/hsg/ - home server general

/hsg/ HomeServer General

>Why should I have a homeserver?
De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your firends feels good because service to others feels good. Put your Jow Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups, don’t let googlel/applel/microshaft botnet them.

>How should I get started?
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index

Attached: D1007_3_139_1200.jpg (1200x800, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

teklager.se/en/knowledge-base/apu2-vpn-performance/
kitz.co.uk
github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
git.io/vpn
github.com/mozilla-services/syncserver
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anyone here run their own firefox sync server? I want that comfy synchronization between my phone and computer but I don't want to upload my data to the botnet.

I tried but it was broken as fuck

I have wanted to do this once before, even found a guide but yeah the conclusion was that it was rough going to self-host.

Still interested so if anyone can chime in and has done so, I'll give it a go in the next few weeks and report back.

I ended up talking to the devs on irc and even they admitted it was horribly broken. This was a couple years ago so things may have changed?

How can these retards obviously have that shit working on their own servers but be unable to publish a working version? I hate it when supposedly free software comes with some kind of built-in "cloud" functionality but they don't actually let you self-host either outright or out of incompetence.

Because what they published isnt what they use in prod?

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Either the whole thing is a huge mess that needs a billion random things to work or they are just jewing the users.

Would there be a discernable difference in latency between
Moden>Off the shelf Wifi router
v.s. Modem>PFsense Router>Switch>Wifi AP?
On paper it seems like there really would be.

>Either the whole thing is a huge mess that needs a billion random things to work
Mozilla is an old enough organization that I would not be surprised to find this situation in a lot of their services. In my career I have found far, far too many companies with successful services whose only fully-functional, fully-integrated system is production, and developers have to code against bits and pieces in any local environment. Staging servers? Not for these guys.

it would be negligable

finally. I setup my freenas's netdata behind nginx with ssl enabled from my server's ip.

Now I can access my server stats remotely from my phone. Next step is to setup my own vpn so that only my IP can connect to it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190227-184906_NetData.jpg (720x1280, 160K)

not specific enough

I'm in the UK, don't know where you are, but network nerds here like to use modems with chipsets that match the hardware of their local fibre cabinets.

I have an Openreach branded Huawei HG612 I picked up off eBay for a fiver, because it uses a Broadcom chipset and my local cabinet is a Huawei / Broadcom cabinet. It's alleged that this provides greater stability. How true that is I don't know. I've never tested it. But with hacked firmware it opens the modem up to greater control too.

The modem is connected to a PC Engines APU2C4. Hardware wise, it's a 4 core AMD Jaguar X86_64 chip running at 1GHz. That's going to be faster than any dual or quad core ARM solution in most cases. It was running PFSense, but I've switched to OpenWRT. Simply because PFSense still hasn't gotten a Wireguard package yet and OpenVPN is single threaded. So VPN performance on the APU2 is dismal. You can read more about it here: teklager.se/en/knowledge-base/apu2-vpn-performance/

Then the APU2 is connected to a switch, which my desktop and server connect to. I also have a WLE600VX in the APU2 to act as a wireless access point for mobile devices (of which there aren't many in my flat, just my phone and laptop, but when people come over, they can connect to the internet). Again, PFSense doesn't have AC drivers yet and fuck knows when it'll ever get them Adrian Chadd was working on them for FreeBSD but I don't know what's happening there and Stefan Sperling is an OpenBSD dev who made a call for donated WLE600VX and WLE900VX to work on drivers for them and seems to be making progress. So that's another reason why I switched to OpenWRT.

Having said that, I find PFSense's interface to be a lot more advanced and also easier on the eye and to use. But that's a personal opinion and preference.

>I'm in the UK, don't know where you are, but network nerds here like to use modems with chipsets that match the hardware of their local fibre cabinets.
Thats absolutely retarded.

>It's alleged that this provides greater stability. How true that is I don't know. I
Whoever told you this is retarded

Anyone know much about monitoring how much RAM ZFS consumes? I'm pretty sure it (or something more hidden) is eating up my ram (at 9 GB out of 16) and I'm curious to see as I'm faily new to ZFS/home servers in general.

Modems are supposed to match cabinets you fucking gimp. Particulary when they rolled out G.INP. The ECI modems didn't support it. The Huawei ones did. Matching DSL chipsets almost always results in high sync and lower errors.

However, with that said, the differences in syncing on lines is insignificantly small to the point that it rarely matters unless you live some distance from a cabinet and matching a chipset is your last hope of getting some stability.

The kinds of people who're into modem matching and that level of networking are the same kinds of people that have ten different kinds of mechanical keyboards with varying switches.

They even have a little corner of the internet dedicated to it.

kitz.co.uk it's the DSL equivalent of Jow Forumsmechanicalkeyboards

>standards arent a thing
stay retarded user

> varying switches
pic related

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.25.16 PM.png (1344x856, 303K)

it loads data into ARC which is data that it's guessing will be accessed, so it can serve it from ARC (RAM) instead of reading from disk. don't worry about it, if the system needs more RAM it will allocate it properly, the ARC is there to increase performance.

everyone hates you

Attached: Tripcode.png (2366x1536, 587K)

>backing up data to raid
>everything going gud
>after transferring everything, wipe the old drive so i can use it later for another redundancy disk
>checking all 20+ of my disks
>suddenly notice one of them isnt there
>deep sinking feeling I must've wiped the wrong disk
>it's completely gone, I fucked up
>lay down
>stare at the ceiling
>start considering suicide
>can't fathom how I wiped the wrong drive when I triple checked everything before doing it
>complete disbelief
>terabytes of data just gone, some of it I paid for and cannot ever get again
>literally a decade building it up
>speechless
>restart computer
>mfw the drive with the data shows up,so I must've accidentally disconnected it somehow before

I never realized how close I was to my data. I dont want to ever experience that again.

wew

Attached: 1549490394783-0.jpg (720x1280, 106K)

Super easy to setup openvpnAS (which is free for up to 2 users I think). I did it in less than 5 minutes. github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install - here's the script even: wget git.io/vpn -O openvpn-install.sh && bash openvpn-install.sh

Whats your backup strategy user? Data anxiety is a real thing, that is so easy for us to catch when we spend so much time/money on our hobby. I got rid of mine by doing a 3-2-1 Strat with cloud backup of everything that is hard to get (6TB in my case).

Thanks, but you responded a bit too late. I literally just finished setting up OpenVPN.

>mfw will have to go browse Jow Forumsdatahoarder again because these threads are too slow
I feel like a peasant over there though. It's like everyone has 100TB+ of usable storage. how are these people affording to drop $48k+ on this shit

Why not just run the docker container they have? github.com/mozilla-services/syncserver

Personally I don't even like the idea, the only thing I want synced is a subset of passwords; don't really feel to support the tracking efforts of every last botnet possible.

So you're dealing with a trash array, and it's a huge RAID5 or RAID10, too?

Seriously, fix that. You should be able to mark the drive offline and see if the array is still fine (or swapping in the standby drive or whatever else) without any serious consequences if you then need to undo it.

Then you have a safe enough method to stage drive removals.

I don't know desu - datahoarding shares the name with its physical counterpart for a reason. It can easily spiral out of control. I keep it sane by only hoarding things that are useful to me. I like roms of old games because I play them. I might not play every single one, but if I want to, I know I have them safely secured on my own network, on my own hard drives. Same with movies and TV shows. I think some people cross the line when they become "archivists" - storing and hoarding just for the sake of it. "Just in case". While I believe in, and donate to, archive.org, I don't want to be them in my basement. In the end, different strokes for different folks.

> I think some people cross the line when they become "archivists" - storing and hoarding just for the sake of it. "Just in case"
I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if it's the type of data that perishes quickly. Some forms of data should be archived. I mean, someone has to do it.

Currently wanting to expand my storage but i need like 2 grand to do so.
Poorfag data hoarding sucks

Half my current storage is my collection of ROM's, I'm slowly rebuilding my media collection as well.
I tried talking to the emuparadise guy about getting his dreamcast collection but he never responded.

Once you get past gen6 it gets prettt hard to get stuff. I'm proud to say i have nearly every original xbox game, which will be cool whenever i get around to modding mine.

Best OS + Raid config for a Microserver?

I have one running OVH (JBOD), but ive got another one with 4x2tb drives to run next to it.

Attached: it_photo_103288 (1).jpg (1013x675, 55K)

>RAID
>BACKUP

Pick one

(raid is not a backup)

Attached: 1547360247791.jpg (640x363, 35K)

hello /hsg/
i've got some strange thing happening to my new server
sometimes it just stops posting and i have to remove two of my ram sticks,
i have 6x16GB sticks, 4 in one color slot and 2 in the other color, i remove the two in the other color and then it posts and i insert the two again and it posts again
currently running memtester to see if there might be an issue with the ram and it got me thinking:

what are some good software to do checks and tests on your hardware?
and does anyone have any idea what the issue im having could be?

Attached: memtester.png (980x312, 68K)

>4 in one color slot 2 in the other
nigger what
your memory controller probably isnt happy

what? how are they supposed to be
i've got 2 blue slots and 2 black slots on either side of the cpu
i've put 3 ram sticks on either side, so 2 in blue, 1 in black on both sides of the cpu
should i just run with 64GB ram, or buy 2 additional sticks?

Rule no.1 of fileservers: raid is redundancy, not backup

remove 2 until you can get two more to match.

ok so that is the problem then
thanks

Anybody else love Drive Decommissioning Day?

Attached: dead drives.jpg (780x1040, 162K)

any progress on the palo alto vm crack, bixnood?

What do you need 2 grand at once for, unless you REALLY need tape drives?

Just go with one of the solutions that can grow, and gradually expand your storage.

>FreeNAS shit
Not using superior FreeBSD

I call bullshit on this
Unless you were so retarded to use raid 0 there is no way one missing drive would give you data loss

Some weird similar shit happened to me when I bought 2x 4GB banks for my old laptop.
I painstakingly went to find the exact same brand/model of the ones already installed and when inserted no more POST.
After much troubleshooting I found that the only working combination (for whatever unknown reason) is to populate the 4 slots with continuously increasing the DIMM serial number...

I have a Turris Omnia router that I want to setup file hosting on. I've installed Nextcloud and have a hard drive attached, so I've gotten that working. I want to be able to access these files when out of the house through a VPN - and I have set up OpenVPN and have that working too.

But I need some advice about how to configure things so that they are secure. I'd like the cloud files to always be accessible from things on the local network and also accessible from the VPN, but I don't want to open up too many security holes.

I know very little about networking, but I think I probably need some sort of VLAN set up that isolates these components but has firewall rules permitting what I want

Didn't even know we had /hsg/ so I'll ask this here:
Anybody know a way to route Plex via the regular network when you have a VPN running? I have a VPN but routing Plex through it has a pretty bad performance drop. Is there a way to get it to bypass the VPN that isn't too complicated? Everything I've seen has DNS lookups on a cron job that edit the configs and look way too complicated. I'm currently trying to get it to run on a VM to achieve this.

Attached: Big Think.jpg (777x704, 57K)

What sort of VPN is it and what/where are you using it for/from?

Most people who use VPN (or Wireguard) more or less use this as the way into the network.

If you don't know much about networking, there's probably nothing very much beyond that that you can easily setup and maintain.

Mullvad. Typical OpenVPN setup. Using it from home for privacy. Nothing special.

Why do you need a vpn to use your plex? Unless you're actively blocking outgoing connections, just go to app.plex.tv and log in - you'll see your server from anywhere on the internet without having to port forward to VPN in to it. If you are blocking the outgoing connections from your plex server to plex's cloud service, stop doing that lol

I thank them and give each a lil kiss before firing up the drill press :)

I think I just did a terrible job explaining what I did. It's a pretty long and convoluated process, so sorry if it only makes sense to me.In 2010, I bought an 8-bay external chassis for my HDD's on Windows, pic-related. At the time, it was perfect for me since I only had maybe 2-3 HDD's. Over the years, as I started adding more HDD's to it and learning more about storage solutions, I realized this wouldn't be ideal for me anymore. I didn't want to buy another $256+ dollar 8-bay chassis again for more drives. I knew ZFS was better than NTFS. I wanted a 'proper' storage platform, so that's when I bought server grade equipment(36bay Supermico SC846,etc). Freenas, Raid10. At the time I had 30TB, 70% of which had been filled.

Since I'm a poorfag, I couldn't just bulk buy 60TB worth of HDD's(since it's raid10, I need 2x my current storage). I had to do it 2 at a time. I'm still in the process of migrating currently. My method right now is that I buy 3x 3TB refurbished HDD's. I stick 2x of those in Freenas and build the vdev. Once the vdev is built, I start transferring my existing data from Windows to Freenas. Freenas obviously can't recognize NTFS formated drives, so I can't just stick that in my server to transfer. I had to transfer through samba manually. After the transfer is done, this is where I -wipe- the NTFS drive that's on Windows, so that I can reuse it inside my server. Remember, I bought 3x new drives. 2x were for a mirror vdev. I still have 1x spare, and now I have another 1x from the drive I just wiped. I can now use these 2 to create another mirror vdev inside my existing pool. (cont 1/2)

Attached: 41k1KnK54eL.jpg (481x500, 26K)

The 'problem' I had was when I had to physically take the wiped drive out from the 8-bay chassis box. I didn't label any of the drives in there, so I had to take every single one out and test them one by one to make sure I had the correct wiped drive. I did this and double-checked to make sure I was pulling the right one. After I had the right one, I put all the drives back inside the box. Now, the 'problem' that occured was when I was triple-checking to make absolutely sure the wiped drive wasn't showing up in Windows and it indeed had been pulled. HOWEVER

I noticed one of my drives with DATA on it wasn't showing up. That's where the panic began. Apparently I didn't connect it fully inside the 8bay box, and that's why that drive in particular wasn't showing up on Windows. It has nothing to do with my raid or anything. Just a dumb 'mistake'. This still probably sounds really confusing but it's whatever. I'm just glad I'm slowly migrating my stuff to Raid10.

Attached: 846box.jpg (800x400, 26K)

>Why do you need a vpn to use your plex?
I don't. That's actually what I'm trying to circumvent.
Basically the deal is that I have a VPN on my computer for torrents and evading region blocks and stuff, and I want to route everything aside from Plex via my VPN. Plex thru the VPN has a bad performance hit. I'm able to configure it so that it goes through the VPN, but I want it to go "around" the VPN so to speak.

I may have found a solution though but testing will be a pain. I'm using OpenVPN so I added a bunch of routes for the domains that Plex needs in my config file and routed them through my router. Still playing around with it though. But it looks like it's working from my end. Gonna see if I can get my buddy to stream some shit to test it out.

Can you select whether a VM should go through the VPN or not? Because if you can then the most obvious solution would be to run plex in a separate VM.

2x HP N40L's w/ FreeNas. Each keeps the same exact copy of data, which is everything. Raid Z2 and Raid Z1 drive configs. One is kept shutdown except once a year to do data sync.

1x Server 2012 R2 box. Raid 5 and Raid 1 arrays. Both use ReFS. Media server, FTP, Client backups, Current year user docs. Get's most use.

1x Zyzel Nas Raid 5 Array. Shutdown. Core data copy only. Data is in Macrium Reflect file/folder images.

1x 6TB External. Copy of Zyzel Nas data

1x 3TB external. Server & Client pc system recovery images. Freenas config backup.

All servers, Nas, and Network gear is connected to a UPS.

Attached: HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-N40L-4GB-RAM-AMD-Turion.jpg (400x378, 17K)

what? it's literally freebsd

>shutdown except once a year
That's a long-ass time desu, why not monthly?

He may be meaning pure FreeBSD without the "cruft". Don't worry, it's fine enough for dipping your toes in.

Cause the data on them (HP N40L's) doesn't change often, mostly adding a few files here and there.

Freenas has jails, which are basically 'pure' FreeBSD environments though. I'm using the system exactly as if I were running pure bsd. In fact I'd say it's a requirement to understand how freebsd works if you want to install software that isn't an existing plugin for freenas.

backing up a large raid is simply too expensive. I don't think I will ever invest money into doing it either.

it's the equivalent of buying a clone of your house incase of a tornado or fire.

I thought about that but then the issue would be that I need to mount my other internal drives to both the guest VM and the host computer (because I need to download torrents to it and keep it accessible for Plex). And AFAIK that's not recommended and can corrupt it unless it's a NAS device or something.
If this doesn't work the VM is my next go-to as long as I can work around that one problem. I have a Ubuntu VM just sitting on my comp waiting to be used for something.

I don't live in an area that gets tornadoes or natural disasters. Crime isn't an issue either so I don't have to worry about thief. I have dual UPS's to prevent thunderstorms or black outs/brown outs from wrecking my storage.

This means the only conceivable way my storage is getting destroyed is from an in house fire, and those things typically don't happen if you aren't retarded with your electronics or cooking.

>i dont know what csvfs is
>i dont know what file shares are

I can see why mounting the same drive under multiple VMs could lead to corruption, but maybe you could avoid that by mounting it as read-only for the plex VM (assuming plex doesn't need to be able to write to the disk). Alternatively, you cant mount the drive in the torrent VM and share it using samba with the plex VM.

>not buying a clone of your house in case of a tornado or fire.
Shiggy diggy doo desu

>i dont know what csvfs is
>i dont know what file shares are
>>>>>>>using Winshit ever

This does seem like a possibility. But I'd want to make sure that there's nothing that's gonna go wrong with my drives. I got a solid 2TB of anime collected over the years that I really ought to back up.
If this baremetal solution doesn't work, then VM it is as long as I can find a solution to the drive sharing thing.

>2tb
>is a lot

>not using Ubuntu server with glusterfs (or zfs for linux)

Attached: 1550806913620.jpg (432x312, 22K)

>I can see why mounting the same drive under multiple VMs could lead to corruption
because most file systems arent intended you do this you tard

> but maybe you could avoid that by mounting it as read-only for the plex VM
that wont work either you tard because it'll mmap the file system in to memory, and when the other vm changes data, it wont update what has already been paged in

>using the Ubongo NSA/systemd distribution

For what purpose? It offers no advantage over using Freenas, aside from having an easier time installing software if a freshport doesn't exist.

>I got a solid 2TB of anime collected over the years that I really ought to back up.
i'll never understand people that collect and even worse, back up anime. you can always find that shit. its available on every tv related private tracker. its available on most streaming sites. its usually well seeded on nyaa.

now if it's anime porn I'd understand. but just anime series? what a waste of space.

Not him, but what if it's a collection of anime porn series?

I just use Nyaa for everything and I don't have any private trackers. And I like anime so I watch it. And I have access to a lot of free anime, so I download a lot. And I have a lot of hard disks sitting around. I'll never finish it all but it's kinda fun to have the opportunity to just throw it on whenever I'm in the mood for something new.
And there's no way I'm gonna watch anime on some janky ad-filled Chinese streaming website. I'd rather not watch anything at all at that point. 1080p Blu Ray rip with 10/10 audio and perfect subs or bust.

Then you're doing god's work.

>I have a lot of hard disks sitting around
Given the comments on the content, I read that... otherwise

Reminder; Using Freenas/or ZFS without EEC ram is basically begging for your data to get corrupted. Buy EEC ram and do it right from the start. You can enjoy your data for years, potentially till your dead, without worry. No more having to re-rip/re download some film,etc ever again. Wouldn't that be nice? Enjoying that porn stash in your 60's that you've had for 30 some odd years.

they wont because everyone here is a poorfag

Not me; Those HP microserver's I got came with EEC ram.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't get ECC ram.

but it's not like ECC DDR3 ram is somehow too expensive. You can get 96GB of ECC DDR3 1333 ram for $200. That's more than enough for any Freenas system under 100TB.

most people here larp that their desktops and arm boards are servers

>You can get 96GB of ECC DDR3 1333 ram for $200.
768GB of DDR3 1866 LRDIMMs costs about $3k

This is my storage array. The grid corresponds to the same level of blocks a SC847 has. Each row is a separate pool. Each pool contains 2 mirror vdevs.

Arai = pixiv/twitter/tumblr/etc porn + **secret loli porn**.

Hydrus I = storage for hydrus

Hydrus II = more storage for hydrus. Also contains my music library.

DLsite = hentai porn games from dlsite. I have thousands of circles.(a circle is just a japanese form of a indie group/individual publishing their works on dlsite)

Doujin = nHentai siterip/Sad panda. Mostly loli doujin, but I will rip regular stuff soon.

Spare = This entire row is dedicated purely to hot spares for each pool. For example, if one of the drives in pool Arai dies, then the hot spare from arai is used immediately in place of it. All I'd have to do is remove the dead drive and put the hot spare in its place.

The grey portion presents unusable mirror drives for each pool. Not shown in the image is my backup pool. That's inside my rear backplane. As the name suggests, it's for weekly backups of my OS/configs/etc.

36TB total usable storage inside this server. I also have another 9TB inside my desktop that I'm not going to put inside my server, because it's just roms/tv/movies/games/etc, and I really dont care if that's lost. 45TB of usable storage globally, 81 TB raw. I'm very proud of my server. I see it as my non-existent son.

Attached: server.jpg (889x1000, 112K)

>i dont understand what iops are or why they matter

also
>i dont understand what a hot spare is

What does that have to do with my storage?

>ZFS provides the ability to have “hot” spares. These are drives that are connected to a pool, but not in use. If the pool experiences the failure of a data drive, the system uses the hot spare as a temporary replacement

Stop shitposting already

Attached: screenshot.3.png (438x223, 2K)

>i'm too incompetent to know what iops are

>i have to remove and add a disk
>i'm so retarded i think this is a hot spare

I know what they are. I'm asking what makes you think I somehow don't know something as basic as iops when nothing I mentioned talks about that.

>i have to remove and add a disk
>i'm so retarded i think this is a hot spare

If a failed drive is removed from the pool, the spare is then used as part of the pool. I don't know maybe you're high or something today user.

>i know what iops are
>what does iops have to do with storage
no you dont and you still dont understand why iops matter and how you went out of your way to make your array as shitty as possible

>If a failed drive is removed from the pool, the spare is then used as part of the pool.
that is entirely the opposite of what you said:
>All I'd have to do is remove the dead drive and put the hot spare in its place.

I've got a Poweredge T110 with 16 GB of RAM and 6 TB of drives (ssd for OS) and ZFS with Raid Z1 going, samba for file sharing and getting some other shit set up, web server, game servers, etc. Server might be NAS capable but full scale NAS isn't much viable with my current income. Wondering if anyone has any cool kiosk-esque set ups for physically accessing the server, I saw something used for ~$140 a couple years back with monitor/keyboard/trackball that I still regret not buying.

Attached: 1521037888090.jpg (600x400, 19K)

I said what does it have to do with my storage.

> your array as shitty as possible
You never said what's shitty about it, unless you're suggesting Raid10 is somehow shitty for no apparent reason.

>that is entirely the opposite of what you said:
No it's not.

>All I'd have to do is remove the dead drive and put the hot spare in its place.
Yes, I remove the dead drive and physically put the hot spare in place of the dead drive since it's now a part of the pool. Obviously it can physically stay at the bottom, but this is purely for keeping things organization.

You're trying way too hard to be shitty, but it won't work because my server is pure and perfect.

Attached: 1445711577073.jpg (255x256, 20K)

>please hold my hand and explain to me like the retard i am what iops are and why they matter
you gimped the fuck out of your performance because you're a retard

>es, I remove the dead drive and physically put the hot spare in place of the dead drive since it's now a part of the pool
that is called a cold spare you retard, and hot spare wouldnt require moving at all

>you gimped the fuck out of your performance because you're a retard
2x vdevs stripped in a mirror raid. That's exactly what I wanted. You're being intentionally vague because you're obviously a shitposter.

>that is called a cold spare you retard, and hot spare wouldnt require moving at all
>Being this autistic about the word usage of hot and cold
ZFS calls it hot regardless of the state, so that's what terminology I used.
"ZFS provides the ability to have 'hot' spares. These are drives that are connected to a pool, but not in use"

For all intents and purposes of this conversation, it's simply a 'spare'. There you happy? I know what the fuck I'm doing. Don't ever insult my server again.

Attached: 1531373001174.jpg (652x795, 234K)

>i still dont understand what iops are or why they matter

>ZFS calls it hot regardless of the state, so that's what terminology I used.
if you're physically moving disks it isnt hot you retard

>I know what the fuck I'm doing
no you dont, you lack the most basic understand of terminology which has been standardized in the industry for decades, and you've clearly never once been in charge of administering a SAN or any other real storage device. If you werent a absolute retard you could have increased performance by 6.5x what it is now. but you didnt because you have no idea what the fuck you're doing. you are the living embodiment of the dunning kruger effect

I have two rag-tag datahoarding setups, and I'm interested in increasing my capacity through shucking.

What happens if:

I shuck an external drive and within the warranty period, I'm looking to RMA the drive?

Here's a more descriptive/long question:
The external hard drive has a 5 year warranty.
The hard drive inside has a 2 year warranty.

Will the hard drive maker accept an RMA of a bare drive (even within 2 years)?

Will I have to merge the 'original' drive and the original external casing?

Under what situations will my RMA be denied?

>if you're physically moving disks it isnt hot you retard
Until it's moved it's hot.

>no you dont
Yes I do.

>standardized in the industry for decades
I don't care and I'm going to continue calling them hot spares as per ZFS.

> and you've clearly never once been in charge of administering a SAN or any other real storage device.
This is irrelevant. Stop projecting.

> If you werent a absolute retard you could have increased performance by 6.5x
Did you also know I could've stripped every single drive like a retard and have gotten *increased performance* too?

>you are the living embodiment of the dunning kruger effect
haha, You're doing a terrible job at shitposting. But enough, you're wasting my time now.