ReactOS 0.4.11 released, with a FUCKTON of important improvements!

reactos.org/project-news/reactos-0411-released
Get the fuck in this here ITT thread, Jow Forumsuis!

Pic-related is actually a truly massive achievement, as it was buggy as all hell and crashed a lot on Winblows, but works perfectly fine on ReactOS now even though ReactOS uses Winshit's drivers/.dlls etc., thus, ReactOS basically already surpassed Winbugs on stability and performance in some particular cases! This is insane, cannot fucking wait now for 0.8.0 to come out soon enough, as by that time it undoubtedly should be having full functionality and compatibility of Wincucks 7, which will literally murder Micro$hit.

Attached: Civ II Gold (doesn't work properly on Windows, but works perfectly on ReactOS).png (939x594, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.11
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ee2XS_dc3I
youtube.com/watch?v=rPFM-ljaPYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tisJOoLemBk
youtube.com/watch?v=w9_x0UBLtUM
youtube.com/watch?v=nVK33lI6Km0
youtube.com/watch?v=u4hLycfaQD4
youtube.com/watch?v=CeCenkvF4lk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>ReactOS basically already surpassed Winbugs on stability
Mmmm

if it surpasses windows that doesn't say much

How does it work in bare metal? I have a old Thinkpad T40 that I use to throw random operating systems at, might give ReactOS a try. Last I tried it was back in '14, buggy as hell but an interesting system to use.

>muh gaymes

Stability and performance are one thing, but compatibility is the ONLY metric that really matters for a project like that. Does it run Word and Excel without any bugs? How about Photoshop? Solidworks? Skyrim?

Can’t even run it in VMware what a piece of shit. Could run the last release, it’s like the more “stable” it gets it actually becomes worse!

Nice try at ripping one phrase out of the context of entire sentence, kid.

>compatibility is the ONLY metric that really matters
You're one of THOSE uneducated people, huh?
Let me give you a proper pasta, in such of a case:
>Accuracy > optimization. But at the same time "accuracy" = "much lower performance/higher hardware requirements". There is no easy road. At the current time absolute majority of the "optimizations" are merely just hacks or "workarounds". Clear HLE content. Because if they'd were to immediately push for sheer accuracy all the way, we'd need a 8+ GHz quantum/graphene nanotube monstrosity from the 10+ years in the future to barely able 30 FPS in this.
(c) Steve Snake on RPCS3 emualtor, the god of emulation that worked for several years at Sega and DATA EAST and created very first ever actually fully working Genesis and Mega Drive emulator as well as legendary Kega Fusion multi-system Sega emulator. Citate from 2016.

>What should always be understood and remembered firsthand and foremost, is that better accuracy ALWAYS inevitably leads to much better optimization, while optimization without any/almost no accuracy leads NOWHERE and only creates barely usable (or not at all) garbage. ZSnes, pSX, ePSXe, almost all of NO$'s trash are the primary examples of the latter.
(c) Byuu, a furfa/g/ transvestite asexual Jow Forumsay man that single-handily created most accurate and best Super Famicom/SNES emulator on the planet to date despite everyone's vitriol and hate towards him and his approach to thematic. Citate from 2018.

Also
>Does it run Word and Excel, Photoshop or Solidworks?
See reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.11 page, it's regularly updated.

>Skyrim?
It could fully install and run Skyrim (and many other DX9 games) for quite a while now, I think as far back as since 4.8.0 at the very least, but so far without full FPS and without sound only. It's still playable already sheer playability-wise, though.

>See reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.11 page, it's regularly updated.
In other words, no for all of them. So ReactOS is completely worthless. Meanwhile, Wine can actually run some things pretty well. Maybe the ReactOS devs should just give up and contribute to Wine instead.

>ReactOS devs should just give up and contribute to Wine instead.
you just don't get it.

Nope, not at all. It's all been a complete waste of time and effort as far as I can tell. Utterly pointless.

>they should contribute to wine
user... i have news for you

get a life you fucking faggot nerd. stop posting this same bullshit over and over

>no for all of them
Are you a retard? Learn reading comprehension.
The new build came out only yesterday and fresh test are UPCOMING. If you wish to see a somewhat comparable reference, see the 0.4.11 RC builds' compatibility that's already written down. 0.4.11 and 0.4.11 RC are not same things.

Why don't they just make a barebones linux distro that runs wine and acts like a windows os? no need to code all this shit again

You are retarded, kid.

this isn't like wine, this is open source windows.

you keep posting this same bullshit over and over. ctrl+f cock smoker.

It's also unlike Wine in that it doesn't work.

wasn't there a leak for win2k's kernel? shoulda just worked on that. buncha idiots.

Who gives a shit, why the fuck didn't they start with Windows 10/7 compatibility and then work their way towards older versions. I'll be fucking dead before an open source Windows clone will be released

>Why
Because Wine is only an emulator. Using Windows drivers, binaries and dlls directly is not. And no other OS framework can use that directly if it's not emulated or reverse engineered from scratch. ReactOS project was pure reverse engineering from day-one, with a goal of fully supporting Windows software and hardware while not being proprietary and cucked because ReactOS is a FOSS project.
It's the literal Beндeкaпeц product. It's better than BSD and Linux, because it'll have entire Windows functionality and compatibility with it's software and hardware, WHILE at the same time having full benefits of an open platform. And ReactOS is not a Unix, Unix-like like Linux, or BSD. It is it's own thing. When this get to version 1.0, this is will be the OS to rule them all, as it'll have everything for everyone. It'll be the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. Singularity.

I'm a CTRL+C and CTRL+V god, you dumb fuck.

Because this piece of shit has been in development since fucking Windows 95 was current, and yet it still hasn't produced anything useful.

keep smoking that pole homie. i'm sure your piece of shit OS for fags will finally be good enough to run window xp era software by 2078 faggotron.

They deliberately refused to implement and of the leaked code, because they wish to make it 100% legal so that no Micro$hit dog would ever be able to bark any at them and so that no one would be able to ever sue or doubt them. You're the idiot here if you think they could've gotten away if they'd started using Windows' essentially stolen source code. More than so, even - Micro$hit ALREADY tried to attack them in the past and LOST exactly BECAUSE they couldn't find jack shit of their leaked garbage in ReactOS' purely CLEAN, ORIGINAL code. ANd no one will be able any in the future. The thing is fully original and self-contained. Besides, ReactOS' foundation holds EXTREMELY lengthy and utterly anal audit revision of the entire code before EVERY new built release to make 100% sure not even a letter of proprietary or stolen code gets in, so get fucked patent/coding trolls.

I rectify my statement then.
Humanity will be extinct before an open source Windows clone will be released

U seem MA

Attached: 1543448512572.jpg (1200x1553, 390K)

The only thing that you're rectifying here, is your own rectum.

I'm glad to have donated 5$ to them.
I wish for something windows like and open source more than anything else

Attached: 000.png (595x842, 343K)

It's not a Windows clone. It is it's own platform, but it just supports software and functionality which Windows has. But it's not a Windows, so it's not a clone of Windows. And it's neither Linux or BSD either. It's not even a Unix-like at all.

>It's not a Windows clone. It is it's own platform, but it just supports software and functionality which Windows has.
That's a cute way of excusing its shit compatibility.

>hates """M$""" and """winblows""" [fully sic]
>wants nothing more than to emulate them
ReactOS is cool, but OP is a faggot.

Attached: lollerbate.gif (210x280, 45K)

Dude, the code is 100% their own original thing and they're literally reverse engineering everything, so it's obvious it'll take a fuckton of time for them to get to Win 7-tiers of full functionality and compatibility. Like, seriously, you really don't need to go far to look for the prime example on how this works: Higan/BSnes, PCSX 2, and original X-Box emulation, for one. And those are just mere single pieces of software. ReactOS is an entire new OS platform, however. There's nothing like it and never was, it's an absolutely pioneering thing. It's like for an Earthling satellite trying to leave the Kuiper belt and go beyond. If anything, ReactOS is essentially NEW "Linux" if Linux itself was a BSD or Windows. ReactOS is a response, it's made in a way Linux was made by Linus back in the days.

ReactOS is NOT an emulation of Windows, you dumb fuck. It's not even a Windows clone. It's not even a Unix-like. It's completely it's own self-sustained thing from scratch, it just SUPPORTS Windows functionality and software/hardware on binary, driver, and .dll levels.

>ReactOS is NOT an emulation of Windows
>imagine being this pedantic
I'm sure there are a plethora of reasons to use reactOS other than emulating windows? Oh there aren't and you're a faggot? Okay matey.

Attached: 1524816295639.png (645x729, 58K)

retard

Sperg the thread

Nice non-argumentation, brainlet.

The reactos guys have got to figure out $$. Nobody in the linux world seemed to make money until Redhat came along and started selling business services. Maybe an idea is to provide testing and support for old apps and windows versions that Microsoft has abandoned. There have got to be thousands of companies that want to run old software on newer PC hardware. The US Navy runs XP. Wouldn't it be hilarious for millions of dollars be spent on a support contract for Russian hackers to develop and maintain an open-source and inspectable replacement. There is an absurd amount of money that can be made with this.

>The ReactOS guys have got to figure out funding
First of all, this is completely a FOSS project from the get-go. If they ever do get any funding, it's purely charitable investments, as in "good will support".
Secondly - 0.4.7 and 0.4.8 had open grants from Russian government via the "reduction of dependability on foreign import" initiative. After that gov stopped funding them until ReactOS has full functionality and compatibility on level of XP SP 3 (or 64 bit XP SP 2), which won't become a thing until 0.5.0, so they won't get new grants until that happens, then they'll be funded again. But aside from that, they have a donation service on main site that is purely voluntary.

I am not disagreeing. But I want those guys to make bank, so they can continue to work on this. There is an crazy amount of money going into Linux, and that is why we can all enjoy a nice fast unix (in all but name).

Money isn't a dirty word.

Think about walking into some manufacturing plant and they where they some old pentium running some old $250k machine kept alive on ebay find motherboards. That factory owner gets sold a support contract for $5k/year to make sure his weird app runs perfectly on mainline reactos. Rinse and repeat a few times and you can keep some developers well fed and cranking out code.

I wonder if Microsoft will do anything to slow development again?

How long you belive in вeндeкaпeц?

See .

This, ms will end up making their own Linux compatibility layer for their applications before reactos is usable

>Money isn't a dirty word
Tell that to RMS.

RMS is a dirty Commy who likes to force his name into Linux because he hasn't actually accomplished anything.

RMS doesn't mind $. The GPL explicitly allows selling a license. The thing I did not get years ago is that businesses don't necessarily give a shit about buying software. They want a solution to a problem. If you offer a solution to their problem they are willing to pay you $. That is the only reason Redhat is a billion dollar company (now purchased by IBM). The companies that pay Redhat $ don't have the expertise or millions of dollars to develop a linux from scratch, but open source software licenses make this whole thing work. AND RMS is happy because all the code is always going to be free to be hacked on and developed further.

>>You're one of THOSE uneducated people, huh?
How about you eat shit, faggot? Compatibility is literally the only reason to use Windows over Linux, so if ReactOS has bad compatibility, then why not just use Linux?

Doesn't work.

No, stability is just as important because ROS wants to be a business OS.

ReactOS wants to be a drop in replacement for the 32bit windows XP machines that are being used in shops, governments and other companies that use windows exclusive software. It's significantly lighter than today's Linux and Linux already dropped 32bit support on non-obscure distros. Even if they used Linux they'd have to re-train staff and hope that their software works 100% on wine (which it probably would).

They'll need a lot more than 5$ since Russians stopped investing into it until it gets full XP compatibility. They say on their site that they're currently only getting 5% of what they'd need to develop this thing faster.

The ReactOS and Wine teams cooperate a lot, the ROS team was the top contributor outside the core Wine team before Valve started funneling money into the project

>ReactOS uses Winshit's drivers/.dlls etc., thus, ReactOS basically already surpassed Winbugs on stability and perform
I like to interject, what you're referring to as windows is ONLY a specific version you compare against to reach this fallacious opinion and not windows as in every version of windows. Yes the really old software may not work very well on a modern version of windows but when run on a proper version that it was made it will always run better.
How running (at least enough to get a screenshot) a old game has anything to do with stability performance is only known by other cult members like yourself.
>basically...in some particular
weasel words

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-05 WineHQ - Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition-or8.png (1030x629, 51K)

It is a clone in progress, they have empty spaces here and there when the equivalent of the windows functionalities are not implemented yet, the UI is just incomplete copy paste. The entire architecture is a copy of windows. The code is different but it's just a rewriting. Few years ago an audit found some original windows code in it too and they had to erase it and step a few years backward.
Btw, I like this project and still hope it will be viable in near future. Thanks to the reactOS team

Hopefully by 2025 this shit will be stable and I can finally drop Windows 7. No way I'll be using Linux with GNU shit since I like to accomplish something and not just show a bunch of anonymous neckbeards my desktop filled with japanese drawings.

Attached: 1551635835406.jpg (400x400, 19K)

What a loser.

Is flawless Windows 7-tier compatibility even theoretically possible with the money they're getting?

Kys.

>ROS wants to be a business OS
It's not. Not in the financial part of it, that is. It'll always be FOSS and free for all, including governmental organizations and businesses. There will never be a paid version of this.

>ReactOS wants to be a drop in replacement for the 32 bit Windows XP machines
Wrong, because they've already moved on implementing Vista's/7's NT little bit by bit, it's not about "XP and older" anymore. It's going to be full murderer of all $hindowses up at least 7/8/8.1, when they finish. It might be never Shitdows 10 (and that's a GOOD thing), but it'll definitely be a full replacement of 7/8/8.1 by, let's say, 2028. And that's more than enough for 98.82% of all people that have brains. What matters the most, is that this won't be ONLY "7 functionality", but will be a replacement of 7 that's ABLE TO VULKAN, because ReactOS's devs already preparing on implementing it, so DX12 is literally DED.

flat design and dark mode when?

>what you're referring to as windows is ONLY a specific version you compare against to
It's NOT, you dumb fuck. They're planning on fully replacing Windows up to 7/8/8.1 at the very least. Because they're ALREADY started implementing Vista's/7's NT little by little and they're planning on adding full Vulkan support in the near future. DX12 and Shitblows 10 are DED...by 2028, or somewhere around that.

It'll never be a replacement for Shitblows 10, and that's a GOOD thing. HOWEVER, it'll definitely become a full replacement of 7 sometime by 2028. What needs to be taken into consideration here, is that Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 don't support modern CPUs, while ReactOS ALREADY SUPPORTS ZEN even in the alpha state it's currently in (so, yeah, considering that 0.4.11 is currently mostly XP functionality and very preliminary 7 functionality, this means ReactOS at the current state is "XP that supports Zen", kek). And in the near future it'll also be fully supporting Vulkan, to the boot. Imagine 7, but fully working with Zen 2 and Vulkan, unrestricted in any way, in about 10 years from now. Do you seriously need more for all eternity?

It'll be a thing by 2028 either way, even if they get zero, 0, null. Because this is a FOSS project and people from around all the world are contributing to this regardless if main dev team gets paid or not, since they've started this as a hobby project to begin with. Just because they have a donation page and were receiving grants from Russian government in 0.47 and 0.4.8 times, doesn't mean they're working on it full-time as their primary work. It's still just a hobby project developed in spare time and will always stay that no matter what.

How is it there, in 2014?

Yeah, but... has anything this ambitious ever been attempted and been successful? Is it even possible?
Cause if by 2028 they're like: "yeah most stuff works but X Y and Z crashes 5 percent of the time and certain emulators can't run unless they're running at 5 FPS and there's this bug where running backup stops for no reason and etc."... if it's not seamless, people will never flock to it. Can it really be done?

It's NOT a clone anymore. It's true that the project BEGAN as an "attempt at creating a Windows clone" in the early 1990s, but they've completely dropped that approach and decided to make this thing completely from scratch by mere reverse engineering sometime in the mid-2000s. It's been fully an original IP with not even a single line of non-original code for at least a decade-and-a-half now. Nowadays it's a completely self-sustained thing that simply has Windows functionality and compatibility on driver/.dll/binary level, but it's NOT Windows clone and it's even an emulator of Windows. It's more like a separate OS that simply has cross-compatibility with Windows software, but this cross-compatibility is achieved by mere reverse engineering and through their own original code. It's also not Linux, BSD, or even Unix/Unix-like/Plan 9 at all. It's a fourth/fifth player on the field. There was never anything like ReactOS and there is nothing like ReactOS, it's not a copy and not a clone of anything.

>by 2028
Fixed your mistake, no need to tank me.

>has anything this ambitious ever been attempted and been successful?
See Higan/BSnes and Byuu's sociopathic autism. But that was just mere single piece of software. Now extrapolate that autism on entire OS being build from scratch, while making it Russian at core to the boot. Yeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh...exactly what you think.

Why din't Wangblows sue these guys?

>20+ year old OS can now finally run software from 20+ years ago
Big wow

They already do. Most major leaps in wine are thanks to reactos devs

>certain emulators can't run unless they're running at 5 FPS
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ee2XS_dc3I
~
youtube.com/watch?v=rPFM-ljaPYQ
~
youtube.com/watch?v=tisJOoLemBk
~
youtube.com/watch?v=w9_x0UBLtUM

Here's some more non-emulated games for shits and giggles:
youtube.com/watch?v=nVK33lI6Km0
~
youtube.com/watch?v=u4hLycfaQD4

BTW FYI, most of these are older than a year and things improved quite a bit since.

See .

>if it's not seamless, people will never flock to it
Considering that it's completely and will always be so, people will. People don't care if shit crashes or hangs from time to time if you don't have to pay a single cent for it while it's completely open for customization/modification due to being an absolute FOSS product, while Shitblows is a proprietary blackbox that costs a fuckton and spies on you. Call it greed in humanity's nature or whatever, but it's a fact people aren't THAT stupid as to not to see clearn benefits of free versus paid when the said free has full functionality of paid.

>people will never flock to it
Do you honestly expect the masses to flock to ReactOS if it were perfect? Few people care about FOSS and the absence of telemetry. They fall for advertising and use what those around them use. They gravitate to shit that's convenent and looks shiny and modern. Not a lot of people understand that alternative OSs exist. Even fewer people know how easy it is to install them.

I didn't know Skyrim and PCSX 2/Dolphin were 20 years ago.
Big wow.

>Considering that it's completely free
SelfFix

It works a lot better than in 2014 I'll tell you that much

>already surpassed Windows in stability
That happens when you don't subcontract indians

Once it runs the following flawlessly or gets ports of them...
>Anaconda
>Python
>VSCode
>SMPlayer
>foobar2000
>Chrome
>NodeJS
>openJDK
>Warframe
...sign me up. Also native-tier nVidia and Ryzen driver support.

Can I play overwatch on ReactOS?

>Can't make it look like window 7, the best release of windows
What a piece of shit

wasting your life on getting an OS done thats somehow able to execute most of windows programs seems to be the stupidiest thing on earth

See/check reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.11 regularly.

Not yet, BUUUT:
youtube.com/watch?v=CeCenkvF4lk

I really want to contribute to ROS, specifically making directx programs run directly but that is too far away from my skill level right now.

Attached: 1506876268855.png (556x555, 453K)

Attached: VirtualBox_ReactOs 0.4.png (800x600, 33K)

Attached: VirtualBox_ReactOs 0.4.dpng.png (800x600, 7K)

Attached: VirtualBox_ReactOs 0.4x.png (640x480, 12K)

Can you change the colors of the Classic layout?

>in some particular cases!
Really smart of you not quoting the entire sentence and giving it an entirely new meaning.
Maybe you want to try a career as a journalist.

>Release candidate, not actual release

Дa, нo пoкa нeт.

I've been following this for years, exciting to see it improve even if it takes fucking centuries for anything to happen

Yes
No, it's the release. I changed some settingds in vbox and during the setup, it works if I leave everything as default

Attached: VirtualBox_ReactOS_05_03_2019_17_59_21.png (800x600, 28K)

Vulkan gaymz + modern drivers + modern Firefox builds + Win7 look and feel + light weight is going to completely axe murder most desktop OSes if it ever gets "done".

Квo ми гoвopиш нa pycки бe eй мъpшo

Is x64 finaly à thing