Water Cooling or Air Cooling?

which coolin/g/ method does Jow Forums use? I have a Ryzen 7 2700 chip running at 3.8Ghz on all cores using just the stock cooler, and it's getting up to about 72-73C. I like to mess with 4k videos, so I would like to get it to 4.2GHz stable, but realize that I will probably either need to get something like a Dark Rock Pro 4 or an AIO. I've never used water coolers so I'm interested in hearing from those who have used them. What's your water cooled rig look like?

Attached: 2YM-0004-00015-V08.jpg (640x480, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2YM-0004-00015
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

air

Water cooling is air cooling with extra step, it's more expensive and it's guaranteed to destroy your expensive components eventually by flooding. Just get a big beefy radiator and slap 140mm fan on it.

AIO's are garbage. The only reason today to use water cooling over air is for noise reduction and aesthetics. If you want actual water cooling, be prepared to spend a ton of cash on doing it the right way.

>it's guaranteed to destroy your expensive components eventually by flooding
Are you speaking from experience here or are you just mad that you don't have a fancy water cooled PC? Just asking.
I can see how a water cooler could get things to a more silent place than a heat sink with a fan, a little noise doesn't really bother me but I will admit I do kind of like the look/idea of a water cooled PC, and if it ups the ceiling for an overclock that's a bonus too.

Also never use electrolytic coolants, this means water or any of the shelf cooling fluids, because a liquid cooling system is guaranteed to leak sooner or later, so whatever is leaking better not be conductive. You can use glycol or mineral oil.

My PC air cooled with 2 lb brick of tightly spaced sheets, I get better temps than any 2x120 water block cooled CPU, let alone 1x. Water cooling system fucking leak and most AIOs do sooner than later, just read the reviews you ape.

Ive lost a pc to a water cooler

Just get a heatsink that looks like this. It'll see you back about $50. If it just barely fits into your case, it's a good sign.

Attached: 35-856-002-09.jpg (640x480, 49K)

Seconding this. My engine block of a noctua keeps the i7 99k housefire under control.

>noise reduction
???

OK, thanks for the tips niggers. I've been eyeing a dark rock pro 4, not sure if it can fit in my case though, and I'm not too happy about the price of $90 but I guess you get what you pay for.

>AIO Masterrace
Real Talk tho, 80% of users can get a hyper 212 evo and call it a day. Both do a fine job, I wouldn't recommend anything under 240 for an AIO but any Air cooler that matches an AIO (there are plenty) usually sacrifice case space (big as fuck)

Attached: Fuck off retard.png (1900x1085, 1.87M)

Has AIO technology gotten quieter? I haven't used one since 2013 when I installed one for a friend but I've always avoided them and stuck with air because it's inaudible (with Noctua) at lower speeds.

You're doing something wrong if you can't hit ~70C with all cores at 4.2 GHz on the stock cooler. What voltage did you use for that?

Not him but i have a Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 240mm and the pump is inaudible, the only thing that makes noise is the fans at 100% but if you run them at 60% which is good enough to cool the rad you can barely hear em. I was an air cooler guy too but since my motherboard is mATX i was afraid to break it with my old CM V8 so i swapped it for the AIO.

Mine has some cheap ass fans on it so it's a little audible (but I can't hear it unless my whole house is quiet) and my 8700K is at a constant 5.0ghz but if I turned down the OC it would be silent. If you get a decent one made past like 2015 with good fans you won't hear any pump noises or fan noises, after that the loudest thing in your PC would probably be your GPU

Thanks. Hopefully I am not dissapointed, if I ever go that route.

Not in a real stress test lol. You're probably not stable unless your voltage is around 1.4V, and sometimes that doesn't even cut it

pic related, the voltage is at 1.2. The ambient temp in my house is pretty low too, open windows and a California winter evening.

Attached: Ryzen 7 2700 under load.png (907x399, 48K)

Also you should be aware that is a 2700, NOT a 2700x. There's a difference, both 30w of tdp and significant stock clock difference. The 2700 does boost up to 4.1 GHz on some cores in gaming though, so it's a pretty decent chip if you can get it at a discount.

I recall the dark rock 4 blocking the first ram slot on some mobos. Not sure about the pro 4 one, just do your research first.

You can still bypass and overclock on the 2700 right?

get air or some sort of corsair pro series aio, nothing else is worth it.

Yeah, definitely. It's just that the 2700 requires an aftermarket cooler AND draws more power to get to the speeds that the 2700x hits out of the box and at lower power.

The 2700 only makes sense if you can get it for much cheaper (I got it for $100 off in a flash sale) and fan live with a less than maximum overclock.

Out of the box the 2700X has variable clock speeds. Comparing a multiplier OC to Precision Boost is inherently unfair to compare against unless you're showing multi-threaded results (since precision boost is designed to benefit partial thread use).

Both. Depends on what's on sale.

Never had any problems with using distilled water, and mineral oil will eat the common used plastics, and rubber.

ive spilped plenty of distilled water on my pc so im going to assume you never build a custom loop and only used name brand shit with unidentified liquids

I lost a build years ago to a watercooler fail.

Never again dealing with that level of bullshit.

What happened?

Yeah was it a AIO or a custom loop

>posted on hyper 212 w/ thermally throttled pajeet PC

>95c is perfectly within safe operating temperatures

9900K with aio at 5ghz

Attached: deABNEX.png (476x671, 329K)

Another thing that AIOs have is that since they're not just pushing the same air around in the same area that VRMs will tend to be cooler after prolonged usage. Your VRMs and in turn CPU may be getting hotter as a result of the mobo itself not receiving adequate cooling and or pajeet mobo.

Nope, NoctuaD15. My CPU has never gone over 40C.

Attached: Noctua-NH-D15-12.jpg (1000x839, 203K)

what CPU?
Also any OC?

Ordered an aio but now I'm thinking of bitching out, what are the RGB alternatives?

to what, you can get RGB Aios. newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2YM-0004-00015

distilled water can still harm plenty of components if you're not quick to clean it up. distilled water can become electrolytic from dust and air exposure.

this
4470k @ 4.2 ghz and I've never heard it outside of prime95 whereas my old h100i sounds like a goddamn 747 taking off

bitch out and get an air cooler you autistic faggot

This.

Distilled water is dielectric, and it takes a long time for it to become ionized, so shut the fuck up retard. Now go break your hardware with mineral water dipshit.

>Mineral *oil

Have an AIO that's a few years old now. The tech, especially the pumps, has come a long way in recent years, and are generally better than the top three air coolers (NHD15, DRP4 and Grand Macho), but come at a higher cost.

I'll prob get a Dark Rock Pro 4 for Ryzen this year cos my case will be big enough for cpu clearance.

Attached: 4 and pro.jpg (1277x619, 106K)

Look up your case, manufacturers list the max cooler height