Microsoft Surface lineup

Whats the verdict Jow Forums?

Attached: Surface-device-family-SOURCE-Microsoft-web.jpg (2400x1800, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t7s4gVOO4ys
theverge.com/2018/10/3/17933644/microsoft-android-apps-windows-10-app-mirroring-report
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

unrepairable overpriced piece of shit unlike Apple they can't even market it right

>unlike Apple they can't even market it right
Every third student here has a surface pro here so they are doing something right

>Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

If want something expensive I just buy Apple.

My surface pro 3 broke down today, after three years of service.

What should I get as a replacement? I have a Thinkpad at home. As a student, what should I get for classes?

pen and paper

its 2019 fag

They are asthetically beautiful and powerful, although the only actual ones worth purchasing are the entry go and the surface pro 6. The rest are way too heavy.

What do you mean? Surface ads are pure iToddlers BTFO content

youtube.com/watch?v=t7s4gVOO4ys

>>unlike Apple they can't even market it right
>Every third student here has a surface pro here so they are doing something right
not if every first and second student has an Apple

Imagine watching these and thinking ''HAHA YES, just like Jow Forums, epic''
fag

I have a Surface Book 2. While I like it, it really is kinda heavy. Its double the weight of the SP6 with the keyboard attached and the tablet itself only lasts two hours with high brightness and drawboard PDF running.

I could have bought a proper gaming rig + a surface pro 6 with the money I spend on it, which lasts a good 8 hours which is enough for a proper working day and is much less of a hassle to carry.

its a good splitt of apple, microsoft and poorfags.

>
>its 2019 fag
yes, and if it was 2029: pen and paper!

Well, they can't go and say "ipads are for faggots" on commercials, this is the best they can do without offending anybody or breaking any law

Has microsoft stolen the tablet market from Apple? The only word in tablets was the iPad a few years ago, but now Surface is all I hear

Ipads are literally good for nothing but watching movies and browsing the web.

The surface pro has a good, backlit keyboard cover that is even somewhat tactile despite its form factor, USB and minidisplay ports and has finally ironed out all its performance and heat issues that plagued previous models.

It's a great product if you don't mind windows.

Yes, the SB2 is silly heavy, I don't believe it was designed to be a take everywhere laptop. Even the SL2 was too heavy and annoying for me. I pretty much just hate laptops in general.

the new ipads are being bought by a lot of illustrators. The stylus is supposed to be more responsive or something

The pen is less wide and much more comfortable.
Though illustrators are kind of niche, the SP has a much bigger market appeal for work use

Apple is kinda trying to make the ipad less worthless with multi tasking, but their keyboard is just awful compared to the surface typecover and the OS just doesn't function well for productivity

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: azu_osaka0069.jpg (722x482, 44K)

>pro
shit specs and shit keyboard, it's [spoiler]shit[/spoiler]
>book
good but overpriced for what it is
>studio
has microsoft sold a single unit?
>laptop
nothing to write home about

Attached: Screenshot_20190301_163732.png (1143x741, 162K)

surface go?

>surface book

good idea on paper, both a tablet and a real laptop you can put on your lap

on execution, tablet mode sucks, the tablet has a tiny 3 hour battery to keep the weight down, but it's still to big and heavy to carry around and without a kickstand, you will use it on laptop mode 95%, and for being a laptop it's pretty mediocre with it's price/performance and weight/perfomance, there are several 15" laptops lighter and faster than this

>surface laptop

good looking, but absolutely 0 repairability, overall ok, but doesn't excel in any area, there are several other, faster, lighter, more durable,with more features laptop for less price than it

>surface pro

the one that makes the most sense, ligthweight and portable while having good performance and input devices

lack of usb C and repair ability hurts it for long term users

surface pen isn't that accurate for stuff other than notetaking

decent for the most part but overpriced

Build and material quality looks good but it will never catch on.

That's why it's bad.

I really like the look of the Surface Laptop / Surface Laptop 2

Attached: s1.jpg (820x430, 25K)

I have a client which distributes them to staff so I see them around a lot and they're way better looking in person than photos can show. Something about the shape and thickness of the screen, and the Alabcanahtamabatara doesn't look too bad either

Attached: s2.jpg (992x558, 53K)

YEEEEHAWWWW

Unfortunately the linux support is very poor, the port selection on the device is bizarre at best, and as other posters have mentioned, no repairability and overpriced

Attached: dsc00854-1.jpg (1600x1067, 395K)

And the Go?

In what situations would the go be a good choice? Surface Pro fits in a bag easily, has a bigger screen, and is much more powerful.

According to reviews the go runs kinda bad even for office programs.

>The stylus is supposed to be more responsive or something
Both have roughly the same stats after the 2017 update to the surface pen. I think the current iPad argument is that the screens have a higher refresh rate.

I‘ve used both and the ipad stylus feels like a pencil, the surface pen is so wide, it feels like a crayon.

I‘d much rather use the ipad one, but I use my surface as a labtop replacement which the ipad simply can‘t fill.

Apple just needs to put macOS on an Ipad, add a kickstand, voila, they can compete again. But they won‘t

I like it.
My father has been using the Surface pro since version 2.
And it really nice!
And i think they do something right since the surface line only is at 20% of Mac sales.

>no surface phone
They had one job and one Jobs only

Get pen and paper and an iPad Pro 12" with a good case and apple pen.

If they stopped using glue so they were user serviceable (removing hdd should be easy) and if they added usb-c thunderbolt they would be great.

That said I have one and it’s been great for onenote, saving notes between multiple PC’s, drawing diagrams and math.

They probably will do this and base it off android, just a customized version (like other vendors do) that connects users to a microsoft style launcher and app store

They tried.

>posting from a Nokia Lumia

theverge.com/2018/10/3/17933644/microsoft-android-apps-windows-10-app-mirroring-report

I'm still using my SP3. Best device I bought in a really long time. Not sure if I will buy another surface, keep hearing the newer models come kinda iffy.

Surface tablet:
Mostly meme. Only makes sense for artists that actually draw. My friend have had them, during the "tablets are the future" meme period, but later ditched them.

Surface book: alright, but still overpriced and lacking professional features. Plus weird unreliable hinge.

Surface all in one:
What a disappointment. They should have made this just a screen because the built in pc sucks ass. Could have been a great screen for artists.

Surface Pro 6/2017 is the first good product which isn‘t too underpowered ( SP 1-2 ), bad pencil/touchscreen ( 1-3 ) or screen and heating issues (4).
The Surface Go is also good.
Surface Book 2 is too expensive for it‘s outdated hardware, the 15 inch doesn‘t stay charged with heavy GPU use. The hinge seems to work better than the first SB. Not a bad device, but needs to be cheaper.
The Surface Studio seems incredibely niche and at that price you should buy hardware for professional digital art.

The Surface Pro 4 had incredibely widespread heating issues which send fans into overdrive and could cause the screen to flicker.

As far as I know the newest surface models don‘t have such fundamental issues.

My SP4 is holding up but it does get very warm.

I’m trying to hold onto it until usb-c thunderbolt comes to the surface pro, and maybe (doubt) an easy way to replace the hard drive or open the chassis.

I just got a replacement unit from microsoft for the SP4 due to the extended warranty concerning the screenflicker. I‘ll try to sell this for an extra check.

A Surface Pro with a TB3 port would be incredible.

My main issue is I’d like more storage to run VMs from so tb3 would be nice since I cant expand internal storage and a microusb had bad performance and running a vm off it will kill it fast.

But maybe my approach is all wrong and I should just run VMs off of my desktop and just remotely connect from my surface as needed.

I said they tried, not that they succeeded.

How do they make screen float like that?

itoddler tears

i wish the pro laptop had better specs and bigger screen instead of the tablet gimmick

but then again if they try to pack proper machine into this thin body the cooling will be as bad as on macbooks and you won't be able to do serious work on it anyways

Be honest, you wouldn’t buy a Surface for Linux support. If anything you would buy it for the Windows support.

the tablet and big drawing screen thing seem decent everything else is trash though

the tablet gimmick is the only reason people buy hem though, it's not exactly a gimmick more like a niche they are great for drawing on

Jesus, the cringe...

Its not just a tablet meme, having a full Windows PC that weights less than a kilo in itself is attractive.
The only time I use it without the keyboard is when I'm in bed watching a movie

The thing is their drawing / ereader competitors like the sony tablet for e-ink and cintiqs etc all want to charge almost just as much as microsoft surface charges for a system that isn’t a full pc.

If cintiqs were $200 and still easily connected to pc’s as accessories then microsoft would lose a bit of surface revenue but no they want $699 ... at that point fuck it get a surface.

yeah I can see the appeal. I wanna get lelnovos x1 tablet for the same reason

Attached: lenovo-x1-tablet-hero.png?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MTI2NDI1fGltYWdlL3BuZ3xoMjAvaGI3Lzk2NDg3Mjc3ODU1MD (725x515, 123K)

Yeah i dont get why the cintiqs and stuff are so expesnive when theyre literally just screen with digitizers. They always use the same wacom digitizers as these windows tablets and 2 in 1s.

Only reason I can think of is the same reason why adobe charges so much, most serious users are writing these off as business expenses in their taxes or the users arent the purchasers, they are bought by big companies for employees and can afford it.

Been looking for a nice way to use my surface in a way that syncs up with my desktop so I can draw on my desktop near real time with my surface.

oh yeah that makes sense. They also have no competition, well i guess they sorta do since microsoft has pushed into the market I wonder how it has effected their sales
theres some software called virtualtablet idk how well it works though

While I believe the new surface products are pretty good (at least the Pro 3 was decent), I can personally say that the RT lineup was trash. My RT is basically a paperweight unless I want to use it to RDP into another machine.

Good idea, bad execution

True but tbqh anybody with sense knew that RT was trash upfront

SP 6 or XPS 13 2 in 1?

still using a 1st gen surface book
top comfy

Don't buy a Surface Book if you DJ. In fact don't buy a PC at all for DJing. This thing stutters all over the place even with Power Mode on maximum.

2010 MacBook handles Traktor with hardly any hiccups

Surface pro 6, it pretty good. What broke down on it?

They should've stuck with the big ass table computer design.

1/3 of students have a macbook
1/3 have some meme tier walmart shit or a gaymen laptop
1/3 have a surface device

t. work for a IT dept at a large university

A proper gaming rig + a surface pro 6 is the way to go man.

>pro
Just because it cant play games dosent mean its shit. Its a perfect secondary machine or basic productivity machine.
>book
Its a pretty good product, a $300 price cut would make it sell like hit cakes
>studio
One of the universities I work at has a lab filled with them. I also know a few artist who use them
>laptop
You're right on this one, its a bit underwhelming

Can't judge on the XPS13, but I really like the Surface Pros form factor and the magnetic cover/keyboard makes it just a tad bit more portable than a regular laptop.
It's genuinely a neat keyboard and surprisingly good to type on despite being so thin. Unless you actually put your laptop on your lap (which isn't that great with a kickstand instead of the weight sitting on an attached keyboard ) I found the portability of a SP so good I'd prefer it over any regular notebook/laptop

It depends on the use case

Awful gimmicky ideas - the computer.

>portability is a gimmick

I have a Studio 2, the massive touch screen is really nice and pen feels great and the hinge is probably the most insanely smooth hinge ever engineered. The problem though that Microsoft's is fucking cancer and their Windows Ink pen drivers are absolute dogshit that aren't compatible with anything so I spent hours trying to reinstall working wintab drivers and ended having to install non-FOSS Adobe CC cancer just to get a working driver for the pen. At the end of the day I give the hardware a 10/10 and the software -10/10.

Attached: DNC5.png (540x613, 153K)

maybe someone here can help me:

I have a usb-c dock for my surface book 2
I wonna try to only plug in one cable when I get to my desktop setup
I only have a 1080p monitor and 3 usbs attached to the dock so I don' think it's using all the bandwidth
so far so good
The usb-c dock has a power pass through to also charge the SB2
I connect the 90 watt charger to it and it charges my SB2
so far so good
now if I am putting load on the system, for example I'm playing a game, the monitor disconnects
This only happens when the battery is at 100%, for whatever reason the monitor doesn't disconnect WHILE charging, only when full

Is this just a limitation of the USB-C port, or maybe the dock?
I'm honestly considering a 60 watt charger just so I can trickle charge during medium long game sessions and don't run into this issue anymore

Attached: 1521576308575.jpg (307x301, 8K)

I have a Surface Pro 6, it's pretty great. I think only the bottom model (4C/8T CPU, 8GB RAM, 128GB storage) is even remotely worth the money though, the more expensive models cost way too mach for what they add. The screen is very nice and is probably the best looking IPS I've seen so far, even among monitors which cost as much as the whole tablet. 3:2 is a very nice aspect ratio both for tablet use and for a laptop of this size as the height really help. The keyboard feels pretty nice too, it's surprisingly tactile. It's not as good as a full size mechanical of course, but for a slim keyboard it's quite good and pleasant.

The major downside is that the thing is unrepairable, other than that there isn't much I can complain about.

Good displays, that's about it though

Is Surface Go legit?

Can you install linux on the surface pro? What won't work?

Wait... Is that a HiDPI 3:2 display on that big one?!

4500x3000 display!!!!! god-tier!!!!!

Nothing is stopping you from installing Linux, but yeah there's some shit that won't work. I haven't tried it on mine and don't remember exactly what does and doesn't work.

Costco has it + keyboard for $400.

Attached: gerre.png (2097x1267, 2.01M)

the 400$ model only has 64gb flash storage afaik

Yeah, I think the cheapest Go only has eMMC, not a proper SSD like the more expensive Go and the Pro.

It's probably already slow enough with the neutered processor so the 550$ model seems like the real entry model. Add to that the 130$ typecover you are back at 700$.
You don't really need the expensive surface pen though, there are good alternatives for 40$.

Whats the verdict on the lenovo miix series ?

>Microsoft can't even do 5120x2880
>Apple did it 5 years ago
OH NONONONONONO
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Attached: 1538812139390.jpg (5120x2880, 1.99M)

it's the 128gb SSD but only 4GB of ram..

4500x3000 > 5120x2880 desu

>Apple dropped 16:10 for 16:9
That is not something to be proud of.

Attached: the tallest.jpg (2040x1360, 598K)

>25% failure rate

t. someone who fell for the Surface Book meme ~3 years ago

Attached: lol.jpg (155x202, 7K)