/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: *sips*.jpg (600x849, 448K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/gp/product/B075TL75Q9?pf_rd_p=5a1aedcb-634e-416c-9e4d-99f483cdfe00&pf_rd_r=X10WPM6762VTTVB38XVF
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pls halp

I have a cheap and old Spanish rebranded chink tablet with Android 5, (Wolder Mitab one 10.1 in case you wanna know). It has an Alwinner A33 chip inside, can I just flash any firwmare of any random manufacturer and go from Android 5 to 4.4.2?

Attached: file.png (1043x561, 506K)

What is the best $200 laptop in USA or on AliExpress? 1080p monitor and HDMI output. No gaming.

It's called access

Attached: how_to_create_a_totals_row_in_access_2016_5[1].png (942x687, 81K)

I'm burning an audio CD with Brasero and there's an option that allows me to leave the disc open to add more files later.

Is Brasero fucking with me? I sorta assumed this was possible only for data CDs, not audio CDs.

I'm not extremely CD-savvy, but I didn't think there were separate "data CDs" and "audio CDs". A CD is a CD, afaik.

Is the Vulcan 120 Aimo a good pick up? I've heard it's super comfortable

Attached: 81jQoWXIJkL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x975, 182K)

Yeah, sounds like it's fucking with you. I've never known that to be possible, that question usually only gets asked for data cds

currently doing "battery calibration" on my iphone se (draining to 0 then charging for hours while turned off). battery has 93% of original capacity but it turned off couple of times at 30 or 40%. does this have any chance of working or should i start looking for a new phone?

why does gimp do this?

Attached: why.webm (1920x986, 1.91M)

Where the fuck are programs installed to in Linux? I can't find a single goddamned thing
I installed Retroarch from the snap and it worked when I started the first time, but I changed the driver to vulkan and now it doesn't boot. On Windows I'd just go to where it's installed and delete the config to fix this, but I can't find fucking anything on Ubuntu
There's zero evidence that Retroarch is even installed beyond it appearing in the start menu. There's no config files for it, the file system for it that I know has to be here somewhere because it's used on Windows and Android is nowhere to be found, every folder I fucking check just sends me thought a fucking loop of random fucking directories with nothing in them. WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE FILES? How do you autists use this shit unironically?

Is there any way to rip subtitles from an online video and save them as an srt file? The video I want to rip subtitles from is not on YouTube. I was able to rip the video from the website it was on, but it doesn't come with subtitles.

Where do I find the installation spot for plugins for Firefox and its various flavors? I'm reinstalling windows but some of the plugins are old or difficult to find due to the changes Firefox did for programming structure.

I'm not using any sync cloud shit and you can't make me.

>Spacing setting is right there in clear view
gimp is awful and does a bunch of other stupid shit, but you might have the dumb

Anyone reckon it's possible to make a keyboard out of light switches?

Attached: 032664149207.jpg (900x900, 82K)

Want to add more HDDs to my computer. Would it be better for me to get some HDD bays for my case and a SATA expansion card, or should I lean towards a multi-drive enclosure? Are there any reliability issues I should be looking out for?

Because you asked it to. If you want it to erase like "normal" then set the opacity to 100%.

I have a problem with the Radeon Settings application. When I try to launch the "Radeon Settings: Host Application" and a "Radeon Settings: Host Service" appear in the task manager utilizing 30% of CPU each, but never actually launching. Does anyone else have a similar issue? I can't find any solution to this problem on google. I've tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times to different versions with the same results ( I've used the DDU ).

looks sexy

Attached: 2019-02-28 00_42_28-System32.png (860x219, 19K)

seems like I turned that down by accident at one point

Attached: 2475b1a9d3cd3cb1fa4fc298d6919ba9a14f5256a4e2dee29a658f93f7e2fb35.png (510x453, 122K)

I've actually never had to back up anything, until now.
I need some program for windows that will copy the files I want _and_ create a checksum in case the drive they're going to fails in some fashion.

I haven't had anything like that. What's your specs exactly?

Can anyone explain to me why everything is called an app now? I still call everything a program, and some normalfags look at me weird.

visual studio puts a few dlls and xmls into the same folder as the exe upon compilation, is there a way i can put them into their own folder without breaking anything?

I'm trying to make an application cluster using keepalived on Unix. It creates a VIP that you can use to access.
The thing is, it only affects incoming traffic. I want my outgoing traffic to leave through that vip. Can i do that with routes?

MY FUCKING DESKTOP IS DEAD
nothing shows up, inlcuding those shitty side view notification tabs, or the taskbar, as well as the Desktop backgrounds or nothing. I can't interact with the desktop in any way. If anyone has a solution thanks

Attached: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAN.png (1920x1080, 145K)

oops I pasted the screen print wrong my bad
here;s what it looks like:

Attached: The only way I can see the desktop is through the file explorer.jpg (1920x1080, 248K)

Push win+r and type in explorer.exe.
Have you tried restarting your pc?

everything is centered around phones now

>Wind+R
that doesn't work, as the desktop and everything isn't there. The way I did it for a solution was to open Task manager by pressing crtl+shift+esc, selecting file->Run new task, and then typing Explorer. Still didn't work.
I then checked the Registry by doing the same Task Manager program method as mentioned above and typing 'regedit', went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon to check the Shell key, which was still correct (as explorer.exe as the value), and THEN I restarted after a couple of times doing the same thing over and over again, and still no dice!

Can you not interactively resize an image in gimp?
Do you seriously have to use the scale tool and type in the fucking dimensions manually in pixels like a barbarian?

Phones are a major part of it. Programs are both colloquially and technically referred to as apps there. Also Macbooks play a role in the popularity of the term. GUI executable programs have a .app extension.

YOU DONT NEED FREEFORM TRANSFORM TOOLS

IM NOT MAKING A WEBSITE I DONT KNOW THE DIMENSIONS THAT I RANDOMLY WANT WHEN I IMPORT IMAGES IN TO ANOTHER IMAGE

But if you look at processes is explorer there?

you can select the entire image in a box then using the transform tools to do that instead

yeah senpai, check my image herethat's what perplexed me the most

Asus Radeon R9 290. Intel i5 4670K.

freefilesync copies files and can verify them against their original counterparts. Actually checksumming large numbers of files is a pain in the ass and nothing does it well, unless you're talking about a checksumming file system, and the passable ones are all for linux or some NAS OSes.

Welp m8. I'd say jump to the final solution and reinstall win10. Atleast when you do it it'll keep your files.
There is also a windows repair option.

Thanks, I take it that program sounds too nerdy for the Apple crowd then.

shit. If the worst comes to the worst and this doesn't get fixed by the Weekend i'll just reinstall it. thanks for listening

Make sure hidden files are visible and read the retroarch arch linux wiki page

>nothing does it well,
rsync

I'd say it's more the normie crowd than just applel. Android also calls its programs apps, and even Windows 10 and some GNU/Linux distributions have app stores that mimic mobile ones.

Rsync does not maintain a library of checksums to detect bitrot. It does achieve the same things freefilesync does, but again if you're on linux you're probably better off using something like ZFS in the first place anyway.

No consumer has ever experienced bitrot.

Yup. Your keyboard is literally just a bunch of switches already. Just swap the key switches with light switches and you're good.

what do you use to download threads/content? I need to dl some webms from wsg and don‘t want to save them individually

Attached: 962AD5C3-1506-4AA2-B335-5978DED7E630.png (578x560, 294K)

Using the word as a catch all for undetected file corruption, which can happen in several ways. If your file gets fucked at some point, and you just propagate the fucked version to your backup without realizing it, your backup wasn't much help.

Try youtube-dl. It works on a lot of sites, not just youtube, and it comes with a lot of features, one of those is downloading subtitles into a file.

What's the best apple music DRM remover for windows or linux?

No consumer has ever experienced bitrot.

>I've never experience X, that I know of. Must be made up
Classic Jow Forums.

>Where the fuck are programs installed to in Linux
Depends. Each package defines where it would like to be installed and your package manager takes care of the rest. If you want to delete a program you don't look for individual files and delete them one by one. You use your package manager to do that.

Not sure about this snap thing but try
dpkg-query -L retroarch

That should list the files associated with that package and where they're installed on your system.

sup /sqt/

so I found a Samsung Epic that I had bought around 6 years ago and installed Cyanogenmod on it.
currently it has Cyanogenmod 11.

I wanted to see if I could put some other mod on it, but now my WiFi wont work, and I'm not sure if this phone can handle lineageOS, I literally only wanted to use it to download some emulation programs on it.

I'm a dummy, is there any way to still install programs on this thing? I'm guessing I can do so with a USB or SD card, but still, any advice?

Attached: 6843149de9c18a8bbb59f2ab71847f96--princess-peach-game-boy.jpg (491x642, 83K)

What's the best Speccy alternative? Is there no website or part of Windows that will do the same thing?

You can't extend a partition unless there's free space directly after it on the disk. A partition needs to be a big chunk all together. From that photo it looks like the free space comes before the linux partition and I'm not sure how you'd be able to move things around to make it work.

So a while back Jow Forums was laughing to a programmer gal whose only purpuse was to change #define with const to the linux kernel. I remember then there was a discussion about if it is a good practice to do that but I can recall. So, it IS a good practice to do that and why?

no idea beyond reinstalling windows, AMD drivers have always been wonky for me

I wish I could be using linux but I don't have the ability to at the moment

Screen on my PC flickers sometimes. Every time I change resolution on YouTube, the screen will cut out and then come back up. Earlier it seemed to just be going on and off rhythmically but it's not doing that now. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong. Screenshot from Speccy is pic related.

Attached: Capture.png (431x387, 19K)

bump

If we're talking about the same girl she wasn't switching #define to const she was marking variables as const if they should have been marked that way. Const is pretty much always better than define. Any compiler will swap out const variables with static values the same way define does, but const variables have the added bonus of having a type that can be checked to ensure it's used properly.

UPDATE: Seeing as this is a new to me PC, I didn't do my due diligence and check the drivers. Updating them now.

just a heads up in case you hadn't thought of it but you can put linux on a usb and run it without installing, and still be able to install programs to the usb and use them

where can i find free proxies

Any recommendations for an Android TV box that's compatible with LineageOS without too much fuss?

someone please help me im running out of options and time

I got your free proxy right here ahaha

watch out everyone! he's gonna free his proxie

Is there anything bad about cutting the power to a system that is in a suspend state? I often suspend my computer if I will be away for a short time, but don't get around to using it again, so I hit the switch on my surge protector thinking it was shut down when really it was suspended. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the OS when it comes back up. Could anything bad happen? Arch if that matters

i usually use Ychan if i want to batch dl from Jow Forums or betterchan

Two questions about issues I've been having for a few months.

First, occasionally when I plug in my headphones to audio jack on my pc
it suddenly freezes up and then shuts down.

Second, my computer has been shutting down in similar fashion if I leave desk for ~3-5 minutes.
I'm not sure if these two problems are related (power supply/motherboard possibly) but
thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Hardware installed:
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR (MS-7972) (U3E1)
PSU: Corsair CS Series, CS650M, 650 Watt (650W), Semi Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

you can download some apks from the web and transfer them through usb to install them on your phone without need of WiFi.
If you're not gonna need WiFi for anything then that's pretty much your easiest option.

I have a Brother HL2140 LaserJet printer that feels like it uses a ton of electricity, mostly because the lights dim when I turn it on. It's USB, and we've been turning it on prior to printing. But now, I've discovered my router has a print server. I've hooked it up and configured all of the computers in the house to point to the router. Do normies leave their laserjet printers on all the time? I figure it likely uses the most when powering up and printing, but can't find a definitive answer about idle. I'm not certain the router is smart enough to power it on and off all the time and have it wife and kid friendly.

I had a really stupid idea in the shitter today
I really need to make a backup of my data, since I'm changing OS to Win7 and don't want to loose all my data; don't have any kind of external hdds or anything, just my pc's hdd, buying one is not an option either.
So I was thinking that maybe I could make enough space in the drive so I can make a new partition, and transfer my data little by little (since it's almost full) over there, until all of it is in the second partition, then wipe everything but the second partition and then install Win7 in the free space left. would that work? or is that too stupid of a question? what would be the repercussions of doing it? are there better alternatives?

Attached: thinking crow.jpg (1024x1024, 38K)

Is there a way to use umatrix/ubo in firefox containers that have relaxed rulesets for the specified containers, while blocking it flat out(like default rule sets)outside of the container?

Are these pre built pc's on Amazon a rip off?

amazon.ca/gp/product/B075TL75Q9?pf_rd_p=5a1aedcb-634e-416c-9e4d-99f483cdfe00&pf_rd_r=X10WPM6762VTTVB38XVF

So you're in a really bad position. You sound like you're lucky enough that you haven't had major data loss in your life yet, because otherwise you'd be thinking way differently. Any drive can die at any time, without warning. Also you can fuck something up, you can get malware, your PC can get stolen, electric shock, etc. etc. If you don't care enough to get a second copy of your data, you just don't care about your data. And it should be somewhere else than your main copy, absolutely not inside the same PC. If you do care, I would be terrified of doing something like installing a new OS, where a wrong click could take it all out.

As far as changing the size of the partition, it's fairly low risk, but doing it multiple times is just playing with fire. Maybe look into a cloud backup or something.

That looks like a horrible deal. I recently built my new rig for $1200, and that included a windows license and a 144Hz monitor. Granted, the i7 is stronger than my 2600, but in terms of gaming - it's fairly useless when coupled with a Geforce 1060. And it most likely has a shit power supply unit. In short, yes, it's a rip off. You're almost always better off assembling yourself.

You could accidentally blow away the partition table and lose everything. Also remember that the filesystem is a separate thing than the partition its on. Shrink a partition without shrinking the filesystem first and you can corrupt the filesystem.

So in other words its a bit like using a chainsaw on a ladder. Possible to do and get away with, but you best be very steady-handed and sure of what you're doing. If I were in your position, I wouldn't do it. Save up for an external, borrow one from someone, suck dick for the money, whatever.

No.

How much stress and work would you say is involved with building a PC for the first time?

What the fuck is this?

Attached: circuit.jpg (320x503, 23K)

>The umask command reports the mask as 022. What is the permission that will be in effect for a newly non-executable created file?
>A. u+rw, g+r, w+r
>B. 755
>C. 022
>D. a+r

I chose A, but apparently, the answer is C. Why am I wrong?

And to follow up on this, this was the book's answer which I agree with the explanation, but not the answer to the question.

Attached: bullshit.jpg (482x21, 6K)

I got it from a pastebin from a thread about ltsb x ltsc, but I didn't paid attention to the discussion and lost the thread.

I'm using the slave77 tool now, currently downloading the lstc 2019 17763.107. Let's see how it works after it finishs, this method seems shady af.

You've got youtube these days, so you'll be able to watch people do it and see what needs to be done. If you've got a friend who did it before, just ask them to come around and either sit by and guide, or do it together.

It's not completely trivial, but it's not rocket science either. The only really somewhat nervewrecking part for me (after like 7 builds in the last 20 years) is mounting the CPU fan. You'll be fine.

Guys how do I make a parent process wait for all of its child processes and their child processes to terminate?

Attached: 1536690065032.jpg (401x401, 22K)

Is there a quick way to translate these moonrunes from a PDF? I can't just copy and paste into translate as the text as the PDF is scanned images

Attached: moonrunes.jpg (454x531, 46K)

Recently aquired another hard drive and decided to dual boot Win7 along with Parabola but for some reason my mother board has no secure boot option at all and I've checked multiple sites to find a way to make it appear so I can disable it but I can't find anything and no Linux USBs will boot.

Using a Asus P8H61-MX motherboard

Looks like a few Bell Atlantic DNI5760LN ISS.2 Network Cards

What program can turn all notes in a song the same?

I'm trying audacity but when I try to do this it just become inaudible

Thanks kind anons, I guess I'm sucking dick for that external HDD now, but to be fair, I would've done it regardless if the data I have on this HDD wasn't that important, since getting a new one is gonna take me a while
>You sound like you're lucky enough that you haven't had major data loss in your life yet, because otherwise you'd be thinking way differently.
Probably. depends on what you consider major or valuable. I've lost a bunch of Tb on data already but nothing that would impact my life too much
>Any drive can die at any time, without warning. Also you can fuck something up, If you don't care enough to get a second copy of your data, you just don't care about your data.
I guess, I only resort to second copies when I'm afraid I wont be able to recover it on any way again. fairly often, mind you. just not this time around
>Maybe look into a cloud backup or something.
I guess I'll try giving it a shot, my internet is absolutely nigger-tier tho.
>You could accidentally blow away the partition table and lose everything
since I'm retarded, It's a possibility that might happen, so I would have to be on edge all the time
>the filesystem is a separate thing than the partition its on. Shrink a partition without shrinking the filesystem first and you can corrupt the filesystem.
you lost me, could you elaborate more on this?
>So in other words its a bit like using a chainsaw on a ladder
That might be so, I'll keep it in mind though If I were in an emergency situation I would probably pull the trigger.

Attached: neat.gif (400x324, 165K)

>you lost me, could you elaborate more on this?
Well everyone loves car analogies, let's do that.

A partition is like a paved area of asphalt. It's just an area of raw space on the disk, with no particular organization, other than having a defined size. Its possible to store stuff directly on a partition (or whole disk) with no filesystem, but normally you want to put some kind of structure in the raw space. In other words, if you want a parking lot, that makes it easy to keep track of where cars are and to move them in and out, you have to paint stripes on your sheet of tarmac. You put a filesystem in the partition. The filesystem is the accounting information that lets you say things like "delete file horsepussy.jpeg" instead of having to remember the raw sector numbers that that file occupies and mark them unused. Filesystems are an abstraction layer that handles that low-level information for you.

Why this is dangerous is because shrinking a partition and shrinking the filesystem are separate things - shrink the partition and the filesystem's accounting information will be wrong, it'll think there's space where there no longer is. If it then tries to access that now-gone part of the partition, things blow up spectacularly. You have to shrink the filesystem first, telling it to reorganize its shit for a smaller space, and then actually shrink the space to be in accordance with that. If this sounds to you like a delicate procedure that's easy to fuck up for the inexperienced, well, you'd be right.

Doing this in-place like you're proposing is delicate and finicky even for pretty experienced people. I sure as hell wouldn't do it without a current backup.

What the fuck is System doing? it only does it when I'm running an application but it's always ~20%. I just did a clean GPU driver install and it didn't help.

Attached: imgay.png (1278x75, 7K)

Where are network adpaters kept in computer files?

I know this'll get memed, but I use Jdownloader.
Just copy the URL, and by default I'm pretty sure auto link grab is enabled.

Same guy here. If I want to add HDD caddys to my case, what should I get? What is the enclosure that allows them to roll and snap into place called? Will it fit in the same area where I'd put the disk drive?

/dev/net

hey Jow Forums I upgraded my neighbours aging pc with an ssd
best way to secure it without the right bay?