This is the old Q6600. Say something nice about it

This is the old Q6600. Say something nice about it.

Attached: 123.jpg (700x693, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IfHG7bj-CEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's still incredibly competent for daily tasks.

athlon II x4 620 was better

i wish i could have afforded one back in 2007

Its amazing how a 10 year old CPU (released Q4 2008) can still run windows 10.

A CPU from 1998, would NOT have been able to run Vista in 2008. Think 300-400 Mhz Pentium 2.

Certainly this last 10 years has resulted in much less gains.

I replaced my Q6600 with a 9700k

pretty drastic upgrade.

Indeed. Hell, technically speaking, you could run Windows 10 on a machine with an Athlon 64, or late Pentium 4 (64 bit processors), and they probably wouldn't perform all that bad. We haven't seen significant gains in single core performance for quite a while now.

very expensive compared to a phenom ii at the time.

>phenom ii at the time
How young were you at the time?

Phenom II didn't release until January of 2009.

Q6600 released in January of 2007

Two full years before the Phenom II release.

While Windows has gained significantly in unnecessary shit running in the background.

Not to mention it still needs several hours of CPU time to upgrade for whatever reason.

I'm talking about after phenom ii release, used prices were just as high as new phenom ii prices.

>(((unnecessary shit running in the background)))

I think hideously slow, worn out mechanical hard drives are to blame for long upgrade times tbqh.

lmao, yeah because the Q6600 held it's value because the OG Phenom launch was embarrassing, Phenom II was equally embarrassing in terms of performance.

No one gave a shit what Phenom II cost since anyone who cared about performance already bought a Q6600 a year or two earlier. And thus, ignored Phenom II entirely.

I built a PC for my young brother with one of these and I was surprised about how fast they still are. They are pretty good for web browsing and basic shit, and they do perform really well on gaming when paired with a 750Ti.

it can run win10 well. i used to run win10 on an atom z3735f and it worked fine - something with 3 times the passmark score will run it well

Still viable today.

>FSB
>4 boomer cores
>crysis

Attached: 1551001809216.jpg (740x506, 118K)

I've recently been into delidding all sorts of CPUs I've got laying around from autisticly buying a bunch of cheap used office PCs to scrap.
The only CPU I've fucked up by delidding was an E6550, because it was the first soldered chip I'd come across and I had no issues taking them apart previously.

I want to delid you, Q6600.

That's correct but not in the way you'd think.
Windows update has a habit of using obscene, inexplicably huge amounts of memory causing the excessive pagefile usage.

Attached: 1546320930285.jpg (1890x1630, 207K)

>Its amazing how a 10 year old CPU (released Q4 2008)

The mainstream 65 nanometer Core 2 Quad Q6600, clocked at 2.4 GHz, was launched on January 8, 2007 at US$851 (reduced to US$530 on April 7, 2007).

Attached: EO8a4.jpg (420x521, 33K)

my shitty ass northwood celeron ran vista though

Attached: snapshot_00.40.000.png (1920x1080, 2.95M)

Those are like super computers compared to 300 Mhz pentium 2.

hello

Attached: qwin8preview.jpg (1600x1200, 304K)

Though by the time Phenom II came around, intel already had LGA1156

And LGA1366.
Phenom II was a nice drop in upgrade over the OG if you already had a AM2 board. It also had a dual memory controller so you didn't need to upgrade to DDR3 to use it. It was generally faster than C2Q but slower than first gen i7.

>2.4Ghz
Why are you blatantly downplaying how fast you can actually go?

This was a great CPU thanks to its overclocking abilities. I used one for 10 years and still was able to sell it for a decent price when it was retired. I'd even lapped the thing.

Attached: IMG_0461.jpg (1632x1224, 906K)

Reminder that ARM is the future
youtube.com/watch?v=IfHG7bj-CEI

I still use a e5450 to this very day

Attached: hello reddit.png (1125x634, 49K)

Lets not.

>Vista
>WIN8TEST
>7's Aero
>Directx 11 on a AGP GPU
what the fuck I'm looking at

A computer's screenshot.

>>Directx 11 on a AGP GPU
Are you retarded? Just because DX11 is installed doesn't mean a GPU is DX11

Glued-together desktop dies with inconsistent performance

Another retard. This board has gone to shit

I use it to this day.
It's good.

>just buy an SSD goy
SSD shills must be gassed

That's a 3Ghz CPU.

I still have you in my parent's home. Thanks for running Battlefield Bad Company 2 flawlessly and thanks for serving as my parents' living room computer. I replaced you with an i5 2500k.

>/poorfag/ general

Come back when ARM can do even close to the same performance as anything x86.

>winfags having to worry about critical hardware support.

>b-but muh overclock

Attached: q6600.png (607x641, 49K)

Yes, that's what intel told you.
But the CPU it's fame for being a stellar overclocker.
At least the first revision.

Can comfirm.My old PC still has an Athlon 64 X2 and runs okay.

My brother ran his Q6600 at 3.6ghz for years

My ex still uses a phenom ii x4 955 @ 4.1ghz

Both these cpus at their time were great

Cuckteks always gets schooled in the comment section.

Kiketeks BTFO

Attached: kiketeks.png (921x264, 61K)

Years ago, I somehow managed to push it to 100ÂșC while I was trying some OC. The CPU is still alive and working well in my brother's computer.

Realistically I don't see why it wont still be fine in the next 10 years either. Sure, as we see accelerations to things like OGL/HTML5+ along wiht higher resolution audio/video codecs that rely on hardware optimizations things may get choppy, but I'm still running fine with a Core 2 Duo on my laptop which does just about everything I need it to.

Fucking rekt

Attached: 1504687768905.jpg (605x685, 77K)

based. my old pc have this one, it's still great for daily usage

Thats not a testament to how good the 6600 was. Its just proof Tha cpu performance has barely moved the last 10 years compared to the 10 years before that.

The Q6600 will be utterly useless when the next windows comes out. That's because cpu performance will be pushed a big step with Intel 10nm and amd 7nm.

That's if the next Windows isn't a flaming meat hook abortion. Windows 7 is over a decade old now and still does everything just fine. Not to mention, W10 once it gets de-cucked isn't that bad (LTSB). Hell, wasn't till about 2-3 years ago XP finally started losing its massive market share.

>when the next windows comes out
So, where stuck with Q6600 forever, right?

You can buy a chinkshit 120 GB SSD for like $18 shipped to your fucking door on Amazon. Keep your molasses spinning shit, poorfag.

Still works fine for me. Going strong thus far. Only reason to upgrade is for new games but since I don't play them I could care less.

Attached: Speccy.jpg (894x588, 239K)

I'm glad. Can you imagine if you'd need an 8 core cpu to run office shit? I hope that day never comes.

Why not? If normies needed higher core counts then we would get better CPUs and optimization.

Wrong. Software would only get more bloated and we'd need a gazillion wide-ass cores to have the same performance of a 10 year old computer

>Buddy always never really had money
>He worked his ass off all the time and spent all his money on his family's bills
>Always wanted to play games with me but no money for even a half way decent PC
>Get him an old office machine with C2Q, 6GB RAM
>give him my old Radeon 5770

He nearly started crying when me and bros gave it to him for his birthday. He kept that machine running for fucking ever and only just recently upgraded because the motherboard finally gave up the ghost. C2Q will always be special to me because it brought him years of fun and was even a rock solid desktop for his college days.

You are a good guy, user. And you definitely deserve a hug.

>buying intel
>ever

if thats your stance the majority of your life has been plagued with sub-par CPU performance.

t. meltdown goy

t. lacking in single core performance cuck

Based.

t. gAAAymercuck

>athlon II x4 620
Two and half years later.

>No one cared
Ran a 955be @4ghz for years

No one said no one bought it at all, but you're laughing if you think you were in any sort of majority.

Intel was simply better at the time, and sold far far more.

Even now when intel aren't the clear winners, they still sell better overall due to big names like HP, Dell, etc who all generally use intel for their prebuilts, especially for businesses.

They literally pay oems off.

Phenom IIs were still initially competitive with Intel's first iteration of 1st generation i5 parts Nehalem. But when Intel managed to make the uncore better on Lynnfield, the 2nd iteration, the i5 750 blew out the 965 BE so hard and on top being cheaper that AMD rapidly lost whatever little marketshare they had left. I'm amazed still that AMD managed to survive Bulldozer being as bad as it was and come back with Zen.

No one is denying that.

Though I doubt they're doing it currently at least not as overtly as in the mid 2000s.

I switched to a 2500k :^)

>I'm amazed still that AMD managed to survive Bulldozer being as bad as it was and come back with Zen.
The GPU/semi-custom business kept them on life support.

Well I'm not the one that said no one gave a shit. Was a fine processor for what I did, my North bridge cooked at those clocks though.

I gave my Q6600 to my grandma along with my 560Ti. She uses it for facebook and reddit. It's still chugging along.

>2008
>a Q6600 with a Rampage Extreme X48
>4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair
>a fucking Sapphire 4870x2
>a fucking Corsair HX1000W
>a shit keyboard
>a based Logitech G9
Good times!

Attached: 1548102525255.png (526x437, 101K)

For anything that is not gaming/productivity related? Yeah.

For gaming, the games are starting to be compiled with later SSE instruction sets in mind, and there was a little oops with AC Oddysey earlier this year where the game was compiled with AVX on which obsoletes them. And for productivity, it's obvious with how slow the chip is at it compared to modern counterparts.

>Opteron 175 air cooled with a huge ass Tuniq Tower
>DFI LanParty NF4
>4GB G.Skill DDR2
>7900GT
>two WD 10K RPM 74gb Raptors slave drives
>one 250gb IDE HDD master drive
>Antec 550w PSU
>Coolmaster stacker case
>Shit ton of RBG fans
>Logitech G15
>MX518

BRING ME BACK

Attached: 1536292739450.jpg (487x423, 6K)

E6300 @2.55GHz was a better value
I even hit 2.8Ghz but not prime stable

It's garbage

It gave the plebians who missed the i7 920 their chance.

you are an honorable man, based

>E8200
>4GB Kingston hyper X
>Asus P5K
>8800GT 256MB sli
>WD Black 640GB
>Silverstone strider 700w
>Coolermaster CM630
>Hp keyboard
>Logitech g500

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Attached: received_319276248938494_mirror2.jpg (1298x2308, 315K)

>I think hideously slow, worn out mechanical hard drives are to blame for long upgrade times tbqh.
maybe but that wouldn't explain why updates on linux are so painless and quick. you don't even have to restart your system for most updates. i think it has more to do with how complex windows is. i remember windows xp being around 600m (you could burn it on a cd) and now windows is about 4gb. it's insane.

>productivity meme
runs firefox, gimp, libreoffice, krita, ffmpeg and octave just fine for me.