SSDs are a meme

Where were you when SSDs started lasting only 200 write cycles?

anandtech.com/show/14039/micron-announces-1300-client-sata-ssd-with-96l-tlc

Why do shills keep on insisting these garbage bag of chips last longer than platters?

Attached: 1300-SATA-ssds-isometric-left-800x533_678x452[1].png (678x452, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Hard_disk_drives
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-RW
youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't think anyone said they would last longer, they're just faster.
Just use a small ssd for your os.

>I don't think anyone said

You must be new here. Lots of shills were saying they'd last longer than your computer ever will. Some were saying they'd last "hundreds of years". I guess that's true in cases where you only use a few megabytes out of TB-sized drive.

And why would you believe someone lying that blatantly or is just not mentioning "if you want it to last literally don't use it".
Just like those jews advertising their devices with "90 years of use on a single charge" when in reality it runs out in an hour or so of actual use.

And anyone with half a brain knew that SSD's were just straight up faster and always will be compared to disk drives.

SSD lifespan has always been a concern when compared to the lasting/reliability of Disk drives.

It's not just writes:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Hard_disk_drives
>SSD:
>If left without power, worn out SSDs typically start to lose data after about one to two years in storage, depending on temperature. New drives are supposed to retain data for about ten years.[5] MLC and TLC based devices tend to lose data earlier than SLC-based devices. SSDs are not suited for archival use.
>HDD:
>If kept in a dry environment at low temperature, HDDs can retain their data for a very long period of time even without power.

Any large organization isn't going to have to worry about this shit. Maybe for a cold site?

isn't the standard still Magnetic tapes for Long-lasting reliable data storage?

Only 200 writes? That's worse than a CD-RW
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-RW

Imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a drive that has a shorter life span than a CD.

Attached: hahaha.png (449x401, 490K)

How many lusers are going to end up buying these drives and wondering why they stop working after 6 months?

Man those were the shit. Except Discmen with their shittier lasers had a hard time reading them. You'd need like a fancy Discman or they'd skip or just fail to read all the time.

I still use them because my 2008 honda civic has a factory cd-mp3 player

> Lots of shills were saying they'd last longer than your computer ever will.
Because the good SSDs in desktop use for average consumer will, you imbecile.

76;wzzzzzzzsv7coo\][

oh you know, the average consumer who doesn't use their computer and buys a new one every few years regardless

That's 5 year warranty and promised 400 TBW? That seems pretty reasonable, most cheap SSDs are rated the same.

Attached: 1551373823709.jpg (1400x1095, 915K)

What fucking world do you live in? Most people who own desktops do not upgrade them every year. Take your meds you fucking wacko.

>HDD-only tards still not using a SSD for their OS drive and HDDs for storage

Brains slower than their OS drives

Attached: tueg2e2.jpg (506x556, 24K)

I use a cheap (€130) 1TB SATA SSD for local storage (256GB NVMe SSD for OS, rest of storage on file-server) and judging by the last 6 months of usage, the 1TB SSD is going to last me 35 years 24/7, if I continue to use it with the same workloads I have the past 6 months. Obviously they will be far replaced before it even gets to that.
Even if that number was 3.5 years, it would still be worth it.

Attached: 1551326587521.jpg (720x960, 120K)

You people still exist? I've got a budget drive sitting in my system that's lasted over 7 years now. Still beats the hell of a hard drive.

Where were you when HDDs cost $3.4k for 9.76MB? LMAO!

Attached: 16ac583ae876e1058d880880e30fb9ef.jpg (582x830, 103K)

>Where were you when SSDs started lasting only 200 write cycles?
LMFAO my OCZ agilty 3 has lasted 8 years as a system drive with my main operating system on it. Every day for 8 years at least 18 hours a day

Yeah, you're not going to get a SSD like that any longer. Every year the life span of these drives get shorter and shorter and by next year you're going to be defending renting your space in the cloud

"But stupid user, it's only $200 a year and I only need to buy enough storage for my most important files," as you swap out your OS driver every few months from the constant disk swapping and metadata files being written to it 24/7

so you were living in the past is what you're saying?

Citation needed.

>untapped market
>in a capitalist world
ur cute

Attached: 1551371908400.jpg (570x710, 144K)

Please, if (((you))) are going to use an ssd remember (((you))) get what (((you))) pay for

Youre a meme you dip

Attached: 1551148420682.jpg (320x242, 9K)

So should I worry about using one during school and constantly writing beginner programs?

Some people download that much data in a few months.

My jewdar has just gone off the scale

Yeah, it's called using your brain. Obviously this is not a good option when you know your use case.

I've had the same SSD for 8 years. Why does it still work?

Do you have to use a SSD for your download drive?
Guess get a enterprise SSD you you so badly need one and have the money

SSDs usually last way longer than the warranty TBW. The TBW is a warranty, if they break before writing that amount, they are covered by warranty.

dub dubs

Yeah, that's not how warranties work.

It is. If it's 400 TBW and 5 years, whichever comes first.

>enterprise SSDs writing huge amounts of data every day are commonplace
>Jow Forums - consumer electronics luddites still cling to HDDs

I'm going to miss the good old days where I could download to my system drive if I was feeling lazy and just move it over to my archival drives as my leisure.

After this, if I download a torrent to the wrong drive, it will kill 10% of the life of my system drive.

I still do that sometimes out of laziness, SSDs so cheap, I can't give up the comfort

> it seems the low endurance ratings are simply due to a lack of market pressure, highlighting one of the ways that the OEM market differs from the consumer retail SSD market.

>500 GB C:\ drive
>WD Reds for data
>any further backup solution of your choice

The thinking man's setup

Attached: 1boss.jpg (900x900, 68K)

>C:\ drive
More like drooling retard's setup.

Attached: 1452471092796.png (1280x720, 372K)

>using linsux

Attached: 1545264747917.png (720x405, 93K)

too soon
way too soon

fuck niggers

Um, do the mods know you're posting this???

Hopefully the prices for SATA III drives sink lower throughout this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4

I don't understand what the problem is. Just rent some space in the cloud

i have a shintel SSD from 2011 ( when 40gb were like 100 euro) and still works. am i lucky?

amazing

Same as 120GB Intel that's about 8 years old, 240GB OCZ agility 3 that's 7 years old all fine. 120GB Corsair thats about 8 years old too.. all outlived most of my spindle drives

Uh oh

>180 TBW
>Bad
Are you retarded?

no are you retarded?
older ssds were better longevity wise

>believing anything said by anyone on this shit site ever
Found your problem.
Also using anything but Samsung SSDs for a system you give a shit about and you only got yourself to blame.

t. Samshill

t. poorfag buying QLC drives and wondering why they shit the bed after 5 minutes
Buy samsung or enterprise PCIe SSDs or off yourself.

>implying the biggest proponent of QLC isn't Samshill itself

>buying QLC in the first place no matter who made or sold it
Found your problem. If you buy "consumer grade" hardware don't be shocked when it shits the bed a week after warranty is up or 5 minutes into using it.

Archival drives? What do you mean?

Not a type of drive just a use case. I use 8TB Reds as "archival" basically drives where I dump my shit that doesn't need low access times.

>what are you sticking with HDDs for, SSDs are so cheap now!
>well of course you can't expect to buy cheap SSDs and have them work reliably, you need to get the expensive ones!

what is the recommended (or even optimal) power up interval, for archival purposes?

Attached: faf-2-1[1].jpg (800x480, 64K)

>This drive didn't fuck me as bad as my last ssd, are you retarded?

Attached: Brian+Tillman+hot+black+men[1].jpg (266x400, 25K)

Where did I say that faggot?
Anyone with half a brain uses proper SSDs as main drive(s) and HDDs for storage.
So fuck off you're getting straw all over the place.

Don't use SSDs for important data.

You don't even have to get expensive SSDs to get reliable ones, just don't get bottom of the barrel like with everything you buy

based merchant

my samsung evo drives from years ago, still going strong. i use puter erryday and game and download.
no problems here!

What do you mean older ssds are better?

That doesn’t make sense isn’t newer better?

Low access times? I’m so confused

as MLCs get larger, they get slower and die quicker.

that sucks

I thought ssdds where better? They don’t break when you drop them. Doesn’t cern use them?

SSDs have low access times. HDDs have high access times but last longer.

Basically: If you game, do video editing, run a database etc use a SSD for it.
If you have a ton of family photos or something similar put it on a HDD.

>"better"
Nice relative term you used there. Faster, more durable doesn't mean longer life span.

They can absorb more impact "damage". But physically break the flash chips and you're fucked.
Disconnect it from power for 2 years and your data is fucked so you are also fucked. Write too much data on it or just have plain simple stupid bad luck your SSD dies without any warnings whatsoever and you're fucked.

Technically, the data transfer rate of a human brain through the verbal interface is really slow. Transfering data via the hand-keyboard interface is even slower.

Attached: 1549005043691.jpg (2659x1878, 839K)

>Transfering data via the hand-keyboard interface is even slower.
You wot? I can type probably 3 times faster than I can talk.

ah, so you type 2wpm?

Rappers disagree.

>niggers
Yeah, now ask them to speak proper English

>Using an SSD that isn't a Samsung or Intel
I'll admit I played risky biscuits with a Vertex 3 way back in the day, but really if you buy a cheapshit SSD and get chink'd then you deserve it.

>he doesnt have enterprise class SSDs
>his SSDs dont draw 25watts each and dont overheat to the point of dropping off the PCIe bus unless a fan is blowing directly on them even when idle
pure pleb

>>If left without power, worn out SSDs typically start to lose data after about one to two years in storage, depending on temperature
less than that, my Seagate 600 Pros are rated for 3 months without power and they're enterprise class. consumer class SSDs dont even publish these ratings

Attached: IMG_20190217_2158551.jpg (1279x853, 148K)

How about you consider that typing requires you think out sentences, type them, spell check them, send them, then wait for the other person to read them. Talking is faster than that.

>consumer class SSDs dont even publish these ratings
Here's an old one from Crucial I think - worse case is a whole week.

Attached: ssd_data_integrity_by_temperature.png (810x353, 78K)

I can't wait for the SSD problems to be fixed.

What?
Price per TB?
Low TBW?
Long term data storage / retention?
Don't wait for that. Chances are SSDs won't be able to compete with HDDs in those regards for a very very long time if ever.

(you)

Attached: Waiting-Skeleton.jpg (298x403, 32K)

Mostly the limited writes problem. They'll eventually find a way to fix the layer that wears out in SSDs. Such as by making it semi organic and self healing.

The average speed for conversational speech is 120 wpm (200 at the high end). So you either type at a rate of 360-600 wpm or you sniff glue.

How much longer would you need an SSD to last?
The have enough write endurance for most practical purposes

Honestly would have guessed it to be lower for the average person. But I was only off by one. My WPM is around 220.

I wouldn't wait on that. Especially not when consumers buy QLC shit. We will see it some day in enterprise drives but god knows when that will be. Also the price will be quite hefty and who knows when that comes to the consumer market if ever.

Samsung is cheap and its about 600TBW.
Its doubled if the storage capacity is double.
For something like this it is only reasonable if you choose 512GB or less

>Some were saying they'd last "hundreds of years"

You fucking retard, they said the information stored in them would last hundreds of years, not the fucking drive itself.

Save a picture in a ssd, remove it from your computer. One hundred years later that picture will still exist if you hook the drive back up.

Fucking dumbshit.

just like organic LEDs heal by themselves?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

And you can find old 480GB Seagate 600 Pros which are 2.4PBW and 10^15 URE. There is no reason to buy consumer class SSDs