Why are routers so slow? Everytime it reboots it takes at least a couple of minutes for everything to be ready...

Why are routers so slow? Everytime it reboots it takes at least a couple of minutes for everything to be ready .. I just don't get why the whole process isn't just fast, like we can transfer packets to another continent in milliseconds, and cpus are fast etc.. ?

Attached: 2016-06-24-product.png (688x552, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You pay the premium for good networking circuitry, not a fast bootup or ROM

consumer wi-fi routers are all the same cheap chink shit inside. Dog-slow ultra-low-power ARM crap running some version of Linux that would make CentOS look bleeding-edge. If you don't like that you get a computer and throw [pf,OPN]sense on it and add a dedicated access point. (or roll your own, any Linux or BSD can do it)

>You pay the premium for good networking circuitry, not a fast bootup or ROM
Not really the case, my ASR 1001-hx takes 5 minutes to boot and it can run a full I1 BGP table.

because giving your router alien arms/body like picrel and marketing it is way more effective in driving purchases

If you pay for shit internet it doesnt matter if you buy a 500 dollar router.
Plus American internet is the worst in the entire world, idk why but it is.
In Europe their cheapest provider packages are our best.

>gamer routers

Same reason a lot of servers are slow to boot: they're not optimized to boot quickly.
If you stripped down the firmware and bootloader, and used systemd or some other init that can spin things up in parallel (and actually configure it well), you could get pretty quick bootup times.

My old laptop with a CPU that's roughly the same as what's in a modern router could still hit 6 seconds from beginning to load the linux kernel to fully loaded desktop after I optimized it.

It doesn't matter if the router takes minutes to boot because it's not meant to be rebooted often. But yes do what said or buy a router with support for OpenWRT.

>Plus American internet is the worst in the entire world
As an ausfag i have to disagree

IOSXEfags BTFO

satania.webm

Using shitty old pentium grade embedded processors = more profit. But they'll sell the shit out of that gorillion gigabits of advertised speed by duct taping more antennas on and RGB lighting.

If you want a really snappy wifi router your only practical option would be to build a cheap ryzen 200ge itx desktop and install a 4x4 mu-mimo pci-express wifi adapter like this one:
asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/

From there you just hook up the pc to directly to the shitty modem you have through Ethernet, disable the wifi completely on the modem, and run the pc as a wifi router through softAP. It would easily outperform any gaymen router in existence even with 4-8 devices connected at the same time. Has to be 4x4 mu-mimo tho, anything less and no cpu in the world will help you.

Youre all niggere. Old routers are fine for home use. Will your isp give you gbps speeds?

Then you dont need gbps router. No one even fucking uses intranet

Depends how many people are connected to it. What a lot of people don't realize is most old routers out there have no mimo of any sort especially ones rented from the ISP. This means they usually have to broadcast a single 20MHz 802.11n stream which claims up to 75Mbps but in reality will be around 35 Mbps IF only a single user is connected to it, if more than 1 user is connected to this same stream then it will lose range and speeds will drop on all devices regardless of distance. So even if you have dogshit slow (for a family) 100Mbps plan you can only use 20-30% of that through wifi.

IN FACT, if you only use the 2.4Ghz 802.11n wifi (recommended, 5ghz range sucks ass) on you won't ever see that 1,000Mbps of claimed speed even if only a single user has some high end laptop/phone that can actually use 4x4 mimo. They'll actually end up with ~400Mbps true download speeds and if multiple people are connected total aggregate download speed could tank to around ~300Mbps.

If you really wanted to squeeze out that 1Gbps by 2.4GHz wifi you'd actually need 3 of the pcie 4x4 mu-mimo adapters I mentioned to get every last drop of download speed. Wifi still sucks desu.

>suggesting broadcom trash chipsets

It was one of the first 4x4 mu-mimo pci-e wireless adapters I could find but yeah last I heard they still had driver problems. Don't know how much that's changed but now I kinda regret recommending that specific adapter now.

>idk why
You have to be 18 to post here.

Yes it does, do you even know how wifi works?

look up prices in Canada you fuck wit

Buy multiple shitty wifi routers, problem solved.

Most of them have shitty bloated firmware written by Pajeet

Because ARM CPUs are cheap as dirt. Granted they could still use a really high end one like a snapdragon 835 but most users won't ever know their A7 dual-core is chocking when 2 people connect to the same wifi router.

do modern routers use ARM? mine have all used MIPS, not terribly new, mind you
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type : Atheros AR7161 rev 2
machine : NETGEAR WNDR3700/WNDR3800/WNDRMAC
processor : 0
cpu model : MIPS 24Kc V7.4
BogoMIPS : 452.19

newer routers started using NAND inside which is a bit bad for code execution.
stick to NOR flash powered routers.
I blame firmware bloat.
currently largest NOR used on routers available is on soic16, 32MB.

>not going to walmart and buying the cheapest router they had
no issues for almost 3 years now and if it breaks I can always just buy a new one and return the old one.

Attached: 1531692877208.jpg (275x183, 8K)

Chinese routers or routers running OpenWRT typically don't take minutes.

They are often very overspec'd for the task they need to do nowadays, actually.
512MB RAM and stuff like that.

based consumer

>American internet is the worst in the entire world
That's practically impossible

Is it possible to have 2 of those adapters on the same pc and run from the same ethernet? I have a 1Gbps connection and am pretty interested in this.

Good try at your troll attempt. You're getting better :)