How strong of a CPU do I need in order to emulate PS3 games flawlessly? Is this possible with a Ryzen?

How strong of a CPU do I need in order to emulate PS3 games flawlessly? Is this possible with a Ryzen?

Attached: rpcs3.png (1380x645, 614K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Synchronization_Facility
cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Is this possible with a Ryzen
Maybe with 4000 series

>emulator
>Ryzen
Emulator devs often go out their way just to make an amd patch for your shitty hardware to be able into emulation, just buy a real cpu, you're slowing down their progress.

Why not just base the emulator around AMD and patch for Intel? Ryzen is a great architecture.

>no AVX-512
>Ram Latency Problems

Maybe the devs themselves use intel.
Or maybe because intel makes the majority of the market [citation needed] and perhaps it's more familiar and easy to work with, I don't know much about amd hardware but i think their CPUs are the only good thing they put out.

Just download a game and test your performance.

Experimental emulators are going to run like shit on any cpu that isn't a an overclocked 5ghz power well.

not optimized for amd.

Ryzen is not an architecture

That's a rather silly argument considering they're going to be emulating AMD Jaguar chips. In fact it's probably easiest to do on an 8 core FX series chip as it's about the closest related desktop hardware around. There's almost no need to emulate at that point.

>ps3
>emulate
>flawless
>ryzen
Uhhh

So just buy an i9-9900k goy!

Intel has superior software. Their compiler is top notch, and improves performance on both Intel, and and CPUs.

>and and CPUs

>...and-and CPUs!

GCC is the best compiler when it comes to performance

This is relevant to my interests.

I'd rather buy PS3 discs and emulate them rather than buying a used obsolete console.

RCPS3 uses some specific intel instruction set that doesn't exist on Ryzen - none of the devs at the time owned any AMD hardware. it works under Ryzen, and you can even hit 60fps but some issues and stuttering persist, and it's generally not smooth as the equivalent Intel processor.

Attached: intel_benchmarks.png (1124x686, 83K)

You do realize almost every actively developed emulation core team is working on or has already released a version of their core that uses Vulkan as its rendering pipeline right? The benefits of using Vulkan in emulation are massive, and have in some cases allowed for projects like ParaLLEl, which aim to be cycle accurate hardware virtualizations, rather than just emulation cores.

Please keep discussing this. I don't often learn things on Jow Forums.

Exactly. AMD absolutely neglects the software side for their hardware, and using Intel's will give them a boost.

What are you talking about the ps3 used a cell processor

Oh right. My point is invalid then. Thank you user.

>the ps3 used an incel processor

How is performance for MGS4?

>someone admits a mistake on Jow Forums and thanks the person who pointed it out to him
Keep being an alright sort of person.

I have i5 3570 and 1050 ti. It is ok?

>flawlessly
No way
>Is this possible with a Ryzen?
10 fps max in red dead redemption
You need a CPU with at least 8 threads and TSX support (because that's an instruction set rpcs3 uses and there is no other decent emulator besides rpcs3). 6700k/7700k will suffice. Don't know about coffelakes, 8400 should probably be fine too even though it only has 6 threads. It won't be flawless but will be the best you can get on PC.

If you own one already, why don't you try it yourself? Well it doesn't have TSX support so will probably be same or worse than ryzen, depending on a game.

its not so much about the CPU that is it about the stability of the emulator and how each different Rom will run on it

the fuck does avx512 have to do with anything

No. Try to look for a work, fucking poorfag.

ESLs everywhere, Christ.

>faster chip will solve emulator errors
Babbys first meme

Nothing, that's just retarded intel shill spamming all the threads
It will not solve errors but may handle race conditions better.

What are you expecting on the internet, an international service. On a Japanese website no less.

>have 2700x
>games just fine
God these intel shill trolls are getting boring.
Is this because they know Zen2 will totally fuck them over?

Attached: bignose.png (670x682, 280K)

RPCS3 runs fine in any he that's well-optomized on a Ryzen 2600 I own. Demon's Souls ran well.

Just buy a fat ps3 for like £20 and put rebug on it, ps3 emulation still has quite a long way to go

>£20

Where? People are still selling overheating fats for >60€

>How strong of a CPU do I need in order to emulate PS3 games flawlessly?
Zen 2 3700X will suffice.

That's not what that screenshot is showing. What's happening there is that the same ryzen processor is somehow magically running twice as fast on a specific benchmark after hacking it into thinking that the ryzen processor is actually intel.
Intel's compiler deliberately sabotages performance of its code when it detects that it's running on non-intel hardware

I ran games no problem on an i5 4690k (stock cpu speed) and an RX 580

Microcode update blocks TSX on haswell. You need at least skylake to be safe.

You're thinking of PS4. PS3 is PPC + Cell i think

It's not about raw CPU power you /v/tard

Attached: 8aab0cd5fa09bc4d08478e1052dd281e.jpg (450x675, 57K)

whats with the jewess

>pcsx2 still doesn't have vulkan or 64bit

>emulate PS3 games flawlessly
The version number should give you a hint about the state of PS3 emulation.

Forgot the pic

Attached: Screenshot_20190228_155515.png (564x333, 66K)

pcsx2 is never going to be 64bit, mr. brainlet

I can play PS3 games flawlessly on my cell broadband processor. Picked it up at a pawn shop for a hundred bucks, came with the rest of a PS3... But seriously this emulator doesn't particularly care about high core/thread count beyond 8 or so threads. What you really need are high AVX clock speeds.

>PS3 games flawlessly
cell
that being said, RPCS3 benefits from high core clock, therefore 6-8c intel works better for that purpose
Ryzen 2xxx is also more than fast enough.
Basically doesn't really matter as long as it has 6+ cores.

>Is this possible with a Ryzen?
Yes, absolutely. I do it on my home system.

>emulate
>flawlessly
You don't understand how emulation works.
And emulation depends very heavily on your CPU, the GPU's power only comes into play if you're changing the internal resolution.

tl;dr come back in 5 years.

not even close playable right now. A major breakthrough was it getting to the loading screen recently. MGS4 was a game that was basically built completely for the cell architecture and emulating it is probably one of the most difficult tasks for them.

Attached: GuzmaFeels.png (699x1050, 156K)

Ryzen is a breand of processors, Zen(+) is the microarchitecture

oh my god I dont care

Thanks for telling me

Who's tougher to emulate, Cell or EE?

clueless: the post

cell

The problem isn't really emulating the CPU. Reverse engineering API calls takes a lot of effort.

>want to play ps2 and ps3 games
>check out emulation scene
>best case is the game 'kinda works. Needs all kind of Fuckery to run well.

Bought a fat ps2 and a slim ps3 for dirt cheap and have them set up to play ripped games. Doing that took less time and potentially cost versus emulation.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Don't listen to this clueless Nigger, they don't even know how to count.
I have a 2600 and can play every game on 30 fps or patch 60 fps and I played lots of Rpcs3 games.

its like when game devs release games in alpha version and it turns out its the final version

Attached: 7601475800834897.jpg (252x252, 10K)

Why would you lie on the internet?

Fucking this.
This allows for high parallelization, which helps Ryzen.
Hell! Even bsnes/higan got a big parallelization update recently.

It's going to be a long, long, long....
etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
time before you can emulate PS3 games flawlessly. In pracitcal terms, it may never happen.

Buy a Power9.

buy a fat PS3 and install gentoo

My 2600 is literally running everything flawlessly, I guess IntelAviv is in full force today

The EE is a very simple single core processor, it gets tricky to emulate PS2 games because a lot of games were optimized to take advantage of certain quirks of the architecture and utilized API differently from title to title. The Cell is much more complex from an architectural standpoint because each "core" can't do much on its own and needs to be given very precisely packaged instructions to be used to its full capability, thus the API is enormously more complicated by comparison.

>How strong of a CPU do I need in order to emulate PS3 games flawlessly? Is this possible with a Ryzen?
I have an i7-6700K and can emulate Demon's Souls without too much issues.
The main issue comes where it has to compile the enviroment for the first time (when you enter a new level) since that takes so much from the cpu that it creates a bit of lag but after that it works pretty good.

>The EE is a very simple single core processor
yea, it's a normal 300MHz MIPS cpu core... if you ignore the two VUs (vector units) bolted on
you could argue the ps3's cpu is a simple single core PPC processor as well, ignoring the SPUs

Attached: Basic+PS2+Architecture+IOP:+Input+Output+Processor.jpg (960x720, 96K)

i don't get it
really, the hell is this?

x86, still no PS4 or Xbox one emulator

Is it awkward to get setup? I have ps1 and dolphin etc but I can't even get the ps2 or dreamcast emulators to work.

It works out of the box. Well, just like any other emulator. You must lack intelligence though.

I think a 955 Phenom II would do just fine.

:(

No, it's because they're exactly like the nintendo/sega/microsoft/sony fanboys from the old times.
And the same can be said about many AMD fanboys as well.
In many cases this board is literally /v/, except with nvidia/amd/intel instead of nintendo/microsoft/sony.
And C/C++/Rust/Python etc.. instead of mario or halo.

He didn't say you are a liar, he said you are clueless. Which you are.

Spoofing the CPU manufacturer to get Intel-optimized code to run on AMD CPU (which of course it can do just fine) instead of a poorly optimized, generic code path.

In other words, Intel is scum.

Don't forget AV1 vs HEVC

Do people still use the Intel compiler?

I have a kaby lake i7 laptop w/ 940MX and can emulate persona 5 decently

there's only 2 games that work on that trash, persona 5 and demon's souls.
Patreon funded shit is garbage, now it's much better than cemu which is closed source but still.
The patreon models ensures that it will be a hack based emulator to support the popular games (and get those sheckles).

Not in your lifetime

RPCS3 performance depends on hardware transactional memory, which Ryzen doesn't have. It's possible that Zen 3 or even Zen 2 could have it but I wouldn't count on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Synchronization_Facility

Would this be the eventual equivalent?

Yes.

snap 845 adreno 630 should do it

Another Jow Forums thread where no one has any clue what they are talking about.
In emulation you want to get the most IPC (and a few other things). This list
cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
pretty much tells you all you need. Ryzen is a good CPU, and you can actually emulate most things on a decent level, hell even my 8350 gets most things done, but if you want to build a PC to emulate stuff, go Intel.
Look at the list, and choose a CPU that's
>Intel
>In your Price range
>New
and you should be good. Notice that you don't need a lot of cores for emulation.
That being said, emulation is very tricky and I wouldn't bet on emulating most Games even with an 9900k. So emulating PS3 games "flawlessly" is not possible at the current point in time, except for very few games.
Have fun.

it's another sign of the apocalypse

this.

>Emulation
>Flawless

Pick only one

None, the software is fundamentally underdeveloped right now and the bottlecaps are usually in the emulator. You have to wait a few more months/years, after that even a Ryzen 5 should be enough. Plenty of games already run at ~23fps on mine.