When will we switch to fiber?

It's 2019 for god's sake

Attached: 1547748997708.jpg (750x500, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18ztPX_ysWYqEhJlf2SKQQsTNRbkwoxPSfaC6ScEZAG8/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I already get enough in my diet, thanks.

Attached: 1545322392537.jpg (184x184, 34K)

when the telcos get hit with more than slaps on the wrist for what the government paid for but never recieved

yes and 2020 is next good job

Why would I need to switch to fiber?

None of my ethernet runs are longer than 50-75 feet. None of my devices have anything other than 1gbps NICs, and at most over the next 5 years they'll have up to maybe 10gbps ethernet NICs.

Why should I spend good money to replace my existing CAT6a with fiber? And my existing NICs with fiber NICs?

Just doesn't make sense.

Not to mention, my ISP only offers 1gbps internet as it is. Sure, they have plans for beyond 1gbps in the works, but it isn't available yet, and when it does become available, it wont be cheap at first.

So really, what good is fiber for a normal residential consumer?

When it becomes economically viable and the average schmuck can take advantage of it so NEVER. Things like 5G will probably start phasing out cable connections all together as unlimited high speed hotspot comes bundled even in burger mobile carrier plans. Only 6G would actually be able to replace 1Gbps cable ethernet though, 5G will just help bring 50+Mbps speed to more people

>his country doesn't have nationwide fibre

*laughs in sheep*

it's growing very fast, I'm in Poland and my entire city got access to ftth at the end of 2017 (so after the chart).
I now have unlimited 900/100 Mbps for ~€20/month

Attached: 1523126708156.png (520x332, 100K)

>I now have unlimited 900/100 Mbps for ~€20/month
are you maxing out that upload?

constantly? no, what for?
I seed anime torrents for long and that's basically it

I don't. That's why I have hemmies.

>germany in the bottom
der rosa riese war ein fehler

unused bandwidth is wasted bandwidth

Möchtest du mir sagen Milliarden Subventionen für die scheiß Telekom waren es nicht wert kein Netz zu haben und Kupferleitungen ausm Krieg?

Fiber is fascist and bad for climate; only old copper cable are good.

t. german gouvernment

*aluminium cable

classic case of half-baked privatisation:
>like the bahn
>like the post
just taking a former state institution and 1-to-1 slapping it into a newly established market - what could go wrong?
except a quasi-monopoly of that actor because every other new actor in the market
>has yet to invest and establish a net
>has no business organisation
>has no customers

what a shitshow. best case scenario would prolly have been transforming the telekom into a AöR and have them rent / sell the physical net to new actors in the market at pure operating cost + "future fee", but don't have it face towards the customer as a market entity

the german state still has stock stakes in the Deutsche Telekom and they bank on dividends more than service for the citizens.

I'm in the murder capital of the US and I have fiber

all isps have clauses that allow them to kick you out if you use too much on home connection.
There's no uniform price for bandwidth at exchanges and private peering, but as a lowball estimate $10/Gbps/month. Add internal costs and it's at least $50/Gbps.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18ztPX_ysWYqEhJlf2SKQQsTNRbkwoxPSfaC6ScEZAG8/edit#gid=0

If you are a permanently loss-making user don't be surprised when you lose service or it becomes severely degraded. The business idea relies on short-lived bandwidth bursts across many homes that average out.

Locally CDNable downloads, or big commercial sites/servers (they have direct peering with big isps and subsidize users bandwidth) go ahead, max your connection. Especially video sites, big isps make money on every byte they send to users. Multiplayer games like fortnite buy bandwidth and latency from isp, again subsidizing users. I never understood the net neutrality debate in the US, it was never the case in EU and probably because of that unlimited connections are the norm.

immerhin besser als die Ösis

are all euros this much of a cuck?

Ny ISP have been delivering fiber to homes since like 2002 and im 100% loyal to them. Started in like 2004 with them and had a 4/4 line, today its 2019 and I'm getting 500/500 and I'm barely paying any more.

I have only twice in my 16 years of being a customer encountered downtime, and that was when I had to upgrade ports for my newer speeds.

If you dont know who it is already it's Altibox. Been using media converter but I heard they're moving to SFP pretty soon and then I can be 100% copper free in my network.

I know a smartass who was 100% using the bandwidth for three months.
His 1Gbps got capped to 10Mbps for everything outside of direct paid peering and local network.
Speedtest sites still show the maximum speed as servers used are all known and whitelisted for marketing purposes.

they lost their freedom long ago

He's 6,000,000% correct

Infrastructure is already fiber.

But for consumer stuff, the cons outweigh the pros, such as the cables being super fragile.

pretty much

THIS
My Lan connections are all CAT6. Currently, using a cheap gigabit switch. If I feel I need more that gigabit lan, Ill upgrade to a 10gbps switch. Assuming its ever necessary since most consumer hardware barely supports giabit. For example, right now most smart tvs are just 10/100

It's better to have and not need than need and not have.

NZ is already doing fibre to the home.

and that's a good thing

Why should we

pidari
Neesmu robots

zionist here i have a good 1 gigabit fiber connection thingy
very fast for my old animu

The most common cause of line failure is corrosion, which is something glass fiber is immune to. Also due to the longer range of fiber, there's less of a need for amplifier/repeater stations, which reduces that point of failure, too.

Peter Cochrane, cto of british telecom in the 80s, estimated that once the network was fully converted to fiber, they would need less than 1/9th as many line maintenence crews.

*crunch*
Look down at the 50M fibre run you just crushed under your foot. Why do do we need fibre right now when Cat 6a can carry 10Gb?

We've had many opportunities. Private and public (government) have both turned their noses up to the idea. So fuck it.

Attached: 1 58uZVuKlz4bhBJF1BL9qdA.jpg (2000x1499, 260K)

Sounds impressive until you realise that's an average month's salary in Poland.

I might be interested for EMI/static resistance reasons. I worked at an office that kept having NIC failures, probably as a result of static getting into the cat5 cabling; I would have liked to put optical cables between the servers and the rest of the network, for the simple reason of it not carrying static.

Cucked ISP, I know people who have maxed their connection 24/7 seeding public torrents for years.

>The average income after tax in Warsaw is around 4000 PLN, or approximately 1050$ per month

My ISP ran a fiber line to my apartment in like 2007, with 100/100, and changed the switch a couple of years ago to enable 1000/1000. It was a 2 min job, no need to run any other cables.

>900/100
What a fucking scam.

Stop wallowing in self-pity and find the UK in that chart for me

>His country doesn't have fiber funded by EU

Lmao.

Not entirely representative. For a long time virgin's preferred design was to run fibre to the end of the driveway and put a coax cable from there to the premises. There's probably several million properties at least that are wired up this way.

This isn't fiber to the premises and doesn't show up on that chart, but we're talking

I'm complaining right now
BTFO

Even Australia has fiber. What shit country are you living in?

I have 10gbit direct fiber to my NAS
fiber on SFP+ is cheaper than DAC for any meaningful length

this is why fiber is amazing
once you run the fiber you just need to upgrade the boxes at the ends, unless some drastic change in signaling comes along

this gay stats right?

wtf I've had fiber for like 10 years. Imagine if americlaps would spend their time on normal shit instead of instigating a race war with Mexicans and fucking with Korea all the time.

Attached: 1544052778646.jpg (960x953, 127K)

When it becomes possible to splice without an expensive tool.

Muttland?

Do you imagine he could lower upload when having 900 Mbps down? It's not mix-and-match. There are a few tiers that you choose from. And who the fuck doesn't have 100 up nowadays regardless?

Jealousy increases.

Why would I need it?
I download gigs of movies in seconds, there is a fiber in my appartment, Ivjust honestly don't see why I would.

why would you connect something with fiber where it won't have any discernable benefit? for cool points? do it then be the fiber man you've always wanted to be

Attached: ba952495861e487a91e68a8cf6e466babbcc0b1f1b27f1722fce74692b4e6d57.jpg (960x960, 76K)

fat fuck

Der Digitalrat macht das schon
weiter so!

Tut nur ein klein biaschen weh

I use fiber since 2016.
The only copper cable in my network is a 50cm piece from my router to PC.

>tfw PPPoE

Attached: 1549004520105.png (1325x733, 1.35M)

im still on phone wire ADSL 10 Mbps, absolute maximum speed around here is ~20 Mbps, connection drops quite often, about once per hour or so, i pay for it 6 hours worth of median work

2.5mb/s down
0.5mb/s up
second best option for my city, best for the street I live on. germany is totally not a third-world-shithole, I swear!

for every person that maxes out his upload 24/7 there are literally thousands who barely use 10% of it.

Yeah do that in my country (also EU) and the ISP would get sued. I torrent at max speed all day on my 600Mbps connection (torrenting is legal here) and never been throttled.

This, how the fuck is that legal? The ISP would be sued to hell and back before they can say throttled.