OECD boss: teaching coding to children is useless

telegraph.co.uk/education/2019/02/21/teaching-children-coding-waste-time-oecd-chief-says/

Attached: doctor.jpg (474x379, 23K)

Yes goy, you shouldn't go outside the perfect-slave curriculum that we have carefully crafted for your best interest.

OECD is literally USA, Canada, Europe and Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Of course learning to code is useless there, people expect to earn an actual wage and companies are shipping all the jobs to India where they work for nothing.

Irony: the Post.

>companies are shipping all the jobs to India where they work for nothing.
imaging being so out of touch with the industry that you actually believe that the outsourcing trends from the mid 2000s haven't completely reversed

I have an idea
Instead of teaching kids how to program, how about teaching them some actual shit like hard engineering, repair, and system integration?
Oh that's right because teaching programming is the cheapest thing you can teach while still holding your nose and and proclaiming your teaching and preparing kids for the future

>india is importing americans to shit in the street for them

uh yeah

why do you think people are so butthurt about h1bs?

try to keep up with the industry and not just parrot things you heard second hand 10 years ago

My high school had an intro to programming course and then an AP programming course. I took them, it was easy for me, and it was immediately obvious who among the students had a natural aptitude for it.
I'm glad I took those classes, but it would've been a waste of time to force all students to take it, just like it would've been a waste of time to try to make me take a class on anything that requires physical precision or working with animals (alive or dead).
Options for everyone are good, but it's silly to force everyone to "learn to code" unless your goal is solely to depress wages in the software industry.

Like I said in this post Forcing everyone to go trough some programming course is merely just there to make people feel good that they are teaching kids modern job skills because big tech is the future
Programming also happens to be really cheap to teach requiring almost nothing to start teaching since most schools already have a class-sized computer lab and some teacher around that might happen to know java or something

My personal opinion is that it's probably better for society as a whole to drop white collar wages to rock bottom, so why not.
It'll do more than just diffuse and eliminate the "tech capitals"

H1Bs are the middle-road between supporting the domestic workforce and offshoring everything.

They work on site, so in the same timezone as you.
They've been filtered by the American university system (they all have masters degrees or higher), and they all speak English to some reasonable degree.

Trump made it so that you have to pay H1Bs the same as Americans, and you have to prove that you interviewed Americans before H1Bs, which appreciably reduces the "modern slavery" reputation that H1B has.

Agreed. Far more effective to just write articles suggesting they Learn To Code.

It's only gonna fuck over the bottom half of programmers. If you want to eliminate tech capitals you have to foster a culture of remote working.

>you have to prove that you interviewed Americans before H1Bs, which appreciably reduces the "modern slavery" reputation that H1B has.

It still doesn't truly eliminate the slave aspect. If I'm making money as a software engineer as an American, I can just quit and chill out for awhile. An H1B needs to be employed or they get kicked out of the country.

Fucking incompetent liberal arts majors who genuinely have no idea how programming and algorithmic thinking is related to logic, concrete maths and proper philosophy.

Liberal arts majors in govts is literally a cancer that would kill humanity.

Fucking Russian slavs is another cancer though

>Trump made it so that you have to pay H1Bs the same as Americans

That fucking racist. Doesn't he know it's my goddamned right to hire cheap brown people in order to displace white workers?

If it makes you feel better, we can also outsource stuff to eastern europe, in turn, they outsource stuff to asia.

>Trump made it so that you have to pay H1Bs the same as Americans
>That fucking racist.
Still best timeline.

Attached: 1543781687158.jpg (389x597, 37K)

Of course, otherwise they'd be immigrants.
The whole concept is for h1b's to be a measure to bridge gaps in labor, however it has the effect of damping the "updraft" of high wages which implicitly follow high demand which dampens the incentive for citizens to retool into that trade.

In 2004 I didn't study IT because I figured it all already existed.

He reminds me a bit of old me.

Kids should learn to read and do math so they don't get fucked in the ass by stupid teacher union cunts in grade school. I think countless intelligent minds have been lost to nappy headed elementary school teachers.

Some semifamous dude in the 1800s thought patents were useless because pretty much everything had already been invented.

>programming isn't just applied math
>teaching kids programming doesn't mean you're forced to teach fewer math or language classes
OECD is right, it's a waste of time. No one is going to say they're glad that they spend a year learning basic shit like loops when you could have learned another language or how music works or a science etc

Attached: 1544491421338.png (570x562, 339K)

This. Same reason I never took intro to mechanical engineering in college. You'd need at least a few classes to get to anything interesting.

He's right, but for the wrong reasons.

Not everyone in this world is a college dropout like you, Ivan.

Programming trains the mind in being precise in language usage and other appropriate habits no less efficiently than undergraduate math.

You are just too stupid to realize this, Ivan.

>>programming isn't just applied math

It literally is not applied math. That's like saying mathematics as a whole is applied linguistics and logic.

Pretty sure everyone already knew that. Force some accelerated math on your kids if you want to pretend you're helping them, will be a lot more useful in the long run than learning how to put colored blocks together in some fake "educational" programming language that does absolutely nothing for them.

Wot R U M8?
Paki?