Free

>Free
>Easy to use
>Effective
>Cross Platform
>Nice Social Features
Why are you faggots still ricing as opposed to learning another language?

Attached: photo.png (380x380, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/1984285834
youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8
wellington.org/academics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck off, Duo.

because non-anglophones are subhuman

I'm too busy fragging n3rds

it's garbage, get some fucking books

I'm trying to learn chinese and it's fucking impossible god damn it

Rosetta Stone is better

Learning a language is difficult.

>be me
>watch anime with subtitles
>interested in going to japan
>they speak with no subtitles
ladiesandgentlemenweshitted.png
>pull out this bad boy (duolingo, pic unrelated)
>speaks rice krispies
>fool speaks in english
yowhatthefuck.png

Attached: gillbates.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Duolingo won't teach you shit, its a game.
The only use it has is maybe to play it during commute instead of browsing facebook.
If you wanna learn a language seriously just search for ' learning' torrents, there's more quality material than you'll be able to use in years.

duo lingo doesnt teach anything besides phrases

winblows shitter detected

Why? Everyone I’ll ever interact with speaks English. There’s a reason American’s are so bad at learning second languages; there’s absolutely no reason to. Even in foreign countries people recognize you as american and start speaking English.

Fucking around with the tool I use more than anything else on the other hand makes what I do for a living and as a hobby a little more comfortable. Plus I just enjoy messing around with my computer whereas play some boring language game would be tedious on top of useless. Why would I possibly waste my time learning a language instead of rice my computer a little more?

Used it for a bit but the moment I couldn't continue without creating an account I uninstalled

>because anglophones are subhuman
Fixed

I've been using this unironically for a month and a half. It is decent for training your ears but speaking is not great.

Not free as in freedom now fuck off with your ads op

That is shit mentality

t. sub-80 IQ

>American’s

the only way to actually learn a language is to read and speak it.

doesnt have finnish

不放弃,user. 我置信你。
你在大学学习中文吗?

>Duolingo won't teach you shit, its a game.
that was my experience. you can get way too far with duolingo and have no real knowledge, it basically gets you to know how to play duolingo but gives you no working knowledge at all.

because a dictionary + reading + translating by hand is superior. specific courses for a language are also superior
duolingo is a meme

A friend of mine is learning Mandarin and, as one of many resources he uses, he's found this Anki deck very useful:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/1984285834

It's Heisig's RTK approach but for Simplified Chinese: Remembering the Hanzi, covering the 3000 most important Hanzi.

The idea would be you'd do this in parallel to actually trying to learn grammar and vocabulary (and the theory and patterns to the phono-semantic compounds), to build a mental dictionary of Hanzi to which you ultimately link the vocab that you end up first only really remembering well phonetically. Unlike Japanese, though, because (almost) all Hanzi only have one reading, you can get away with learning the reading of each Hanzi at the same time (less memory interference).

Only issue with that specific deck is no pre-given mnemonics, which for some people is an issue (poor imagination or whatever).

I have a chinese girlfriend and we've been together for 4 years, we met at grad school
I want to learn chinese for her and she wants me to learn as well but it has been extremely challenging for me

basic background on the RTK approach youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8

warning: the video-maker has since made some alterations to the "all-encompassing" approach he likes to promote - someone is guaranteed to come along and misrepresent that as him "scrapping the idea" or generally poo-pooh the approach, but since you're doing Mandarin it's irrelevant (and it's irrelevant in the Japanese threads too because nothing about RTK compels you to buy into that guy's wider approach in the first place)

>There’s a reason American’s are so bad at learning second languages
>American's
That reason is that they can't even really learn a single language, adding another one on top of that is just too much.

Nice rebuttal. My eyes have been opened. In all reality I went to a school that started teaching french in first grade we were all basically fluent by high school. 10 years later I have never once had a reason to speak french. So explain to me why I should feel the need to learn another language I’m never once going to use. Or am I just supposed to accept that it’s wrong to think this way because everyone says it is?

I feel like you made that up

Because it doesn't work.

this happened to me growing up in toronto, I did french classes for grades 4-12 and I've forgotten almost all of it because I never use any of it except occasionally reading the odd french word

I've almost completely lost all of my french, basically all my friends are the same way

Cool. Here’s the school I went to wellington.org/academics we’ve had several pedo teachers and one of our lunch managers or whatever was caught fucking a lunch lady in the walk in fridge but they pretend it’s prestigious. Either way go down to essentials section and it mentions teaching french to all ages (it’s k-12)

>Learning a language is difficult.
it is the easiest thing to do, learning to PROGRAM is difficult

This
I'm going through the lessons like they're nothing these days and alone it's a shit heap. It certainly helps though, reading through a text book side by side, the contents make so much more sense when you have experience in the subjects.

>>Effective
no

I agree it's bretty good.

The language I want to learn isn't covered by it

Where can I learn Mandarin that isn't duolingo? What about Cantonese?

pimsleur

fuck off duo, i turned off notifications

In what tracker can I find learning material ?

:(

Even a fucking parrot can do it.

Duo is shit. I've been using it for 1 year+ to learn Mandarin and can barely speak a few sentences. I'm lost at this point and feel like giving up trying to learn another language. It's unironically easier to learn Haskell.