I have a Thinkpad, but I don't get the Thinkpad hype here

I have a Thinkpad, but I don't get the Thinkpad hype here.

Their screen is usually dogshit, and they are not that durable. After some years, the keyboard keys start to get shiny and gross. The coating on their lids starts getting sticky and fall off.

As I have said, I have one and I like it. But they are not built to last, and, if they do, whoever designed them with that black coating was retarded.

Attached: 45783cb79d_02.jpg (1024x768, 101K)

How do I unsubscribe from your blog?

not sure what you're doing to yours, but the coating on my thinkpad is fine, the keyboard is fine (and easily replaceable if it does get gross), and nothing has really worn out any quicker than on other laptops

Because they're about $100. It's what you get for the value.

>Because they're about $100
A new Thinkpad is around $1500.

If you buy a new thinkpad you're retarded and are missing the point. No one here thinks new thinkpads are good value.

>new

Attached: mi.png (959x630, 68K)

I was given one for my job in 2009.
You should never have to pay for a laptop, really.

They're cheap, easily upgradeable and serviceable, have great Linux and Libreboot/Coreboot support and a shit load of ports. The only damage you can practically do is to crack the corners of the chassis and even then, replacement will cost no more than 10 bucks. All and all Thinkpads are great and rn there's nothing better on the market than an X230.

>I have a Thinkpad
what year is it from? The "hype" on this board for thinkpads is pretty much only for the older ones before they switches to the chiclet style keyboard.

>Their screen is usually dogshit
yeah this is true, but you can swap them out sometimes for better screens.
>not that durable
hard disagree here, especially when you compare them to other laptops.
>the keyboard keys start to get shiny and gross
this happens with every laptop too and it's just because they generally use cheap ABS keycaps.
>coating on their lids starts getting sticky
another thing I've never seen/experienced. I have an x220 from 2011 and there are no issues with the coating.

checked

That's like telling someone a used Civic isn't good value because you're Father is willing to buy you a new Mercedes.

The basis of tpg is people buying cheap used laptops for personal use that provide good value for money spent.

This isn't /tpg/.

I agree with most of that (but i dont think any of it is a problem) but
>not that durable
???
>a laptop that has endured abuse from retarded businessmen/moms/stacies that never clean or maintain them for ~10 years isnt durable
are you fucking retarded?

I picked up a new, open box ThinkPad A485 on ebay for $500. So glad I didn't buy it from Lenovo for $1k+ when they first launched like I was planning on doing.

based
cringe, also tell us what model you have so we can bully you even further. That's what you want isn't it?

he probably has a L or E series kek

They are shit unless you want some nostalgic retro computing experience trip. They were never the best laptop even back then, and now they're a complete joke. Total Chinese spyware shit.

But they were never the best. Only people who owned them back in the 90s/early 00s have any sort of affection for them. Other just see them as another generic chunky early 00s "bizness" laptop.

They have a literal clit, for fuck sake.

>They have a literal clit
>this is somehow a bad thing
fag

Only autists who will never be near a real one would want one on a laptop. Also it was shit for navigation - its sole purpose. Anything other than a MacBook trackpad is absolute shit-tier in laptops. And that was true even back then.

The HP business laptops are way better than Thinkpads. They are as easy to repair, you can buy them cheap, and they are made of aluminium.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x927, 139K)

I have a T420, which is considered the last of the "decent" ones, and, if I could, I would have bought the HP that someone posted before.

Maybe their keyboard is not as good as the one on the Thinkpads, but they look way more robust.

yes, and no. from experience working at a shitty computer store I can say from experience that they are easy to take apart but finding parts is a massive bitch. A lot of the parts are sliiightly different between models so if you need some gay shit off like a 8460 and you have an 8470 or some shit it has a slightly different X so it wont fit. Every time i've worked on a thinkpad it's been "okay so i need X and this other random thinkpad has X. fuck me sideways, it works!" Plus, everyone and their uncle has a thinkpad so its even easier to get.
>t. bought my thinkpad for $20
this is subjective but, i feel like thinkpads have more character. The HP laptops are kind of boring desu. If HP Elitebooks were more common and used keyboards similar to the thinkpad keys (the classic ones) i'd buy one.

works4me wontfix

I've had my T430 fall onto concrete and all that broke was part of the chassis on the bottom. Easily replaced as well.

op is complaining about /tpg/

Thinkpads are strictly utilitarian. I bought two to tune my race car. They are built like brick shithouses, the T series are. I have an R61e which is a backup and a T30 which handles most of the tuning, on a Megasquirt MS2PNP and an Innovate LC2 wideband. I went with the T30 because it has a built-in serial port and I bought a PCMCIA serial card so I can have two serial ports in a compact package. Plus Renault F1 team used IBM Thinkpads to tune their race cars, so muh racing pedigree. They have draconian driver support, you can go to their legacy page and still find drivers for 486-era models.

My main go to is a cracked-out Latitude E6520 though.

I have Sandy Bridge version of that (8460p) and I don't really like it. Bad keyboard and crappy TN screen even if it is 900p. I much prefer x220 with IPS and proper keyboard.

Also my 8460p stopped charging battery.

>last of the decent ones
maybe back in 2016, but now it's just an old piece of shit
xx50 gen is now the usable standard, only autists go older than that.
>t. T530 autist

Maxed out T430 and X230 user since 2016 here, i'd say they are still more than enough for web browsing, uni workflow, light multimedia editing, emulators, running small scripts and simulations. I'll probably get an i5 X250 by early 2020 when they'll be cheaper, and I expect that to be usable for a long time.

I gave my brother a T440 as a present in january, and I'd say I still prefer my old T420 to that flimsy one, its horrendous clickpad and its limited upgrade potential. Honestly an i5 T420 is still very good for shitposting and most normie tasks, provided you run gahnoo slash linuccs.

I got a t480s and it has a 1440p screen, not bad desu

unlike you, your brother is not confused for a terrorist when he uses his x240 in public

>unlike you, your brother is not confused for a terrorist when he uses his x240 in public
Wat

you really think people see you as a normal person when you open that massive black box?

Attached: lesmuganimefaceatincredblyhihgrez.jpg (2296x2464, 285K)

> Paying for HP garbage ever

Delusional

>being this autistic

see >1

People don't care

I'd rather have a Thinkpad with a gross coating and shiny keys than a faggot Macbook or a stupid Dell or HP.

this is why you don't have success with women

I'm married already.
You really think most people care about what laptop you use? The only people that actually do are shallow teenage girls and autists from here. Your average person literally does not care at all.

nice LARPing faggot

desu!

Yeah, the meme was always to buy a referb. I used to do that before I started getting laptops for free from work.

I hate it. Every think pad I've bought has has problems. I prefer my MacBook