Managed to install Arch without much difficulty. Relatively speaking, how difficult is it to install Gentoo?

Managed to install Arch without much difficulty. Relatively speaking, how difficult is it to install Gentoo?

Attached: gendoo.png (382x400, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SrU9YDoXE88&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The same following of instructions, just more steps, customisation and more waiting time while stuff compiles.

RTFM

Arch is very easy to install.
Gentoo will be a challenge for you.

Really depends on if you intend to compile your own kernel or use genkernel.
If you're sticking with genkernel the difficulty is about the same, with just a few more steps.
Compiling your own kernel will require significantly more research and setup time than you need for arch.

This

installing doesn't mean much, the challenge of systems like that are maintaining them

most people can't do it

I knew so many students in undergrad cs who would all brag about their sick compiled linux builds and they all went back to windows eventually because they never learned how to keep their system going and it got over their head

I stopped at arch. arch is great. I've been using it over a decade and it's now in my opinion the true linux

I gave arch a try. Intended to just try it. I'm still using it. It jest twerks.

>the true linux
As opposed to what? ``Fake" linux?

I mean I now see it as the one true "canonical" linux because it's so good and does so much right

obviously it's just my opinion but arch is in my view the best distro in a way there's never really been before

really easy, if you can read and occasionally comprehend autism.

>one true "canonical" linux
In what way is it ``canonical"? It's not even uniquely describable using a couple of simple broad traits.
>does so much right
How is only doing things right a good enough indicator of a distro being the ``one true" linux? What if some distro does a lot of things right, but even more things wrong?

honestly man I don't care enough to get into a distro argument

the aur and wiki alone put arch in a tier on its own, with no equals

the overall design, config, and philosophy as well as the approach to packages and vanilla installs are appealing in ways other major distros aren't especially in neutrality

those are my opinions and it's not something worthwhile or meaningful to argue about in the way I'm sensing you're getting ready to

to me arch has surpassed all the other distros and now is my association for linux, with the other distros being flavors. that's my opinion as somebody who has used linux for 20 years and arch for about 10.

Void is better.

Attached: 77060A8B-3A8C-474E-9571-787A6DF30EF3.jpg (338x654, 41K)

It's not a distro argument, it's a "you not using words properly and having no real argument" argument.
>the aur and wiki alone put arch in a tier on its own
That's just blatantly not true, there are shitty arch clones which have the AUR. And the wiki is applicable to literally any distribution.
>philosophy as well as the approach to packages
>neutrality
Maybe only if you're a developer of arch.
>those are my opinions
You realize that you don't have to justify your choice of distro by claiming it to be the ``one true" linux, right? You don't have to defend your choice of using arch by trying to claim that things like ``minimalism" which it doesn't even adhere to are a valid and good reason for using it. Something like "it just works for me" is an infinitely better reason for using arch.

thanks yeah this is the kind of conversation I meant, sorry but it's not worth talking to you

Look mom! I'm trolling the Internet!

Attached: anonymous kiddo 58d55ba9.jpg (700x525, 175K)

>Ur a faggot
No u
>Ur a faggot
No u
>Ur a faggot
No u
>Ur a faggot
No u
>Ur a faggot
No u
>Ur a faggot
No u

youtube.com/watch?v=SrU9YDoXE88&t=1s

As expected, no actualy reply and just "i think it's the one true loonix xDDD".
I'm really thinking of installing arch right now after you made this post. Is there a good install guide for it? I can't really follow basic stuff too well without losing focus.

it's not much different
here's literally the whole process
>boot into live distro
>partition and mount partitions
>connect to the internet
>download and unpack stage3
>chroot
>set hostname, locale, timezone, root passwd, write fstab
>pick profile, `emerge -uND @world`
>compile kernel, install grub
>exit chroot, reboot
the only non straightforward part is configuring the kernel if you decide to do it manually (i wouldn't call it difficult per se; it can be a bit time consuming depending on your autism level)

nonsense. maintaining gentoo is as simple as maintaining any other distro
actually it's easier, since there's no dependency hells and random breakages
>inb4 compile times
you're free to do your updates when it suits you, it's not like you're running windows 10

The Arch Wiki install guide is really the way to go.
Most videos and articles just follow it anyhow, and add their retarded/wrong interpretations.
It is very straightforward, as long as you follow it not much can go wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4

what's a linux?

I agree with arch but I dislike systemd

Fuck off archniggers, use Void