twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bsdgames

OpenMW works great.

The Talos Principle

anything on Steam + Linux

CrossCode

Rise of industries

OpenRCT2.

Very similar to OpenTTD, in that it too is the open source engine of a Chris Sawyer game. Very early in the development, Rollercoaster Tycoon was a Transport Tycoon sequel, except the trains morphed into rollercoasters.

Attached: openrct2.png (1280x720, 383K)

Been playing Cave Story again recently. It has a good Linux port. And it's free.
cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

FTL
Plague Inc.
Kerbal Space Program

I also played Devil Daggers and Turok a little

Dwarf Fortress

Also the community content for OpenTTD extends the game a lot. There are extensions that greatly alter and expand the industry tree, and the invention list. Right now I'm playing a game that I started in the year 1720 and all I had for many in-game years was horse-drawn carriages and sailing ships. Right now I have steam ships and street trams and have already built up an enormous shipping empire with tons of canals.

let the past die, kill it if you must

N E K O P A R A
E
K
O
P
A
R
A

Attached: Screenshot_20190228_145251.png (1920x1080, 2.26M)

which mod?

FIRS is the big one for industry expansion.

I'm not using that for this current game though, here is the list I'm currently using. 'Sailing Ships' and 'Squid Ate FISH' are the two big ship expansions. eGRVTS is a big one for ground vehicles and trams.

Attached: my ships.png (821x550, 471K)

How well does it compare to the original RCT at this point?

I've been playing vanilla game for years (plus graphics/changes like town names)
but that level of customisation I never looked into, sounds comfy desu
post pics user

Widelands is good for a few hours of fun if you liked serf city.

It's a feature complete implementation of RCT2, with a bunch of nice modifications and additions, like being able to run well at modern resolutions, has fast forward, a bunch of little convenience tweaks, etc.

It also has a noclip mode that lets you do some pretty crazy shit with it. I don't so much get into that, but some other people do incredible shit with it: youtube.com/watch?v=R7EQ8i7iD_A

Did you see the footage of someone exploring skyrim maps?

Attached: tram city.png (1366x768, 1.18M)

that's one of my cities with a new tram network. half my cities are still rocking horse carriages though.

Attached: old city.png (1366x767, 1.59M)

overview.

I'm saving a large portion of the map for when trains are invented in 1920. The money I've gotten from my shipping network should give me an explosive head start on trains.

Attached: network.png (1120x570, 104K)

Also I should say, there are extensions to OpenTTD that go far beyond what I'm using right now. Apparently there are some that add campaigns of sorts, with progression goals and whatnot. I've not yet delved into that stuff.

thanks user, sounds great
looking cool, those cities are huge. makes it a pain to insert yourself later on but they're comfy af

Attached: QE3Geso_d.jpg (640x1689, 162K)

>mr bones for ants?

Starting out with only ships was pretty rough; I located a lake that had a power plant and a few coal mines to make money quick and grew the cities and towns on it fast with horse carriages so I could start shipping passengers. Passenger lines are my real money makers now.

And yeah getting train stations into these cities is going to be a chore. I won't even have much room to spam trees.

Attached: lake.png (1366x768, 1.29M)

This city grew shockingly fast and I hardly focused on it at all. I put a canal into city center as an afterthought and only had two passenger liners and a horse carriage network in it.

I have no idea how I'm going to get trains into town. I might end up using trams to distribute through the city, transferring to and from a train station outside the city.

Attached: wreebrook.png (1313x659, 1.4M)

apologies
finding a lake like that and being able to build cities up using each other is great stuff
Do you need mods to mix two transport types in the same line? As in a boat bringing something to a dock which doesn't have anything nearby but then placing a lorry station there too?

Attached: bones.jpg (2022x3061, 2.64M)

Linux is a kernel, it doesn't play games by itself. You need a userland for that.

All of these are nonfree software. Do not play them. Software that isn't free (as in freedom) is harmful even if it's something as mundane as a video game. Note this has nothing to do with price. Instead of paying for nonfree games on a nonfree DRM service such as Steam, save your money for proper free and open source games.

>Do you need mods to mix two transport types in the same line? As in a boat bringing something to a dock which doesn't have anything nearby but then placing a lorry station there too?
No, you can combine two stations of different times (or the same type) by either placing them directly next to each other, or holding down Control when placing one of them. They need to be within 12 or so blocks of each other though.

I should be able to use this trick to place a train station on the outskirts then pair it with a tram station closer to the middle of the city. Then use trams to transfer passengers to the tram/train station to supercharge it.

lmao miss me with that shit nerd
I'll play a game of counter strike after I die in nethack and you cannot stop me

I wish i was this autistic

xonotic
chaosesque anthology
minetest(built around modding, modpacks are referred to as games, it's good and really deserves more attention)
openttd
openloco
openrct2
0 AD
Super Tux Kart

and mostly with emulators you can consider to be free enough

You can have a lot of fun with OpenRCT2 without being that autistic. But it's a game that scales with autism very well, if you know what I mean. It lets you be as autistic as you want.

gitlab.com/librebob/athenaeum

A steam store entirely for open source games.

>Super Tux Kart
baste

I don't care. The only one you are harming with your nonfree software is yourself.

>counter strike
Not only is this harmful nonfree software, it is also literally a bad game that is not fun.

kek fuck you retard

Attached: Screenshot_20190228_163315.png (1292x787, 1.28M)

CrossCode uses an open-source engine faggot, not everything on steam is nonfree.

OpenRCT2
>free
>requires the original game to play

The engine is open source, the art from the original isn't. Honestly though you can often pick up the original game on GoG for a dollar, or just torrent it.

OpenTTD however now has free graphics and sound, so the original game is no longer required. That will probably be the future of OpenRCT2 as well, but it's going to take a while to recreate everything.

Deus Ex

Attached: jc.jpg (1920x1080, 516K)

but more often than not, the bigger part of a game is it's assets. I.e the graphics and models and whatnot, so would I be nonfree if I made digital art and sold it for money? Games have a right to be nonfree because they're not tools, they're a form of digital art. Like movies or comics.

>Be you
>Go all the way to lan party in another state with desktop pc.
>Everyone using Windows machines and even a couple of nerds with Linux, games are decided on the moment: CoD2, Warcraft 3, Killing Floor, Quake Live, UT2004 (3 of those games run on Linux and even low-end computers, so everyone can have fun)
>come into the lan
>"Y ALL ARE VICTIMS OF MUH PROPRIETARY EVIL SOFTWARE I CAME TO HAVE FUN AND BEING FREE WHY CANT Y'ALL PLAY TUX RACER FUCK THIS LAN PARTY YOU ALL ARE EVIL YOU MADE ME COME ALL THIS WAY FOR NOTHING FUCK YOU WHAAAA :("
>say "fuck this cia niggers, i'll play tux racer by myself and show them what is good'
>xorg.conf breaks
>spends all day fixing his arch lingus while everyone has fun

Attached: cowsay.png (380x186, 12K)

Free game engines allows people to create their own free art and have free games. Just think of all the open source games derived from the GPLv2 id tech 3 engine. There is some great shit like Tremulous and Open Arena (which has identical gameplay to Q3A).

See also OpenTTD which started out as a direct C port of proprietary assembly, then had the C code swapped out with GPL C code over time, then finally got open source assets and is now completely free.

Graphics aren't code, so it's not relevant if they're nonfree. You can't put spyware and DRM in art, proprietary code is needed for malicious developers to deploy those features.

>Open Arena (which has identical gameplay to Q3A)
t. only played quake casually

The source for your game can be open and you can still make money selling the game. in fact it would be better to have it this way so you can build up a modding community. Just look at what happened with Quake, Id open-sourced their engine and the industry fucking exploded and they reaped massive benefits from it, the modding community kept those games alive and sales going much longer than the vast majority of other games out there.

You don't need to "open-source" your assets, I mean shit you can grab the assets from any game and look at them to begin with, it's not like they're encrypted or something. You just can't call it your own and try to resell it.

The only thing that's different is the assets. OSP and CPM both work with Open Arena, as does Defragged.

Why would I go to a LAN party if the only thing anyone wants to do there is play harmful nonfree games?

Also why do you think the only way to have fun is to give up your freedom? I don't particularly think fixing broken Arch installations is fun, but it is necessary if people want to use that distro. Don't act like Windows updates don't also cause tremendous problems for that type of thing anyway

>Don't act like Windows updates don't also cause tremendous problems for that type of thing anyway
Works on my machine.

>harmful
Totally agree, vanilla has killed millions of my sons.

Attached: Vanilla_NEKOPARA_Vol_1_Artwork_8.jpg (1920x1080, 332K)

Too bad nobody ever played it, too busy not being autistic and playing Q3 like a normal person.

>games
>harmful
>non-free
Explain how enjoying an interactive artistic medium is harmful if the source code is not under an open license.

>linux
>games

God dang it, both Vanilla and Chocola are too hot in two different ways.

Attached: 1550863064808.png (500x388, 103K)

Sounds to me like a case of mad cuz bad

you must be a fun person to be around!

Do not install harmful proprietary OSes on your machine.

An artist who asks you to surrender your freedom is disrespectful and irresponsible.

Why would I invest time in being good at a game which is harmful and not fun?

Why should I corncern myself with that when you will just use it as an excuse to push harmful software?

It's unironically just as fun as Mario Kart.

BING BING
YIPEEEE

>Explain how enjoying an interactive artistic medium is harmful
It causes brain damage, just look at /v/.

I could never get Dwarf Therapist to run on Linux and I'm not autistic enough to manage jobs manually

WARZONE 2100

Fucking this. Campaign is great
Also OpenXcom

I like you

this board has more brain damaged people than /v/, and I'm no fan of /v/

>games are art 8O xDD
yeah and self help books are literature
pointless fucking distinction when it's onion ass bing bong wahoos anyway

The Ur-Quan Masters
nobody mentioned this yet

Attached: file.png (484x214, 23K)

BASED and Stallmanpilled

Attached: grocery stores fear him.png (300x250, 83K)

werks for me :^)
if you're familiar with the nix package manager you can use that to install a fairly complete dwarf fortress package onto whatever distro you'e using, it's a little more involved because it doesn't seem to come with the lazynewbpack graphical configuration utility and you'll need to override the nix file to make any changes but if it installs without issues it should just work
it's also lacking any embark profiles which you can just dump manually into ~/.local/share/df_linux/data/init/embark_profiles.txt
if you don't want to use nix the lazynewbpack repo has some distro fixes that you might need to apply to give dwarf therapist permissions to read dwarf fortresses memory but it might also need sudo permissions

MAKE WAY FUCKING BRAINLETS

Attached: cb5424b775d4a6ac28320eb5b30dcc7b97963185.jpg (616x353, 63K)

widelands

also this

Nix is awesome, but the initial bootstrap to a nix install can still be pretty painful. I think it was packaged for Debian not too long ago; hopefully other distros follow suit.

DCSS, CDDA
Absolute patrician taste.
youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3rCE-RrLc

This is why no one takes freetards seriously

Ultima Online

You didn't answer my question, and instead dodged it with a different answer, yet talk about disrespect. A bit ironic, huh?

Stallman doesn't give a fuck about games being open source or not.

He does:
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html

Rightly so, he doesn't think there is an ethical imperative to make art assets or music free, but still thinks the source code should be free.

> My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

k

OpenRA
openra.net/
You can view many free games here
libregamewiki.org/List_of_games

That doesn't mean you discount the negative effects.

>Any GNU/Linux distro that comes with software to offer these games will teach users that the point is not freedom. Nonfree software in GNU/Linux distros already works against the goal of freedom. Adding these games to a distro would augment that effect.

>There's no good in writing it as a nonfree game. To have freedom in your computing, requires rejecting nonfree software, pure and simple. You as a freedom-lover won't use the nonfree game if it exists, so you won't lose anything if it does not exist.

I knew that he had a problem with DRM, but I didn't think that he gave a fuck about games being open sourced.

Enemy territory.

huniepop is really fun.

auto chess is in right now.

cube 2: sauerbraten if u cant into quake

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

RMS pls go

Rimworld, homm3, mount and blade warband, steamplay for everything else seems to work pretty gud too

Proprietards like you don't take anything seriously including your own freedom and wellbeing, so whh should I care what you think?

You didn't ask any questions. Anyone who tries to take control of your computer is trying to remove your freedom, even if that person claims to be an "artist"

If you want to feel like hax0rman then hacknet works on Linux and is actually pretty fun

You can't tell me what to do. Sorry Richard but you're just as bad as the copyrighters with your stupid licenses, you literally believe intellectual property is a thing but only when its copy"left".

SOMA, is free on GOG I heard. That game is Jow Forums af, and the fucking story was dope

SOMA, is free on GOG I heard. That game is Jow Forums af, and the fucking story was dope.

As long as copyright exists, copyleft is necessary to correct it. I personally would prefer that neither of them exist, but that is not possible right now.

>free and open source
This makes no sense. If something is free then it is, by definition, open source. Why do you have to say free and open source? This just muddies the definition of free. All you have to say is free software.