youtube.com/watch?v=Fopa1Uoh87w
Article:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=System76-Wants-High-End-ARM
ME/PSPfags BTFO!

Attached: armHuge.gif (2551x2551, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/servers/starling
youtube.com/watch?v=V1yl2iRSR0U
techradar.com/news/lenovo-teases-first-5g-laptop-powered-by-qualcomm-snapdragon-8cx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pop os. its pretty good

>high-end
We'll see. At least there won't be a botnet in the microcode. Stallman will be able to move on from whatever ancient brick he uses now.

Why does Jow Forums shill arm so much?

Fuck ARM
RISC-V bois ww@

>High-end ARM

Attached: 1517088701236.gif (320x180, 1.2M)

He's currently on a T400s librebooted

It's a step in the right direction. Better at least than the literal duopoly that is x86

Fuck the RISC-V meme. SuperH is a superior ISA and has already battle-tested set of compiler tools and an open-source FPGA implementation with more implementations to come.

RV64 in particular is a trainwreck, the exception handling is garbage and no one even has a finalized spec for RV32E, so there's absolutely no compiler support for it.

You can already get 48-core ARM Server chips and systems with them.
system76.com/servers/starling

Economics aside, what are the advantages of arm? I am talking about technolo/g/y.

I'll give them this, their website works pretty good without javascript which is always a plus. But 96 Cores at 2GHz isn't really useful for my server usecases. And 2k$ for a 2TB NVMe drive is a bit steep I'd say.

>system76
oh boy cant wait for a $5000 arm pc

I'm more interested in ARM-architecture embedded devices

>tfw this little board is more powerful than a PC from 1996

Attached: STM32F429I-DISC1-big-01.jpg (1185x1281, 244K)

>high-end
>linux
what's the point?

ARM is a complete fucking shitshow.
Microsoft did the right thing by requiring UEFI for Windows on ARM, because of that you can actually buy one of those shitty ARM laptops and boot linux on it easily.
Drivers are all binary blobs though so device support is spotty at best.

ARM has the same (((security))) chip AS Intels ME vor AMDs PSP.

Core 2 Duos are ancient now, user

Nobody cares what that lard ass nigger uses.

I do ):

You really shouldn't user.

Why not? He's a funny guy. It's like keeping up with celebrities, if you're a normie

>arm
>high-end
yeah me too

Well I guess you have a point, it is like keeping up with celebrities but for autistic faggots like us. But I never got that desu

Yeah I agree, it's pretty autistic either way

Works fine for me. Hell, I run Kubuntu on mu x200. My main gripes are the 12800x800 resolution and garbage battery life.

I had an X201 as my previous daily driver and even the i5 was struggling to stream 1080p video. It works for office suites and (most) web browsing but I don't understand why someone would handicap themselves when i7 Thinkpads are dirt cheap nowadays

The core-i series doesn't support Libreboot, afaik

This is a shame. A Librebooted T440p would make me cum on contact

I wonder, does 48-core ARM at least run faster than 8-core amd64?

Depends on how well the program in question scales with multiple cores I guess.

same

RISC is superior to CISC.

(((ARM))) is utter trash. Kys, shill.

based and redpilled

>Highend

>arm

laughingniggers.jpg

>((((high-end)))) ARM
>can barely match a shitdozer cpu

It's more likely than you think
Theres obviously already the low power stuff like SoCs, smartphones, tablets, etc.
And as stated previously, there's server-tier stuff now. Pic related's another one of those
They just need something right in the middle.

Attached: pogo.png (832x178, 69K)

Let's be fucking real here M80: ARM fucking blows on laptops. Only the snapdragon 855 is capable of outperforming a fucking celery much less core-m series. Absolutely fucking useless for anything more than word processing desu senpai.

youtube.com/watch?v=V1yl2iRSR0U

The only real ARM chip that might give somewhat close to core-m multi-core performance is the 8CX but good fucking luck finding that SoB on $500 or cheaper laptops.

techradar.com/news/lenovo-teases-first-5g-laptop-powered-by-qualcomm-snapdragon-8cx

>he didn't buy in to freedom

Attached: IMG_3509.jpg (238x138, 4K)

>SuperH
>Endianness: Bi
absolutely degenerate

You're an uneducated moron. All modern CPUs, including all jewtel and ayymd ones, are RISC since literally forever. They only look like CISC from the ISA standpoint.

It's not a step at all. ARM is literally the same crap, but not standardised (it's just an ISA plus several loosely related technologies/standards you don't have to implement)

>ME/PSPfags BTFO!
>what is TrustZone
Armfags are retarded.

If it will have
>fucked up bootloader like proprietary blob, out of tree uboot
>wifi, bt, 2d, 3d requiring proprietary crapware
then into le trash it goes.
Since its S:76 maybe there is some hope.

I think they mentioned in the video that they want to do it in a way that doesn't have the proprietary/locked down bootloader issue seen in other ARM implementations.

1. ARM cores ate power efficient and ARM scales all the way from cheap 1cent micro controllers to high end server cores.

2. Anyone with enough scratch can license an ARM core. This probably is one thing Jow Forums always overlooks. It a very appealing feature. It's why ARM is used in so many SOCs. You license the ARM core, attach that to your custom IO hardware on the package and ship it. You only need to license from ARM what you need and place only what you need on your SOC.

This strongly constrast X86 where the need to maintain backwards compatibly for Wandoz, mean you need to keep all sorts of hardware from all the way back in the 80's. Or say you don't want integrated graphics because your application doesn't have a screen. Well with X86 your stuck buying it all.

1. You mean some particular ARM implementations can sleep well. That heavily depends on software as well, and they aren't that "power efficient" in the sense of performance/watt. Also, it's not something inherent in ARM itself, it's just because vendors that targeted mobile devices also happened to develop under ARM license.

2. Jow Forums also often overlooks the lack of standartization and unification. PC is a more or less of a platform, of which x86 is just a part, and that's why it and ARM is an absolute free for all. Early personal computers were a zoo of incompatible hardware and software. What you will see with hypothetical ARM rise is either this, or (more likely) a bunch of locked down monolithic designs without any modularity.

>This strongly constrast X86 where the need to maintain backwards compatibly for Wandoz, mean you need to keep all sorts of hardware from all the way back in the 80's.
Bullshit, you don't even have to keep the compatibility with 10 year old hardware. If you mean old x86 instructions, they don't use any chip area since they are all implemented in microcode. 80's hardware and software is really obscure and requires all sorts of emulation and special solutions tailored to custom needs.

>Or say you don't want integrated graphics because your application doesn't have a screen.
We're talking about personal computers. Desktops and laptops, not embedded. Don't worry, with ARM-based computers you'll have your share of custom solutions with the choice forced down your throat.

> doesn't know about j-core being just as open

>and that's why it took off back in the time

ARM is strong!

mobile forever!!

You'd be using little endian regardless, since that's what everything supporting SuperH expects.

this thread is retarded
ISA is completely irrelevant in modern CPUs
instructions are translated into an internal representation anyway
microarchitecture and particular core implementation is what matters
also, standards or a lack of such

>shuves camera in your face

>we need youbuntu
im def not buying anything from them

>yadaya we want to support lynux
>this is blabla, it has nvidia graphics
bhahahaha what retards

I bet their displays are with some stupid PPI like almost all other laptops.

>The growing UEFI support around ARM is also helping more AArch64 Linux distributions "just work" on ARM hardware, which we've seen already with the likes of Fedora and Ubuntu booting and working just fine with the Ampere eMAG server, for example.
hope this becomes more commonplace. Fuck locked-down ARM devices.