Why are they always fucking around with USB and changing it?

Why are they always fucking around with USB and changing it?
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/usb-3-2-is-going-to-make-the-current-usb-branding-even-worse/

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-27_145745.png (1080x1167, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber
thunderclap.io/thunderclap-paper-ndss2019.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a rebrand a year keeps the goyim in fear

but in the end does it matter if virtually no device can reach those speed anyways ?

This is all you need to know really

the versions are just speeds

Attached: abcd.jpg (355x142, 7K)

>20 years into USB
>First major change in standard sized USB connector
>Third major change in mobile sized USB connectors
What are you even complaining about again?

shoulda called it Type-D

USB is slowly becoming less universal
How long until we are back with phones having proprietary chargers again?

Not really.

This has nothing to do with the connectors.

Lol, no. You're just dumb.

USB 3.1 was ratified in 2013.
There was more time between 3.1 and 3.2 (6 years) than there was between 3.0 and 3.1 (5 years).

Attached: BLACKED.png (350x350, 186K)

What does 3.2 even do

The USB 3.2 standard is backward compatible with USB 3.1/3.0 and USB 2.0. It defines the following transfer modes:

USB 3.2 Gen 1×1 - SuperSpeed, 5 Gbit/s (0.625 GB/s) data signaling rate over 1 lane using 8b/10b encoding, the same as USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.0.
USB 3.2 Gen 1×2 - SuperSpeed+, new 10 Gbit/s (1.25 GB/s) data rate over 2 lanes using 8b/10b encoding.
USB 3.2 Gen 2×1 - SuperSpeed+[57], 10 Gbit/s (1.25 GB/s) data rate over 1 lane using 128b/132b encoding, the same as USB 3.1 Gen 2.
USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 - SuperSpeed+[citation needed], new 20 Gbit/s (2.5 GB/s) data rate over 2 lanes using 128b/132b encoding.

And?
The version differences are just speed. There's nothing stopping a 3.2 device working on a 1.0 host or visa-versa. You could complain about the cables but, again, the devices should work on any cable to spec but you'll only achieve 3.2 performance out of a 3.2 specced cable on a device and host that supports 3.2.
The version naming is stupid. USB continues to work as it always has.

These people are paid to create specifications. If they don't keep inventing new specifications they are out of a job.

>no mini usb
Sure, nobody uses it anymore, but i think it should be included.

>2.5 GB/s

Yeah for my USB SSD Raid array

pic related is what you need to know about USB. Obviosly Firewire, Lightning port, thunderbolt and apple 30 pin crap not included since they are not USB ports.

Attached: USB-types-2x-1024x334.png (1024x334, 89K)

>There's nothing stopping a 3.2 device working on a 1.0 host
There's plenty of USB 3 devices that don't work on USB 1 hosts because they can't supply sufficient power.

>suber speed
:DDDDDDDD

ISB - Intellectual Serial Bus

We have cables for that.

Attached: 41zHohh-TAL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 14K)

I hate how mini and micro are the exact opposites.
Mini B is squarer while Micro A is squarer.

What was the point behind Type B? I only ever see them on printers and scanners. A dedicated USB port type for printers? Nice universality you got there, faggots.

A was meant to be a host only port, so B was the original client port.

except that 3.0 B doesn't work with 2.0 B ports

It's a standard where Type A goes into the host while Type B goes into the device.

Yeah, some of those connectors that were made to support 3.0 fucked shit up. Like Micro-B 3.0 (can still fit a Micro-B 2.0 cable into the port though).

Works with my MIDI controller so I don't mind

Why in God’s name is the 3.0 device to blame for the 1.0 port only being able to supply 0.5 amps of power?

we literally wont need cat6 anymore

We haven't needed CAT6 for years.

Attached: PM3DLCLC03a.jpg (750x500, 82K)

What In the every loving fuck is that

fiber

The USB Implementers Forum is retarded. They should've just mandated one speed for 3.2 but having 4 tiers of speed is just dumb, and confuses the consumer for no reason. On top of that, they still haven't addressed how to sort out Alternative Modes for USB which means everything is screwed.

So 3 things to fix this.

1.) 1 speed for USB 4.0 (Yes they need another major revision number)
2.) Standardize Alternative Mode somehow and make it more clear on what support what. The best solution in my opinion is to make USB-C have Alternative Mode optional for the port but if the port implements Alternative Mode, it has to support ALL Alternative Modes out there.
3.) Start getting active cables and PCIE connectivity working since Intel hasn't opened up Thunderbolt 3 despite promising they would and it is clearly needed.

Two little streams of light? Does it change colors? Does it get dimmer or brighter? Can you scope it out like a radio wave scan? Or is it still binary data?

I swear to god these people are fucking retarded.
They couldn't just leave it as:
Instead they go back and rename old ones and add "gen" shit to it as well. What in the literal FUCK.

Attached: 1533133796031.png (700x702, 231K)

>make USB 3.0 and later 3.1
>rename them to 3.1 Gen 1 and 3.1 Gen 2
I will never stop being mad about this.

Attached: image.jpg (444x428, 126K)

Think how made people were when the polio vaccine was just released without the intent of making money.
If you sell a perfect product that doesnt update, you eventually lose money. So, fake innovation.

Why does USB require so many changes? Why couldn't they just fucking leave USB at 2.0 and create an entirely new connector that would be capable of handling all of these dumb incremental changes?

Somehow the current PCIe standard has remained virtually unchanged even though it has like 8x the bandwidth of the original standard when it was introduced in 2003

Can anyone tell me why sonething like macbooks magnetic charging isnt already standard.

Yes i know you can buy adapters for this on ali

Why couldn't they just name it 3.05 3.10 and 3.20?
Version numbers are better when they have meaning to people.

They are literally 100% jews. Remember when they renamed usb 1.1 to "usb 2.0 FULL SPEED" and usb 2.0 became 2.0 hi speed

Where's mini B

patent

USB standard has always been a shitshow
That's what happens when your goal is to make everything hot pluggable

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why did it take them until type C to realize that the cables should just fucking be symmetrical?

Because it's much simpler to design a robust connector, controller ICs and cables when you have it just one way.

sata is hot puggable though

>two
HAHAHAHA how naive you are little child.
There could be over 24 strands in there. it's pulses of binary data.

>state of Jow Forums

I thought there was already usb 3

Only device i had with mini usb was a PSP.

>idiots can't study so it's the subject's fault

Tech companies have no common sense.

I went back to micro usb and usb2

Its the same kind of people who just don't understand how "The GIMP" might not be a great name for an image editor if you're looking for wide adoption.

It makes internal sense to them so obviously it fine for everyone else too.

just get rid of cables and make everything wireless

problem solved for eternity

/thread

First public release of GIMP was in 1996. Most people, especially tech savvy ones, weren't progressive enough to get hysterically outraged over words back then. The name was likely intentionally chosen because people still had senses of humor.

t .Apple

> What in the literal FUCK.
> Waahhh I don't want the old 3.0, I want 3.1!
That's why it was renamed.

>releasing new hardware revisions before the latest revision has even been remotely adopted by the industry

Brilliant!

>read this thread
>go to amazon
>type "u" in search box
>first item in the autocomplete is usb-c cable
Fuck this botnet

>128b/132b encoding

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY ?

Attached: 1549334090740.gif (225x528, 114K)

Speed changes isnt enough to be a major revision. Major revisions have different handshake, power delivery, modified pinout, etc

to be fair im a signals guy and i dont know whats its called, its model number and specifications so "what the fuck is that" is a pretty valid question

I forget cat6 even exists. I just use cat5 because at a certain point, getting that extra 3 minutes isn't really worth it. But I'm just a home user anyway.

I've dozens of mini-USB cables, but hardly any micro-USB despite everything using them.

USB is no longer "U".

What about calling it "USB 3.2 x Gb/s"?
Do you really want to say
>h..hello... C..can I get USB s..superspeed..?
>A USB what?
>s..superspeed...
Never heard anyone saying it.
Just say "USB 3.2 (speed) version"

Whoops, guess it's time to go back to RS-232

see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber
tl;dr: sends light, which can contain a lot more data than electrical wire

>ABSOLUTE state of Jow Forumsoyims

Type B Mini USB is a lousy connector for expensive portable tech. I borked a 1tb hard drive because of that stupid brittle connection. My Kindle 4 is holding up well though.

Attached: usb-connector-types.jpg (474x480, 36K)

Sorry, Type A mini. Type B mini is great! Will never bork.

It's also used in external HDDs and audio equipment.

sata isn't meant to be literally anything

Attached: usb_toaster.jpg (358x272, 29K)

error correcting nigger.

distance nigger

>type b mico

Attached: 1549807546826.png (357x368, 54K)

PCIE speed USB when?
Until then USB is a shit protocol

Where my nigga type d at
I know you faggots had kodak cameras

Why even have USB at that point?
Just make PCI-E hotplugging mandatory in specification.

Attached: D0VK_GwXgAA68fP.jpg (700x700, 75K)

test

>An external dongle having DMA access
Yeah, thats not a bad idea at all security wise.

That didn't stop Firewire or Thunderbolt from existing.

Attached: DzXlzvpVYAU22nQ.jpg (1530x2048, 473K)

>what is IOMMU

Recent security bulletins have been posted for critical servers to disable all thunderbolt ports for the exact reason I mentioned.

The original slave side port
Mini A is a legend, Micro A mostly as well
>he didn't have portable devices before 2009
Fucking zoomer

Not that USB is in any way safe, with its automatic code execution on connect.
What the fuck is wrong with hardware connection designers?

>Not that USB is in any way safe, with its automatic code execution on connect.
Reading about that with the ability to overwrite your controller's microcode blew my mind. How fucking dumb as a designer do you have to be?

>Full speed is 12Mbit
>High speed is 480Mbit

Attached: gosling_ride.jpg (836x543, 139K)

The "universal" part is being able to connect any type of device to a whole bank of ports on the host.
Zoomers don't remember, but there used to be a separate unique port for pretty much any type of device:
A joystick needed a different port from a mouse.
A printer needed a different port from a scanner.
etc.

Yeah, with USB different devices need different cables but that's a minor inconvenience compared to entirely incompatible ports.

>Why are they always fucking around with USB and changing it?
who are "they"?
Did you mean
"Why are (((they))) always fucking around with USB"?

Further following up on my note about having access to DMA on an external device being bad, here is the resarcher's PDF on it
thunderclap.io/thunderclap-paper-ndss2019.pdf
Shit was published in 2016, NO VENDORS HAVE PATCHED IT STILL. Effects all OSs.

USB C CLASSIC (Runs at 2.0)
USB C PD (Contains 2.0)
USB C 3.0 (Contains PD and 2.0)
HOW HARD IS THIS?
FUCK

>Not calling your old USB 3.0 phone "USB 3.2 Gen 1x1"

Get with the times grandpa.

>nobody uses it anymore
Apple still uses it on their dev boards, of all things

>Universal Serial Bus
>Many different versions of the serial bus

Attached: MADoka.png (600x885, 869K)

The printer and dashcam I bought last year both use mini-USB.

Should have called it USB One

I was talking about this last night and now I see a thread about it, this is the 4th or 5th time I've seen something like this this month