/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1551261478824.jpg (525x295, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/07/msg00263.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-AH-Archive-Removal
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-CoC-Planet-Rules
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Respect_other_operating_systems_and_projects
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14846407
archwomen.org/blog/post/responding-to-harassment.html
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/hacker-fakes-german-ministers-fingerprints-using-photos-of-her-hands
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ubuntu is the best distro.

Attached: shuttleworth.png (800x450, 329K)

"Ubuntu is an ancient african word, meaning 'I can't configure Debian'".

Attached: 1551262074629.jpg (483x604, 45K)

Someone got a timeline of his dying moments? F

Debian has shifted its focus to politics. They are now removing packages, enforcing cocs and playing thought police.

5th for mint

FUD

something something government spooks, suicide multiple gunshots to back of the head

Post proofs sweetie.

>being this uninformed
wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/07/msg00263.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-AH-Archive-Removal
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-CoC-Planet-Rules

You're retarded. I can show you the same links for Arch or another distro. Stop cherrypicking shit and claiming it's their main activity.

1. Unlike Debian, Arch doesn't even have "Anti-harassment team".
2. Please, do show me how Arch removes packages because someone got offended by their names.

jesus christ. I wanna laugh at this but I can just shake my head. reminds me of when github talked about creating a "safe space" during their conference

Please behave. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Respect_other_operating_systems_and_projects

Arch actually removed a mirror because the domain name was unsafe news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14846407

So when did they remove packages because of "offensive" names? You have promised to show me. I'm waiting.

I've got an Asus Zenbook ux331ua and was just wondering if the most stable and standard package was to use fprint, don't even know if its compatible with my laptop cause I have no idea what fingerprint scanner model it is

Anyone help out?

Attached: meow.jpg (210x240, 19K)

Archlinux is OS

archwomen.org/blog/post/responding-to-harassment.html

Attached: AWpony.png (300x290, 46K)

>I can show you the same links for Arch or another distro.
You probably can't for most distros, no.

Note that SOME policy to deal with flame wars doesn't equal a geekfeminism contributor convenant "muh sexuality under attack let me keep showing that in your face / shut up about yours" oppression policy with dedicated enforcement teams.

What's wrong with this?

Archlinux is a distribution of an OS. The OS is called GNU.

pease fuck off with your shit

So when did these women remove packages? Which packages? Please show me. Or did you lie?

It's one thing that you could use. Not sure if it's "the" most stable.

BTW, I recommend against using fingerprint readers at all.

actually no the OS would be archlinux+gnu, youre acting as if the gnu system can run by itself (Which it cant) since it needs a kernel rofl

Based and redpilled.

Whys that (if im running freedum software it shouldnt be a problem right) ? Also how do I check what model my fingerprint reader model is? I can't find anything on the asus website about what fingerprint scanner model it is, all it says is it 'werks with windows' lol

I don't intend to, and I challenge you to find equivalent policies in most distros.

Most distros haven't decided to go full SJW burger oppression yet. People can still swear at each other, flirt with each other and so on within reason and don't need minutes per person upon meeting each other to determine how they should address each other to deal with everyone's sexual roleplay fantasy either.

Fingerprint scanners are just unsafe placebo security. You leave your fingerprint everywhere unless you keep wearing gloves, which I don't think you do. They're pretty much not worth dealing with.

Better use a normal password, a cryptokey, something else.

fair enough, I dont think its supported anyway since lsusb doesnt show anything relevant, looks like it was specifically made to be integrated with windowns10

>Fingerprint scanners are just unsafe placebo security. You leave your fingerprint everywhere unless you keep wearing gloves
are you literally saying they're unsafe because someone might get your fingerprint? because if you do, then you're a retard.
nobody runs around with tape, not to mention a surface, to apply the print to, AND one that is actually read by the sensor the same way a finger is.

I wouldn't be certain about it only being supported under Windows. You could still query hwinfo to see if it maybe shows up.

But yea, not worth the effort, fingerprint readers can usually be defeated with a camera, a printer and glue (or only slightly more). I'm sure you can find the Chaos Computer Club demonstrations if you want to know how.

GNU/Arch Linux

I switched from Win10 to Tessa and now my laptop's battery drains in roughly 1hr compared to 10hrs with Win10. Its not even running hot or has the fans spinning or anything. There also dont seem to be any applications running that drain battery life and I turned off most other stuff like bluetooth... what do I do here?

>are you literally saying they're unsafe because someone might get your fingerprint? because if you do, then you're a retard.
Yes. Actually even just a photo of your hand suffices quite easily:

theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/hacker-fakes-german-ministers-fingerprints-using-photos-of-her-hands

>fingerprint readers can usually be defeated with a camera, a printer and glue (or only slightly more)
yea thats what EVERYONE runs wround with these days when trying to get into some random guys' laptop. retard

I watched that documentery on 200ug of LSD
Good times

fuck you are dumb i bet you run noobuntu

like I said, its one thing if its done by professional nerds, who use dummy fingers and glue, and another by actually suggesting that its "not safe" for the average user.

by your own logic, normal passwords should be even less safe, since hackers can circumvent those too

Your logic seems erroneous. You're shifting a general problem over to a problem called Debian, but avoiding Debian does not fix the problem.

Nobody ran around with that, they pulled it off a photo. Sure, NOBODY ever has a chance to be caught on photo because cameras are so rare and you'd spot them instantly and cover your hands, am I right?

And on top of that, even if the device was stolen and they didn't know who it was stolen from; it'd still likely come with the fingerprints included.

Yes, that there are dozens of videos on YT and elsewhere showing how it's done and that it only essentially takes a pencil, a printer and glue *does* means that it is not safe. Some fingerprint readers even just need a B&W print of a finger, lel.

This is just as unsafe as a windows login when it was bypassable with ctrl-alt-delete.

What is the worst distro and why?

ubuntu its literally the windows10 of the linnuks world

Best one is the one I'm using.
Worst one is the one you're using.

the only correct answer

This unironically.

Based

o no! a hacker did a thing, now nothing is safe anymore and they're coming for us!!
achmed and jamaal, the infamous fingerprint thieves!

it is not clever to use fingerprint access restriction
1) somebody (criminal, police force in dictatorcountry or here) can force you to grant access(I know people in spain who used the fingertip of their dead $relative to "sign" a "reprocessed" testament
2) if there is a data "leak" (this will happen) all fingerprint data is burned, because it is public; and you can't renew your fingerprint; but passwords yes.

You can always imagine a more retarded threat. Yes, there were also people who couldn't press control-alt-delete to bypass Windows logins.

It's still almost in every situation less safe than even using retarded "asdfa" as your password.

Security is a meme, and "safe" is relative anyway.
If anyone actually steals your laptop, there are two outcomes: they want to have/sell it, or they want your data(a chance which is around 0.01% since you're insignificant and all data of yours that has value, can be obtained FAR more easily than by getting to your computer.)

Regarding the first outcome: there's so many ways to just circumvent your security that its not funny anymore. And even a complete moron would be able to stick stick a boot usb stick in, and wipe everything for personal use.

So use whatever the fuck you want, be it encryption, regular passwords, fingerprints, voice recognition or any other meme you can think of, because its just for your family, people around you(uni), or your personal use and feeling of security. But if you really think you can protect yourself against someone, who's REALLY out for your shit, then you're out of luck.

>Security is a meme

Try and guess what my messages says in my text file which is a hashed encryption of my plain text lol!!!

>b-but I could wipe the entire drive
not an argument

>The winjew is BTFOd by this

tl;dr

Attached: didnt read lol.gif (490x360, 3.49M)

>redditspacing
>literal stutter posting
>winjew
>BTFO
you must be at least 18 to post here

Anyone?

depends on what packages you have look up 'wifi-menu' or 'netctl', personally, I use netctl (pure cli and not a gui faggot)

How much Google is in GNU/Linux?

install networkmanager, it has a neat, easy to use cli client.

this guy probably uses grub dont listen to him

How do you guys keep track of installed tools?
Like, I installed TLP and powertop, but unlike Windows, which shows installed tools either per directory in the start menu or the installed programes window, I cant really seem to find the spot to keep track of my tools in linux.

I know that dpkg -l shows you a list of installed packages but is that really the best way?
I'm afraid I'm gonna end up with tools cluttering up my system that Ive only used once or twice.

there's literally nothing wrong with being gay

Use the package manager. If you need a GUI use synaptic.

He said 'guy'

pacman -Qqe, sir.

I'm trying to install a program and I can't do it. It's unzipped in a folder and my console is in the right directory. There's an "install" file.

I've tried to do

./configure
>bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
make
>make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
makeinstall
>make: Nothing to be done for 'install'.

please help

>There's an "install" file.
read it maybe idk?

Synaptic already came with this distro. Problem for me there, is that the installed and installed(manually) tabs are pretty much the same(2110 vs 1897 to look though) and there's no sorting by date.
I'll check it out thanks.

it seems to be a script for installing the program but I can't get to run it

>but I can't get to run it
$10 on that the script file is not executable
chmod +x install
./install

this command doesn't show an error but nothing seemed to have happened either

>be me
>wageslave as tech support for way too long, enjoy security readings and cyberpunk threads
>too lazy to get in there seriously but trying to change my life around
>last live cd on my cd tower is ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora core 5

What do you recommand as I'm starting afresh with a good old 7 and hesitate on what dual boot I'll put on :
Familiar with the debian based so
>Kali
>Parrot
>Just Debian nigga
>Mageia
Jow Forums seems to fap on Arch and others so might try on
>BlackArch
>Clip OS

>inb4 give up grandpa, you won't be able to get back on tracks
>inb4 install gentoo

Attached: 1518124233771.png (714x810, 87K)

Something did happen, it changed the execution file permission, so now you can actually execute the file.

>Nothing happened
Im guessing youre new to linux, you can easily google these problems desu

Stop falling for memes, gramps, any distro works if it has a big enough user base, shittoo is just a meme go download manjaro

oh I'm retarded

I found a tutorial online and all I had to do "./install"

I already tried to do "install" but that didn't work. The "./" seems redundant?

>Im guessing youre new to linux, you can easily google these problems desu
I've been using it for 4 years now and I'm sometimes still struggling with basic tasks like right now.

The "." means you're "talking" to the current directory, if you just type 'install' how does the system know what you mean, then proceeding "." the "/" is just providing an absolute path, hence "./" together refers to a file pointing via an absolute path, so the system looks at whatever is located at "./install".

Don't be a moron. Don't install any "security"-oriented distro that's intended to be run live.

Just install Debian, and if you want any of the tools, install the ones you want by hand.

Yes, I know. Maybe it's not that way in linux but I'm pretty sure in windows if it automatically it's the current directory so you don't have to do "./".

Now it's saying I don't have the right libraries.

Attached: thank you jesus.jpg (504x470, 98K)

We're still waiting for proof of your argument.

Attached: 6EDF6FA0B5064EB5A83EDD6F9745B205.png (1440x2560, 1.12M)

>I already tried to do "install" but that didn't work. The "./" seems redundant?
just entering "install" will cause linux to run a program called "install" from PATH
the current directory usually isn't in PATH, so to run something in the current directory, you have to either add it to path, like "PATH=$PATH:. install", or use an unambiguous path to that specific file, like "./install"

Cheers, I'll try Manjaro and forget about the meme security, it seems like a good compromise.

>I'll try Manjaro

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

If you do want to advance your understanding after you're comfortable with manjaro go try some installs of archlinux on a VM, manjaro is pretty much the windows version of linux since its a gui and click & drag and all, manjaro is based on archlinux so this is a bonus as you'll be familiar with its package manager

ignore this faggot frog

Wh-what's wrong with Manjaro?

All rightey. I'm not that afraid of command lines since I started on my father's commodore 64 but transition from years of windows might as well be handy, even if that makes me a babby.

Attached: 1298664730591.jpg (385x415, 18K)

>device gets stolen
>fingerprint scanner is used to lock it
>good thing I never actually touch my devices
Sorry man, but if you leave the access key (be it password or fingerprint) on the locked device, the security mechanism is worthless.

>not setting up a fingerprint sensor with the finger of your real doll

Nothing. Manjaro is fine. Seriously.

>Im guessing youre new to linux, you can easily google these problems desu
>google these problems

Attached: 1551066392940.png (956x1080, 186K)

Anyone knows whats going on here? This is what happens when i startx with i3wm, have all the drivers and stuff installed.

Arch running in virtualbox

>Anyone knows whats going on here? This is what happens when i startx with i3wm, have all the drivers and stuff installed.
>Arch running in virtualbox
pic

Attached: wtf.png (1928x1020, 18K)

You're suppost to install on baremetal.

did you remember to install a font?

this has nothing to do with fonts

need vbox specifically

xfce4 doesnt seem to work either

nvm fuck i3 got xfce4 working, it was `exec startxfce4` not just `exec xfce4` in .initrc.... jesus

What filesystem should the /boot partition be?

if you're combining /boot and ESP, then fat32
otherwise whatever your bootloader supports (ext2 is fine)

linux power management is just shit in general user.
install TLP and hope that its better and look at powertop's output to see what's draining the most.
but generally there's not much you can do but if you want to have the same applications open and use the same workflow as in windows and hope for the same amount of battery life.
but then again, another distro, another power management tool might actually work. it does for some people. but thats the thing with linux in general: ootb isnt a thing, you have to try to get close to what you want.