/hpg/ /esg/ - Headphone & Electrostat General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Please ignore shitposters who spam disinfo copypasta every thread.

Previous thread:

Attached: 2894381_p0.jpg (1280x1280, 394K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
jameco.com/z/DCU120050Z8693-6-Watt-12VDC-500-mA-Unregulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter_15368.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for summit-fi

Attached: C51ABB12-7917-4377-85E3-543D5041CF9F.jpg (3856x3024, 2.21M)

woah rare stax anime girl

First for my wife miku

Attached: 1549051780202.jpg (1280x1920, 444K)

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap just like Fostex does.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomers.

Attached: 1546498796183.png (1027x1369, 784K)

What headphones are these?

Attached: 2DB2C698-F133-455B-9304-0F993FD2B949.jpg (4032x3024, 843K)

based

no shitphones

Need some help Jow Forums, my hd 558's are finally starting to die, need a replacement.

>Budget
~$100 USD
>Location
US
>Source
Mobo
>Type of headphone
Full-sized but open to having another set of IEM's
>Open or closed
Closed, open if better could be had at the price point
>Comfort level
Average or above, would probably wear them for 5hrs daily
>Sound signature
Warm, neutral or bassy
>Past headphones
HD 558's, KZ ES4's

Attached: 1551508596333.jpg (663x579, 39K)

Give me a headphone
Under $50
Available to ship to Trinidad or the US
Wireless bluetooth
Full sized open

Are new denons any good, how AH-D7200 compares to AH-D5000?

Some garbage that you don't want to buy.

DT 770 for closed, DT 990 for open. Both have great bass, but DT 770 is the best around.

I see DT770's around here a lot, and in general. Is there any sound quality difference in the lower ohm models, or is it really just lower impedance?

I recommend 250 ohm. I have the 600 ohm DT 990 premiums.

Unironically speaking, what do stax do that other electrostatic headphones dont?

STAX

Stax sound like shit.

Attached: staxpunch.png (785x757, 296K)

I've been trying to ask that very question a while ago. I don't think people here have an answer to that, either because that's too technical or they never heard other electrostatics.

So for 250 ohm I'd probably have to grab an amp, I could probably see pushing to $170 out of my range for a great pair of cans but amp on top would probably be at least double my budget

Attached: 1551511468439s.jpg (125x108, 2K)

this looks like a cheap headphone from the 1960.

Attached: 81Xij-j5ayL._SY550_.jpg (409x550, 35K)

it's just the impedance, no difference in sound

They sound even worse.

HPG I need help.

I have a SRM-252s and I was wondering which power supply would be best. Live in US
It came with this one, is it going to blow up my driver?
jameco.com/z/DCU120050Z8693-6-Watt-12VDC-500-mA-Unregulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter_15368.html

Just buy better headphones, Stax won't sound good no matter what amp you will use.

>Budget
250 max

>Location
Canada

>Source
PC/Phone

>Type of headphone
IEM

>Comfort level
I prefer them comfy but I don't mind sacrificing a little for better sound quality. As long as they don't actively start hurting to wear after 6+ hours I'm OK with it.

>Sound signature
I'm not sure really. I like listening to a wide variety of genres but my preferred songs are ones with female vocals if that helps.

>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD598. No real likes or dislikes related to sound, wish I could be more helpful with this.

are the HD 6XXs the best for a set of $200 headphones?

Attached: 77538FDA-3218-4662-943A-59AB6492D867.jpg (1620x1080, 273K)

most likely, yes
58X are even better if available

dt990 sound better, cost less, more durable, easier to repair and more comfy

hd58x is a better value at 150 but the hd6xx is the better headphone

lol no, dt990 has retard levels of treble and inferior build quality due to poorly designed gimbals

perfected the tuning. most other companies haven't had 80 years of experience. you can see a lot of companies trying to do estats and failing miserably at it

lol yes, dt990 were rated significantly higher in harman blind tests

>perfected the tuning

Attached: lmao.png (716x942, 235K)

prove it

harman curve is shit, and stax helped invent the diffuse field curve. also that's only 5dB of change but the scale makes it look beyer-esque 10+ dB

>t. triggered stax incel

staxchads win again

A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners’ Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones

not an argument

the headphones in that paper was not labelled

Stax incels will defend this

Attached: 1551656926722.png (900x1078, 110K)

HP20 Sennhsier HD650 $340 54.3
HP26 Beyerdynamic DT990 $200 62.4

>harman blind tests
you mean low sample sized tests that are unrepeatable by third and first parties?
easily fixed with a seal mod. treble is incredibly linear, distortion is the lowest rtings has ever measured despite lacking a seal. airpods have rolloff due to a lack of a seal

Maybe you can fix AirPods, but not Stax.
Stax sound like shit no matter what you do with them.

not an argument based on any facts or proof.

Even the best Stax sound objectively worse than mid-fi. Their low-end models are absolute garbage, even Beats sound better.

Attached: 1546655414111.jpg (4032x3024, 2.53M)

yeah but they sound like shit

Objectively wrong.

Objectively wrong.

>t. triggered stax incel

the fact that you have to photoshop pictures proves you've got nothing. not an argument. try again, your tactics only gets more people interested in stax

>t. triggered nostax yottacel

holy fuck the mentally ill samefagging nostax yottacel is at it again, when will he learn

Attached: mocking_debiru.jpg (339x435, 43K)

FACT: The number of posts you make in an /hpg/ thread is inversely proportional to any technical merit you hold.

You are hallucinating.

Anyone else tried master quality recordings on Tidal?
It's pretty fucking good.
Pic related is unreal.

Don't know how long i can stomach £19 a month though.

Attached: earorgasm.jpg (1262x1263, 597K)

still not an argument

No, you wouldn't actually. They are fine with no amp.

roast me

Attached: DSCF0874.jpg (1920x1307, 1.21M)

They sound amazing, or at least the DT 990 600 ohms do.

>Schiit
based

They sound good to me too.

looks pretty good
if anything I'd change to a warmer light for superior comfy
what's your opinion on the Schiit Modi / Magni?
what headphone stand is that?

>average dt990 owner

Attached: 1503100476774.jpg (4128x2322, 3.12M)

imagine the smell

>tfw BD doesn't ship to my country
feels bad

>BD stands for Bad Dragon and Beyerdynamic
Oh shit

it might not be the direct result of the impedance, but 250 ohm DT770s definitely sound different than 80 ohm DT770s.
t. 250 ohm owner with a friend who owns the 80 ohm variant

Maybe DT 990 Pro, but not DT 990 Premium.

they both sound like shit

based and objectivepilled my dude

They sound good
What is this

He said DT990, not Stax

rare photo of nikitas setup

they both sound like shit

Can someone explain what stax sound like?

Tried L300 and L300LE, from the same 252S amp. The store owner insisted that the more expensive amps were better but I've always been a skeptic, didn't bother to try them on the higher end amps because I knew if I were buying them I'd get the cheapest amp. Anyway, the no bass meme is true. Mids sound a bit recessed in the upper area but a bit honky at the same time. Treble is fine, no excessive sibilants on vocal tracks. Honestly they are overrated. No L500 or L700 was available to try. Judging from the build quality alone before I even listened to the L300 and L300LE I knew I wouldn't get these, they felt fragile, but maybe I would have made an exception if it sounded good, but sadly it didn't.

DT 990 sounds amazing, idk what you're talking about.

DT990 sounds better than STAX but it's still shit.

nice larp

>listening to dt990 be like

Attached: shint.gif (250x417, 3.88M)

>DT990 sounds better than STAX
No
>but it's still shit
Yes

I mean, DT 990 sounds better than HD6XX, K702, SHP9500s, M50. I haven't heard much else.

The imaging is natural and spacious. The sound is the most perfect of any transducer I've ever heard, and I've heard Wilson Audio, Focal Utopias, and numerous electrostatics in systems costing nearly a million dollars. Stax are simply better and sound more live and transparent, at least to me. They are very, very fast, detailed...even micro-detailed. But they do this in a very smooth and natural way which is not prone to causing listening fatigue. The finest treble and midrange available. Very good bass. Very good dynamics. But I must say, the Audeze LCD-3 fazor headphones, which I also own, are just a little bit better in terms of dynamics and bass for a lot less. But the Audeze is not nearly as good as the Stax in terms of transparency and natural sound.
The Stax are thus very smooth, neutral, articulate beyond belief, dynamic, and an open clear window for any well done recording.

All of those sound better than the shitheap dt990. Maybe the Khan mod would help but i am not hopeful working off such a poorly performing platform.

>what's your opinion on the Schiit Modi / Magni?
I've had them for like 4 years now and they've been great. The amp is great value for money. And if you get the modi multibit it's amazing value for money. Multibit at that price point is insane.
Though for the last few months the modi is having real issues with windows 10 not recognizing it whenever my computer or the DAC is restarted. I've disabled all the windows 10 usb power saving options but it still happens sometimes. And when it happens there isn't a quick fix. You've just got to wait until windows randomly decides to recognize it. No idea if this affects the most recent iteration of the modi.
Other than that they are solid. Switches all still work. Button on the front of the modi is a bit wobbly but i never use it so who cares.
Only thing that really bugs me is the white lights on the front. Way too bright. Lights up my entire room at night. I've had to resort to putting tape over them.

I think you need to get your hearing checked. DT 990 600 ohm sounds vastly superior to all those models I listed. It's literally like taking the veil off of the HD6XX and improving the bass.

Based
Cringe

>And if you get the modi multibit it's amazing value for money. Multibit at that price point is insane.
what's the difference? kinda new to this

Maybe you're deaf. The DT990 has excessive treble and is intentionally designed as a V-shaped headphone. If you're used to excessive treble, a headphone with slightly recessed treble like HD650 will sound veiled.

More like taking the veil and applying a rollercoaster to the FR. Icepick treble and muddy bass. I would rather listen to ve monks.

You're both wrong. The treble is fine, the HD6XX treble is just garbage.

Attached: Untitled.png (865x896, 179K)

>HD650
>slightly recessed treble
everyone knows its recessed.

>rtings
i knew it was shit already but thanks for confirming

Yea, I mean it sounds way darker than any other headphone I've heard.

Going to have to go with the DT 990 too. Maybe you could try the HD58X, but I would probably avoid the HD6XX unless you want a dark/warm sound.

rtings uses non-standard target curve, I wouldn't take them seriously

what is a standard curve? harman? their studies aren't repeatable. diffuse field? pic related

Attached: hd600timbre.jpg (2016x5717, 1.22M)