Anyone using a PPC based computer?

Which machine, and operating system are you using? How does it feel to use hardware free of NSA backdoors? I have Debian 8 Sid installed on my 15" PowerBook G4, and it works quite well. Pic related.

>Inb4 Satania

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-01 10-12-12.png (658x463, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/01/more-about-spectre-and-powerpc-or-why.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I used a dual 1.33GHz PowerMac G4 MDD as a main computer up until September last year. The 2GiB ram ceiling was what made me switch to an x86 botnet machine. I've been trying to get a G5 since then, but I can't for the life of me find a working one.
>How does it feel to use hardware free of NSA backdoors?
Felt really good, though I feel like I must remind you that PowerPC 74xx CPUs have out of order speculative execution, and thus are vulnerable to Spectre. Source:
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/01/more-about-spectre-and-powerpc-or-why.html
The only "modern" CPUs without out of order execution, and thus no Spectre or Meltdown are the UltraSPARC IV and UltraSPARC T1.

I have a dual 2.0 GHz Xserve G5 running FreeBSD. Took it out of service last year. She runs great with 7GB of RAM (one DIMM died)

Attached: 97E1B7B3-1A71-4576-A2E0-CE7E217230C9.jpg (4032x3024, 2.33M)

check university surplus stores for old G5's. I picked up 2 last year for around $40 each.

Nice, the xserve's must be rare. I've never seen one in the wild before.

Already did.
All I could find around my area were c2d shitboxes.

Manchild fruit toys go to

Attached: 1549007700490.png (400x1650, 367K)

I have a dual 2.3 with 16GiB ram.
Motherfucker is an absolute beast, I would use it as my main machine if the 1U PSU wasn't so damn loud and if it had PCIe slots. Seriously, who the fuck had the brilliant idea of fitting PCIe slots into the consumer machines but not in the servers? It'd be understandable if this was only true for the early models, but mine is literally the last ppc Xserve ever made, from 2005. What the fuck, Apple?

That sucks. I'd say check out ebay, but you'll likely pay more for shipping than the machine itself.

/thread

>macshit
>free of NSA backdoors
Pick one.

Attached: 1530872839130.png (657x134, 26K)

I was more referring to the lack of ME, but yeah sure.

You can’t buy them online. The guy I bought this from sold it to me for $70 way back in the day off of a CL ad, and he had 4 of the damn things, all fully working.

Back to Jow Forumseddit soiboi.

Attached: 1540894469437.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

are there even core utils for powerPC?

I had an up to date install of the GNU coreutils on Leopard up until I stopped using my MDD last year. So yes.
Even gcc6 ran without an issue, which meant I could compile and run just about anything for *nix.
Of course if you run GNU/Linux on a ppc machine it's going to have coreutils and support for all kinds of modern software.

I like how now that PowerPC is dead, it is accepted on Jow Forums.

It's obscure, and not x86. That's good enough for me.

Next thing you know, you'll start rallying against the fucking m68k.

Attached: mc650.jpg (1500x2000, 2.06M)

Of course.

Based. I have vivd memories of using these in elementary school. Lots of Oregon Trail was played.

>>>/furaffinity/

There are full current ports of most GNU/Linux and BSD applications.

this is not a shill thread

It isn't mine, but I have a few pics saved from here.

gb2gaia

Attached: g on classic mac.jpg (1000x750, 530K)

Attached: g on mac os 9.jpg (4592x3056, 2.91M)

The Sharp X68000 and the Amigas were so cool.

Back to Jow Forumseddit manchild.

Hey, don't forget the ST.

Is this as comfy as it looks?

The only thing more cringe than a mactoddler is a macboomer.

Attached: 1522737967437.jpg (400x815, 125K)

In the Debian repos, yes.

It was and it wasn't. The OS was as shit as Windows ME. It had completely lost the elegance and simplicity of System 6 and was barely holding together.

Not him, but I'm the one who took the picture.
Yes, it is.
However, I think Hiro must've fucked something up around last week, since I tried posting from Classilla a couple days ago and I just couldn't.
>The OS was as shit as Windows ME.
Hell no. the Classic Mac OS is indeed an absolutely cobbled together clusterfuck, but 9.2.2 is nowhere near the level of Windows ME. I'd say 8.6 is as stable as Windows 95, and 9.2.2 is around 98SE levels. Actually, now that I think about it, 9.0.1 might've been as bad or even worse than ME.

Everyone did though.

/thread

>manchild fruit toys
>TALOS Raptor II and Blackbird
>OpenPOWER server hardware
>pretty much every space probe launched in the last 20 years
>Amigas with accelerator chips and the X1000
What the hell is wrong with you?

Attached: damian-krzywonos-spaceride.jpg (1920x1186, 943K)

I fell for the Gentoo meme, borrowed from a friend, about to install firefox on it

Attached: screenshot.png (1024x768, 447K)

Based

>MUH FROOT TOYS
Fuck off back to Jow Forumsebbit manchild.

>about to install firefox on it
See you in six weeks.

The compilation times must've been heinous

Took an hour to install neofetch and dependencies

>macshit
Found your problem.

Okay, Ian. You know, once somebody here on Jow Forums told me that when posting a screenshot with their name censored the poster inevitably forget to censor one instance of the name. Maybe he was right.

2x22cores Power9, 384GB RAM, 40TB storage, various GPUs. It's a goddamned beast. I rent its power to people

sheeeiiiittt

Dr. Kaiser, is that you?

Jesus. Did you get that from IBM or was it a hand build?

There's been some Tyan POWER8 10-core 3 GHz rack mount servers selling for 300 EUR on ebay. You'll have to add disks and DDR3 RAM but its still not a bad machine for the price.

As for me I currently have a Talos II with dual 18 core POWER9 CPUs (144 threads) running Debian w/KDE. I also have a Blackbird preordered.

Fucking amazing.

Beautiful.
Can it emulate ps3?

Amazing. Can you run latest firefox on this?

Why do you keep replying to yourself street shitter?

Theoretically, but it'll probably choke on single core, 256mb RAM

Just use netsurf. It shouldn't take too long to compile, either.

As soon as I'm done compiling Firefox 52

>Satania
debil blyat

Anyone planning on a Blackboard build once those release?

*Blackbird motherboard

I attempted to install Debian on a Power Mac dual G5 and it was a painful process in which the fans wouldn't stop spinning up and the graphics output didn't work half the time due to it being a meme ADC output card.

I eventually gave up and just installed Leopard on it. It runs slow as shit on basic tasks and uses 200 watts at idle.

I was working on a G5 2.3DC and a 1.33 GHz iBook both with 10.4 for a while, they were pretty alright. Went back to my HP-UX and NT stuff though.

Attached: IMG_8149.jpg (4032x3024, 2.36M)

G5s always sucked. G4s are way more comfy.

Don't own one yet but plan on doing a RaptorCS Blackbird build.

Tiger has the best GUI I've ever seen. Nothing will ever top it.

Debian 8 for PPC64 is broken. I think Debian 10 might have better compatibility.

It’s a great system to use, I’d probably be posting from it if I had a better desk to stick it on.

G4s are slower than fucking shit, at least a good G5 will still get you somewhere.

Back to manchild.

muh redditors ree

t. ARMshit welfare nigger

see

seething