10TB for $160

Are SSD's ever going to catch HDD in price/storage?

Attached: hd.png (883x635, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

snapraid.it/manual
snapraid.it/compare
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They were $145 a few hours ago. It was an incredible deal.

These things are unreliable as shit. I rarely have hardware failure but fuck external HDDs. Also you can't shuck the wd drives

Can't shuck? I know some of the 2.5 inch drives have the pcb go directly to Usb3 as cost cutting and UAS but ive not seen that happen on 3.5inch drives and I don't think it can because of the 12v and requirement.

>mfw I bought 4x8TB for that price a month ago

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 199K)

you can shuck them, but you can't read any data that you wrote on the before shucking.

Wut

WDs are almost the only ones used by nas DIYers

I don't know why people take a chance with cheap external hard drives.

Rijswijk is best Shell.

>10tb drive
>2 year warranty
5 years or go home

Not paying for the expert installation...
Bro, I don't know if you can install it alone.

why would you give half a shit about a warranty? you're just gonna void it as soon as you get the thing home by shucking it anyway.

because ZFS, Btrfs, or MD RAID will catch you if one of them fails. Shit, I don't even buy new drives, I buy refurbs.

>why would you give half a shit about a warranty?
I consider my data to have _some_ value

Why are internal drives more expensive?

this is a lie
i copied everything onto it before shucking to test, and it worked

at least WD black/gold got 5 year warranty

>price
Possibly, especially if HDDs hit a brick wall in the near future. Manufacturers already have to resort to things like helium, HAMR, or MAMR that provide a one-time increase as opposed to the continuous improvement through miniaturization we had before.
>storage
15 TB 2.5" drives are already commercially available and there are up to 100 TB 3.5" prototypes (not sure what the biggest commercially available one is).

They often have the same drive in them that you would buy anyway (like reds in some easystores).

>why would you give half a shit about a warranty?
External drives are good for backing stuff up (unless you have more data than you could fit on a single drive). Having warranty means you won't have to buy another one if it shits itself in five years.

Warranty is not a backup lmao.

>Warranty is not a backup lmao.
Thats why I have 2 x 6TB drives with 5 year warranty

Nice try shill, take your green garbo with 2 months of lifetime somewhere else

Attached: DSC00911.jpg (1600x938, 338K)

Different user to follow up on this. It's happened to some people that after chucking them the pc won't recognize the drive. This happens because there was a change on the sata power pins. On the models that have this issue all you have to do is put a piece of electrical tape on one of the pins on the hdd. Once done it should detect the hdd.

How usable is this if I only have USB 2.0? Too slow?

If you look at WD's current lineup, it's pretty clear that any external drive above 6 TB is gonna be a red because blues only go up to 6 TB.

Attached: file.png (2148x1193, 379K)

I did USB2.0 HDDs on my server.. maybe 10 years ago? If you're just doing file access it was okay, but if you wanted to stream 1080p off of it you were usually running into issues.

I see, so for storing movies not the greatest solution unless I upgrade to USB 3.0, and I sadly don't even have slots for a pci-e card.
Thanks for saving me 160 bucks of pain.

Fucking wew. That's nice.

Can other drives be used with the wd usb controller? I need a hdd dock and shucking this and using it to read extra drive might kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

>surveillance drive
?

Probably meant for storing security camera footage. Not sure how that would differ from red though.

>USB 2.0 theoretical top speed: 480 mbps
>average bitrate of a large (~50 GB) 1080p movie: ~56 mbps
I used to have an rpi-based seedbox and I had no problem streaming 1080p movies from it. The bottleneck in this user's setup must have been something else. Maybe a shit media player that doesn't buffer properly, or other applications using the drives concurrently.

The warranty doesn't extend to your data, at all. They'd replace the drive if you left it in the case, that's about it. So basically this is completely useless.

What isn't useless however is that the drives are cheap and cheap per TB on big drives. So you can build a nice inexpensive mdadm RAID6 array or Snapraid array to the same effect, just keep the drives alive, and have resulting array reliability so high that you probably never loose data for hardware failure reasons. A very good storage to put your backups on.

>fuck external HDDs.

You do know that you can open the housing and connect it internally? Now it's internal Hdd.
Fuck that too?

>transcoding 1080p 56mbps video on an rpi

Attached: 1548163024865.gif (149x181, 836K)

>The bottleneck in this user's setup must have been something else.
Could be that just more than the HDD is connected to the respective controller. USB2 data speeds generally suffer immensely with more connected devices.

Interesting, so it should not be that much a problem after all, I don't even download movies that big, rarely anything above 10GB.
I don't intend to make any transcoding or not very often at least.
Well it is true that the total USB2 bandwidth is divided across all devices, but its not like I have that many data hungry devices, just k+m, xbox controller, a usb hub I use just to connect the pendrive.

>transcoding
It wasn't transcoding them, it just shared the files over the network. Perhaps "streaming" wasn't the right word to use.

A 1080p bluray remux is around 30 GB
These days we watch 4k HDR remuxes which are 55 GB so usb is top kek in both cases
Go ethernet or go home
I just ordered some chinese android box that I will flash with linux/android/kodi so i wouldnt need keep writing movies into an hdd to watch them on this shitty 2018 samsung tv that has a fucking 100Mbs ethernet card and no DTS support

DON'T BUY SAMSUNG TVS EVER

Attached: HakaiShin.gif (847x432, 1.37M)

The surveillance ones have better handling for constantly writing streaming video without frame drops, in theory anyway,
They might have some firmware optimizations but really doubt they are all too different form reds and the way the marketing works is that WD has numbers for how many cameras a drive can handle which makes things easier and gives some piece of mind

that doesn't make the drive any more reliable, though.

It does since your taking whatever USB HDD controller is in there out of the question

>not like I have that many data hungry devices
I recall that's not usually how it works on USB2. IIRC it is mostly just 480Mbit/s divided by device count - maybe there are some exceptions, but I'm not even sure.
AFAIK only USB3 will now allocate bandwidth more in as-needed fashion.

Nobody fucking needs 10 Terabytes holy shit

What are you guys fucking hoarding, 512GB is mroe than enough

Attached: 1339609848830.png (355x295, 7K)

What's the point of snapraid?

How is it even close to Raid 6 or Raid z2 in terms of protecting data?

really its more a question of why people like you don't hoard. You're the one here who doesn't make sense.

>it is mostly just 480Mbit/s divided by device count
That's pretty fucking retarded if true, so if I have 4 devices my keyboard will have 120mbps reserved that could be better used by the external HDDs?

>just don't own your media goy!

fuck off jew

even then it fails. i'm not but i had external hdds fail on me when i removed them from case after some time of use. i'm yet to have a blue drive that i bought with no additional shit fail on me. i only use them for storage but that's besides the point.

Maybe they won't catch up anytime soon if you consider just price and capacity, but if you look at price, capacity AND performance, SSD are doing really good.

> What's the point of snapraid?
It's an interesting variant on classical RAID with support for different drive sizes and stuff. Mainly see sections 2 and 3 here to see some of the differences: snapraid.it/manual

Also see:
snapraid.it/compare

> How is it even close to Raid 6 or Raid z2 in terms of protecting data?
By also supporting erasure coding with 2 drives redundancy.

You bitches are all wrong.

It's the MyBooks that have the encryption from the controller, once you shuck it and format it in a desktop it will still work fine, the encryption is in the controller that is in the MyBook enclosure.

All the other external 3.5" HDDs are fine and don't have this issue.

if you don't stream you hoard. there are people who want to be in charge of their own data instead of being drm'd.

Attached: 1545854099454.jpg (540x720, 80K)

This
Anything that is not on your own storage might as well just not be yours
Anything that you hold dear can be taken away at any moment since it's out of your control. unless you have it downloaded

What are you storing?

I think there were some gotchas with this. Maybe it depends on how much the device asks for or something, and maybe the effect is usually a bit less. I actually never studied the protocol, maybe you can find actual technical descriptions and calculations somewhere [a casual check turns up little].

But from a practical computer user view: Yes, having more devices plugged in can fuck USB2 HDD speeds quite seriously, and USB3 is far better in this regard (with UASP you can even very reasonably do RAID arrays off USB).

anything I want, media that I don't want to find out got blasted off the face of the earth the next time I try to find it

I don't know I feel like RAID-Z2 is safer.

Imagine being this fag. I've got 32TB and I'm running out of room.

Whats the longest a blue drive has lasted without failure for you? I have one in my PC and the first I built myself. Had 4or 5 years I think now. I've gotten super paranoid it will fail on me all of a sudden

Snapraid doesn't entirely force drives at the same time. Granted, there are anyhow some caveats to this with the drive's own write buffers and big files possibly making the array wait on the slowest drive quite a few other things, but it's probably fair to consider it *very marginally* less safe on this end.

But then it's also maybe safer because it's simpler code and the developers seem more competent at getting shit done sensibly than the ZFS (re-implementation) developers which slapped on a hundred poorly implemented / unworkably slow features like deduplication and haven't figured out how to grow their vdevs yet.

Whatever happened to btrfs, wasn't it supposed to be the Linux savior?

Daily reminder that if you hoard data without redundancy its almost the same than not having it. HDDs fail eventually, without exception, this is a fact, one day it will break and you just lost everything, I got tired of seeing people wanting to kill themselves for losing years of data hoarding.

nigger I have a 16 disk arrary with on and off site backups

any hard drive will either die in first few months or after 10-20 years. i think you're good but i guess it all depends on how often do you power on your drive. i keep all my hdds in cartridges and only use them when i have something to archive. i have reds for nas, though.

obviously
then again people like to cheap out on storage even though it's pretty cheap anyway

>I got tired of seeing people wanting to kill themselves for losing years of data hoarding.
What do you mean?

its still there and it works pretty well these days. But it still has a bad reputation, because it got hyped way too much before it was working well and a lot of people got burned.

I mean morons doing data hoarding for years without redundancy, then cried like little bitches when disks failed, then moved on to streaming and became anti-hoarding, calling hoarders "autistic neckbeards" just because they were too retarded to do it well. That's what I mean.

>so usb is top kek in both cases
you fucking nigger. usb 3.0 goes up to 625 MB/s. more than enough for your fucking 4k blurays

Well its my everyday-use desktop so its powered on once and off once a day if that has much significance. Thanks

How should I go about having redundancy? Right now I have a 2TB internal and an 8TB external because this tiny Dell PC can't fit anymore. If I lose the data on this thing I will fucking kill myself. I have a big ass Dell computer sitting around but it isn't as powerful and is loud as fuck. It has plenty of space for drives, though. Might be worth it.

Attached: wallhaven-390091.jpg (1600x900, 221K)

Can confirm the power pin issue, had to get one of these to replace a failed drive a couple months back and it didn't work until we blocked the pin.

Not an expert on the subject, I "data hoard" but only to have things handy, don't care if I lose them. But the important things I backup manually, either copying them in another HDD and/or burning DVDs/Blurays.
A redundancy system is more expensive, but basically look up "RAID 1" for a possibility.

There are many software tools that would also help you with this if you are a bit tech savvy, like GlusterFS or Unison, to make automatic backups via the network or ssh even, for example with Unison you can set up a crontab to synchronize files between computers or disks, and this is 100% multi-platform.

How?

check your drive status with crystaldiskinfo every now and then. since it's hdd it will tell you if you should start worrying about backing up data. also, if you encounter some problem with hdd it's worth googling what error crystaldiskinfo gives you. i had a hdd that had sector problems which i fixed by running windows error checking utility and didn't have to replace my hdd. also, you may consider getting an ssd for your os. it will give you significant performance boost for everyday shit like shitposting. don't put valuale files on an ssd, though.

Btrfs is fine for a certain use case. Linux didn't need saving though, ext4 and xfs have long been fine. And the "fancy" btrfs features aren't actually usually needed that much.

See, a lot of features aren't that great to have for either SSD. Or the actual big data cloud storage that would rather handle these things at the networked storage layer rather than in a filesystem.
Turns out ZFS isn't suitable for big data at all despite the name because it doesn't even scale well comparatively speaking, Ceph and friends are what actually works better there, and they might ultimately also be local storage filesystems for RAID-like (but more flexibly striped across asymmetric drive sizes and with multiple different redundancy scheme on the same storage pools) setups if they continue to get that much work poured into them.

>replying to a post without reading it
based retard

Well its not like your computer tells you hey this hard drive is about to die there's now way to know

That is the whole point of redundancy, but the point of your obvious post escapes me.

What you're saying is that you need to have all your data backed up onto 2 drives at the same time, at all times?

they don't last long and they are very fragile, op. i bought external hd before moving and after i moved, the data got corrupted. i must have bumped or something

i prefer flash drives. they last longer

Attached: IMG_20190213_204938.jpg (4160x2340, 2.11M)

>be chinese
>buy from alibaba

But muh bitrot

You can get an R410 with 4x 2TB HDDs right now for this price

dumb

Ideally, yes, but this generally doesn't even happen in production systems, at least not with big files, because it would be too expensive (money and bandwidth wise).
To tell you something as a sysadmin, we usually backup all databases and application servers every 24 hours. If there is a failure there will be loss, but its minimal compared to the disaster it would be to having no backup.
With your personal data its up to you how important it is the frequency you want. With RAID 1 because it is a hardware implementation you have instant redundancy at all times, its probably the safest solution. (And if there are more than 2 disks mirrored, even better).

RAID isn't backup

If he only has data on the raid server if it shits the bed, data is still gone

>it shits the bed
What do you mean if it shits the bed? The point of RAID 1 is that if 1 disk shits the bed the other one has the same data.
If you mean an electrical discharge that burns the whole server (unlikely unless you are an animal), well obviously you would lose the data, it doesn't mean it isn't a backup system.

Apart from btrfs or xfs on metadata, these can also be handled by solutions like Snapraid or Ceph [and actually many more of the more or less exotic things] or more rarely in applications like par2 (having various protections in-file on database files is more common, though).

However, 1 bit error in 1PB per year (or whatever it is now) isn't the death of all storage and often generating/storing/reading checksums or erasure codes optimized to also detect these with some fine-ish granularity just for this can be less desirable as trade-off.

Frankly it's looking like most of the actual big storage things in use and development generally allow you to flexibly have or not have these on the same shared drive pools and maybe even on individual objects/files/whatever they work with.

No, a lot of production systems do this now, particularly the "data cloud" type that stretches across servers anyhow.

It can be done in replicated or erasure coded and even often versioned form.

You also get this by default or as option with nagging reminders with various offers of storage-as-a-service, of course.

I don't know didn't CERN do a study where silent data corruption happened every 2 weeks?

It sounded like 1 bit errors happened a lot.

Why would I want that?

If you drop a laptop with an SSD is it fine?
I heard if you drop a laptop with an HDD it's fucked

i have (ten) 10TB WD Golds in a warehouse collecting dust. in a rack. i cant get internet to that fucking warehouse and it'd cost way too much
thanks for reminding me of how much money i wasted on that shit

>last longer
>san disk glide cruise 2 year warranty
>.....
Uhh

Story?

no story, i just impulse bought because i was having a month of delirium and i've got more money than i can shake three thousand sticks at

What's erasure coding?

Fuck, my bad.
here
That system was USB 1.1, I was misremembering. USB 2.0 works.. okay. It will push 1080p, but moving files around crawls, and multiple access is a shitshow.

I have my stuff on Raid 1. It's not perfect redundancy but I'd have to have a catastrophic failure to lose it all.

>virus

Don't forget the $61.68 to have it professionally installed.