How did you get into your IT job?

> Security guard
> Say I'm interested in working call desk because I thought it would be easy watching netflix all day
> Turns out to be hard as all hell
> hundreds of calls per day, emails, alarm monitoring, random problems and customer complaints non-stop
> About to quit
> IT guy announces he's leaving
> Put my hand up, say I can run a Linux server
> Manager says "I don't know what you just said, but I'll talk to you later"
> End of shift
> So I ran your proposal by the director and he's on board
> Send us a sheet with your IT experience and I'll let you know if you have it
> Lie
> Next day "This is great user, I didn't you were so talented. You got the job
> Present day
> IT guy leaving in a week
> Suddenly I'm in charge of managing and maintaining a complex enterprise network
> All I know is a few CISCO acronyms

Wish me luck anons

Attached: poser.jpg (600x800, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/17/business/la-fi-mo-man-outsourced-job-to-china-20130117
imgur.com/a/2RMWQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

call desk is literally the worst job available in the first world. you sound clueless
good luck

you're going back to security, as fellow security guard I recognize secure low-effort attitude, just get a post at CCTVS and watch netflix on phone all day

INB4
I just destroyed all data in a live production environment and also wiped all backups.

If true, which I doubt. Good luck user. Hope you should have stuck around more and gotten that experience. If you want to watch netflix all day go to an other job.

imagine the taste

I'm 15 year sysadmin and I started on 2nd shift keeping stuff together when the IT guy realized 24 hour support actually meant it.

Then I was too green for the job so my boss made up a bs junior IT job just so he could pay me 10k less than the previous guy.

Then senior IT at another site quit and I was sent to train the new guy on our systems.

doing education/certs etc all the time (as much as the corp education stuff would pay for).

now I'm a sysadmin with all the bullshit that comes with it

there is more to IT than any 1 person can manage and if there is a void that you can fill you can do it. Just keep don't break running systems, backup EVERY config before changing, keep shit running at all costs, manage expectations and understand there is a countdown on over your head that you can either race to beat or just accept this isn't a long term thing.

Yeah, I'm trying to pic it up. I have less than 5 days until the senior IT guy who has been managing it is gone. And he doesn't care anymore, took 2 sick days last week but was obviously fine. He's being a bro though. He knows I'm winging it and my resume is bullshit, but I guess he's past the point of giving a fuck.

The problem is the network he's been managing has grown 100x in size since he began because the company has expanded.

I've been downloading and cramming knowledge from CBT nuggets videos and things, but the amount of variation in software/hardware on this network is huge. Too much for a one man show who hasn't helped built it over the years to learn in under 2 weeks, while still being stuck doing my old role to a partial extent until he leaves.

I'm worried about a huge failure and all eyes being on me while I fail to fix it.

My biggest priority is learning to make a god tier backup system and being able to restore everything from up to an hour ago and just consistently do that when shit fucks out.

But how do I do that? So much random software, so much random shit. Would it all be on one server that I should back up regularly?

I'm honestly really stressed out about this. But it's also finally my foot in the door of IT which I've wanted for years. Finally escaping shit jobs! Just have to survive this!

honestly one of the hardest problems with IT is that any answer to this question is extremely environment dependent. you have a zillion overlapping services that have to play nice together in random groupings (what do you mean Brazil changed their daylight savings time and now Kerberos won't auth from 50% of the DCs in the domain?)
The only general advice I can give is document ALL the systems you possibly can while he's there. make sure you have passwords and IPs for as much as you can. then start looking for systems you don't consider systems and vendors and document those. who is your phone provider? how is VoIP implemnted? what contracts do you have for cell phones? where are policies located? do you have any regulatory requirements like HR and HIPAA? make lists like you've never made lists before.

having a lot of TCL / telnet or ssh backup experience there is a linux tool called RANCID that you may find useful in conjunction with nmap.
and good luck with your trial by fire

My first "real" IT job, not just being a contractor through nepotism was literally just

>Find a random server host on LowEndBox

>Message them

>Hey can I use Gentoo on my system? here's an OpenVZ template I made

>...You know how OpenVZ works? Do you want like, a job?

met a dude at a hackathon, we talked about shitty Jow Forums memes. I join his IRC and after college got a job in this guy he knows startup. Now I work in some guys basement for 14 hours a day

Time to learn how to install adobe reader and Google Ultron

After all the years of looking at this image I think I've decided that this is a guy.

Maybe keep someone (earlier IT guy / some consultant) as a backup if things go haywire.

And maybe ask management for a budget to have a consultant do some form of environment map. It should be a fairly easy sell and shows you aim to take ownership of the whole environment.

Copy this man's wonderful work.
articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/17/business/la-fi-mo-man-outsourced-job-to-china-20130117

Don't waste all your new found free time and try to get your head around these systems. Once you have a year under your belt spend your free time trying to parlay into a better paying gig. Rinse and repeat.

I remember this thread

>Finally escaping shit jobs!

Nope. Youre just trading one shit job for another. Welcome to the shitshow that is IT. Your environment is a fucking mess thanks to executive mismanagement and skimming, and the IT guys are abandoning ship as a result. Your inheriting a giant fucking headache and you will be in their shoes within 6 months.

Greentext that senpai

You're probably going to fuck up big time since this sounds like a job for someone with at least a couple years of experience, but the best suggestion right now is that you look at how the place is set up, try your damndest to keep it that way until you figure out why things are the way they are, and crunch information at home.
Pray to fucking god that the systems you're in charge of isn't one big piling tower strung together with flimsy duct tape.
Your first job should be backing literally everything up, so that they don't sue the everloving shit out of you when the systems inevitably catch aids and explode.

Listen to this guy OP

I lied my way in too. That was twenty years ago. As long as you're not a complete moron, you should be able to pick it up.

Attached: network_administrator.jpg (1920x1080, 331K)

My brother in law worked in the computer room of a large corporation, as a shift manager, of a mainframe installation. When I left school he got me a temporary job, and the director agreed that I should be given a permanent job. I worked as an operator for two years then the corporation paid for me to go to university and learn programming. I then worked as a COBOL programmer, C Programmer, and Fortran programmer. I now run my own business

>complex enterprise network
LOL some desktops running a streaming camera app

I always thought that was zooey deschanel

That's just the mental illness, user. I noticed that a lot of anons here start to go delusional and see traps everywhere

I took a picture of the topology map and screenshots of an excel file detailing basically the same shit as the topology map and it's pretty fucking complicated.

I'm a hobbyist and thought I would be able to wing it, but this shit is beyond ridiculous. I had no idea what I was getting into but don't want to back out now.

I might be fucked though.

Hundreds of servers, receievers, random X software here, there and everywhere. And a critical application runs off a program from 20+ years ago, the last time it broke down they called the developer who was in a nursing home. It was an inhouse application.

I wish I could tell you guys more, but it will have to wait until after I'm fired or it's been years and I have the network running perfectly.

>the last time it broke down they called the developer who was in a nursing home
kek

>Be me, 21, IT major at shitty Uni.
>Takes C#, Java, etc.
>Depression.png
>UNIX Programming course
>Fuckyeah.png
>Basic-ass bash, python mentioned in passing as an OOP language, makes the class run noobuntu with VSCode on it.
>Class thinks they know GNU/Linux now.
>MFW

Trashy-ass Uni. but i need that slip of paper to get by HR walls.
Tech industry is nonexistent in my country too :/

Attached: pepe_61.jpg (267x181, 9K)

You’re fucked. I would start studying the Net+ immediately just cuz they hammer acronyms so hard and desu that really is important.

Kneepads.
The boss from the firm needed kneepads. I play cricket with him. He's a nice dude.
Oh and blackmail.

This might help you:
imgur.com/a/2RMWQ

Not OP but I've been looking for this for ages

Thanks, user

>Finish university
>1 week out of Uni start applying for jobs
>Interview after 1 day of applying
>1st year: £20,000
>2nd year: £24,000
>3rd year: £28,000
>4th year: £35,000
>5th year £44,000
>6th year £58,000
Life is comfy. And I still live with my mum.

They'll fire you after the second year.

I solved their CTFs / reverse engineering challenges posted on their website and it just happened to be a local business that finds it hard to recruit for this kind of work because a lot of CS graduates can't reverse engineer a binary.

What cuntry is this?
I got more than 60k right out of school and mostly bullshitted my resume and hardly even knew what I was doing.

this is just an ugly girl m8.

She's just a nerd you sexist.
Stop discriminating against women in tech.

No.

I just finished a meme degree in English from a major University, and have a year experience in Desktop Support in my undergrad. What's a good next step so I can make ok money?

I wish you the best of luck user, you can make it. It probably won't be an easy job though.

"Her" adam's apple disagrees with you.

Security guard for a private school. Pay is fine especially for what I do. I thought about getting into IT before I got into a private school. I still do some independent study but not as much as before.
Way better than the public school I was working previously where I was continually running around helping teachers and actually having to do my job since the kids were not the student type.
Now I just play vidya on my laptop, watch movies and tv shows while keeping a eye on cctv. Do some rounds.
Night shift is even better since it's just 1 person. Keep an eye on cctv at times, do some rounds, use my laptop, use school facilities like playing basketball, gym, swimming pool (lmao), go through lost and found, counting down the days for certain lost and found items to be thrown out [spoiler]female gym clothes galaxys8[/spoiler] to name a few, food from cafeteria and vending machines.
It's too easy and I am getting too comfortable I guess to consider switching right now.

Hey user, when you suspect they're gonna fire you, come to work dressed up as a nazy and say your out to exterminate jewish viruses

I don't remember how I got my college internship. I remember the CS department and job placement office being exactly zero help. I was lucky to land two interviews with the state. One asked if I could do networking in DOS. This was 2003 so I said something to the effect of "wow, you can do that?" so I was lucky the other one called me back.

Out of school, I wasted time doing job fairs. Total joke. I put out several hundred resumes/apps on job boards of the time like Monster. Nothing for 6 months. Signed up with staffing agencies, most of which never ever called me back. Got a call from Tek, took a test, ended up in a no-work-no-direction contract. "Fired" because the guy next to me fell asleep in a meeting.

Another 4 months of spamming resumes. Took a civil service test. DataQuest contract that was good. Left when I got a permanent offer with state.

Not long after, pay freeze hit. Then 2008 bankster crash so pay freeze continued. Liked the job but couldn't afford to stay. 2013 started interviewing elsewhere.

Has a few jobs with DataQuest. Huge raise. Shit companies though, just like the Tek contract. No direction, blame contractors. Very common.

Took another civil service test. Landed first interview. Job sucked. Many hindu dindu fuckups (oops, repeated myself) and tons of unpaid overtime.

Started applying within state. Passed on or passed by hindu dindu fuckups. Finally took an "IT policy" job to escape. Sit around doing nothing all day and want to blow my brains out.

I've been really depressed ever since 2013. Every project is hindu dindu mismanagement. Nowhere for smart people to work here. So bad that I went to PP for hormone pills. I thought maybe I'd just SJW my way into a better job. That's how desperate I was. I haven't taken them but there are days I might if I'd ever gotten down to acceptable female weight.

I wish I knew what to do to get back into real software development because I can't do this shit much longer.

By doing
```
sudo apt get
sudo apt get
```

Is 20k Pounds even minimum wage? look out for another job that sounds unserious