/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1456975574240.jpg (599x769, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/TsApyKKH
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Fedora

second for billy

Attached: Bill-Gates.jpg (610x771, 76K)

Fedora is a perfectly fine, respectable distro. I approve.

Are these paid posts?

I wish. Most of my pro-Fedora posting comes on the form of bashing apt for being shit, and people ask fewer stupid questions when I tell them to use Fedora instead of telling them to use e.g opensuse or slackware.

What makes you think that apt is bad? In my experience apt only got its bad reputation because mostly beginners use apt systems - and beginners usually fuck things up (adding random repos, ppas, don't read manuals, etc). IMHO apt is a fine package manager.

Seventh for Minty freshness

It never gave me anything but trouble when trying to upgrade between versions of Ubuntu, to the point where I just quit using it. If your package management is obnoxious to the point where fresh reinstalls are easier than in-place upgrades, it's super flawed. It's fine for simple use, but totally falls flat on the larger scale stuff in my experience.

Granted, it may be better now than it was 3-4 years ago, but I haven't heard anything suggesting it is.

>and people ask fewer stupid questions when I tell them to use Fedora
thats because they dismiss your advice immediately and move on

based

found the troll

It's okay if you wan't to do fucky workarounds to watch live streams since it doesn't ship with the capability. Even the chromium binary is compiled without support.

>install game in vanilla wine instance
>it just works
WINE is really good nowadays

Attached: 1548816662223.jpg (708x717, 151K)

What the fuck are you talking about?

html5 h264 video IDIOT

>IDIOT
calm your asshole you lying faggot
>Fedora 29
>FF65 works
>Ungoogled Chromium 72 works
Again why are you spreading lies?

So what does Mint bring to the table that you don't get with Ubuntu already, if you dont care about the Cinnamon DE?.

Even less security

>FF65
No it doesn't work ootb
>ungoogled chromium
installing things from outside the stock repos is a fucky workaround

tfw (that feeling when) I've now been running the same Manjaro install for over 4 years with 0 issues

Attached: 1549329732152.png (500x500, 26K)

Is mpv not compiled with youtube-dl support on Fedora? I can't imagine why anybody would watch videos in-browser.

I'll not argue about nonstock, but again why are you lying? It works. What reason would they even have to exclude h264 support?

Using mpv or vlc anytime you want to watch a livestream or any video is fucking stupid.

How so? More comfortable and better performance than using the browser. Dead easy to invoke from terminal with 'mpv "www.mystream.com/mystream"'.

>tfw I've been getting a little better each day at learning GNU/Linux and am proud of myself.

Attached: 1544198155987m.jpg (858x1024, 52K)

Alright, I got it to work. I ran into trouble when passing in a file with exclamation marks in it. Using single quotes causes it to work, but qBittorrent only works if I pass the file in with double-quotes. Are exclamation marks something I only have to worry about in interactive mode or will I have trouble with oddly named files (ones with '@' and '!' in the name)?

>What reason would they even have to exclude h264 support?
Because it isn't in line with their philosophy. Something about being proprietary which is why chromium is compiled without support at all. You can get firefox to work with poorly performing open implementations of h264 codecs but it sucks.

Just clicking a link in browser on one my designated video monitor is infinitely more convenient.

>How so? More comfortable and better performance than using the browser. Dead easy to invoke from terminal with 'mpv "www.mystream.com/mystream"'.

Sure instead of just clicking this link let me copy the video url, bring up my terminal, type mpv ctrl+shift+v, enter, then adjust where I want it and if I want to use a browser on two monitors I have to switch programs instead of just switching the tab.

Attached: 1529533044514.jpg (1024x1001, 58K)

i love doing this and it works

i do this because firefox won't play sound without pulseaudio

If you do this regularly, it's trivial to key it to a hotkey using e.g xclip (to read your keyboard) and xbindkeys, and you should have your WM configured to show mpv on the proper monitor without having to manually move it.

So how are you passing the stuff? "!" and "@" are special characters you need to either escape a la "\!" or write in single quotes when you're typing them manually. Inside scripts they should cause no problems.

qBittorrent 3.3.1 using the "Run external program on torrent completion" option.

You're gonna have to be more specific

Using this screen in qBittorrent. It'll automatically run after the download is finished.
Link to script: pastebin.com/TsApyKKH

Don't know how much more specific I can be.

Attached: 1551722296.png (792x618, 84K)

Attached: 1511123009115.jpg (600x600, 265K)

Isn't Mint just Ubuntu, pissed and shat on and painted green? What's the benefit over Ubuntu?

Based freetard hobo

What is the best font for reading ebooks?

Attached: 1531946161180.png (494x462, 11K)

It's Ubuntu for fans of mint chocolate flavored ice cream.

Isn't Ubuntu just Debian, pissed and shat on and painted orange? What's the benefit over Debian?

Is Gentoo friendly enough for this thread?

Ah, you see I don't have qbittorrent installed and didn't get how you were passing the arg

Bash escaping is living hell, so names with special characters could cause problems there. It looks like qbittorrent is taking your command as a string, bluntly replacing %F with the filename and executing it. But what if the filename contains quotes? Or special characters? Since the command is passed around as a string the characters of the file names won't get properly escaped and will get confused with special characters. At least that's my take on it. Maybe there's a way to get the name elsewhere, or some cool bash way to escape absolutely everything

It's actually comfy as fuck
>copy url
>hit hotkey
>watch stream while shitposting

Redpilled and based

Hey guys. I run Debian Sid, and I'm attempting to install OBS through a snap package, since I was told it bundles in support for Hardware Encoding (NVENC) for Nvidia cards, so you don't have to custom compile ffmpeg for it.

However, after doing snap run obs-studio

I get hit with

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error: GLXBadContext
Request Major code 151 (GLX)
Request Minor code 6 ()
Error Serial #54
Current Serial #53

From my initial searching, it seems to be an issue with the snap's OpenGL being linked to the wrong library, since I'm using propietary NVIDIA Drivers from Debian Sid, and those may be different from the ones on Ubuntu (?)

Been trying to fix it through a LD_LIBRARY_PATH declaration before the snap run command, didn't work.

And yes, I know there's a package for obs-studio on Debian Sid already, but that one doesn't support hardware encoding. I also already tried doing the whole compiling ffmpeg with the nvenc flag but there's some issue with CUDA upstream right now apparently.

So, wat do? Please help

Attached: 1547274246685.jpg (539x751, 42K)

Attached: 1551724264072.png (599x769, 419K)

>snap
Stop

Sure, but we seem to be having less problems overall.

It was my last choice, like I mention in my post. I first tried the native package from the Sid repos. I then tried to custom compile ffmpeg to support NVENC, but CUDA has an issue upstream. So I'm left with having to deal with snap, at least as a temporary measure

If you want to use canonical's poorly-run shit, do it in canonical's distro. If it still doesn't work there, bitch at upstream. If it does work, bitch at upstream to complain that their supposedly self-contained solution isn't self-contained at all.

But you haven't exhausted appimages, guix, nix and flatpak yet, plus I guess you could run another distro in a vm or container.

Just tested it out and it worked. Guessing special characters work differently in non-interactive mode. Haven't tried it on anything that has a '@' in it yet.

QBittorrent might be smart enough to be escaping those special chars already

Nigger I dare you, don't put guix and nix into the same pot as appsnappackcrap.

I don't want to, user. It just seems like the only way I'll get OBS with Hardware encoding running, so that's what I'm going for

Found none of these that actually have hardware encoding support with NVENC built into them - and running another distro in a vm/container just for OBS seems like an overkill measure

Has anyone gotten OBS with NVENC to run on their system? And what did you do to get it running? I'm just wondering if there's still hope I can stream with good framerates and low CPU usage.

Attached: 1520411259844.jpg (324x451, 14K)

I didn't put it in the same category as snap. Appimages got few flaws, and flatpak might be salvageable and useful enough for a workaround.

>I don't want to take the step that can help me determine where the problem actually lies

Ok. Sucks to be you.

I don't think you understood me. I meant "I don't want to use Snap, but it seems like I have no other practical choice". And going off to install Ubuntu just to check if one program runs well (which it does, because some Ubuntu users confirmed it worked for them to me) doesn't seem like the course of action here

Helpful: telling whats better
Not helpful: insults

> what did you do to get it running?
Have drivers configured.
Set USE nvenc.
Emerge obs-studio.

Not gonna help much unless you are on Gentoo.

You are indeed correct, this does not help, but thank you for your intentions

I did list some options in .

You might also want to use proprietary nvidia drivers or something in case this happens to be an OpenGL issue rather than some issue with libGL or such.

I nothing else helps, you could still try other distros or use the Gentoo ebuilds as supplementary reference on how to compile OBS from source on your distro.

If you're not willing to go deal with the maintainer of the package or switch distros to the only one where snaps actually get attention, then there's nothing you can do except wait for whatever's blocking your own compilation efforts from being resolved.

"I don't want to" in response to "you should try X, and contact the people with the actual power to fix it" is similarly unhelpful.

>recommending appimages and proprietary drivers
Urgh

After installing fedora, my laptop starts and automatically shuts down after the “Acer” logo. When this first happened, it would start again, redirect me to BIOS, and I would exit and saving changes, and the next boot it would magically work; except it would redirect me to the grub menu and the default option the Grub menu had picked was “System setup,” so id have to select fedora instead. At first I suspected the default setting was the issue, so I installed grub customized and selected the fedora boot entry as the default. However, after this change, every boot fails after the Acer screen. I used a USB to change it back and it still won’t boot!
System setup:
LUKS encryptes BTRFS home folder
UEFI
Secure Boot was enabled when installed
Acer Laptop
Never had issues this bad with Linux before.

I am using propietary nvidia drivers, like I mentioned in the original post. Like I mentioned, I tried using LD_LIBRARY_PATH and syslinks to get it to recognize the openGL library I guess the snap is expecting, but isn't finding.

From the error message, it just seems like an issue of libGL not finding the proper library

I did not say "I don't want to" to your suggestion of contacting maintainers, I said "I don't want to" use snap.

I already tried this, again as I mention, ffmpeg can't be compiled with nvenc support (I already tried) because of a problem upstream with CUDA 10.

How can I remap CapsLock+WASD to behave like arrow keys?

Appimages are cool with this guy and unintrusive:
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects

Proprietary drivers are possibly simply required unless you replace hardware.

Attached: linus-torvalds.jpg (794x795, 163K)

dumb linus poster

>ffmpeg can't be compiled with nvenc support
Maybe not 4.1.1, but 3.4.5 should work, no?

Use either the KDE shortcut settings or xbindkeys to map key combinations into running xte or xdotool or xvkbd to send the keys you wish.

If you're a newbie, good fucking luck

Actually, the KDE settings panel might be enough to do everything you need, just bind something-w to Up, etc.

Ah wait, it now requires ffmpeg-4. I see. Yep, I guess the only hope would be that they fixed it on git or something, or using an older version.

Linus shouldn't be a quality sign. Except for kernel development he's prertty much a brainlet.

Is there an infographic or something with an overview how much and which company or person.contributed so far to the linux kernel?

should i use bash zsh or fish?

Attached: 1551726656795.jpg (435x539, 90K)

Learn the standard shell (bash) and if you need special fetishes after that, look around.

Try both? Zsh typically with oh my zsh or zprezto.

I favor fish for normal interactive use because of the comfortable defaults and best autocompletion I've seen, but I still keep bash around for scripting purposes since fish isn't posix-compliant and 99% of scripts are written for either bash specifically or generic posix compliant sh generally.

Cool, didn't know about that feature of KDE. Is it possible to use Caps both for this little trick with arrows and as compose key?

Possibly, but I can't tell. If the settings panel doesn't recognize caps+a as a key combo then you'll need to either use alt+a for example or dive into xbindkeys.

i dont wanna use wine
i just wanna use steam for my games thats enough
but my games dont work even with proton forced on them
wat do

Only retards use stupid frameworks
> loads of MacOS shit
> aliases you don't use
> functions you don't understand
> but luckily you get a colored PS1 ootb

Isn't bash just the "old stuff" fetish? I get it's a quasi-standard if you write shell scripts (arguably some also prefer to just write them against sh so it works on csh, mksh, dash, ...).

But there's no particular advantage in not using fish or zsh with extensions for interactive use from the start.

based and mintpilled

Please help

Bash is the standard shell.

Dont trust these people!
>Germany
>Italy
literally the axis of evil!

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-04 Manjaro - #Professional Linux at its best .png (1140x426, 144K)

Attached: 1551727975581.png (720x975, 357K)

Keep it up, user!

Jow Forums BTFO

> aliases you don't use
> functions you don't understand
Well yea, but then you'd not just not use BASH, fish or zsh.

You'd probably use mksh or dash or such if you were really worried about these. This doesn't really bother many though.

> but luckily you get a colored PS1 ootb
I just actually use the distro themeing on zprezto. It has a lot of other features like the better completions for paths or commands, automatic conditional running of tmux, syntax highlighting and so on.

Some of this stuff also can be done on bash, but you'll probably actually be doing more configuration.

> loads of MacOS shit
Nah, not loaded.

>Reich

Bookerly

Thanks, will try.

I would disable secure boot and any BIOS related settings ("CSM" or "Legacy"). Make sure it's a pure EFI boot.

Also disable things like quick boot, boot logos etc so you can actually see what's going on at boot time.