Gnome is the most polished Linux DE bar none. Prove me wrong

Gnome is the most polished Linux DE bar none. Prove me wrong

Attached: 94sbEi2.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell-extensions/issues/113
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Icaza
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Shell-Memory-Leak-Fix
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

thanks i hate it

I hate it with a passion.

Gnome only has fans among people who can't install other DEs

Why does your file manager still have a white theme

>most polished DE
>gnome developers still develop using macos with linux in a virtual machine
>completely unusable DE for photo editing because the file manager has no thumbnail view
>file manager some how gets worse and breaks navigation conventions

Deepin DE

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20190228180336.png (1366x768, 604K)

Because terminal uses a dark theme by default in Fedora while everything else is light. One of the first things I do with a fresh install is make the terminal theme light with solarized dark. Even Linus complained about GNOME and Fedora making the terminal theme dark while everything else is light. Gnome Boxes is the same. Also Totem. Gnome-weather is dark by default too. Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

we know
good question

And there's no way to change gnome-boxes, totem or gnome-weather either unlike gnome-terminal. It's fucking retarded.

>Gnome Terminal
>defaults F10 to bring up the help menu of that software
>meanwhile, old and established terminal software use F10 for various things
>have to resort to workarounds and hacks to unbind F10 from Gnome Terminal or just use a whole different Terminal altogether
>polished DE
Or wait, how about
>can't into larger thumbnails in filepicker dialog
>known bug since 2004
>wontfix
>polished DE
Or how about
>remove essential functionality from core system
>rely on third party developers to bring them back through something that is essentially just javascript files
>incompatibility in between some of those addons
>crashes your system
>polished DE
It's really one of the worst DEs in existance as it tries to do new things all the time without thinking about the consequences, like breaking established conventions without explaining why or how to do these conventions the new way.
KDE did a really good job at leaving Gnome behind in terms of both customizability and ease of use.

>rely on third party developers to bring them back through something that is essentially just javascript files
>incompatibility in between some of those addons
don't forget:
>break api third party developers have to rely on between minor/patch releases
>third party developer stops maintaining it, functionality is lost until you Do It Yourself(tm)
>polished DE

Hahaha, yes. How could I forget. Gnome developers literally have no clear goal and just roll dice on what to change next without checking what they might break in the progress.

Nice FUD from early days of GNOME 3 which is no longer relevant. All software had problems initially. KDE 4 was a pos for a long time, initial releases of KDE5 were buggy too.

I have nothing against KDE, but the GNU Desktop Enviroment (GNOME) is the default Linux DE and the de facto Linux Desktop experience.

>GNU Desktop Enviroment (GNOME) is the default Linux DE and the de facto Linux Desktop experience
except when you install actually good distributions and not your babyshit fedora or ubuntu.

rhel based distros always run like shit on my personal machines compared to debian/arch/anything based. Red hat should stick with servers imho

i have to admit gnome is comfy after using win 8 or 10

t.archfag ricefaggot

Ubuntu and Fedora are the only distros that matter. Everything else is NEET shit.

Sorry man, I just really like Xfce. I can't picture myself ever using gnome, I just don't have a need for it.

this
suck it archfags

I strongly agree - HOWEVER - listening to Blink 182 unironically in 2019 is pretty fucking bland my man

Seethe more you poorfags.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-01 um 01.31.08.png (1920x1200, 1.24M)

>2 Windows with dark title bar
>1 Window with light title bar

coming from kde, xfce, i3 and shit like that I have to say gnome and dwm are my favorites. Dwm is very automatic to manage tiling, while gnome is just what you would expect from a nice computer by default. Nice font rendering, applications for documents, images, network configuration, power settings like turning off sleep on lid close, volume, mouse and monitor settings, etc. All of the basics covered. meanwhile the workflow is very clean, you can move windows to workspaces above the one you currently have, or move windows in between already available workspaces instead of static pieces of shit like xfce or kde.
thats important because you don't have to play tetris to fucking move a window between two workspaces when your workflow changes. Anyone that uses xfce or kde is just clumsy to use a computer. Gnome may not have as good workflow as dwm (arguable since tiling is often not needed as you rather overlap windows to have more space while having partial vision of what's behind) but it's not third to other one, and has all the sane settings you could possibly need. My complain would be I don't know how to set gtk to hide titlebars entirely, I can set them to be smaller but I would like to completely remove them.
>typing this in dwm with gnome installed just in case I suddenly need a setting in gnome like a printer config

Attached: 2019-02-28-173508_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 466K)

>n4n0@metal
>that wallpaper

Did you feel your neurons dying when you did those things?

>i3
>dwm
stop conflating WM with DE, they're not synonymous.
.t i3 with KDE

wow, nice comeback.

>worst window manager
>hacked into the worst desktop environment
yikes, that's not me

His neurons were dead by the time he bought his shitty web browsing machine

nice theme, what is it?

there are a million worse WMs than i3, and the same goes for KDE.
No sane person could compare GNOME and KDE and think KDE is worse.

Unity was better.
>gnome developers still develop using macos with linux in a virtual machine
Please tell me you've got sauce!

arc.

I3 is the worst wm. It's literally the gnome of window managers

shed some light on your reasoning.

Yikes.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-01 um 01.47.54.png (717x963, 174K)

indeed.
that tells you all there is to know about linux.

>no sane person
apparently every important distro does.
>kde has a bigger memory fingerprint
>it needs shit like qt
>gtk programs look broken on it
>upstream is a testing unmaintainable mess
>breaks often
>has way too many dependencies and the scope is one of an entire operative system
you may start spilling non sense now, I can't make NPCs into humans. KDE needs a lot of babysit to actually be a useful gui.
Misses the entire point of a gui, I rather use the terminal like I'm using it right now on dwm

It's bloated, it's tiling is retarded compared to dwm and it's config is a small list of predefined options in a text file.

this, I hate the universal tiling/floating mode, dwm with pertag is great.
But I don't agree about gnome. It actually offers a lot of shit you would have to otherwise edit by hand like keyboard layouts or hardware configuration, it's useful and not in the way as much as kde or xfce with its shit menus, they almost are a fucking os inside of an os. it's a good thing that they remove shit from gnome, even though the developers aren't good that's a good philosphy

>but the GNU Desktop Enviroment (GNOME) is the default Linux DE and the de facto Linux Desktop experience
this is why we can't have nice things (or the year of the linux desktop)

for me it's cinnamon

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-28 13-56-23.png (1366x768, 1.47M)

>>kde has a bigger memory fingerprint
this is true.
I'd say it's negligible on pretty much any system, but if you need a firm grasp on your RAM, KDE is not your best bet.
>>it needs shit like qt
is there something inherently wrong with qt?
>>gtk programs look broken on it
my gtk2 programs look exactly like they did under GNOME.
my gkt3 programs too, but they've always looked like shit and I've never been able to fix them.
>>upstream is a testing unmaintainable mess
I can't speak on this as I don't develop for KDE or any other platform, so sure.
>>breaks often
I've never had any DE break on me as much as GNOME 3 did, back when I was trying it out.
KDE has never broken on me ever, but it's anecdotal either way.
>>has way too many dependencies
it's definitely easier to install one or two GNOME programs in KDE than vice versa, it's true.
>and the scope is one of an entire operative system
I don't understand what you mean by this at all.

the problem with qt is that having a qt desktop makes gtk programs look like shit, while the opposite is not true, qt programs look just fine under a gtk desktop.
often even if you set a cursor icon, it will change or flicker when you pass over a gtk program.
it's just a visual glitch. other stuff it's just problems with how kde works under the hood.
>and the scope is one of an entire operative system
>I don't understand what you mean by this at all.
there's widgets and shit that are part of the desktop itself, it is almost like windows. Like you can have an application for weather, clocks, monitor and so on, no need to have it inside the desktop itself. KDE is a collection of programs, I like it, but plasma itself is not as good. Gnome is more polished, plasma feels broken, and using kde for a desktop has many unnecesary stuff that is not even properly maintained. There's often bugs for the desktop or the status bar or the window manager because they can't set priorities with such a big project. Gnome is smaller and uses already existent software for some stuff, like systemd even if you hate it, but all distros are going in that direction so that the linux desktop one day comes.
the point is, gnome aims better for a small funcitonal core than a lot of functionality that may not work. For the little money in desktop linux gets, that is the right direction, else with all that clusterfuck we will always be in the neet broken os desktop.

>KDE is a collection of programs, I like it, but plasma itself is not as good
okay, if we're talking Plasma, then yes, I absolutely agree with you.
I'm running i3 so I don't have to deal with any of Plasma's bullshit.
I haven't used GNOME in years, but definitely remember Shell being every bit as intrusive as Plasma is.

they broke shit just a few months ago with 3.30.1 and were about to push equally breaking changes to 3.30.2 until they decided to revert the changes and hold off on all breaking changes until 3.32 gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell-extensions/issues/113
gtk3 didn't get a stable theme api until some time in 2016 for fucks sake
>All software had problems initially
that's what testing releases are for

>literally whom 3d party extension broken oh nooo
come on dude, I can find worse for kde just by using it. window list extension is a hack to make it like mate, at that point just use mate because that's not how gnome is suposed to work, you have an actual window list in the dock there's no need for a fucking additional list

GNOME is sponsored by Microsoft and Apple to keep Linux desktop bad

Have the gnome developers added thumbnail view to the file picker yet?

>gnome makes breaking changes to the api that third party developers have to use
>>nice FUD from early days of gnome
>they did it 4 months ago
>>boo hoo third party extensions broke who cares
the goalposts, they're on wheels
>I can find worse for kde just by using it
you can find much worse bugs on gnome also but that's beside the point, gnome devs had to reconsider pushing breaking changes to a patch release on stable because it caused a surprising amount of breakage

no and they never will even if you provide the patches
>lennart poettering has closed this issue
>lennart poettering has added tags not-a-bug wont-fix

>Please tell me you've got sauce!
I can't find the exact source I wanted to post so sorry for the cop out answer, best I can do is mention that RHEL does provide its developers with MacBooks or Thinkpads and in general provide documentation for setting up a development environment inside a VirtualBox machine
The original GNOME developer does use OSX though and is outspoken about how Apple killed Linux on the desktop
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Icaza

I code with the de Icaza cornerstone for the Linux Environment and appreciate that guy.
Beside the nicely made lower levels of the system, I always wonder how he ended up feeling satisfied under Apple's DE.
Since 98, Enlightenment is my beloved environment, I feel like a bird in a cage each time I manage a mac and I'm down productive with this UI.

>chanscraper
Yikes.

Hey can I get that wallpaper? You got any like it?

>those blurry fonts and buttons
hackintosh, aren't you?

>Gnome is the most polished Linux DE bar none.
That's not a particularly high bar you're setting.
Even Windows looks better than that crap.

Deepin is literally the most aesthetic desktop put of the box. I don't know about it being Chinese tho

>I don't know about it being Chinese
>What is a source code

Also it is the literal definition of bloat. Just look at its deps its insanity.

I think xfce is the best, as long as you use a launcher.

>have to install extension to be able to put files/shortcuts on desktop

makes u think

it's so polished they smoothed all the features down to get a heavy, shiny, and useless ball

Probably because like 90% of gtk themes, it's incomplete

I literally can't prove you wrong, Gnome is right up there with Deepin and Budge

Илья, вcё в пopядкe?.

How did you replace the huge tablet menu with the drop down?

can't switch tty without shitting itself

>the file manager has no thumbnail view

>solarized
absolutely disgusting

>one of the few to work with xcb
>worst window manager
>t. retard

Wastes too much vertical space with that almost useless top bar, KDE Plasma and Unity are much better

Docks are always trash-tier.

>except when you install actually good distributions and not your babyshit fedora or ubuntu.
fedora is literally the industry standard and ubuntu the consumer standard for a reason and not your micromanage timesink riceos.

Maybe for a very large screen and fast machine.

So polished that as soon as anyone gets it, they change everything.

Looks shit

like the x220?

Xfce is the patrician choice.

Attached: 0e9.jpg (499x499, 26K)

>Debian doesn't matter
>centOS doesn't msatter
>RHEL doesn't matter
t. seething brainlet

>debian is boomer ubuntu
>centos is free rhel
>rhel is commercial fedora

Attached: 1547317544619.gif (224x208, 367K)

>GNU Desktop Enviroment (GNOME)
incorrect
GNOME is GTK: [(G{NUs Not Unix} Image Manipulation Program) Toolkit]
However, 'GNOME' itself stands for nothing.

i really dislike cinnamon, though my setup is nearly identical

Attached: Screenshot_20190301_045204.png (1366x24, 14K)

A polished turd is still a turd.

>2019
>still using a DE
yikes

Right now, GNOME still has no replacement for the taskbar menu that used to exist in the bottom-left corner and which they removed over a year ago. They literally just took it out and never offered a replacement. Whenever asked about it, the reply is usually "just install this plugin (which will break with next week's API)".
You can test it by installing the Owncloud client on a fresh installation of Gnome and figuring out where that icon went.

And they run the internet.
t. Fedora user who doesn't kid himself about Fedora having any online presence at all.

i too like severe sluggishness and a memory leak that crash the whole DE, no matter on what hardware econfiguration i run the thing on, and when Canonical inlcudes such DE in the STABLE release of their flagship distro.

just another reason why on loonix i dont use anything more than a simple window manager. it's just harder for devs to fuck it up.

LINUX IS PILE OF CRAP WHERE NOBODY TAKES RESPONSIBILITY OF ANYTHINGAfijdasfjaskljfdslkajflkdsa;fkdsf

>implying canonical is good
what a retard lmao

does it still have memory leaks?

It's shit, go fuck yourself

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Shell-Memory-Leak-Fix

>GAYnamon
cringe

Budgie is really nice.

>>defaults F10 to bring up the help menu of that software
Are anti-GNOME fags actually retarded? You can change shortcuts, or even disable all of them if you want.

>gayOS
>kraut
>gay wallpaper
the absolute state

I want all gnome project staff to suffer the worst that life has to offer. Worse than bone cancer

Because it's Arc-Darker, some elements are dark while others are light. Actual dark theme is, duh, Arc-Dark, and the all-white theme is Arc

A
FUCKING
FOOT

can i make the top 2 corners square yet? if not then bye

>take picture in Nautilus, try to drag it over the open program icon I want to expand
>doesn't work

>want anything different than the stock desktop
>have to install 9 trillion retarded Gnome tweaks

Neither KDE nor Windows have these problems. Fuck that shit

Attached: 1549917947101.png (303x279, 18K)