I'm going insane. I can't do this anymore. I don't mind looking like a retard

I'm going insane. I can't do this anymore. I don't mind looking like a retard.

What the FUCK IS THIS. IS IT FOR THE SECOND MONITOR?

Attached: IMG-20190305-WA0024.jpg (800x1600, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That is COM port

Some kind of serial port. I can't be bothered looking up the proper kind/name.
If you don't already know what it is, you don't need to care about it.

user, it's an EGA/CGA monitor port.

Gtfo, zoomer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

Oh I see. Like for a fax or something?
Really? But it won't fit the other end of a monitor, since is DSU-B/DVI, right? Is it for stuff like cashiers?
I'm 28 and tech ignorant.

Thanks a lot user. I can sleep soundly now.

It's a fucking serial port you meming fucks. There's a parallel port right on top of it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

I know they haven't been used in 18 years so you're probably old enough to post here, but come on kids, learn your history.

I have mouses for that port.

Used to debug and repair motherboards. Thats why they have hung around so long.

Your ethernet cable looks fucked

>Oh I see. Like for a fax or something?
Serial ports used to be used for connecting a lot of different unrelated devices. Mice, scanners, faxes, modes, certain printers, joysticks, weird custom devices for all sorts of purposes, you name it. Kinda like the precursor to USB.

They have been almost completely obsolete for 20 years now, mostly because USB is much better at all these things.

RS232 port

you will never know the joy of 3 player duke3d with one player on a null modem and one player on a 9600 baud modem

and it being the first time any kid in your neighborhood got a videogame going with > 2 players

Stop being a zoomer.

OS and BIOS. not the whole motherboard.

That is a DB9 connector used with RS232

How the fuck is this answer so far down from the top. I thought this was supposed to be the technology board. This is like basic networking.

If you don’t have one of these blue cables in your bag then you are not really into tech.

for token rings

>completely obsolete for 20 years now
>tfw network engineer and use it almost every day

You're under the mistaken impression that we care about spoonfeeding a zoomer.

9 > 25

I used laplink long before rollover

Attached: 2019-03-05 19_41_26-Window.png (1713x1142, 3.04M)

>I lived long enough to see people asking about what is a serial port in Jow Forums.
It feels like yesterday seeing you guys going assblasted over the first iPhone.

Attached: 1263152836462.png (569x571, 46K)

cereal port. they used to make peripherals for automatically making you breakfast and they plugged into there

>>tfw network engineer and use it almost every day
for what

Isn't RS232 just a specification? I have some servers that use RJ45 as a serial port

Serial RS-232 DB9 port. It's old technology used for inter-device communication. Think of it like old school USB.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.gif (772x935, 425K)

This is the correct answer

I hope this is bait but the sad thing is it's probably not

>I hope this is bait but the sad thing is it's probably not
when would someone age 25 or under have seen this in use

not but it's kindof a cisco norm for switch setup, they're trying to move to newer USB cable but when half your smartnet contract replacements need RS232 rollover you have a lot of RS232->USB adapters lying around

Locally connecting to equipment.

Attached: consoleCable.jpg (350x350, 16K)

>you have a lot of RS232->USB adapters lying around
Every fucking switch comes with one. Literally dozens sitting in a bin, but fuck me if I can ever find more than one usb to serial.

the port is db9. the UART is 8250/16550, the cables are made to the RS232 standard but there's no easy way in common language to refer to the whole thing so pick one and go with it.

are you fucking baiting your fucking retard? stop making the "I'm too young to understand" excuse.
you should know what a fucking serial port is since they were on everything

> Not having used a ~5+ year old bench power supply, multimeter, or electronic load that will still be around 30 years from now
> Not having used a 30+ year old one of the above that is still around

You don't even have to be that old, honestly

what uses serial to telephone jack

are you using a printer from 1985 or something

why would I be using a serial bench power supply

what would i be doing with that

>DB
the absolute state of this board

Attached: vomit.jpg (900x675, 99K)

That's an ethernet plugin on the end

Also its the simplest port to use on the PC from a programming standpoint, so many hobby hardware stuff use it.

Jow Forums is 18+. GTFO Zoomer,

>I'm 28 and tech ignorant.
christ help your poor wretched soul. if you can't work google to find such basic information then you need to run a hose from the exhaust of your car to inside it, wind up all the windows, close the aircon vents, and fucking gas yourself.

>That's an ethernet plugin on the end
and what would that be used for in the current year

>lolol
Clearly the meme port

Attached: smug looking anime girls with condenscending looks on their face.png (181x220, 27K)

Its for real people doing business, not for retarded gamers like you.

A switch, router, or any networking device's port used for configuration.

Other people in this thread have said this, troll

RS232 is a protocol, not a connector. You can just as easily run RS232 over DB25 or RS485 over DB9.

>A switch, router, or any networking device's port used for configuration.
do you really think regular people, even tech enthusiasts and programmers have serial port switches they have to fuck with ?

Yes.

>pleb
I want you to know that all network engineers including me look down upon you and everyone else in other computer fields. That includes you millennial CS degree dropouts too.

Attached: cisco nexus.jpg (600x400, 179K)

we used to program on those ports
turning led lights and shit

well you are wrong

I build computers, I do development and I make robots with raspberry pis and I have no idea what that port is

>engineers
>plugged a bunch of cat 5 cables into a box

Attached: 1305371550291.jpg (450x450, 28K)

Vistor from /o/

Basically any car guy worth his shit knows a serial port. Most tuning wideband oxygen sensors used in tuninh still use a serial port and so do many aftermarket ECUs. Most of us now have active serial to USB converters to use our devices with the software on modern laptops but we still know what it is and work with it.

Granted I doubt many normies use a serial port anymore, but obviously anyone in the tech support or.networking community knows it as does a large amount of the car community so it's far from obsolete. It seems to be really easy to wire up analog outputs for a computer software to read and interpret so if you're looking to interface a simple sensor with a computer and some software you built, serial is probably the easiest/quickest solution.

>spanning-tree
>vlans
>radius
>tacacs+
>ACLs
>SNMP
>SVIs
>OSPF
>EIGRP
>BGP
>NAT
>SONET
>SysLog
>ISE
>802.1X
>VRRP

Oh and I guess we terminate cables sometimes.

>not knowing how the internet works

dammit OP

Attached: 1494756024372.gif (500x281, 3.63M)

holy fuck Jow Forums really is full of that one guy who built a gaming PC and thinks he knows technology now, huh? what a bunch of fucking retards.
if you're actually not baiting to bring out retards like those three, RS-232 is best described as a barebones simple version of USB or bluetooth with the same kind of universal scope in terms of what you connect to it. of course, it lacks conveniences like delivering power over the same cable or being wireless, and on PCs the data rate is quite slow.

it isn't necessarily obsolete, considering many modern standards like the above two still employ pretty much the same principles and methods but faster and with a bunch of extra intelligence and other shit piled on

AB PLC for example you goddamn codemonkey

Holy hell

Attached: Screenshot_20190305-215211.png (844x1084, 664K)

>the port is db9
The CONNECTOR is DB9
The PORT is serial in/out

Would be a bitch if it was a home run, but not the end of the world.

this is a blue board

80% + of all production switches that haven't been replaced since like 2010, its dropping fast now but it was THE standard for a long time

not to mention syslog, netflow, NMSs and SNMP v1 2c 3, NTP and all the fun monitoring stuff to keep it running. Oh and an infinite stream of proprietary management utilities and firmware upgrade tools each promising to be a silver bullet that doesn't work

and an infinite variety of cards, connectors and modules and adapters required for upgrading to whatever tomorrow's standard is

and integration with all the infrastructure that thinks its a networking device like every poweredge server that IT has decided has a vswitch with etherchannel but can't configure LACP on.

>holy fuck Jow Forums really is full of that one guy who built a gaming PC and thinks he knows technology now, huh? what a bunch of fucking retards.

No, gramps. It's more like it's a dated as fuck port that exists only on hardware made before 9/11

>etherchannel but can't configure LACP
I know that fucking feel, user.

that's exactly why you're such a fucking idiot lmao, you were shitting in diapers while that shit was standard and now you're trying to pretend you know fuck all about it when you can't even perform a simple google search

it's not a zoomer thing, it's a retard thing, get euthanized

Why the fuck doesn't this post have more replies? This is like the fucking OSI model thread from a few weeks ago I sperged out on.

so it's a multipurpose port that is no longer used?

>OSI model
Daily reminder that we don't really use the OSI model.

It's still used, mostly for legacy equipment though.
As a lot of people in this thread have said, network equipment still does, but this is mainly because its very specialized hardware and expensive as fuck to replace.

Based boomer

it's still used quite widely for low-speed communication with all kinds of industrial and embedded systems, it's just not really a general peripheral/communications bus for consumers anymore because there are much more convenient alternatives

kek'd

the number of /sqt/ answers that are lmgtfy answers is unreal

we do up to about layer 4-5.

Brainlet. Folks in the industry would have some experience using putty over rs232.

>18+
Im 12 and you dont have to tell me what this is. I already know.

Attached: 1463632964421 (1).jpg (620x348, 29K)

>Brainlet. Folks in the industry would have some experience using putty over rs232.
yes no shit but most people don't work on rack hardware all day

I used a console cable for the first time today. Kinda fun playing with barebones tech, no gui, no web-interface, just command line work.

>As a lot of people in this thread have said, network equipment still does, but this is mainly because its very specialized hardware and expensive as fuck to replace.
which everyone in this thread thinks we all have in our homes

>I used a console cable for the first time today. Kinda fun playing with barebones tech, no gui, no web-interface, just command line work.
yeah fun XD, kinda neat!

I had a mouse for that port back in 2003

I have an old HDTV with this connector and a port on my PC. I think I have a cable somewhere, will check back as soon I am back home tonight
Under Ubuntu, how could I use it?

Serial port for old school modems, switches, routers etc.

It's to play DOOM multiplayer agains your asshole of a brother.

>they haven't been used in 18 years
Still widely used at points-of-sale for cash drawers and such.

>The CONNECTOR is DB9
no it isn't

>not knowing what that does
zoomer detected

>no it isn't
Okay, you got me.
DE-9M

It's a universal serial port. Pretty useful for shit like thermal printers for receipts and random other shit like docks for portable barcode scanners/inventory devices. It's not yet obsolete because of all the companies that still produce peripherals for the port (mostly because a lot of warehouses and factories still have old systems with the port but no USB ports) but eventually all of the places that port is used will move to USB and it'll be phased out, but for now it's still in use.

Absolutely. Hell, I used that exact type of cord to uncap modems for people just a few years ago. It's a great way to get into development menus and send raw commands to routers and modems that the OEM doesn't expect you to do.

what kind of modem has a serial port lol

I'm not seeing a problem, besides OP using a cheap ass cable where the rubber bit going over the connector has started to slide down the cable. Who gives a shit?

None. You plug the serial end into a computer and the ethernet end into the modem.

>None. You plug the serial end into a computer and the ethernet end into the modem.
why does your computer have serial out lol

just get a macbook

Its an obsolete port for people in day-to-day lives, not obsolete in business/industrial usages though because industries are always insanely slow to change or adopt new technology.

Keep in mind that banks/finance companies were still using hardware from the 70s for almost 30 years that cost like $300k for a single hdd (that was like 5mb or something stupid), when you could get drives with exponentially more storage for exponentially cheaper, just because the initial cost of the computers was so high that they didn't want to phase it out and "waste" that initial investment. Even though every aspect of the tech they were using was obsolete as all fuck. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those legacy servers are still running just because they cost millions of dollars when they were made 25 years ago (using tech that was 25 years old 25 years ago)

Large companies would rather lose money over a long period of time on something than write off something expensive and buy something better for cheaper.

This can't be real.