Rust community risks

I'm learning Rust. I once started a popular open source project. If I start an open source project in Rust and it becomes popular, will I receive PRs to change the pronouns in the documentation or add a CoC? If I refuse, will they get a Twitter campaign going against me and try to get me fired? Precedents welcome.

Attached: Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1000x1000, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/TMCoding/Plantation
chat.stackoverflow.com/transcript/11/2016/2/22/8-16
github.com/AssemblyScript/assemblyscript
github.com/evincarofautumn/kitten/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If someone submits something you don't want, thank them for their time but inform them you aren't interested and wont discuss it further. Don't respond when they ask why. Don't engage when they come up with their own reasons. When you engage you provide them an opportunity to show the world how progressive they are (their goal), and an opportunity to twist your words in a way that could be used to attack your life outside the project. They don't have a right to anything other than your code - not your time, not your beliefs, not your project.

>Don't engage when they come up with their own reasons.
Your logic makes sense, but does this actually work?

Write your own "CoC" first that states that contributors must be respectful to everyone.
That includes straight white men, so they will try to replace it with one that doesn't, but you will have a reasonable defense.

>will I receive PRs to change the pronouns in the documentation or add a CoC
You're almost guaranteed to attract the wrong crowd if you:
a) Use Rust
b) Publish your source publicly

>Write your own "CoC" first that states that contributors must be respectful to everyone.
You're just opening the door to their pozzed CoCs

The only way to present assumptions like that are as loaded questions or by begging the question. Both of which can only be dealt with by arguing against the question itself. That's not a quick or easy thing to do without explaining your beliefs - and those are exactly what you don't want to put out into the open because beliefs provide enough rope to lynch you with.

The absolute state of rustfags. You are so cocd by the trannies you cant even upload to github without fear of being harassed in social media. Those those thirsty SJWs/Rust Overlords are just out to fuck up your life and punish you for not conforming to their marxist agendas. Obviously stay the fuck away.

The problem is that I am now in a position that requires me to write low level code. I'd rather write it in a language with better abstractions than C that is not C++.

Write in C, you pussy.

Just do it, if people complain just remove it or something

No. I've written thousands and thousands of lines of C already. I am not going back. I want a real type system and modules, damn it.

You will probably not be receiving PRs from the twat type of Rust users.

>pozzed CoCs
Whoever came up with the term 'code of conduct' was either an idiot or trolling. It is just too convenient how it abbreviates to 'CoC'.

I'm pretty sure Github itself has the same CoC as Rust, so if your codebase/documentation contains something very offensive it'll be terminated by github itself. Example:
github.com/TMCoding/Plantation
Discussion:
chat.stackoverflow.com/transcript/11/2016/2/22/8-16

However if your project has no real offensive languages you should be just fine. If they tell you to add a CoC you can add your own as suggested, that's what amazon did.

1. kys, you never learnt Rust and you are too brainlet to learn it

2. kys, if you're a real dev you won't give a shit about politics

3. kys, low IQ retard

Time to move to gitlab. Get fucked marxists. Commies killed more than the nazi did

Simply state that (you) are CoC-less and won't accept such nonsense. Then simply ignore the things you don't like as is your right.
It is (you)r duty to be honest and upfront about (you)rself as a maintainer.

Attached: 1549865545826.jpg (500x396, 73K)

Translation:
If you dont agree with our political views you are not a real dev and have low IQ.
Nice to know rustfags are all brainwashed marxists.

>It is (you)r duty to be honest and upfront about (you)rself as a maintainer.
"Duty", lol. Nice false flag.

"This is my project, and I manage it however I want, and fuck you."
If they say that on their projects, you should be able to say that on yours.

>If I start an open source project in Rust and it becomes popular, will I receive PRs to change the pronouns in the documentation or add a CoC?
Highly probable, the longer the project exists the more likely. The rust community seems to contain a high percentage of those types.
>If I refuse, will they get a Twitter campaign going against me and try to get me fired?
Possibly, that is what seems to happen if anyone can identify who you are.
>Precedents welcome.
You're asking because you already know they exist. I'm not going to provide proof, it's been awhile, it wasn't me but its over with. The basics are it was a small crate hosted on github. A coc was suggested. The response wasn't the best a little harsh which lead to arguing and multiple people "weighing in". Then mass reporting and account suspension and calls to their workplace. Workplace wasn't a issue, the account was re-enabled after quite of bit of bull to get it re-enabled. They then deleted the project and everything else rust related online and off.

Personally unless you're being paid to use rust I don't think its worth your time because it has nothing special.

Remember the good 'n old don't feed the trolls?
It's the same: don't feed the SJWs, just ignore them.

Use javascript :^)

github.com/AssemblyScript/assemblyscript will eventually get there.

You can just call them faggots and laugh in their face.

Those leftist assholes have no actual power. Just look at them.

close the issue and don't say anything, shitflinging gets you both covered in shit

>Thank you for contacting Me/Us/The X Team, I/We am/are sorry to inform you that currently [Your suggestion] is not a high priority target for us/has not yet been considered for the future project. I/We will pass your suggestion on. Thank you for reaching out to me/us. Regards user/The X Team
Stay friendly, professional and vague. Don't engage further than that. Come up with a stock answer like that and you'll be fine.
Also make sure that the project is ideally not connected with you as a person in any way shape or form if you really want to be sure that no one can use it to fuck you over.

You are extremely naive if you think that Marxist cultural warriors care about fairness

>If I refuse, will they get a Twitter campaign going against me and try to get me fired?

This is your own fault for linking your IRL twitter with your Github AND your employer and place of work.

Out of all the CoCs I've seen, the one the Kitten language author came up with seemed to be the sanest and most reasonable to adopt and would give you carte blanche to politely refuse any and all PRs and input from others:

github.com/evincarofautumn/kitten/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

You might wish to adopt similar for your project just to cut the craptivists off at the knees. In addition, some conferences now are utterly pozzed and expect you to have some form of CoC to even participate. You could tell them to sit-n-spin, but exposure is exposure.

But as other anons wisely pointed out, be polite, decline and then completely disengage immediately.

>for linking your IRL twitter
r u dum? You don't need to be on twitter to be harassed by their mobs.

Ah yes, and the raped woman is at fault for dressing up too slutty

Attached: Ruby COC.png (1037x881, 117K)

False equivalence. In this case it is your fault for creating an attack surface. Cause no matter if left or right wing if some entitled insane american kid with too much time on their hands wants to fuck you over they will if you give them any attack surface. As has been seen time and time again in the past.

Not bad, but I feel it needs to be spelled out that there is a benevolent dictator in charge of the project and that others are guests participating.

I see you live in a low-trust society

And what is that supposed to mean exactly?
Ignoring the implications why should I make myself identifiable on a web project that might make a target for some ideologically motivated idiot with too much free time on their hands? Staying as anonymous as possible in the current year 2007+12 should take priority over wanking all over yourself cause you worked on this or that.

MINASWAN, codified.

Not many Japanese posters here, I imagine.

It was some feminist on github who got fired after implementing it. She then raged, thrashed and cried on twitter how they were being mysoginistic or something. It was sad.

I wouldn't call it sad. More highly concerning how someone like that got a job in the first place.

>real type system and modules
Sounds like you're just a fucking bitch and this is coming from a java developer who's transitioning into C

CoC: no CoC

They were a 'code witch' and a tranny with all the right politics in the Bay Area and very little technical talent. Is it any wonder a place that removed their iconic rug over its offensive use of the word 'meritocracy' decided to hire them?

>code witch
I know I will regret inquiring further but what the fuck is a code witch supposed to be? The rest is just par for the course but what kind of mentally ill bullshit is a code witch?

>She

Oh right. I forgot that it was a tranny. Funny how everything just blurs out after you stop caring.

>she

It's when you combine a shit understanding of occultism with a shit understanding of programming.

*bans all people who don't respect the 1-line "don't be an asshole" COC*

Solid advice

/thread

no. The coc only applies to the rust project itself

Sounds like you're just a pretender who thinks he's all tough now that he's in the turing tarpit with floaters.

Guess the grass is greener on the other side.

>a shit understanding of occultism
Please elaborate, /x/. I am curious how these douchebags fuck up outside of programming.

>this is coming from a java developer who's transitioning
Figures.

There is plenty of ways to twist "don't be an asshole".

the virgin Jow Forums
the chad this guy

Attached: BOYCOTT GITHUB COMMUNIST SCUM.png (341x374, 35K)

Just keep your mouth shut. I have a pretty successful Rust project, haven't gotten any PRs for codes of conduct yet. I just do my work, generally don't talk about politics and so far that's going pretty well.
I don't have a Twitter account, so that really helps with avoiding shitstorms. Twitter is the piss stain of the tech industry, full of narcisstic cunts that just want to feel important. If you do your project to get fame, yeah you're gonna need to bow down to CoCs and the usual faggotry, but if you just make your project for yourself like me, you don't need to give a shit about anyone. Just tell them to fuck off and ignore the Rust """community""".
Also, fuck "potential contributors", either contribute or don't. It's not like I'm getting money from you and most code from these people is shit anyway so fuck off. Had to explain one of these "potential contributors" how to use the mod operator and breastfeed them the code because they were too lazy to even read the Rust book till the second chapter. I'm not doing this shit again.