Any data scientists here? How do I become one...

Any data scientists here? How do I become one? I completed my bachelor's in CS and want to do MS in data science related course. What are the best universities in USA or Australia to do?
Thank you user.

Attached: Screenshot_20190223-220039~2.png (1061x1080, 1.08M)

I wish she was my gf. Are you from India?

farmington university

Attached: 1509298575640.gif (156x120, 432K)

Yeah from India
inb4 poo in loo

Attached: Screen-Shot-2018-12-14-at-9.07.36-AM.png (812x589, 779K)

Why didn't you become a doctor like your parents wanted

Attached: 1550492645398.jpg (960x850, 38K)

data science is a meme, and theres a reason only indians are seen trying to do it

It's a meme, just like big data and AI.

Enjoy scraping html tables and cleaning data for the big guys.
Eh, maybe you'll even get thanked in the acknowledgement section of the paper discussing the statistics. Probably not.

Post more. Insta?

I advise you not to come to the US because incidentally, we are full

Is that not what the Data Analysts do? I always thought that was the pajeet division of Data related jobs.

For Australia, the best universities are

ANU
University of Sydney
University of Melbourne
Monash University

I think Monash has a better computer science faculty than UoM but don't quote me on it.

>hello mr sir lady
>hello I have xp in X Y Z but I'd like to move to datascience
>hello yes I have peepee, why you asking?

they'll literally suck your dick

Job titles don't mean anything anymore when we have "user experience engineer" and people unironically calling themselves "ninjas", "gurus" or "evangelists".
But those unskilled workers that enroll in data science bootcamps are the modern version of those people who used to type paper surveys into spreadsheets.
They scrap online stuff. Deal with the boring stuff like fucked up encoding, comma instead of decimal point, and other ad-hoc issues. They don't get to do the fun stuff. But hey, they get to call themselves "scientists" on Twitter so they're happy.

tell everyone you are one and eventually they will believe you, that's what the other data science cunts did

I'm a data scientist. I did undergrad in applied math and then a masters at cambridge.

all of the interesting data science work is now phd locked. there is a HUGE flood of grads on the market and the programs are all absolutely glutted. I can tell you my number one advice would be to hurry up and finish a MS and get a job as quickly as you can because the demand will soon be much less than the supply. data analyst grads are being pumped out extremely fast and everybody is trying to get in on it.

I was accepted to do a phd when I finished my ms but decided to go into industry. now I looked at getting back into school and was told that the phd applicants have gone up 50 times over.

it's a comfy but easy and boring job at the moment since most of what you do is data cleaning and shit like tableau. I'm extremely worried about being commoditized though and see the writing on the wall from the huge interest making way too much supply. currently looking to get out in a way that gives me a better feeling about my career's future.

Don't do MSc in meme field like that.
If your thesis was decent, try getting into fintech. The thing is, there's huge supply of average people, for whom there's no demand, but at the same time huge demand for talent, with very little supply.
Don't get discouraged by the stories of averagers. I got into fintech with just BSc from a shitty yuropoor uni.

>data analyst grads are being pumped out extremely fast and everybody is trying to get in on it.
I have an offer for a year internship to scope, analyse data and visualize. And some business type things like business insight and trend analyse with data sets acquired.
Would you say that is a decent enough start to get some experience albeit at shit pay or should graduate data analyst position be the goal?

what if you're worng? because I believe you are

after I graduated I tried to get hired by one of the top trading firms. I ended up interviewing at jane street, de shaw, jump trading, citadel, tower capital, winton, but didn't get offers. I got an offer from morgan stanley but it was back office. haven't really looked into fintech but I got pretty burned trying to break into trading. I spent several months preparing and doing interviews for those guys and got nothing out of it. they also all got me to explain my thesis over and over again and I'm sure I basically taught their traders how to do it. I'm pretty bitter about it actually, they really lead me on and wasted my time.

but yea I might look at going into fintech. I'm thinking consulting or private equity at the moment though.

>I have an offer for a year internship to scope, analyse data and visualize. And some business type things like business insight and trend analyse with data sets acquired.
yea I mean that sounds like exactly the kind of work that is getting commoditized. it's really easy work and will eventually be completely oversaturated with grads and also heavily outsourced.

but honestly you want some experience. if you have no job experience most places will dump your resume right into the trash even if you're perfect in every other way. the best thing you could do is a good summer internship and a ms though. that's what you need to get a fine data analyst grad position.

thanks for the info. i think i will take on the internship i wasn't having much success when applying for data analyst positions largely due to a lack of actual work experience within the field.

the importance of an internship, ANY internship really can't be overstated. it's so fucking important to have some experience unless you are going academic. there was a guy in my MS class who had nothing at all and he got destroyed in his job hunt despite having top grades. he was unemployed for 2 years as far as I know and maybe still is.

make sure you get an internship. not having one is death.

>despite having top grades
>having top grades
>not geting an internship
how does that work I thought high grades was what granted you an internship in the first place

I got hired just based off of 2 papers i published, my thesis (on vertex (super)algebras, LOL) was complete rubbish for them. Started in CH, recently moved to HK.
Anyway, it's not all just roses in fintech. Right now my hands are pretty much tied and i don't have many opportunities to expand my toolset. I've been trying to catch up with symplectic geometry for ages, but barely have enough drive after coming home. I was looking into research positions, but there's no chance i'll get there with just BSc.
Can't speak for him, but my academic success came at the cost of ~18 hours/day of grinding. Not much time to squeeze in an internship. Not that it hurt me in the end.

he tried to get a grad position after finishing the ms and did nothing between years. internships wouldn't take him because they require you to be going back to school afterwards and grad positions wouldn't take him because he had no experience.

imagine her taking a shit

*sniff*
Mmm yes

makes sense

what a hell to be trapped in

dude I met up with him and he was like a ghost. that shit scared me. the whole time I felt like he was on the edge of suicide. he's easily one of the smartest people I've ever met and his life is completely fucked up. don't know what he's doing now but he lost a lot of time no matter what and it had an obvious effect on his mental well being.

make sure you get experience. seriously. don't get fucked. being jobless is a self sustaining spiral and holes in your resume take a decade to stop being brought up. being unemployed for too long will make most HRs instantly disqualify you as well. not having a job is a big red flag.

don't fuck it up guys, seriously it's no joke.

that reminds me I got to fill my job with a bunch of fictional jobs

>Degree had a mandatory industry internship

lucky me

It's something I never thought about it while in education. I'm lucky to get the offer for the internship after graduating for a year with no success.

*my CV

>'user can you please get us references from your latest two places of work'
what would you do then?

>off course
>get friend1 onaphone
>get friend2 onaphone
problem solved

yea part of it is the meme in stem that you're so in demand that you will fall backwards into a job without trying at all once you graduate, and that the job hunt struggle is for soft majors

the truth is that new grads are not in demand at all. what's in demand are people with ~2-4 years experience. somebody with 2-4 years of experience in a field are the most highly sought after commodity and once you hit that mark you're golden. it's right at the point of being trained, competent, and proven but not yet expensive or obsolete in any way.

new grads without experience need to basically beg for work even in stem unless you get lucky or have a great internship history already. then you're fine.

I'm doing data science type work in academia right now with only a Bachelor's degree. I intend on going into a specialized, non-computational field though.

I absolutely detest being lumped in with all the other """data scientists""". Those people have already fucked over numerous projects due to a lack of understanding of statistics and an inability or unwillingness to correct their mistakes. And yet somehow the other real scientists (which I want to become) have to keep using them either because they don't know better or because management fell hard for the data science meme.

It brings me great comfort to know that these tards will be out of a job in the near future both due to their joke of a field becoming saturated and due to poor performance.

I have the option to do a combined MS/BS, it would only take an extra year. My interests are converging towards systems and distributed systems programming, networks, machine learning, and high performance computing. Would the MS help me advance in these fields? The school's graduate program in CS is ranked in the top 100 and is pretty cheap. Undergrad is just in the top 50.

to clarify the MS would be in CS, not data science

I did a degree in geophysics and many of my classmates got hired in some data scientest/ data consultant/data management position in IT companies, I don't exactly what they do, I assume it's some kind of very basic bitch coding/statistics since many of them were fairly bad at math and programming

are you geophysics user whose school used debian? I remember you and was thinking about you yesterday. Hows life?

not me, but now I'm reading that guy's posting history in the archives, he really likes to post about it

she is not shitting in the streets, she is shitting in your house

A portfolio gets you an internship. Grades mean nothing anymore.
HR is full of monkeys. Tech fields are cut throat. You need at least 3 years experience before even thinking about applying anywhere

poo in loo