>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k - Good for gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>580 good for another 2 years longer if you're fine with turning down settings
>1070/1660Ti/Vega56 for solid 60fps at ultra, on average more. good for another 3 years before you have to turn down settings.
1440p
>Vega64/2060 the bare fucking minimum. Have to turn down settings/get used to sub-60 fps depending on the title. Last maybe another year or two before you have to really turn down fidelity.
>2070/2080 for solid 60 fps and then some. will last you for another 3-4 years. maybe less for the 70. Radeon 7 is disqualified because of it's noise. It's just as bad as the 290x or 295x2.
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080 as entry level - will have to adjust some settings to get solid 60 or live with sub-par fps.
>RTX 2080 Ti is better, but very expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: akrales_180824_2838_0138.jpg (1200x800, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CX-xPst-3FI
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/tMcYFt
youtube.com/watch?v=G3kGSbWFig4
youtube.com/watch?v=d3RVwLa3EmM
youtube.com/watch?v=qgvVXGWJSiE
pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-ryzen-threadripper-specs
youtube.com/watch?v=kqH3z2ygwxM
youtube.com/watch?v=H6_Dj-TedSU
amazon.com/dp/B071CD6K6Z/ref=psdc_284822_t2_B07MTNS89J
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131717&Description=rx570&cm_re=rx570-_-14-131-717-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150794
pcpartpicker.com/list/tsZ6zY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202321
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what if I install win 7 on a new ssd with my older pc parts inside the case, and then install win 10 by downloading it from the microsoft online store, and then I put my new win 10 compatible pc parts inside the case? will the new pc parts read win 10 right away or will it consider it another pc? dumb question but I want to know, thanks.

Also something to wonder about, isn't it easier to downclock an i9 9900k to, say, 3.6 ghz? It would be much cooler and I don't think performance would suffer at all for gaming or any other kind of use.

Attached: 71a3r0U3nhL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 107K)

everything that supported windows 7 supports windows 10. Why not just get windows 10 from the start and stop the running around?

Why would you want to downclock the 9900K?
Just acquire a CPU that works better in those lower frequencies. With the price following of course.

>Also something to wonder about, isn't it easier to downclock an i9 9900k to, say, 3.6 ghz?
that completely ignores the POINT of the 9900k in the first place. If you're gonna do that, you might as well just get a cheaper Ryzen 7 2700X, since it'll outerform a 9900k when they're both at the same clocks. The only reason the 9900k is the performance king currently is its high clockspeed, and consequential power consumption

Will the 3700x likely be ok in a SFF case if cooled with a 240mm AIO?

why are you asking about an unreleased product?

will there be flying cars in 100 years?

because my 4c-8t/16GB RAM feels a bit too tight and I want to dive in the "next-gen" of 8c-16t/32GB RAM

because I'm a gay person

so I think I'll wait for a cooler i9 gen, it will be a serious pain to wait until fall 2019 or even fall 2020, but I don't want to throw my money away right now, thanks for the solid advice, I feel so embarassed right now

Attached: 1551045637016.webm (960x960, 1.95M)

I am entitled to a concrete answer

We have flying cars now, but we call them aircraft.

My RAM is completely fucking dead, only had one 8g stick. What should I replace it with? I have a GA-Z170X-UD3 Mobo. I just want 8 gigs don't really have money atm.

Attached: aq5fx535fkj21.jpg (720x862, 189K)

how about you just get a nh-d15 or 280mm AIO and undervolt the 9900k?
It doesn't thermal throttle this way and you'll get the performance you paid for

Attached: 9thGen_i9_Box.jpg (2700x1803, 1.58M)

>dips chicken tender in the soda

Americans were a mistake.

>so I think I'll wait for a cooler i9 gen,
You'll be waiting a long fucking time then if you won't jump on the Ryzen train.
THIS is what AMD is launching as mid-range in July.
youtube.com/watch?v=CX-xPst-3FI

save and get 2x8gb modules for 100$

240mm should adequate for an 8c26t. As long as the rad is intaking clean air, it doesn't really matter how small it is.

What case were you thinking? Ncase?

M2 worth it over regular SSD?
Any brand apart from Samsung that is decent?
Thank you

Aren't most ram under a lifetime warranty?

>mid-range
You are retarded if you think this will cost less than 400

My temps in general are fine but my 1070 is 48c idle. Is it a bad idea to have the fans on a low speed, say 15% 24/7?

It saves space and doesn't require cables. I have a 500gb nvme m2 for my Os and some software and a 2tb sata m2 for my bulk. Worth it to never have to use a sata cable.

Idle temp effectively don't matter, don't even worry about it.

It'll be around $200 for that. AMD has already confirmed they're increasing core counts. 12 cores at the minimum on the new Ryzen 7's, and possibly 16 cores on the rumored Ryzen 9s.

48c is fine. You can use msi afterburner to set a custom fan curve if you're not comfortable with those temps

I personally set my 1080ti to 40% fan speed (as it's inaudible) at idle from 30c to 60c. Idle temps dropped from 60c to 32c after I did this.

Attached: 1080ti gaming oc.jpg (425x334, 25K)

it.pcpartpicker.com/list/tMcYFt

Please rate my future build.

For WQHD 3440x1440@120hz gaming, target is 150+ FPS on all titles comfortably, with some OC if needed.

Theme is black/white, the only RGB parts will be set to white or turned off. I know I could get some not meme-RAM.. but it's just nice to know I have the possibility to add some colour in case I choose to put the case on display and not under the desk as it is right now.

Should I wait for price drops for some key components? Where can I improve? I'm in the EU as you can see.

Attached: file.png (764x692, 57K)

Ye ok

Attached: 1f1aad2d3c3b2sd4a7d2bdbmkd.png (1522x869, 813K)

I think 2 x 4g is better for me, is there a place I can check which I can buy?

970 evo is outdated. Get the 970 evo plus if you can find it at the same price

The chiplet design is how they're able to do it. The io and all that is on the larger 14nm die. The smaller die contains 8 cores. They've proven with threadripper and epyc they can get multiple dies to work together.
Basically the chiplet design allows they to make many physically small, high production yield, dies and make them work together.

To put in perspective how successful this is, a first gen Threadripper 1950X 16 core HEDT chip, which retailed for $1000, only cost AMD about $120 to make despite the fact Threadripper used 4 separate dies.

Same principle can be applied here, but it's even higher yield since the chips are even smaller, and therefore more profitable.
The design is fucking ingenious.

pic related is what a threadripper chip looks like under the IHS.

Attached: threadripper die.png (725x563, 458K)

Related:
youtube.com/watch?v=G3kGSbWFig4
youtube.com/watch?v=d3RVwLa3EmM
youtube.com/watch?v=qgvVXGWJSiE

>which retailed for $1000, only cost AMD about $120 to make despite the fact Threadripper used 4 separate dies.
Source? I'd like to read more about this.

pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-ryzen-threadripper-specs
>Bits and Chips also claimed to have sources informing them that the production cost for a Threadripper CPU is around the $110-120 mark. If that’s true, AMD stand to make a hefty profit on each processor, even once you deduct things like retailer’s margin, shipping and R&D costs.

Has anyone has issues where their mobo just outright does not post? Fans running, lights seem frozen. I don’t think it’s the power supply since if that were the case nothing would turn on at all, right? Computer hard shut off, black screen, frozen sound. Restarted only for it to not start again. No USB power at all. GPU fan running. HDD activity light short only brief. Tried disconnecting everything and general checking.

Yeah I set it up to run at 15% because 20% was audible. I'll probably just turn it off then.

Then we pretty much know latency will be attrocious so it's gonna be shit

Slightly higher idle temps are actually better for longevity than lower once. Since there's less thermal expansion when you use the GPU and it gets hot anyways.

I don't have prices in my head but that's what I would base my purchase on. The performance difference is neglible.

When this was happening to me, it turned out 2 of my RAM slots on my motherboard were faulty. Not having RAM occupying those slots stopped the issue.

>production cost for a Threadripper CPU is around the $110-120 mark
does that include all the low quality and defective silicone?

It'll be a non-issue when microsoft fixes their scheduler. You could also disable 1 chiplet and retain all 8 cores in the other one if you really needed to.

It's practically the same under most workloads but saves you the trouble of cable management.

I see. Interesting.

What's up with that "dude there is no real 4k dude. It's only up scaling lmao what are you doing with such a big screen? There is no game with native 4k lmao just stay on 1080 man. Native 4k is just a meme" shit?

Must be a PS4 Pro owner

Hmm. Worth a try, I tried everything else including replacing ram but not change slots entirely... Thanks for the heads up! Can’t report back immediately though.

He must be talking about consoles. Obviously 4k exists.

Latency is why AMD went through developing a data bus they call the Infinity Fabric. The Infinity Fabric runs at the bus speed of the ram installed, and is why Ryzen is so touchy about fast clocked ram.
youtube.com/watch?v=kqH3z2ygwxM

>Amazon offers 2-day ship
>Your order has been rescheduled 4 days after the 2 day deadline
I-its ok I've waited 10 years already to get back into PC gaming what's a few days right?

Attached: aid181484-v4-728px-Stop-Crying-when-You-Are-Very-Upset-Step-4-Version-2.jpg (728x546, 45K)

If cpu temp makes the pwn cpu fan go faster, what makes the case fans speed up? Is it based on mobo heat or something else?

Offers? Or did you pay for that shit. If the latter you can at least get your money back.

depends on the q-fan settings on your motherboard. if you have it set to manual then it'll stay at a constant speed. if you have it set to the other modes then it'll adjust based on what the motherboard manual says it does.

Mutha fucker, if you know what motherboard you have research your own memory specs dumb ass.

Attached: 13.png (302x262, 135K)

Do most people have it set to ramp up when playing games, or do they mostly have them at set speeds?

most motherboards default to off so it runs the case fans at full speed so I assume that's what most normies run with.

I personally have mines set to manual 60%. Keeps things cool and isn't loud for me.

Not just that Zen latencies are still shit unless you use unicorn memory

The real question is how much latency there will be with this io chip and if memory controller will be on it.

Zen already suffer from massive inter CCX and l3 latencies

Buying a PC from a friend it has

>GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H B250
>Intel BX80677G4600 3.6 GHz Pentium Processor
>EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply

What GPU should I look to buy?

Gotcha. What rpm are your fans? My exhaust and both front intakes are at around 1000. Any faster than that and they whine.

>Zen already suffer from massive inter CCX and l3 latencies
first gen Ryzen did. second gen managed to make massive improvements to the latencies.
It still remains to be seen what improvements they made to Zen 2 but considering it's already beating the 9900k, I'm not all that worried.

570 or below.

RX 570 at the absolute most, and even then, it'll bottleneck it.

I'm going to upgrade everything, so I want a GPU that'll do well enough so it can be the last thing I upgrade.

Question:

will the 12 core 3700x be THE cpu to see one through the next console generation?

OR

would a 6 core Intel be fine?

such a conundrum

if a 6 core is OK then spazzing out over 12 cores is a waste of time. I would imagine that the new consoles will be using Ryzen and that consoles will be the lead development platforms. If a PC user on Intel is getting framedrops or whatever, that isn't important in the big scheme of things.

Attached: 1541630055351.jpg (2048x2732, 386K)

1050 Ti then

they're currently running at about 1000rpm. I'm using corsair af120 quiet edition case fans

who /third core/ hot here?

Attached: thirdcore.png (478x1410, 101K)

Nice

It's your choice how overkill you want to go. If you're not going to swap the CPU for a couple years it wouldn't be smart to spend too much on the GPU now.

for me the 2nd core runs the hottest and the 3rd core runs the coldest

How to test max vcore overshoot when llc is enabled?

Are you retarded? An RX 570 is like 30% faster on average for the same price.

RX 570.

When it comes to overclocking your cpu do you just change the core value and voltage, or do you need to learn how to use all of the other cpu settings?

youtube.com/watch?v=H6_Dj-TedSU

RX 580 4GB edition.

I just overclocked my Ryzen 7 2700 to 3.8GHz and was wondering if 85° C is too hot?

Will a 1070 be enough to play current stuff at 144hz on 1080p? I'm trying to play Vermintide II in my gf's 8gb rx 580 but it doest get even close to that even when lowering settings.

Third and fifth are my hottest

Attached: 3rd core hot.png (639x1284, 91K)

Buy used 1070ti to be sure.

My 1070 plays Far Cry 5 in 4k60 at 0.7 res scale

So that's about 1440p 60fps

The Trident Z. Is it the CL14 or CL15 version? My advice is get the CL14, I'm running it myself and it is worth it.

That doesnt asnwer my question tho.

Hey guys, question for you. Looking to buy a new 30+ inch monitor for PC gaming and I've been somewhat obsessed with getting a curved on. Was out to Microcenter and saw a couple that looked interesting. Unfortunately, reading their 1 star reviews on Amazon show a myriad of repeated light bleed and dead pixel issues. Anyone know what would be the most reliable options in the field?

My computer is about a year or so old with a 1080, so it should be able to handle whatever I throw at it (not that I play games that are that demanding).

give it to me real is all the zen 2 hype just wishful thinking? or should i just get an 8700k now

There should be a CPU sized hole in motherboards, where you put a double chip, that is cooled from both sides. They should design a better interface than stupid fiddly pins on the front panel and fan headers also. The USB3 connector is a fucking joke. I think the original purpose was to put normies off building their own machines, but I think that policy is over, now they want everyone on the Internet. Pins! WTF?

Most of it probably is wishful thinking. Wait a few more months to see if Zen 2 brings anything to the table. If not then just buy the 8700k.

It should be good enough for 1080p144 in many games but high frame rate gaming also requires a beefy intel CPU, preferably overclocked.

Nobody knows, and anybody who tells you otherwise is lying.
Release is later this year. If you need a PC now, build now. Something better always around the corner.

Best to wait now until zen 2 reviews are up. You could probably get a 9700k at cheaper prices by then anyway.

for a minor overclock you only need to bump up the core multiplier. for a mild overclock you may have to tweak voltages to be stable. for a heavy overclock then you have to dab into the specific motherboard settings like load line calibration, c states, and pll overvoltage.

if it's not throttling it's considered to be safe.

Hey fags. I want to upgrade my XFX Force AMD Radeon HD 6450 (yeah 1gb)
Would this be a good choice? amazon.com/dp/B071CD6K6Z/ref=psdc_284822_t2_B07MTNS89J
My budget was 200$ I think I can shell out 19 bucks more. I might end up paying 300 buckeroos or more in total to ship it to me.

Attached: 24TB.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

Get an RX570 from Newegg.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131717&Description=rx570&cm_re=rx570-_-14-131-717-_-Product

2 Free games. $130. If you're coming from a 1GB 6450, this is still a huge upgrade. Use the money you save for another part.

here. Within your budget and cheaper. Plus 2 free games.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150794

Ok thanks. My ryzen 2600 only goes to 3.9 with a mild overclock. Is it even possible for it to go higher with a heavy overclock? Is it even worth learning how to do it?

pcpartpicker.com/list/tsZ6zY

This is what I'm mostly going with for my new build. I can't find any Tomahawks that aren't on backorder. What are good alternatives for a motherboard?

are there any sold separately gpu supports that operate like the one on this card? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202321

LLC, C States, and pll overvoltage are for when you're pushing for every last tiny MHz possible. If you were trying to push for say, 4 to 4.1GHz up from your 3.9GHz, you'd only have to worry about voltage and LLC (if your motherboard has this). Overall for Ryzen ,don't exceed 1.4v for 24/7 use and set your LLC to tight/higher number. The tighter your LLC, the closer to the set voltage your motherboard will remain. I.e. it will avoid voltage droop and voltage boost, both of which are bad.

I usually do quick and dirty overclocking. Set voltage as high as I'm willing to go with harsh LLC to keep it there and just keep ramping up the clock + stress testing until I get a BSOD. Then slowly step the clock back until I get it stable.

I have a 4670k at 4GHz that I wont like to upgrade soon

Get rid of thats dinosaur 1080 and grab a rx card instead