/Jew/ thread

How do you cut down costs on your technology? I bought a different brandof pic related almost 4 years ago for $10. I've recently moved into a new apartment and have been using my mobile hot spot on my phone w/unlimited data to keep my desktop connected to the internet so it's one less bill I have to pay for now. The biggest downside that I've seen is that large downloads take a while. I downloaded a 40ish gb game and it took me about a day to do. However when I'm playing online my ping consistently stays around 70 to 90 so it's not that bad. Video streaming also can play at 720p without any buffering issues.

Attached: 61b6d85c-f8c6-4d4a-a46a-1756b148a7b5_1.1bc00b5794a8cd2f3d00cba75c787825.jpg (450x450, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jew threads go in Jow Forums

Sometimes /po/ too. Should've named it thrifty living or something. 4+3 Chan has a board dedicated to it but it's all but fucking dead.

This is the best thread idea in a long time, we need a jtg

Want a file server. Also want a pc for gaymen.
Bought a used graphics card for my old 2013 pc, installed windows on a vm and use that to play games. The host is still a file server and torrent client.

Otherwise it's just my refusal to buy things. I still use wired everything and my laptop is still on 4gb of ram.

Attached: Flora_heals_an_aching_soul.gif (300x262, 1.84M)

In my country you are forced to pay TV license if you own a device with an antenna receiver or cable connector, so I bought a 31,5" monitor and just stream shit if I want to lay on the couch and watch something. Saves about 250€ a year.
When I changed job I immediately told them that I want a mobile phone that I can use in private too. Saves about 360€ a year on contract costs and of course the phones themselves are also paid by my employer.
I also managed to save more than 400€ last year by showering only cold and keeping my rooms at around 18°C

Attached: 1546377532193.png (659x723, 298K)

>4gb
duuuuuude how you survive??

Buy a used ThinkPad for very little money and never have the need to upgrade since Linux isn't as resource hungry as Windows or MacOS.

Attached: 1549917947101.png (303x279, 18K)

Used to be like that in my country too but now they changed it to a tax :^)

Well then I'm glad for it to be like this in Austria. That way I can Jew my way out :^)

grab your phone with the wifi on and take a walk around the nearest neigboorhood to check if there are any unsecured networks, or networks from local cafes or restaurats that have the password hanging on the wall etc.
a decent outside wifi antenna and you're set

also
(relatively) good home pc + shit laptop/2in1 tablet + teamviewer = work with full power of your pc anywhere you go

My dad doesn't bother to get a wireline connection, so I just took a travel router and a bunch of powerline adapters to gateway his home into public wi-fi. It works well because most people don't even use it.

How do you shower in winter?

>don't wan't to spend $30 on a case
>lay mobo on a bookshelf

I live fairly out in the sticks. Closest thing resembling a town to me is about 5 or 10 minutes away. How would the outside wifi antenna work for this? I've never used one before

It works, it really works. Free WiFi with coverage for your entire home... provided you live near (within 1km) a public establishment that offers a free WiFi hotspot. You will need the following:

1. An external USB WiFi adapter
(Wireless-N works best for distance at the 2.4 ghz range. I use CCrane's "Super USB WiFi Antenna 3". It's weatherproof & eliminates the need to go the 'Wok-Fi' setup. Wok-Fi. Google it)

2. Powered USB hub
(I've been told that a powered hub will help the adapter to transceive up to its maximum distance. I've also been told that it won't. I use it regardless)

3. USB extension cable
(Length depends on the distance between the adapter and the pc)

4. WiFi enabled pc with mobile hotspot feature
(I use a cheap Windows 10 laptop for this purpose)

5. WiFi repeaters
(Placed strategically throughout the house)

6. Mounting hardware
(Depends on the type of adapter you use)

Installation:

I ventured into the attic and located the exahust vent pipe leading from the sewer drain to the outside on the roof. I drilled a hold near the roof in order to pass the antenna's USB cable through from within the pipe to inside the attic.

On the roof I fed the antenna's cable into the opening of the vent pipe and through the drilled hole into the attic. I then drilled four smaller holes into the vent pipe.

I placed the "Super USB WiFi Antenna 3" inside the vent pipe just below the opening and using zip ties secured it efficiently.

The "SUWA3" comes with a 15ft (5m) cable. Once I the majority is pulled through the hole in the vent pipe, I sealed the remaining opening of the pipe to keep sewer gas from entering the attic.

The antenna is plugged into the optional powered hub followed by the extension cable which is plugged into the pc.

On the pc the mobile hotspot is configured followed by all the repeaters, security settings, etc., Etc...

Enjoy free WiFi

Attached: c-crane-super-usb-wifi-antenna-3-adapter-802-11-b-g-n-wireless-3ad55ce8ac1313289b40f5b973c0b92c.jpg (349x400, 28K)

A few years ago a friend gave me his HD 6670 for helping him move. I traded it for a thinkpad T61 on kijiji a bit ago. Pretty happy.

If you need a new piece of hardware, phone, laptop look on ebay first.

Find a broken one (theres a whole section on ebay for broken goods) and just fix it with a little know how.

Also know your budget brands, especially for phones. Anybody spending £1000 on a phone is an unadulterated retard. Xiaomi, oneplus, huawei are obviously the big three. There are also smaller chinese start up companies though that you can get relatively good tech from.

I got a 'broken' i7 Dell Lattitude on ebay for like £70 because it was missing a battery/hard drive and a Xiaomi mi a1 for £42 because it needed a new £10 screen.

I don't think it will work over 1, maybe 2km t.b.h.
and that's with a straight line of view

you may grab the best wifi you have and try sticking it outside of a window, taking on the roof, or whatever. If it catches just glimpse of a signal than with a good outdoors antenna it should work just fine.

When it comes to using a phone's mobile hotspot to provide internet to other devices (tablet, PC, TV, whatever), I only use a small amount of data each day what with StraightTalk and their policy of sticking their fucking nose into your online business after you hit the 60gb mark. For high gb file downloads I use public WiFi and a VPN.

I earn a living shilling for my tech company on Jow Forums.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 29K)

When the phone company figures out how much you’re downloading, they’re going to throttle you or charge you more.

Thanks user, I've been looking into getting a large, long distance WiFi antenna for this purpose. CCrane seemed a bit expensive though last time I looked.. anyone have experience building your own antennas?

Cold

Quick question. Can your employer see what websites you browse if they pay for your phone bill? I browse pol is why.

I used to have a company mobile and can confirm that they can see your browsing history if they want

They could request if from the provider

Instead of paying for Netflix and other video streaming services i just pay 3 bucks a month for a vpn and torrent everything.

Attached: 1551219686809.jpg (646x769, 158K)

Hello Sven.

an old colleague of mine could literally pull up our entire team's browsing history on her machine (I think her role somehow involved managing our mobile expenses)

Thanks anons

same, but I only pay $2/month :)
use DNS over HTTPS; use a VPN at all times

What do you mean sticking their nose in your business

This. I do this very thing.

Well it depends on your contract. In my company they gave us money (500 bucks every 2 years for phone upgrade as well as 50 bucks monthly for your plan of choice) and it's up to the employee him/herself to choose whatever they like so I'm not terribly concerned.

Company laptop on the other hand, is a different story. They have remote access to every laptops issued by the company and the tech department told me they regularly take logs from random employee to check on them

StraightTalk has an unlimited plan that gives you exactly what it says. Unlimited data at 4g LTE speed for 55 USDollars for 30 days. After you have used 60gb ST will look into your downloading habits and see everywhere online you have visited. Because all ISPs record where you visit online. Where, when, etc etc. After all this is an American cellular internet service and America is the land of big brother always constantly continually looking over little brothers and sisters shoulders.

those LAN adapters are shit and the tiny amount of solder on the antenna breaks

About a year ago, I got rid of our cellphone service (for myself and my 3 children). We were paying about $300/month for 4 lines with t-mobile. We all have installed the TextMe app on our phones and we can make phone calls and text just like a normal phone ,the only difference being that we have to be near wifi for it to work. But, it turns out, about 95% of the time, we are at home or at a coffee shop or at some other place with wifi. On the few occasions where we don't have wifi, we just wait til we're back near a wifi hotspot to call or txt. We have had 0 issues with this setup for the past year, and it's saved us more than $3000 so far.

how can they take logs of browser history? if there's some software backdoor, just uninstall it lol
why 60GB?
can I do this with Thinkpad? X301 or X220, for example?

If he works for a decent company chances are he wont have admin privileges on his computer

I instead pay $0.5 a month for netflix.

>self check-out
>ring steak with 4011, now they're bananas
>salmon, boom, also bananas now

bananas? those are expensive. gotta make the potatoes.

First and third. Not my post. I don't know. As for why StraightTalk sticks thier nose into your internet biz after 60gb...well you'll have to find someone high up in the ST executive order and ask them why THEY chose the 60gb mark.

*them

looking this up, tethering is against StraightTalk TOS. lol.

It is. It is. So is mobile hotspot. And FM radio receiving. My first ST phone wouldn't do any of these features that other carriers allow. But my new phone does USB tethering, mobile hotspoting, and FM radio receiving. Did StraightTalk fuck up somewhere with 2018 model phones? Is it Android 8.0/8.1? A policy change? What??? But I'm not complaining. I love mobile hotspoting and listen to FM radio on my StraightTalk phone.

Have you ever considered suicide?

Attached: B6D8DE57-608F-4329-B3D9-55E6B1D0141C.gif (500x280, 1.73M)

The third. If your PC supports at least Window 8, 8.1, or 10 then you have the mobile hotspot feature. I'm guessing this is what you're asking about.

After checking the specs on both Thinkpads I can tell you that both of these PC would work with the setup mentioned in 69971396. The X220 being a recent 2018 model will have no problem delivering WiFi to other devices as a mobile hotspot. However the older 2008 X301 model...I would recommend upgrading its memory and OS to Windows 10. Or using a third party virtual router software.

Most carriers are "unlimited" until you hit like 10-20gb lmfao then they put you down to 64k

X220 came out in 2011, not 2018. Anyways, do you have any idea if I can accomplish the same task using some software under Linux? I'd rather not install and use Windows.

I know this is supposed to be a thread about being stingy, but mobile carriers are the real jew.

I don't exactly remember well, but I think win7 also has that feature, but in case it doesn't you could always just use a cracked version of connectify.

>actually suggesting people to get win10

>>>askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap

I live in a place that includes electricity and internet in the rent. The internet is shared with a few neighbors but never had many problems except occasionally not being able to play vidya.

heh, I like buying lots of bananas too user

>dat upside down USB

>be manager at local cafe
>check my router
>see some dipshit with a hostname that doesn’t include “iPhone” in the name is on there
>continually renews DHCP lease despite 1-hour lease expiration times
>blacklist their MAC address
>they literally have no WiFi forever

Why do you people want to exist at the whims of boomers?

Even if there’s no one there that knows what DHCP means, one call to comcast about their network and the tech who remotes in will figure out this little gambit in about 45 seconds and then blacklist your MAC address.

I have to change my MAC every time if I want to evade bans here, so that my IP will release. Takes no more than 5 mins.

reported :^)
enjoy wasting another 5 mins of your life

Announcing a report is against the rules my dude.

Jokes on you nigger. I do this too with public WiFi and spoof a new Mac address whenever I catch a ban. I uses a Asus router with open WRT firmware.

Whatever Mac I spoof it to shows up as a mobile device. Nobody can stop me. It's been 3 years now of straight free WiFi faster with better bandwidth than my building could offer.

what if i was just trolling

Attached: file.png (1600x900, 1.28M)

Mods don't have a sense of humor. Have you ever personally chatted with ABIB? The guy is pure autism.

rules don't say shit about announcing and not following through, only about announcing

i know they don't, if they did you'd have big red text under your post, and so would i

Remote access/team viewer is honestly one of the few actual unironic "life hacks".

I can use Google remote access and AFK on RuneScape in nightmare zone forever and make Max gains while I'm out with friends

Mods don't do shit retard.

fucking nmz shitter