Why do americucks still insist on 127V?

Why do americucks still insist on 127V?

Attached: imageproxy.jpg (800x351, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window
amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-KE1500B-Electric-Cordless/dp/B01MR19O54/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

One does not easily change such a standard.

Because 60Hz is better than 50Hz.

Real question is why does northern Japan still use 120V/50Hz.

Safer to install & maintenance. We still have 240v feeding into houses for things like AC/electric stoves/water heater but plugs and light fixtures function on 120V.

50hz is retarded. your screen/tv/monitor is 60hz

That's not true. What kills you is usually the current. The higher the voltage the lower the current.

those two things have nothing to do with each other

Think of how many jobs you'd create by making everyone switch to 240V and the Schuko sockets God wants you to use.

Attached: schuko socket.jpg (1000x1000, 47K)

You clearly have no clue

>his electricity isn't 144hz
Enjoy your low framerate

It largely doesn't matter and changing it now would be prohibitively expensive.

you're fucking stupid man

Americans have 240V split phase power (unless you live in an apartment where you're suck on 207V 3 phase power)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

NEMA needs to get off their asses and make a backwards compatible 4 prong 240V 15/20A wall socket.

This was relevant in the previous century. These days everything has its own timing circuitry.

Attached: debiru.png (224x314, 61K)

It's not a question of "insisting" but rather a question of divine amounts of financial and infrastructural resources necessary to make the switch.
I don't think anyone besides drooling drumpftards is going to argue about the superiority of higher voltage for household installations.

There are 127 millions households in the USA alone. Imagine all of them having to buy a new washing machine. Half of them are arms deep in debt, other half does not know what "voltage means". Pure chaos.
Not possible within any forseable future.

>your screen/tv/monitor is 60hz
This argument hasn't been relevant since the end of analog TV using the power-line frequency as it's refresh frequency.

V=IR
If you double the voltage, you either have to double the current, or the resistance. For a human body the resistance is fixed, so the current must double.

it really isnt 120V until it hits the junction box. most homes have access to 230 for large appliances like dishwashers and ovens

>its the current that gets you

Attached: 1551035044164.jpg (645x1000, 92K)

current doesn't exist by itself, it's the voltage that creates the current..

Brainlet here, what do those numbers mean? Also why is PerĂº (where I am right now) one of the few with 240V and 60Hz, is that a good thing?

Attached: 1523706756104.jpg (543x443, 15K)

Because it's the most based house current, we only use 240 for ovens
>ovencucks btfo

Because fuck you. That's why.

50 hz current running on 60 hz monitor requires a frequency regulator in the monitor. However most consumer electronics these days probably have one built in, so its not really an issue.

You mean superior IEC 60906-1. Schuko is just worse.

Well, the EU failed to standardize, same as the USA failed to modernize their power grid. Suckers.

Attached: IEC60906-1-plug.svg.png (400x240, 8K)

Natural gas master race reporting in. I have 240v available, but why bother when I can use superior fire to heat my house/food/water.

In most cases it works like this:
Anything over 100mA is potentially lethal.
Anything over 200mA will probably kill you.
Wet skin: 1,000 Ohms of resistance
120v/1,000 = 110 mA
240v/1,000 = 240mA

Therefore for all intents and purposes casualties from working with 120v will be lower than 240v and therefore safer to work with.

Higher voltage AC devices and wires are more efficient, resulting in less pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, resulting in fewer casualties caused by air quality and climate change.

Right but nobody cares about that and switching to 240v costs an insane amount of money and that will only reduce global warming/pollution by like 0.000001%. Sad fact is it is probably too late to reverse the damage caused by burning fossil fules, trees won't save us now.

Our best bet is GMOs that collect CO2 faster than we can pump it out but it's not known what the long term consequences of that would be.

>good thing?
Yes, put an spoon on it

What the fuck is up with Brazil? Do they really need both?

If it werks don't fix it.

Attached: blonde rin.jpg (1280x1180, 77K)

>he doesn't know american homes have 240 for the things that need it

>220-24V 50Hz
>100-127V 60Hz
what the fuck is wrong with UMA DELICIA

It's not like SI units which are objectively a better standard where it's a massive pain in the ass that the US insists on old units. You mostly just need some converters and you can use whatever appliances you want from outside the US, and vice versa.

Would it be better if everyone had the same standard? Yes. Is it worth the cost of upgrading the hardware in millions of homes? Well, maybe, but I think the US has bigger things to worry about at the moment.

Both are 60Hz, but still.

That thing isn't symmetrical. It's retarded.

superior bait

Danish plug is the only good plug
everyone else is a pluglet

Gotta insert subliminal pics of cocks ;^)

Attached: slaget_vid_lund.jpg (610x342, 53K)

seek help from a psychiatrist

Only Peru, Koreas and Flippers got it right

>220 V
>60 Hz

Four countries are not morons

Lots of our population is stupid and like to stick forks in outlets. But really it's just hard to change standards.

Why Brazil and Japan use two standards?

Scandinavian/korean plug is good, but the US plug means the pins can retracted into many wall warts, neat for travel. Of course 110v sucks.

this a really, really minor thing. When working with residential voltages the power should always be off, it's easy to do so, and use insulated tools. Also how long and which path it takes through the body is extremely important as well, a touch of 240v is in no way "probably" going to kill you, but it happens.

It's overhead power lines that cause most casualties. Off course for accidents, like faulty installations or hardware 110v might help a little.

t.subliminal dick pic enthusiast

Because electric companies make more when everything is on inefficient 120v

>Of course 110v sucks
why

And half of Brazil as it seems.

You can't use it for kettles, stoves or any such high power load.

110v = niggers and cucks
220v = white race masterrace

voltlets pls btfo

Actual arguments against and in favour the two voltages pl0x.

Attached: 1530299510193.jpg (278x282, 11K)

>Scandinavian plug is good
No such thing as a Scandinavian plug.

Attached: 1551568544725.jpg (1152x1152, 160K)

Voltlets get out, this is a 220/230V thread.

Attached: based-doggo.gif (500x430, 1.51M)

You get what I mean. The plugs that are used in Scandinavia and South Korea (K/F)

>Brazil
Historical reasons, the grids were originally 2 separate grids.

They dont use the same plugs dummy

Brazil is in that strange position of mostly adhering to standards but still somewhat being influenced by the US.

The grid in the southern region was originally built by a Canadian company and serves 127V to outlets because in the early days most of their imports came from the US.

Northeast region came after and wasn't as developed, so they could go with a standard that actually made sense, hence why it's ~220V/60Hz. Nowadays Brazil also imports more from the EU than from the US, but this doesn't really matter since anything can operate just fine with any electrical source you throw at it.

Real question is why do they still have those awful plugs.

based smiley plug

Attached: veryhappythanks.jpg (1024x768, 471K)

>Arguing with a country that has landed it's citizens on the Moon

Attached: 1537331858827.jpg (250x227, 5K)

>Think of how many jobs you'd create
Broken Window Fallacy, nigger
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

Attached: smug_cap.png (420x420, 9K)

>It's not like SI units which are objectively a better standard where it's a massive pain in the ass that the US insists on old units

Spotted the brainlet.

Attached: SI -vs- USA.png (785x681, 86K)

BLOWN
THE
FUCK
OUT
HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa
FUCK YOU EUROFAGS
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

>muh inches
kys

>tfw live in Brazil and have both 110V and 220V.
>we also have the best plug.
Fuck everything else about this country, though.

>110V and 220V
what's the fucking difference?

Current doesn't flow unless there is a high voltage to "drive" it.

Based

>kilogallon
>kilofoot

Attached: 1523614822092.png (737x639, 100K)

220V is more powerful

>Can't use it for kettles
You can 100% buy 120v kettles

amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-KE1500B-Electric-Cordless/dp/B01MR19O54/

220 gives more "powah" with less amps

220 is slightly more efficient and slightly more likely to kill you. You really don't want to touch a live wire either way, and if 110 wasn't "good enough" it wouldn't be so widely used. Long distance lines are in the kilovolts anyways so it really doesn't matter.

Australia and New Zealand have a better electrical outlet/plug standard.
Bow down to the superior AS/NZS 3112

Attached: 20150302232322352235.jpg (825x213, 76K)

The only reason Yurop is on 220V is because they couldn't afford the copper needed for higher-amperage rated wires, so they used 220V, which could use thinner wires with more insulation.

Attached: 1200px-Relations_between_New_SI_units_definitions.svg.png (1200x1200, 99K)

Literally every unit is defined by the SI units, you retard.

Nobody is forcing you to use them
>doesn't understand units
So what?

>northern Japan
It's the sticks up there.

I'm using 110V 60Hz, powers american and japanese electronics just fine with no converter.
My AC runs on 220V.

With more and more electronics shipping with full range converters built in, anything between 100~240V is becoming an non issue.

Higher voltage = less power loss throughout the wire.

Those aren't even round pins which makes no sense electrically or mechanically, it's just good for manufacturing as it was 100 years ago. And it is fuckhuge with obviously worse properties since it's not a hexagonal or comparable plug. And then it's even part of a UK tier electrical installation with a fuse in every socket?

Back to engineering kindergarten with whoever decided on this crap. Let the IEC experts design standard plugs.

this and 220v
everything else is retard

Attached: tomada-macho-3-pinos-10a-250v-margirius-.jpg (1192x900, 99K)

Superior plug coming through. Make way pluglets.

Attached: three-pin-2-500x500.jpg (500x500, 46K)

>We still have 240 feeding into the house
So a burger actually could throw another line or splice the stove wires and have an electric kettle?
Neat.

Or he could use a 110V electric kettle

Indeed.

Attached: hZ0P5DdqSwto.jpg (811x408, 67K)

1 flow of current is mostly concentrated in the skin and is highly unpredictable.
2 getting zapped by 240 is not certain death instakill. At worst you will get fibrilated and require CPR.
3 CASUATIES when working with household electrics are not anywhere near a significant number.
People die in high voltage industrial areas where 20KV would zap you without even have to touch it or if a wire.
4 it actually depends on how you get zapped. If you touch the live and neutral with one hand you probably gonna be fine, if you touch them with different hands you will get current across your body and that is unhealthy

My dad got shocked with 240 a couple times, said got fibrilated once but walked (rather laid) it off in a couple seconds.
Then got drunk and implored me to try and touch the live wire saying its gonas be fine, to which i politely refused.

I personally zapped myself with 660 when making a diy gauss gun, if it went across my body from the left hand to right i would probably die, but i just zapped across fingers on one hand and i felt nothing but the smell of burnt flesh. Didnt even hurt.

They generally use a different plug though. I guess you could put whatever plug you wanted on it, but it wouldn't be up to code.

Most houses have 240V outlets installed in the basement or laundry room for running clothes dryers. I think people that want to charge electric cars at home usually get 240V wired to their garage as well.

The lion does not concern itself with the opinions of the sheep.

Those are low power. Unless your wiring handles 40A which i highly doubt.

Thats the reason burgers actually microwave water instead.

120v sucks when you need something actually powerful.
>Want a space heater?
>Thsts 20-30 Amp alone
You would need some real thick wires in your house for that

I've had plenty of 10-12A space heaters, they all worked great

Electric kettles work fine on 120v. Actually, most of my experience with them is in Japan, on their even lower 100v, and they still boil a pot of water in less than five minutes or so.

The microwaving water thing isn't that common as far as I'm aware, I'd never even heard of it until I was an adult and I've lived in the US my whole life. Boiling water on its own isn't as common here to begin with, since most people drink coffee instead of tea and use a dedicated coffee machine for that, and people who do boil water generally use a stovetop kettle.

Everyone I know that makes ramen noodles uses the microwave for it. Same with hot chocolate

They invented electricity. Why does the rest of the world go against God's will?

north american mains AC uses 120V RMS single-phase for residential distribution because it was built out before most other worldwide systems.

230v can carry more power (watts = volts * amps) with the same diameter of wire. multi-phase AC uses additional conductors to supply multiple sine waves, that are offset a little bit, so that it's FAR easier to use them for motors (i.e. a conveyor belt, a pulley, a saw, grinder, lathe, mill, fan, etc.)

for this reason, even in america, industrial and sometimes commercial spaces are given 240/480vac 3-phase hookups

there are arguments in favor of each -- it might be marginally more convenient for the whole world to use one standard (when is THAT ever not true?) but the stuff like "people are retarded for not doing it this way" is mostly a lot of hot air from people trying to be better than each other on the internet

t. actual engineer

Attached: sonthisis.png (625x656, 57K)

>For a human body the resistance is fixed

Attached: woj.png (134x117, 15K)

Fear of change

>I personally zapped myself with 660 when making a diy gauss gun, if it went across my body from the left hand to right i would probably die
Only if it has enough amps, also what kind of faggot calls a stungun a gauss gun.