Is cloud a meme? I have a very good teacher, he is a sucessful man working at a bank...

Is cloud a meme? I have a very good teacher, he is a sucessful man working at a bank, and he is trying his best to teach about cloud on his classes.
He hypes it as fuck, and i genuinely am starting to like about cloud computing, is the area good? How hard is it to get a job where i can work from home?

Attached: aws_logo_smile_1200x630.png (1200x630, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackexchange.com/performance
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Is cloud a meme?
yes
>is the area good?
In term of offerings yes.
>How hard is it to get a job where i can work from home?
As hard as getting a programmer job where you can work from home.

>>Is cloud a meme?
>yes
Could you... elaborate?

>Is cloud a meme?
No, cloud abstracts away from physical infrastructure to help companies focus on their actual product. Companies use Cloud because it's cheaper to use infra owned by Cloud providers than own their own infra.
>I have a very good teacher, he is a sucessful man working at a bank, and he is trying his best to teach about cloud on his classes.
>He hypes it as fuck, and i genuinely am starting to like about cloud computing, is the area good? How hard is it to get a job where i can work from home?
There is no relation between working on Cloud and working from home. Why do you want to work from home?

cloud is a buzzword just like neural networks. It's somehow useful but not the future. Cloud and * as a service is a trznd and it will eventually die. Virtualization, kubernetes, docker, fucking VMs for each service, VMs for each port, it's a meme. Ressource wise, it's atrocious. Regarding cloud just think of it for a second, you're paying a monthly fee to rent a virtual pc running all your shit, as a business owner do you think that's a good idea? Wouldn't it be better to buy a 100$ powerEdge off craigslist and call it a day? You're just giving more power to Mr Bezos (aka Lucifer) and you are contributing to the destruction of society by supporting clouf computing like aws, azure and all that shit. Subscriptions and monthly fees are bad, host your shit yourself. I'm sure you love paying your spotify, amazon prime, neflix, house rent/loan and audible subscription, you fucking seething INSECT

Guess i was wrong to ask on fucking Jow Forums if i wanted unbiased and serious answers.

You shouldn't have asked, you should have just waited until two people here were arguing about it.

Please educate me on how I can use a poweredge machine in my office to deliver a multi-AZ, fail-over load balanced environment that will never go down.

install gentoo
A single server is enough to provide 24/7 uptime, these servers feature fail-over ac adapters and as for the load balance you'll need a separate cisco switch or simething. I'm really not a sysadmin expert but anything that can be done on aws can be done self hosted. A cloud is nothing more than server racks. Vmware sphere and ESXi can give you a similar environment too.

I think I gave a serious answer in

And if my internet goes down? Power? ISP? You do understand the benefits of multi-az and multi-region, yes?

Wait what the fuck i swear i didnt see your reply, thanks for the serious answer.
>Why do you want to work from home?
I am not very good at social skills, i'd work from home if possible, and well... working from home is just way comfier.
But what i really wanted to know is, is cloud computing a trend like the other user said or is it something which is safe to bet my carreer on?

> You do understand the benefits of multi-az and multi-region, yes?
Yes I also perfectly understand the benefits and convenience of amazon and cloud services. I also understand that when you run a business convenience and pricings are above all and consumer ethics comes after. I just think that o the long run hosting everything yourself is better.

Except you have yet to provide any counter to the actual reasons people use IaaS providers. When you have something more to host than your blog, you will understand. We didn't even get into auto-scaling either.

>long run hosting everything yourself is better.
And more expensive.

>Wait what the fuck i swear i didnt see your reply, thanks for the serious answer.
No problem.
>I am not very good at social skills, i'd work from home if possible, and well... working from home is just way comfier.
Most people you work with will be nerds, so don't worry too much about that. Also there is an upside, occasionally you will have a a good vibe with a hot chick you work with. I went on a few dates with a girl who does our internal tech support.
>But what i really wanted to know is, is cloud computing a trend like the other user said or is it something which is safe to bet my carreer on?
You are not really betting your career on cloud. Cloud is just one tool in your belt. But as a tool it's worth betting on. If you are applying for a job and you are proficient in AWS, GCE etc. this is going to be an advantage for the next 5-10 years at least.

>You are not really betting your career on cloud. Cloud is just one tool in your belt. But as a tool it's worth betting on. If you are applying for a job and you are proficient in AWS, GCE etc. this is going to be an advantage for the next 5-10 years at least.
Thanks thats what i really wanted to know.
>Most people you work with will be nerds, so don't worry too much about that. Also there is an upside, occasionally you will have a a good vibe with a hot chick you work with. I went on a few dates with a girl who does our internal tech support.
Yeah i know they are nerds but the nerds on my class are way more fucking social than me, the problem is that i have no social skills and i acostumed myself to my bunker so i dont really work on society anymore, i really struggle with smalltalk.

The jobs are extremely rare but it is possible to find ones that allow you to work from home. They generally require a senior level of skill though because nobody wants to babysit someone working from home.
t. Work at home software dev and system admin.

I get that, but I would recommend trying to be social anyway. We all have our own issues but if you can find a way to socialize where you feel safe then this is better than hanging out on your own.

It was now it isn't. Kinda like people started liking MLP unironically and then bunch of spergs who weren't in on a joke started cult around the cartoon.

I always get that from everyone, people think i am suffering because i spend all my free time alone but i really dont feel that bad about it.

I guess we are different kind of people, or you are repressing your desire to belong. Probably a bit of both.

All you are doing is shifting the load. You can either do it yourself and buy/lease the space and pay the people to run it or pay someone else to deal with the bullshit. Simple as. Most cloud services are dirt cheap for startups and new businesses who don't have the financial backing just yet to go their own way.

A personal cloud would be great, but the current internet infrastructure and protocols are completely unsafe to operate in such a fashion.

That's why it's a meme.

Attached: cloud.jpg (652x844, 45K)

This. It's just remote work and getting the results via an Internet connection. Cloud storage isn't some magical new kind of data storage either. It's literally just putting data on somebody else's hard drive instead of your own.
It makes sense, sure, but nothing about the idea is revolutionary.

the place I work at is replacing there servers after 5 years and all the shit is going out of life in a few months. We have to rebuy new licenses for OSes and DBs etc, the cost seems almost as bad as cloud services only we can't scale up or down once we've bought.

Not even just storage, but renting processing cycles, and GPU cores, and what ever other workloads you want to send over. It's not a magic bullet, it's just a business plan to buy the expensive hardware and and act as a middle man with a remote access point at other companies who then distribute the costs out to several other companies who may not need a 24/7 cycle of a cray super computer to crunch the math on a bunch of scientific data for a month, then go back to collecting that data for another 11.

If cloud is just using someone else equipament why are rich as fuck companies switching to cloud? It simply makes no sense, there is something else to it i bet.

>IaaS
Not a meme, but not revolutionary either. Basically just a rephrasing of service models that already existed before the buzzword went popular.
>PaaS
Was a total meme made for vendor lock-in until Docker and Kubernetes became sort of a standard across vendors. Now it's a handy model for companies less focused on their own infrastructure.
>SaaS
Like buying software, but you pay monthly. Pure meme except for startups.

Among other terms
>Object storage
Very convenient abstraction of an entire SAN with backups in a proper data center. Very appreciated for its low costs.
>DBaaS
Oracle meme to farm more data.
>VPC
What really can make a cloud topology compete with a data center, a full private network with DMZ, dedicated firewalls and gateways all off premise.

cost to benefit ratio.

Pay some guys 10,000 a month, or spend 100,000 in getting new employees, new equipment, new office space.

No, cloud isn't a meme. A separate company is taking on the risk and responsibility of extremely expensive things like hardware reliability and security. It's great for businesses in a tech driven world, you get to focus on your business and leave operations up to a few engineers as opposed to an entire department of hundreds of people hosting your own services.

Think of it this way, if your taxes are extremely complicated is a CPA or tax preparer a meme? Especially if they're going to take on the legal responsibility of resolving any potential problems with the IRS? No, I don't think so, which is why all rich people have a good tax guy/team

cloud is a buzzword meme shit

But AWS, azure, etc.. is not.
Deploying datacenter with just bash or powershell is a godsend

Cloud is a term used for promotion and selling. It's just huge server farms. Yes, it's the future.

I was talking with my teacher about it, i wonder if it will come a day where instead of buying a better processor we'll simply increase how much power our computer receives.

Cloud isn’t actually cheaper than your own infra it’s just easier to scale up or down

What is it with the boon in pajeets posting here? I've seen like 3 or 4 a day now.

It is if you arent a retard.

In the grand scheme of things, that equates to "cheaper"

botnet

>Is cloud a meme
The "cloud" refers to the internet. Is the internet a meme? If you're talking about the word itself, as opposed to what it refers to, then yes, it's a huge meme made up by brain-dead businessmen.

Attached: Patrick Bateman, Businessman, Business, Classy, Psycho.jpg (378x314, 20K)

If you have a very predictable workload, on prem is better. Cloud isn’t black-and-white cheaper

I mean about things like AWS user, but you could infer that from the pic i posted, no?

>4 .net core applications on their own load automatic load balanced elastic beanstalk instances intercommunicating
>sub 30ms total latency from beginning to end for entire workflow
>services ~200,000 customers every day
>utilises redis for fast caching
>analytics with elasticsearch
>xamarin for iOS and Android, and asp .net web frontends
if they had asked me to do this on-premise i would have laughed.

Attached: tfw.png (558x537, 37K)

Attached: cloud_fact_4513.png (325x262, 20K)

test

God i am so fucked
>have to learn wireshark and read a 400 pages book to learn about basic protocols i will see on wireshark
>but i also have to read some criptography related book because i lack some knowledge on the area which i will need for my test
>but then i am doing the AWS free course
>and also i have to learn shell script
JUST
FUCK ME

>Cloud is/isn't the future
Are you people from 2013? "Cloud" isn't the future, it's already here.

so many uneducated incels in this thread

It's rent seeking, pure and simple. It should be done away with and those who espouse it put to the sword.

Hahahah same...Iim being pulled in dozens of directions.

forgot to mention that i am also learning python, fuck, thank god at least python is easy since i have some c++ experience.

rent seeking is an economics term, it doesn't mean renting something, like a CPU hour, to someone.

>Installing redis, elasticsearch, and a load balancer on an on-premise server is somehow more difficult than doing it on aws

???????

are you retarded?

>achieve 30ms latency across the entire country with on premise hardware
you're the retard friendo

>All services and instances on a single server
Jow Forums approved high availability lads.

The greatest part of cloud is that you don't need to find competent IT people or government to keep your shit running.
If your company is based on texas or california etc.. you probably can fetch a bunch of asians and make your own server, but if you're trying shit on some third world hellhole where you can't count on the internet being up or electricity or finding people that won't spill sopa de macaco on your racks, then cloud makes a lot of sense.

>what is a cdn

>what is a hypervisor

>cloud is a meme
every major company in the world is moving away from on prem to cloud. there will be plenty of cloud jobs in the next 15 years.. for the next few, migrating shit old systems onto the cloud. then starting in 8 or 9 years, migrating to you own on prem servers again

companies dont want to pay for the actual space the servers sit. or the people to maintain them. you just have to pay a few people to create security around cloud computing and a few people help devs deploy to the cloud.. they not only cut out the cost of the buildings and servers, but entire 'middleware team' departments are replaced by a few guys that control access to the cloud

All you gotta know is TCP,UDP, and the hand shake and you will be fine bro

Also HTTP what fucking else will you run into on witeshark? Fucking telnet?

Probably, but i want to impress the teachers.
I dont know if its the same where you live, but i live in a small state, so networks jobs arent abundant here, aside from cloud since everyone wants to migrate, but all my teachers are very sucessful men who really love what they do and want to see it grow, so if i show promise maybe they will indicate me for some good job.
Sorry if my ESL is showing, i dont know what the word for "kind of work" is.

>>what is a hypervisor
>Catastrophic power failure on one server
>Downtime for at least a day.

stackexchange.com/performance
ä

Attached: 36153699095_eb5fea8f65_c.jpg (800x548, 137K)

>what is a cdn
>what is a ups

>In January 2019, we entered into an addendum to our commercial agreement with AWS, pursuant to which we committed to spend an aggregate of at least $300 million between January 2019 and December 2021 on AWS services.
It's nice if you can burn a shitload of VC money like lyft.

Containers aren't VMs.

you do understand that almost every single risk factor present for a properly maintained server is present for clouds right? Like you do understand that somewhere, there exists shit that is failure prone that is handling your business and is not infallible right? And that you're just pawning that responsibility onto a third party by using the cloud?

>what is a cdn
you can pay for a CDN or you can host an elastic beanstalk instance in each region... which is useful if there are region-specific settings for the web application
you autists just dream up a cute 1-word answer to make you feel like you have a high rep on stackoverflow. you're a monkey

I think everyone realizes that's true to some extent, even proponents of PaaS...

imagine a skyscraper full of overprised sleeping benches for wageslaves? this is cloud.

it is basic rent-seeking 101

>When you have something more to host than your blog, you will understand.
yeah discard the part of my post when I actually say clouds are convenient and sometimes needed to run a business

Yes, you have to extend trust boundaries to a cloud provider to secure your data and that's obviously not ideal
However cloud computing is simply too profitable for companies to ignore and will be around for a while simply because of that fact.

The cloud provider literally cant acess your data tough, otherwise why would government use cloud providers?

Maintaining servers is literally not rent-seeking, antiestablishmentarians should be FEMA camped.

lmao a UPS won't save you when a board kicks the bucket or an admin restarts the entire cluster like a retard.
Learn how HA works and how much it takes to achieve five 9s on premise before talking. Hint: at least two tier III data centers.