Stable is perfect for servers

>Stable is perfect for servers
>Testing is perfect for desktop users
>Unstable is perfect for people that want to learn about their systems and how to fix them
Install Debian user

Attached: QejMA3f.jpg.png (3840x2160, 2.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/testing/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I use Arch
blue is Arch color
Rem is Arch mascot
Debianigger

Debian already had "blue" before arch came out of his creator's balls user

I don't want to use an inferior distro like Debian when GuixSD gives me better stability and up to date software at the same time.

Based thread.
Ever since i was a teen i hated bloatware. I knew it was bullshit but normal people don't care about learning. They don't care.

But i do, so i got into gnu/linux cause i know what going on in the backround and i can build my system from scratch without bloatware.

debian.org/CD/netinst/

Arch is for niggers and their wiki is shit.

>Testing is perfect for desktop users
Why are debian people so fucking clueless?

Are you fucking retarded? Testing is perfect for desktop use. Honestly i have no idea what desktop means at this point cause i use dwm. Lel

best distro desu

debian has no official color, red was just the stretch color isn't?
>stable is perfect for sjws
>testing is for broken packages
>unstable is just fuck my shit up
ftfy
no, unironically I wish testing was good for desktops, I'm on fedora right now, I don't like using the stable kernel, the LTS versions are better.
I think packages are better splitted on debian at least for gnome as I remember going as low as 400MB at boot on stable. I think I even got better battery than on fedora which has newer kernel optimizations.
But there are times in which testing is not enough, once we stayed 2 weeks straight without firefox 60 while 52 LTS was EOL, though I don't know if it had security vulnerabilities at the moment, but Debian will always be behind on security compared to fedora and debian stable because of the minimum 2 day window from unstable

>literally tranny os

>systemdingalongadingdong
>apt
Those two things alone make me feel like pic related.

Attached: sick.jpg (768x480, 83K)

you are stupid. debian testing uses firefox esr but you can just download the binary from the firefox website and extract it. it autoupdates, which is the point of using the package manager for it

the only desktop os that can compete with debian testing is arch but it breaks more often. debian testing never breaks, provided you keep updating your packages often (if you spend too long without updating, then once you update it might break something). but then if you're not gonna update shit, just use stable

>debian testing never breaks, provided you keep updating your packages often

This. When i was on a minimal install of debian, i didn't update it for a month and it kinda fucked up some shit.

Updating couple times a week is optimal just to make sure

>OpenSUSE Leap is perfect for desktops you don't want to update
>SLES is perfect for servers
>OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is perfect for advanced users

Install OpenSUSE now.

Attached: 676.jpg (900x600, 42K)

Ubuntu is all 3 of these, user.

Attached: IMG_20190303_190647.jpg (794x722, 40K)

>stable is perfect for servers
>stable is also perfect for up-to-date desktops
>rawhide is perfect for people that want to learn about their systems and how to fix them
Install Fedora now.

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

sorry I use gentoo also stretch fucking sucks and buster is going to be a fucking disaster

why? don't say systemd

>updating after some time breaks your shit meme
that is not true, if that happens it's because the update was shit. it doesn't matter if you update once a day or once a month, the latest packages on the mirrors should be an image that works flawlessly no matter what.
Just don't be stupid and think

foo(n) 1.0: update daily to day 30 -> 1.0-6
vs.
foo(n) 1.0: update in day 30 -> 1.0-6
the final result is the same for every package foo(n), given that you restart the programs after upgrading there is absolute no difference. if it shits the bed it's because the maintainers are retarded.
You saying yourself that it broke because you skipped updates just proofs that testing breaks everytime, not only when you wait long to upgrade.
if anything, upgrading less gives you the less problems since you have less probabilities of fucking up with a different package.
That is the same arch mental gymnastics justifying that it breaks; "dude just upgrade every day so it doesn't brake". Bullshit.
I actually want to use testing but apparently is shit, thanks for the fact

Imagine not using arch for desktop and Ubuntu server for server

systemd

Yeah, I can imagine and can tell you that it's a fact that many people use neither since neither are optimal for desktop use or server.

Compare getfedora and debian.org
I'll stick with debian.

I know, the debian page is more aesthetic, fedora looks like webdev zoomershit but that's now how I choose my distro. I wish debian was better since it has fuck way more packages

>fedora looks like webdev zoomershit but that's now how I choose my distro.

Thats how i choose my distro nigger. Arch's site is fucking gay as well

>A distro with tons of people, arguably the biggest distro of Linux
>Blames the distro for a couple burgerland sjws that get triggered by certain words
You can always use a distro that only 10 people use, that way you won't be affected. Caring this much about a few pieces of shit that makes not want to use something that is good is pretty sad.

just overall instabillity. I've come across way too many bugs than I should have using it. I don't even hate debian because it was the first distro I ever used and I loved how nothing ever crashed or gave me errors but recently they've been going to shit and it's concerning

it's not so simple retard-kun. it goes like this
version 10 - a
version 20 - b
version 30 - c
if you're in version 10, update to 20, and then 30, the program correctly converts from a to b and then c. if you're in version 10 and update to 30, it might not know how to convert a to c and break

sucks but it is what it is. they do it for free. this doesn't happen in stable because things are better tested.

Except debian isn't good, that's why endless forks exists.

No, it has endless forks because they're simple debian with tweaked DE's ready to work right away. They're all debian for lazy people or people tired of configuring stuff after install a minimal net install. Ubuntu, Mint, MX, are all inferior to Debian.

>Used by Nasa
>Used by multiple companies all over the world
>I-it's shit because it has a thousand forks
It has a thousand forks because it works and people are lazy to come up with new distros instead of distros based on something. That's why I appreciate Void and Solus, they're actually distros and not copy pastes with a few tweaks in your DE.

under what criteria are they inferior?

Not as stable, not as secure, usually frankendebians which will result in broken packages sooner or later, etc.
I shouldn't have put MX there, it's actually real debian stable with some GUI tools. Ubuntu and Mint are clearly inferior to Debian in stability and security.

no, that's your mind on the debian sjw CoCk.
a goes to c without any problems the same way uninstalled program goes to installed. the dependencies are the same and each individual package gets upgraded to the latest version.
a to c is as broken as a to b to c.

>Not as stable
Source?
>not as secure
Source?
>frankendebians which will result in broken packages sooner or later
Any article that shows Ubuntu breaks more than Debian?

I'm not familiar with mx linux but any distro which is forked from debian and doesn't just use the same repositories as debian plus an extra for its additional tools it's automatically shit. That's linux mint. Ubuntu kind of maintains its packages on their own, but still it's shit because they relay on the broken piece of shit testing is, like why don't they just package from upstream and maintain them themselves? oh right because they are expecting debian to solve half of their problems

Pretty much. If Debian ever died, all these distros would die too. That's why I don't understand people using the retarded children of Debian instead of Debian. I can see how a real newbie would prefer Mint over Debian but after 3 months there's no fears jumping to Debian

I use arch btw

but i am using debian for servers, for my personal use arch exclusively

how do you install packages that don't make it to the official repos?
do you guys use a similar system like arch does?

I did and I spent most of my time either finding AppImages, Flatpaks, adding shit to the source list or compiling from source. With Arch based distros I can just find stuff in the AUR and boom. Ultimate lazy mode. I use Debian for servers where its focus is.

inb4 faggy "MAHGAHD THE AUR IS BAD CUZ MALWARE" when the same fag probably trusts PPA maintainers or is some ultimate neckbeard that uses a twm and faps to trannies and Stallman

Give me an example negro

If it's not in the official repos, google it and you may find the .deb file to install. If not, install the package from source. You can also had repos to your sources.list.d folder that offer things that aren't on their official repos(like Lutris for instance),

Debian doesn't support PPAs, it's just Ubuntu and whatever shit is based on it.

Sorry, Debian is too difficult to install.

Attached: 124299-004-225EA56D.jpg (201x300, 7K)

20 years ago maybe. Not now

Stable with a handful of Flatpaks is perfect for everyone. /Thread

Are flatpacks better than snapd?

I prefer appImages

So appImages > flatpacks > snapd?

Yeah, for me.

I can’t wait unix guixsd supports lvm and luks. It’s also the most actively developed FSF approved distribution.

It is up for debate. Last I checked snap still has issues with their sandboxing, Canonical's contributor licence agreement is shit, and snap seems to be pushing for proprietary software on Ubuntu (which is beneficial for Canonical but seems like it would be bad for open source in general)

>Canonical creating its own incompatible special snowflake version of something which will eventually be dropped
Where have I heard that story before?

You're being alarmist. Mir and Unity are still going strong.

Mir as its own display protocol is dead; Mir essentially became a Wayland compositor library. There is absolutely no reason to use the Mir protocol.
You're also forgetting upstart.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, a cult, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU cult.

Using testing in production seems like a bad idea due to the delay on security updates.
You test testing if you're preparing in advance for migration to the next version of Debian stable, but otherwise stable or unstable make more sense.

Without a good desktop environment, no way.

yes

>systemd

>any version of Linux
>good for desktop users
lol ebin meme

The only thing systemd distros are perfect for is the trash bin.

what package manager do you think is good?

rem a best

I use Ubanto because nvidia, wifi, and codecs right out of the box.

prettyhappy.jpeg

I've used Ubuntu on and off for years. Except for Ubuntu MATE, it's gone way downhill from 18.04 onwards. Finally just switched to Debian Stable a month ago and beyond muh gaems it's flawless.

If you want a real newbie distro, I would actually recommend LMDE. Not even regular Mint. LMDE you can learn a real Debian system and have a better transition versus Ubuntu.

Never ever.

I reaaaaaalllllly like xbps.
Portage wasn't bad either.
Hell, I even liked pacman better than apt.

I dunno, these are just my personal preferences. (´~`)

Attached: 吉川ちなつ_003.gif (480x270, 787K)

What's the best guide for (professional) Debian admin? Book or online, both is fine.

>Stable is perfect for pretending you are accomplishing something by hunting down drivers and manually compiling the latest software
>Testing is perfect for using wanting to use Ubuntu but pretending you're superior
>Unstable is perfect for people that want to pretend they're smart by breaking things on purpose
Honesty there's really no reason to use Debian when Arch, Ubuntu, and Gentoo exist.

Want something for a server? Any of those 3 can do the job fine. Desktop? Same. Want to learn how to use Linux? Install Gentoo in a VM. Autistic tranny niggers want to feel special.

But can I get a job with the skillz from doobian?

I have Debian Stable on my home server and Debian Unstable on my Thinkpad. Pretty comfy. I don't even want to distrohop anymore.

Attached: 1510887836148.png (1100x700, 803K)

But user gentoo is for people who pretend they're accomplishing something by hunting down drivers and manually compiling the latest software, and Arch is for people who want to pretend they're smart by breaking things on purpose. Is your brain working upside down? Why are you trying to put those traits on Debian and pretend you aren't trying to feel special by using multiple unnecessary distros.

>Honesty there's really no reason to use Debian when Arch, Ubuntu, and Gentoo exist.
More like there's no reason to use any of those when Debian already exists. Well, except Gentoo since it can be customized for anyone no matter their requirements. Now if Debian would drop systemd there wouldn't even be a reason to avoid it because of that.

Except Debian is much lighter than ubuntu, so objectively superior to it.

Debian is light enough that it uses half the memory of bloatarch and the same as gentoo.

based

Imagine choosing a distro based on which graphic web designers they hired.

It tells you something about the distro and its community. I learned to judge a book by its covers.

Me2 user

How many packages do you have in the Unstable branch? Maybe you haven't experienced any bugs because you have fewer packages?
I use my computer for work (1400 packages installed) and I feel tempted to upgrade to testing.

the absolute state of nu/g/
>I literally shamelessly judge books by their covers

You learn to make judgements from indicators. If a website looks faggy, the distro and community is probably not really good. Otherwise they'd care more.

I've literally never had anything other than problems

>Packages: 2554
I think you're safe

Flatpak will keep you current

tranny here
i use bunsenlabs so i guess you're kind of right

What can xbps do that apt can't? I think void is a fine distro but never saw the appeal of their package manager.

>Stable is perfect for pretending you are accomplishing something by hunting down drivers and manually compiling the latest software
>hunting down drivers
Takes 1 minute in the command line. Get your memes out of here.

Based

>community-driven
>bloat sjw trash

>Bloat sjw trash
>99.9% of the community hates the CoC and the few sjws in the anti harassement team
Fuck off

>Using testing in production seems like a bad idea due to the delay on security updates.
This.
>debian.org/releases/testing/
>Please note that security updates for "testing" distribution are not yet managed by the security team. Hence, "testing" does not get security updates in a timely manner.

Also, Debian is bloated Systemd cucked trash. At least install Devuan, or better, Slackware.

> At least install Devuan
Sorry, but I can handle apt-pinning.

I use debian stable for my base stuff and just install pakages that I want to have up to date from arch or void.

it's good, op

let me see some emails, desu weboob was stupid. Ok weboob has retarded names, but like one team alone deleted the package, mostly nobody else intervened