What do you call it when you try to copy a competitor but you only make it worse?

What do you call it when you try to copy a competitor but you only make it worse?

Attached: samsung_s10___leaks.0.jpg (1200x800, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

source.android.com/compatibility/android-cdd.html#7_5_cameras
cnet.com/news/lg-g7-iphone-x-notch/
youtube.com/watch?v=atxY5xHK1TQ
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2018&chk35mm=selected&sDisplayTechs=2&idDisplayNotch=1
twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1102257098044321799
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Android!

O-oh wait! Samsung.

pulling a Cupertino

have they considered not adding a front facing camera to the phone?

I don't know who thought that hole punch was a good idea. At least with most other android notches you can cover it pretty seamlessly with a black bar on top of the screen.

Wait I change my mind. The answer's Windows, isn't it?

I wish this was a thing.

>have they considered not adding a front facing camera to the phone?
Zoomers and women need to take selfies constantly so that will never happen.

iPhone 6 was the last good iPhone. the entire industry is now a worthless oligopoly that won't produce anything of value for the next few decades

iphone se is more recent and better than 6

how about periscope attachment to utilize back camera as a front camera as well?

go be a clueless zoomer somewhere else

Attached: iphone 6.jpg (1200x900, 63K)

>how about periscope attachment to utilize back camera as a front camera as well?
Some are experimenting with that, but I can't see it taking off.
It would need some kind of spring/sliding action to bring it up and anything mechanical like that would break after a year of frequent usage. That and zoomers don't understand that kind of tech. They just want a button on the screen to press.
The best option would be a tiny top bezel with a tiny front camera.

it's not that bad
>pre-ordering today
$650 S10

>At least with most other android notches you can cover it pretty seamlessly with a black bar on top of the screen.
As you can cover the display hole too

Bro, the hole punch is the worst interpretation of the notch that I've seen.
Samsung already does that stupid curved screen shit (though the S10e thankfully goes back to a flat screen).
You know it's bad when all of Samsung's advertising for the s10 has wallpapers with a dark corner in the top right to hide the hole.

i like it

>As you can cover the display hole too
The black bar they use is huge and hole punch itself is really big so it's not really a seamless blend in.
It's just a bad idea, no matter who you cut it.

How is it any worse than a notch? This is literally the most efficient use of space that can be obtained with the current technology.

display hole > notch, prove me wrong

>How is it any worse than a notch? This is literally the most efficient use of space that can be obtained with the current technology.
The hole punch is pretty big, bigger than the most of the widest notches. So covering it up with a black bar (which is what I would do) leaves you with a ginormous black bar on the top.
Without covering it, all the icons are moved over and it's just so distracting. I can't even imagine how devs will adopt to it (that will probably just ignore it and make the aspect ratio different to avoid the hole entirely).
A slightly thinner bezel than the S9 would have been the best way to go.

The notch is probably easier to manufacture leading to higher costs to the consumer. Also instead of a hole why not just have a smaller notch?

>already have my s10+

Fight me

>The notch is probably easier to manufacture
source: your ass

Well sure but that's like saying a broken neck is better than a ruptured lung.

Attached: Dya-OtOX4AAbSaO.jpg (1125x1051, 198K)

Both shit

This.

Attached: 1532940442967.png (833x861, 756K)

>The hole punch is pretty big, bigger than the most of the widest notches.
Is really not
>So covering it up with a black bar (which is what I would do) leaves you with a ginormous black bar on the top.
Using a black bar would be absolutely retarded
>Without covering it, all the icons are moved over and it's just so distracting.
Can you not put icons on the left on the notification bar?
>I can't even imagine how devs will adopt to it (that will probably just ignore it and make the aspect ratio different to avoid the hole entirely).
They just don't put anything where the hole is. Is much more out of the way than the notches that are in the middle of the screen.

former AT&T retail store employee here.

Almost half of the phone upgrades people did were so they could get better selfie cameras and bigger screens. They paid no attention to hardware specs, battery life, etc.

You're not allowed to ship your devices with Android/"Google Play Services" as a manufacturer when you don't add a front facing camera.

Attached: 1547864456539.png (464x450, 40K)

Is that really what icons look like on the S10? Jesus Christ.

>let's make another version without the cutout
>in every size
>4 additional models
>no front facing camera, no video chat, nobody buys it, sales only increase by 1%
>it takes dollar millions to release those additional editions.
hmm I wonder why they don't consider it.

I don't mind the cutout that much because it kinda disappeares in the status bar. My only gripe is that is has to be so goddamn expensive.

source?

just pick the right wallpaper

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-04-21-56-08.png (1080x1920, 1017K)

>The hole punch is bigger than the notch
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Fucking Apple shills, holy shit
You can literally fit 5 or 6 of those in the iPhone notch

Currently using the s8 and pre ordered the 10+.

What am I in for?

>If device implementations include ...
source.android.com/compatibility/android-cdd.html#7_5_cameras

also nothing about camera requirements in the handheld device section at the beginning

Attached: waterfox_2019-03-04_22-06-04.png (929x227, 28K)

Attached: waterfox_2019-03-04_22-07-10.png (890x214, 26K)

I can't find it again. It's under NDA, but ZTE and mozilla still talked about it ("leaked it") during the release of the kis3/open c. Android version had a front cam, Firefox OS version didn't. You could install Android on the Firefox OS version though. And maybe also vice versa(?).

Too bad mine shit the bed.

hm maybe it was different 3/4 years ago then

Well, I've just been in those docs as well and I didn't get to that part, but okay. What the fuck do I know what they changed.
But the obvious fact is: There are 0 devices without a front facing camera coming preinstalled with Android and Play Services.

>dat glare on the curved screen.
When will Samsung end this shit?

GODDAMN NORMIES

ok home and lock screens are fixed, what to do with other 50 apps I have?

>hole punch is bigger than the most of the widest notches

Are you retarded or just baiting? The hole punch is fucking tiny in comparison

I don't understand how it's ruining all the other apps for you.

Samsung plans on embedding the camera underneath the screen some time in the next few years.

Attached: Transparent_OLED_Image.jpg (655x430, 45K)

It doesn't even ruin the home screen for me, but it does for apparently

>Leave samsung to Mi

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-3-19.jpg (730x548, 39K)

>What do you call it when you try to copy a competitor but you only make it worse?
Apple
cnet.com/news/lg-g7-iphone-x-notch/

Holy shit, Samsung even copied folding from the iPhone.

youtube.com/watch?v=atxY5xHK1TQ

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (1247x621, 762K)

They did?
Where?
Can you post a picture of the Samsung copying the iPhone?

still better than that fucking notch.

I just now thought how phones looked 2 decades ago, compared to this.
What a time to be alive

the absolute cope of this itoddler

Why the fuck would it need to be in 4 sizes? No one even asked for an argument yet you're straw-manning lol.
They could do market research and release no front cam for only the size that women/non-zoomers least likely buy.
But it's a bullshit phone peddling screen to body ratio despite the god awful physical ergonomics that result so Samsung probably aren't the guys to hope to make bold decisions anyway.

That shits elegant.

There nothing wrong with notchs

iPhone XS looks better Imo

whoosh

How did they go from S9 to that?

Just buy Note9 or wait for Note 10. Stop complaining.

Apple.

someone explain one (1) possible improvement to the s10e
pro tip

>Stop complaining.
No.
>go to gsmarena, search for new phones without a notch that include 3.5mm jack
>get this pill notch shit as the first results
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2018&chk35mm=selected&sDisplayTechs=2&idDisplayNotch=1
its disgusting
goddam that is slick shame its from a literal who youtube channel and not motorola themselves and you'd need a 0.2mm wire in the hinge to make that work

has anyone just considered making the rear glass into a bloody mirror with a capacitive button for the selfie obsessed to get their fix?

>one (1) possible improvement to the s10e
make the front facing camera a pinhole spy camera and integrate it into the existing top or bottom chin/bezel
people taking selfies don't care if they look like they were filmed through a peephole or not

Shut up cunt

Imagine being retarded enough where you want a black bar/bezel instead of that space being used for notifications because it triggers your virgin OCD

its called meme review

Attached: D0wIwz_XcAEXiKj.jpg (600x1000, 47K)

twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1102257098044321799

Courage?

what if I suddenly have to?

>What do you call it when you try to copy a competitor but you only make it worse?

Korean, in every industry there is.

Phone posters ruined the Internet. Big screens like that are to blame.

That shit will snap off. I know it's just a concept but even so this is probably one of the worst implementation I've seen. Current sliding camera makes more sense even though it can't bee both rear and front.

Mirrors can't apply filters and don't work for video calls. The closest thing to that you can get are those phones that have a second screen on the back.

Dude, he was making a joke.

we have that already, but normies can't be trusted with moving parts because they keep dropping their phones or putting it in water and they'll be sending their phones back to service centers every other week while complaining about how their >$1k flagship phones are poorly made

Sorry you're ugly bro

This is true. Based iphone 4s poster.

A copytino.

>Samsung
They never waste money in I+D. Since the first Galaxy only clone Iphones.

Attached: samsung-android-global-1024x515.png (1024x515, 268K)

Because Samsung mocked applel for the notch so much they'd be called hypocrites instantly which would be very bad press.

Remember to represent best korea if you decide to get it :^)

Attached: 4hix3xr914k21.jpg (960x1280, 127K)

Because companies are terrified of normies avoiding their phone over "muh snapchats".

kek

Attached: Clock_Head.jpg (200x200, 21K)

The Samsung Galaxy.

It has the same flaw: You can't really put any content there. Apps will just fill that upper space with a larger navigation bar, just like with any notch.
You can't really put any meaninful content in the safe area.

Makes sense. On these normie phone review channel, they always talk like 1 minute about the specs, 1.5 about the screen, a half about the OS and then 7 about the camara and how it compares to others and to DSLRs and all that shit.

or just open it up and disconnect the front cam yourself like a real man

Attached: notch_vs_hole.jpg (1500x1457, 181K)

The ACTUAL wasted screen is the entire rectangle next to and above the notch. That's the safe area. That's where apps will not put content. There is no "cutout area". There's just a cutout distance for each direction in the Android SDK.
Samshit probably designs their software to avoid the cutout without wasting space because they know where their phones' cutouts are, but every other Android app (aka the ones you'll use) don't.

>The ACTUAL wasted screen is the entire rectangle next to and above the notch
The wasted space is still bigger on hole notch.

Yes, that's what I was saying. It's even bigger than it is on that picture.

I wonder how much usable space there'd be if the phone didn't have a front facing camera.

jesus this phone had the perfect shape

>Almost half of the phone upgrades people did were so they could get better selfie cameras and bigger screens.
Were almost half of your customers women, by chance?

holy fuck that's amazing