Let's say I don't really write any giant thesis or anything full of math/math formulas...

Let's say I don't really write any giant thesis or anything full of math/math formulas. Is there still a reason and upside from using LaTeX? I'm not a fan of having to click on 1000 things to write something, yet that's all I ever did till now. I'd like to change that though if there's any merit to it.

Attached: li.jpg (600x600, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SoDv0qhyysQ&list=PL1D4EAB31D3EBC449
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Click on things
>Latex

Eh?

Markdown is better, and easier for less complex stuff (i.e outside of academia).

I love latex, and use it for everything. But no fucking way i would feel that it was worth learning if i didn't use it for writing scientific papers.

Yeah, it feels like working on a declarative document. It's great. You input the commands and then sit back as it typesets it all for you. Then you change the data and it re-typesets it again and most of the time it just werks. Plus it's easier to navigate your source when everything is text, rather than having to aim your mouse to click on a particular cell in a table or something.

It definitely has its flaws, of course. And sometimes you want to add a diagram and you wish you could just draw some circles by hand rather than having to specify them declaratively using Tikz or whatever. But the vast majority of the time, it's just so much more pleasant than hacking away at Word.

troff is better for the less complex stuff.

>Is there still a reason and upside from using LaTeX?
Getting a good looking and readable document, I’d say.
Not that anyone cares (currently agonizing my way through some 280 pages tech report, that is really painful to the eyes, thanks to words shitty default settings), but people should care.

>and you wish you could just draw some circles by hand rather than having to specify them declaratively using Tikz or whatever.
You can still do that, just use a drawing program and include the picture.

True, but that's still more cumbersome (under the assumption that you might need to edit it later), as you need an external vector editor and set up proper including (I'm assuming you should be able to include a file from latex and then just save to that file, at least, right?). You also lose all of the typesetting capabilities of latex for stuff like labels.

It can be done of course, or even Tikz isn't that bad if you learn it, or you could even use Word/LibreWrite to make your diagrams if you really wanted.

As it's been mentioned LaTeX has its downsides - you wouldn't design an ad pamphlet for a hotel with it, but much like with vim controls once you learn it you just get very annoyed when you have to go back to other word processors.

On an unrelated note: god, fuck why is there no vim plugin for spreadsheet programs? Constantly switching between mouse and keyboard is driving me mad.

>Is there still a reason and upside from using LaTeX?
If you're not already using it, there's the simple benefit of learning document creation technology beyond WYSIWYG office programs like Word. I don't use LaTeX specifically for my current job in technical writing, but we use similarly non-WYSIWYG tools, and having experience with things like LaTeX puts you at a major advantage over coworkers that know nothing but Word.

>yfw thesis guidelines are mostly set to submit a word document

KEK wasted all that time learning latex faggot!

I don't know what third world degree mill you go to. Scientific papers are almost all latex and at my uni they're mandating latex for all reports and theses.

Even my biology faculty offers latex templates for every kind of report, thesis, etc.

>Not that anyone cares
You'd be surprised how many plebs immediately note the difference in quality of a document set by latex.

>reddit spacing
>reddit insult
>'yfw' but no picture
>piss poor university
>studying a non STEM degree or something retarded like computer science
>he still 'FUCKING LOVES SCIENCE' though

Attached: reddit soy.png (753x960, 29K)

Phrased that poorly. I meant Word is where you have to click on things

>still a reason
of course, there are templates for nice letters and presentations

Emacs Org Mode.

OP here, thanks for all your input kind anons. Which program would you recommend me to work with LaTeX? I'm somewhat familiar with vim and its plugins, is it good enough?

I personally use texstudio, it's really just more convenient than trying to wrangle vim into showing live previews and stuff. It really just works.

There's some good IDE's like TeXstudio. There's Overleaf if you don't mind web bloat. Personally, I just use vim and zathura with a bind to build it. There's some plugins for vim I've heard of, like vim live latex or something, but I've never used them. If you're autistic you can make your own using something like inotifywait to rebuild the document whenever the .tex file is modified.

Latex is like Vim, intimidating to tackle at first, but you can make it your bitch once you get hold of the bottom half. There's hardly any well respected, and beautiful document/engine like Tex, invest your time learning it!
I myself do Latex on Orgmode(Emacs), which later I export to my blog engine, to the PDF, and occasionally beamer slides.

Attached: 1546857522123.png (398x468, 53K)

On Mac I use TexShop but I also have a VS Code extension to spit out a pdf on save which is good for small edits. I write in a text doc then copy and paste into the template.

This woman teaches her high schoolers how to use it. It's like programming or learning vim/emacs, learn enough of the basics to get yourself going then google whatever you need to learn. Eventually you'll have a template to base documents off of.
youtube.com/watch?v=SoDv0qhyysQ&list=PL1D4EAB31D3EBC449