549655959572.png (596x720, 436K)

I need a job

.NET

.NET

C# is the comfiest, and with .NET Core there is practically no reason to use java

youtu.be/DbG4BTLeg3U

Attached: 2129CCB1-EE64-4CE5-9748-8F4B5C0A0ED0.png (750x1334, 1.39M)

why tho

Attached: 1549298463684.png (530x540, 468K)

.NET is the right answer
Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs around
C# is great
awesome documentation
high demand of .net professionals

also, fuck oracle

naivelets in here. always go for the more popular one.

I hear complaints from Java devs that they want to kill themselves.

>C# is great
>awesome documentation
One microbuck has been added to your xbox gold account

cool!

also, apparently coding in C# doesn't turn you into a butthurt bitter faggot

C# is cleaner, but, Java is everywhere and is pretty much the lingua franca of software engineering (to Jow Forums's demise). Also, working with C# 99% of the time means you'll be working on a Windows environment, and fuck that.

.NET

C# has a lot more useful features and a hell of a lot better to work with than Java and anything Oracle produces

They're both comfy as hell.
It used to be that the shitty part about C# was that you were FORCED to work on windows.

not anymore since .NETCore.

Visual Basic 6

C# ever since Java went full retard with release cycle and licensing.

Pajeet vs Pajeet
The ultimate showdown

.NET
>webshit
>desktop program
>unity
>bannerlord

Rust. I fucking hate Java and C#.

Java made me hate programming, C# made me love it.

> cancer vs ebola

C# + .NET Core is by far the most fun toolchain right now

ebola all day everyday
at least it can be cured

Python then

Kotlin

Explain further? How is it fun to write, the good tools and documentation? Doesn't every language have these anyway

.NEET

this
Java is even more of a shitfest with oracle's new pricing, now even Amazon is releasing their own version of the JDK

Finger right in the underslung gl
What a total fucking chad

.NET Core is very good

Neither. They are both absolute shit. But if you have to use them they are only acceptable in countries that don't respect American IP and have no extradition treaties for infringement.

I wonder

Attached: 1534935983694.jpg (1291x3600, 610K)

You have to think of the reasoning behind why people shit on any language, usually its non-valid fandom from [language]-developers or cultists or npcs, not programmers. Use whatever you get paid to use.
>I get to decide platform.
That's weird but ok just don't pick "I've been wanting to try the newest meme".
Be professional instead.

>visually stunning

Attached: DBB8053F-4360-47D0-AEBD-1A31373A2610.jpg (1242x1076, 564K)

The JVM. Not necessarily Java itself. I personally also don't think Java is terribly great, but the JVM runs many languages - the thing .NET was supposed to do better, but doesn't.

It's just the bigger & better ecosystem by far. .NET is a Microsoft playground, even if some of it is open sauce now it is just not nearly the same.

Java. This is a non-question.

i want to pick up .net core but i don't have time for that rn. also, there's a c book i bought and am yet to read. if you want a job you should learn java, though.
>this was 10 years ago
if you want flatshit they got it

Attached: 1441938483351.jpg (800x1130, 88K)

Java, because it isn't locked into Microsoft ecosystem. I know M$ will say "ah yeah .NET Core totally werks on Linux we

Depends on what you want to do. Android? Java. Windows desktop? C#. Backend server type shit? Java. And so on. I'd say learn both since they're basically isomorphic.

They are not the same thing, retard

I write ASP.net core program on linux and it's so fucking easy to deploy on any OS. Just dotnet run myprogram.dll and away you go.
Also Nuget is the best package manager. Name on that can surpass Nuget.

t. electroncancer

>to Jow Forums's demise
To my demise. Why the FUCK do industrial controllers have fucking java apps for configuring them? And they're all running ancient versions of Java. I had to try and download a 10 year old JRE, and when I got it installed I had to figure out how to disable signatures since the application used MD5 or some shit and Java decided that they wanted to prevent people from using that (write once, run everywhere! oh shit people are bashing our shit security, better force some changes that break 99% of all applications but it's ok because we already have our cock in your ass).
dotnet core is also a lot easier to set up in Gentoo than Java is. Just emerge icu libunwind and download and run the installation script and you're ready to compile programs.

Microsoft .NEET
SJavaW

.NET if you like having an income

> Just dotnet run myprogram.dll and away you go.
That works even a bit past hello world, but it doesn't actually work well with real software. My experience was the same like ; although I didn't even try Azure.

Shit just generally didn't work or was buggy. I wouldn't even bother if .NET had the much better ecosystem than the JVM, but it's pretty much entirely the other way around anyhow. Practically all good shit is on the JVM's side, and the only "threat" to are is maybe the LLVM powered approaches, not .NET.

> Name on that can surpass Nuget.
It might be the best on Windows.

It's not particularly a good match for either build tooling like sbt or mill or gradle, nor is it a particularly good match for newer (or continually updated until recently) Linux package managers like dnf, portage, pacman, nix, guix, xbps and so on.

.NET Core hands down

1) It is the fastest VM when it comes to raw speed even though C#'s IL compiler is not an optimising compiler like javac
>benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/faster/java-csharpcore.html

2) ASP Core, a full-stack framework that is python tier easy to use and setup, build on top of reflection with extreme levels of comfiness provided by model bindings, razor pages, custom analysers, etc... is standing next to micro-frameworks and optimised experimental web tech (that don't even have 1/10 its features) with regards to performance and it is getting better with every version
It is also incredibly easy to make docker images out of your website and you don't have to worry about it crashing because of memory constraints like with the JVM
>techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=db

3) The VM is better designed and is not language specific under the hood like the JVM
4) Its projects (CLR, class library, compilers) are fully open source MIT licensed with ECMA standards. No $$ for VM flags, license exceptions, patents, lawsuits, GPL cuckery.
Just clone the git repo (no Mercurial shit) and run the build script.
5) Can be used to easily create a large variety of software like games, IoT, webshit, GUI.
6) It has incredible tooling like VS which arguably has the best code completion(even AI driven), keyboard shortcuts, memory use. Though it is not used to autogen boilerplate like Java IDEs
7) .NET Core CLI tools are incredibly easy to install and use. creating, building, adding packages..etc can all be done using one command each with no need for extra tooling.
8) nuget is basically autonomous. You just have to add a package and never worry again. It is also lightweight unlike gradle bloat and its configs are better designed and more powerful than maven's
9) .NET is not lacking in jobs. It has about 53K job postings vs 65K for Java so you can get both quality and quantity.

Attached: 1442103857355.jpg (1146x631, 136K)

1) Bullshit. Java is faster in long running programs like what people typically use C# and Java to write
2) Java Spring is better than ASP
3) JVM is more mature, faster, and it most certainly is not "language specific" (see Kotlin, Scala, etc.)
4) There are multiple independent implementations of the JVM with different licenses. Pick one that suits you
5) JVM languages have been used for everything from IoT to supercomputers. And you may have heard of something called Android. More versatile by a mile than CLR languages.
6) IntelliJ walks all over Visual Studio
7) Just like with Java
8) Maven is better
9) So Java has more jobs.
You have no argument, pajeet.

kys

Gradle is better than maven

>no u
In the loo, sandeep

Cheap bait

imagine not using Rider in 2019

.NET is the lesser evil

>all claims no reasoning
>name calling
You achieved an entire new level of COPE
1) it will still be slower whether it is short running or long running like:
2) spring, which is the ASP Core 'equivalent' (barely lol) for its use of reflection and annotations, gets embaressing results near 200 most of the times. It is bloated with configs and has shit design.
3) JVM is beyond mature, it is old and ossified. You have no idea about the internal of the JVM hence you think having many languages means it is not java oriented. Scala and Kotlin suffer greatly from the JVM restriction imposed by Java. Both have horrible compilation times because they have to abstract over a lot of shit. Scala erases everything not supported by the VM and Kotlin was promising until it got hit by Java compatibility and jvm restrictions (coroutines, unsigned types, reification gimick).
4) OpenJDK is the most widely used and adopted VM. Oracle extensions are for corps who wants support. You can't tell them to just switch to worse implementations. This also doesn't negate the fact that Oracle is against any comptetition, they even told eclipse to rename shit because of patents. Hell, you can even see (tm) when 'Java' is written in a process name.
5) Haven't claimed otherwise but Android Studio is literal definition of bloat. It is so much slower and memory hungy than other intellij based IDEs even with Xmx settings.
6) IntelliJ shits all over your CPU and RAM. I bet they still keep changing their keyboard layout.
7) only after you install shitloads of things. .NET tools support nuget, global tools, templates with their own packages and configs..etc of great features that work out of the box. It is literally OP
8) Maven is too far behind. nuget packages can even add new compiler features, analysers and even do this:
>github.com/dotnet/command-line-api/wiki/Features-overview
9) kek nice coping. The difference is those jobs requiring a legacy codebase slave
cope more

Attached: 1451120665060.png (500x449, 139K)

Which makes more money? I want to like Java, but the amount of memes against it has turned me off from it

C# is pajeetware poo code

Java is more widely known than C# and .NET I would argue

I think you should realize almost everyone in software doesn't care for their job beyond the pay and lifestyle

suddenly you stop caring about memes when a language/platform starts waving a paycheck in your face

Java
Java has
* Kafka
* ElasticSearch
* Hadoop
* Spark
* Vert.x
* Hundreds of other great, mature libraries

It is faster than .net for web applications too. .Net doesn't even have a good actor framework. Java is completely opensource and has companies like redhat, amazon and google working with/on it. .net is microsoft only

>.net is microsoft only

Attached: 1336449545108.jpg (1280x1707, 786K)

It is true though. Java has Netflix working on it / using it too. .net is barely present in the biggest tch companies, not to mention that other giants like IBM, SAP, Mastercard and palantir use it heavily.
For good reason too. It has far better libraries and frameworks, and yes, it is faster. benchmarks game site is a noob trap. Long running applications will run faster with java, for proof just look at the techempower benchmarks. .net doesnt even have async database drivers while java had some for years.

>visual studio
>which is only usable using resharper
>made by a java company
ok

>Core is buggy
You're high, lying, or stupid. Dotnet core just werks on Linux. I develop heavily on Windows (because Visual Studio), but all my deploy targets are Linux based. That fact isn't a consideration at all. I'm free to do whatever I want and dotnet run x.dll literally works every time. I'm extremely critical of buggy and quirky platforms. I absolutely fucking HATE when a project says "you can do anything!" and it turns out you can't do some things. Dotnet core legitimately fills the cross platform promise.
>Nuget is bad on Linux
All you have to do is dotnet build in your pipeline and packages are automatically filled from Nuget. It's perfectly well matched to automated build systems. He wasn't talking about the actual package manager though (probably, although it is extremely fast and reliable), he was talking about the quality of packages, which are on par with Maven. The C# and Java communities seem to be much better at curating good packages than most language communities.

If you can't see that Oracle is preparing to totally fuck over openjdk then you're naive and clearly don't know what Oracle is. Oracle is evil. Not just affably evil like Microsoft, and not partially evil like Google, but pure evil. They apparently want money from Java now, and by hell they're going to get it no matter who they have to sue, and no matter if it kills the language. They don't give a fuck. The house is run by sociopaths who want their money so they can take off and leave the rubble to burn. They're going to put the screws to openjdk with high powered legal techniques. Who knows what bullshit they'll come up with. Everyone should be running as fast as they can from Java at this point. The language is fucked.

Java then

One thing that i think needs to be said is that java barelly changes through time.
.Net expect massive changes between versions since its constantly evolving to appeal to the last hottest programming meme, while somehow giving you a hard time making dependency injection.

I honestly dont see the fucking point of MVC and WebAPI being separated and i expect it to be merged in later versions.

>while somehow giving you a hard time making dependency injection
The .NET core DI framework is braindead easy to configure and use
>I honestly dont see the fucking point of MVC and WebAPI being separated
What makes ASP.NET Core so good compared to 4.7 is that it's so bloat-free and modular. You just include the stuff you want and leave the rest out. What makes you think tossing in bunch of view rendering functionality into your dependencies when all you want to do is return some JSON isn't pointless?

Burn them both.

How do I make nice and clean GUI with Java or C#?
I was taught old and ugly shit like JFrame and winforms.
What are the modern replacements?

Attached: 1545416224504.jpg (216x234, 8K)

You are so fucking retarded and have no idea whats going on, jesus christ.
Oracle opensourced all of the JDK development, they opensoruced previously propietary features of the jvm and are ehavily involved in the contribution to openjdk. OpenJDK is the default implementation of the JVM now, the standard.
They are going after businesses who need support, not after OpenJDK you delusional fuck. Oracle opensourcing the JDK development is the best thing that could have happened to Java.

Just use WPF man it works great on linux .Net is totally just as cross platform as Java nowada- oh wait lol

javaFx for java. You can also have a built in browser in JavaFX and do the communication with the app backend over websockets.
This way you develop your application exactly like a web app and make it extremely portable. It's the same concept as an electron app, except better.

c# -> WPF(Windows Presentation Foundation)
Java -> Spring? Spring is halfbaked as fuck though, might be better off using native swing and custom elements
c# is in my opinion superior to Java in every way, and Java was my default language before I was introduced to c# at my current job. The only drawback is that VisualStudio makes c# dev so easy I can't imagine working without it anymore and I'm not sure if you can use VS on linux properly.

Attached: 1539482936016.png (248x331, 150K)

All the same gay shit with 0 efficency, easy coding for brain damaged people like you.

Go back to your redstone or scracth programs.

Sorry I meant javaFX, Spring is a fucking project builder, JavaFX is the halfbaked one

Itw easy but the compatibility is a mess.
Some packages just stop working all together and you need to look up for a new one just to do something you could already do before they decided to change.

It worked just fine before so why change it? Why make me waste time like that? I rather stay in the same version then.
>then just dont update
New packages may be needed in long term projects. Lambda cant be done in old versions of C# and you just cant update manually what you need. Its horeshit.

And i see the logic behind MVC and WebApi but they follow the same logic, i find it kinda pointless and could be better implemented.

JavaFX isn't half baked you imbecile.

Try to load a css file from the web into the JavaFX proprietary """css""" file and tell me how that works out. Do you even try?

Cross platform desktop is unfortunately just deprecated. Both languages have qt bindings though. Otherwise, winforns/wpf are actually incredibly comfy for Winshit only development. I wouldn't use any Java native gui crap these days though. Swing, FX and SWT are all dumpster fires.

Anybody from EU with knowledge of .NET(C#) wants a job in the czech republic? 4-5k euros with a relocation package.

Sure but I finish my CS degree in July

See

>I trust Oracle
Is all I hear. Naive. The fact that they're spending shitloads of money fighting Google over 170 lines of API definitions shows how protective they are of their jdk and how little of a fuck they give about the community. Openjdk being foss is meaningless since development is, by the vast majority, done by Oracle, and the codebase is so complex you really need corporate sponsorship to keep it going. There are tons of ways Oracle could torpedo openjdk, including extremely unethical but difficult to prove ones. Oracle is no stranger to playing dirty. You might find yourself simply fucked in the future when Oracle pulls the plug on sponsored openjdk development, then severe and difficult to patch bugs start "cropping up". Am I paranoid? Maybe. But better safe than use Oracle.

No.

You realize that Amazon and Netflix and Redhat completely rely on Java and will fund its development right? Tinhat retard.

>got a comfy C# job starting on Monday
Even as a Linux nerd I have to admit that C# is comfy

Web apps are the way to go.

Why?

Because its multiplatform, gives you more control over who can run your service and you can do almost anything with a web app that you could do with a desktop app. Unless your application involves heavy graphics processing or heavy computational processing that you don't intend to charge users for, there is no reason to not make your application a web application

Best answer

Amazon and Netflix aren't paragons of open source, and red hat doesn't have close to the resources required to maintain Java.
Face it, you have to trust Oracle to use Java.

Just learn C instead

No you literal pajeet, it straight up doesn't work. as in the built in parser for FX doesn't properly parse perfectly valid CSS, I told you to go and implement it yourself to see, but no you reference some dude's hearsay. You are a literal retard and will never rise above anything more than a fucking intern.

Please fuck off microdick-shill
aws.amazon.com/corretto/
github.com/Netflix
medium.com/netflix-techblog/netflix-oss-and-spring-boot-coming-full-circle-4855947713a0

You are the literal pajeet. i have a running JavaFX application right here that uses vert.x as the backend and uses JavaFX solely to act as a web renderer for the vue.js frontend. It uses CSS for all the UI elements without issue.

>Spring is a fucking project builder
these are the people presenting their opinion as fact with a cocky attitude on Jow Forums

SWT is ultra comfy.

Java just works, has better performance and is used virtually any big company. The choice is obvious.