After 5 years, 0.11.0 is finally out

After 5 years, 0.11.0 is finally out

Attached: gnunet.png (1200x1241, 292K)

Need 9.1 more iterations to reach 1.0, which is now due to arrive in 2064.

2064 is due to be a great year (I'll be retired or dead by then)

Hands down the most privacy enforcing program of the world.

Does anyone even use this? I couldn't find any files. I even tried to download a copy of the GPL from a link on the website and it wouldn't download.

This is why 0.11.0 is so important.

Previously distro repos had 0.10.1 which was the newest version, published in 2014. Shortly after it was released, compatibility was broken. Most devs and GNUnet enthusiasts have been building from git, meaning anyone using the versions in repos have almost no peers to connect to.

To make matters worse, the hostlist used to introduce new nodes to the network went offline a year or so ago, so new installations of 0.10.1 have been literally unusable for a while.

Once 0.11.0 is available in your distro's repo (or if you want to compile it yourself before then), I'd recommend giving it another try. Search "commons", "flac", "pdf", etc, there's an interesting assortment of stuff.

Is it in the Guix repos yet though?

Why did you motherfuckers had to release this when I was jumping to I2P?

Literally nothing prevents you from utilizing both.
I2P will only ever be transitional though, while the goals of GNUnet are to be a full TCP/IP replacement.

Attached: sakuragnunet.png (1600x1700, 1.28M)

>the goals of GNUnet are to be a full TCP/IP replacement
I know but they take too long. At least GNUnet filesharing be usable now.

Many have been waiting for this release to actually start working with it.
I think we're about to see a big surge of interest and help, progress will be much faster from here out.

Devs better be working in the non-bloated terminal interface. They need documentation but docs ain't gonna happen if they don't polish CLI first.

I and at least one other person I know have been waiting for this particular release to start dumping media collections

What do you mean by bloated exactly? gnunet-search has its inconveniences (e.g. impossible to check availability without attempting to download), but I wouldn't describe that as bloat.

I meant the GUI, the GUI is (or was) bloated. CLI is okay, not fancy those long names tho, sure they make sense seeing all those functions but can confuse a bit.

Fucking sweet.
That being said I still have never gotten around to checking the details of this shit, how does it compare to say ipfs? Other than that it has anonymity built in iirc, while ipfs has to be stacked with e.g. i2p.

The GUI definitely does still need work. However, they did finally get rid of this monstrosity

Attached: gnunet.png (1066x606, 101K)

IPFS is about filesharing faster and needs I2P for privacy, while GNUnet is all about privacy it can do filesharing ootb.

About anonimity, well, is unbeatable. Not tor, not I2P, nothing compares. But that has its drawbacks as in see the comment To be harden privacy this much they make it hard to know if something is on the network at all, and even if they "found it" you don't know if is available or just a mirage. You can turn the configuration to be more findable without sacrificing much.

Lmao, I remember this, hopefully they give the option to preserve the icons for nostalgia though.

GNUnet is designed to be a replacement for the entire current Internet stack. In addition to filesharing it supports its own backward-compatible replacement for DNS, voice and text chat applications, VPN tunnels, etc. GNUnet is more of a framework applications can use and is much bigger in scope than any other p2p project I can think of.

That being said, gnunet's filesharing application is pretty similar to an anonymous version of ipfs, in that a piece of data can be pinned/published and your node will make it available to others who wish to download it, as well as potentially being cached by some others.

The application in that screenshot is gnunet-gtk, which was basically just a simple wrapper with tabs for other gtk applications, such as gnunet-fs-gtk, gnunet-statistics-gtk, gnunet-identity-gtk, etc. For a little while they changed it to better icons with a consistent design, but then they just removed the gnunet-gtk application entirely since there's no reason to open 5 applications at once when someone is likely only using one or two of them.

I think you're talking to that person.
I've returned to civilization again for the time being - Hit me up on IRC dogg.

Attached: 1548196100392.jpg (614x584, 175K)

the future cometh
and it is glorious

Attached: gnunet1493867435413.png (800x549, 45K)

>i2p
>more anonymous than tor
I don't know about that.

Just as a disclaimer, GNUnet's filesharing isn't really anonymous at the moment. It masks your IP from casual snoops if you use the anonymous filesharing option, but it has neither the network size nor the peer review to rely on its anonymity yet.

I2P uses a different path for outgoing and incoming transmissions.

Also interesting how, somewhat related to this, when we have more users, it will become much faster.

It is. The basic idea is the same, but every peer in i2p can be a transient node, so it's virtually impossible for anyone to sniff the route of your traffic. It also keeps many different routes open so that data doesn't always take the same route.

Important note

For some godforsaken reason the default bandwidth limit is still like 4KBps or something like that, and given all the overhead with routing other people's traffic and a certain percentage of blocks getting lost, you'll be able to upload/download about half that in practice. If you want GNUnet to actually be usable, be sure to update your config file to allow higher bandwidth:

[ats]
WAN_QUOTA_IN = unlimited
WAN_QUOTA_OUT = unlimited

If you don't want it to be unlimited you can replace "unlimited" with a number of bytes (e.g. 10000000 for 10MBps)

Attached: cat.jpg (720x960, 98K)

Thanks

I've heard Gnunet and Freenet are basically the same thing, how does one support large files but not the other?

Freenet is hot garbage, that's how

So when does this get mainlined into the GNU OS's kernel?

Any decent guides to set it up?

I tried to set it up years ago, but it was excruciating. I won't give up though.