I don't get it... why do people hate systemd so much?

I don't get it... why do people hate systemd so much?

Attached: Systemd-on-fedora.png (421x888, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

we want init system not operating system

>WONTFIX
>This issue was closed permanently

It's been a wild ride, with a lot of people complaining and not doing shit. People *think* they want just an init system, without realising just how basic that actually is. We can hate it as much as we like, but it sure isn't going anywhere, all other init systems are memes at this point.

Systemdeez nuts

It's bloated. I quite like it though.

Because people nowadays like to be outraged and offended, and the overwhelmingly white male Linux user base has no real problems in their lives so they're outraged at any change and offended by any minor inconvenience of being forced to learn new things.

Attached: systemd.png (906x468, 101K)

Attached: systemd-legos.png (1290x420, 74K)

Attached: systemd-history.png (1284x553, 78K)

"Open Source community is full of assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets. I get hate mail for hacking on Open Source. People have started multiple 'petitions' on petition web sites, asking me to stop working (google for it). Recently, people started collecting Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!). Just the other day, some idiot posted a 'song' on YouTube, a creepy work, filled with expletives about me and suggestions of violence. People post websites about boycotting my projects, containing pretty personal attacks."

Attached: lennartpoettering.jpg (620x411, 36K)

>Well, it is definitely our intention to gently push the distributions in the same direction so that they stop supporting deviating solutions
>it is definitely our intention to push distributions so they stop supporting deviating solutions
>stop supporting deviating solutions
-- Lennart Poettering, creator of systemd

Attached: 1540689412451.png (844x717, 34K)

itt people posting copypasta screenshots that sound vaguely smart in their ears because they don't unterstand shit. Embarassing.

"I'd actually put some blame on a certain circle of folks that play a major role in kernel development, and first and foremost Linus Torvalds himself. By many he is a considered a role model, but he is quite a bad one. If he posts words like "[specific folks] ...should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?" (google for it), then that's certainly bad. But what I find particularly appalling is the fact that he regularly defends this, and advertises this as an efficient way to run a community. (But it is not just Linus, it's a certain group of people around him who use the exact same style, some of which semi-publicly even phantasize about the best ways to, ... well, kill me)."

Attached: 220px--LCA_TV-_Lennart_Poettering.webm.jpg (220x165, 9K)

"If Linux had success, then that certainly happened despite, not because of this [Torvald's] behavior. I am pretty sure the damage being done by this is quite obvious, it not only sours the tone in the Linux community, it is also teaches new contributors to adopt the same style, but that's only if it doesn't scare them away in the first place. In other words: A fish rots from the head down."

Attached: Lennart_poettering_foss.in_2007.jpg (3456x2304, 2.69M)

"Why is ANYTHING hated on Jow Forums? Because it's popular and it works - which is, by your average Jow Forums user, considered a crime roughly equivalent to
finding a wild pack of niggers raping your mom on the kitchen floor when she's meant to be making your tendies. It's met with the same response,
too: impotent, autistic tantrum-throwing."

So do you have anything to actually contribute, or just random ad hominem?
I see 0 attempts by anyone in this thread to provide OP with anything supporting systemd other than memes and meaningless emotion-based quotes from Poettering.

Daily reminder Linus approves of systemd.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-01 Interviews Linus Torvalds Answers Your Question - Slashdot.png (1523x296, 20K)

More like he just doesn't care either way

> I don't really get the hatred of systemd
> I much prefer systemd's infrastructure for starting services over traditional init
Sound pretty positive for me.

The problem isn't systemd's init part. As an init it actually works fairly well and is certainly easier to use than the alternatives.
The problem is that systemd expands into areas an init system has no place expanding into. What's worse these non-init parts clash with existing solutions software in these spaces and oftentimes you're stuck with whatever assumptions the devs made for you because there are no easy/well documented ways to actually do anything.
Honestly I don't understand why anyone uses anything with Red Hat's name slapped to it. I used to work for them as a contractor and it's just trash all the way down. I would honestly rather work with Windows professionally than to deal with that again.

The irony of this post is by far the most entertaining part of this thread.

Attached: th1NPWD4DH.jpg (474x434, 32K)

Nothing from my (user) perspective. I quite like it.

OSX is unix certified and it's using launchd.

>The problem is that systemd expands into areas an init system has no place expanding into.

such as?

>systemd expands into areas an init system has no place expanding into
Such as?

>existing solutions software in these spaces
Give examples.

>whatever assumptions the devs made for you
Like what?

> systemd expands into areas an init system has no place expanding into
systemd isn't an init system tho: freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
> systemd is a suite of basic building blocks for a Linux system.
It provides an init system:
> It provides a system and service manager that runs as PID 1 and starts the rest of the system.
But also much more:
> Other parts include a logging daemon, utilities to control basic system configuration like the hostname, date, locale, maintain a list of logged-in users and running containers and virtual machines, system accounts, runtime directories and settings, and daemons to manage simple network configuration, network time synchronization, log forwarding, and name resolution.