There are people that are employed and call themselves programmers but can't write SQL

>there are people that are employed and call themselves programmers but can't write SQL
how is this even possible

Attached: Hs9auHg.jpg (500x683, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never needed a database?

Why does every programmer need to know sequel?

We use NoSQL

I use an ORM, and if it's anything that requires fine tuning I give it to our SQL guy. I prototype, he polishes. So do I know SQL? Ish, maybe, kinda sorta. Knowing good database design just always seemed more important than getting good with the access layer.

Hey, I spotted the hipster

A database is one of the most valuable tools you can leverage though. It's understandable that some software won't need one, but to never need use of one probably means you're not tackling particularly difficult problems. That, or you're an algorithm autist who grinds math via code.

Only when the queries get too absurd with cross apply and joining absurd shit and figuring out how it's going to perform because in order to know that you need to know the query analyzer and optimizer for each engine.

I've done a few queer things in my day, but because of these great things called ORM's I don't have to know SQL.

It's especially funny given you can learn SQL in a day and master it in a week. It's just fuckin' database management not a programming language.

>he hasn't seen programs consisting of thousands of lines of SQL code
I envy you.

Truth

How hard is sql to learn

very easy

It’s ptobsbly the easiest programming language.

It's like Go - easy to pick up, hard to master. It gives you more than enough to rope to hang yourself.

Can I say I know sql if I used maybe a handful of simple commands in the context of R during one college class and I read the learn sql in y minutes

How recently did you read the book? If you had to work with it today, how bad off would you be?

I have this problem a lot - I've worked with a lot of random shit, but the question is always 'enough to list it on the resume?' I ask myself the above question. If the answer is 'I'd be in bad shape' the answer is no. Otherwise go for it.

>It's like Go - easy to pick up, easy to drop.
ftfy

fuck nigger I have a CS degree and I never understood the difference between joins until now

christ fuck it's just a venn diagramm.

not that it matters because we have RDF stores with sparql and cypher now.

>master it in a week
lmao

Yup, database tables can be represented as sets and the joins are set operations

> how is this even possible
ORM dood. Pure SQL is one level below. Analysts use it, juniors don't.

I can normalize the shit out of anything but I never knew what the difference between right, left, inner, and natural join was.

>how is this even possible

hibernate, fucker.

>fuck nigger I have a CS degree and I never understood the difference between joins until now

This is exactly why people roll their eyes when someone calls himself a computer engineer.

Attached: plinkett.jpg (1024x768, 168K)

Hey, if it works - it works, alright?
t. seen Joomla w/Oracle in production

computer scientist === computer engineer ?

my friend, your parser's a shit.

Then you're worse than either.

I like sql it really is intuitive like this is a command (sqlite) that counts from 1 to 100

insert into table (column) with recursive numbers as (select 1 as number union all select number + 1 from numbers where number < 100) select number from numbers;

but I am one of those things D:

CS has little to do with any particular language or system, in case you'd like to know.

>setup postgres and create tables using pgadmin
>use libreoffice base to create prototype frontend using their query assistent
>use ORM to create production frontend
Not a single line of SQL was written in the process.

Does any database manager even implement full outer join?
The SQL standard is retarded because everyone just does their own thing.

because we be using firebase, bitch! json ftw!

i was a DBA for one year and never had to use an outer join. I think it could be useful for a search bar, but other than that it seems pretty pointless. if I wanted the full output of a table, it's just query that table, no point in joining another one. but i've been asked about it in interviews and I was just confused that they got hung up that I didn't answer it the way they wanted. probably better I dont work for brainlets like that I guess.

We No Use SQL

There's no reason to ever use a database. Just use a text file and load it into memory

>to never need use of one probably means you're not tackling particularly difficult problems

I love nodejs programmers

youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

Can I ask a SQL question I am having with my university lab in here? Anyone think they have a depth of knowledge necessary to help me take a primary auto incremented id of one table and pass it into another table on a subsequent insert statement?

You're right. Embedded systems are ez.

SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID();

It gives you both full tables with matches. It is helpful for finding non-matches from both tables simultaneously, for example. I don't think you should be calling people brainlets.

can you give an example then? when was the last time you used it.

thanks user