Want to write a distro to a usb drive

>want to write a distro to a usb drive
>cat gnulinux.iso > /dev/sdb
>boot it up, doesn't work
>mfw i was overwitting my data drive this whole time
>no_fucking_way.jpg
Jow Forums PLEASE HELP I NEED THOSE FILES
only the first ~1.7G are lost
does cfdisk create a backup of the partition table by default?

Attached: 81SYu2aMXRL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 170K)

Install gentoo

RIP

cfdisk doesnt make a backup. you mostly just need the beginning of the partition to be correct and you can fix it from there. this is going to depend on what filesystem you use. you might need to use recovery tools to just search for files on the disk and copy them off, rather than trying to fix the partition

i created the single partition that was on the disk and used mke2fs -n to get the backup superblock addresses.
then with e2fsck i tried to recover the superblock but a lot of inodes have corrupted data. from the first one up to 95382 and it's still going. is it normal for a 2gb corruption ?

it has stopped complaining on inode 103481 for some time now. i think most stuff whould be safe

Attached: hiiragi-kagami-full-387465.jpg (1600x1200, 489K)

That's what you get for being a cli neckbeard and a freetard

Attached: rufus_en.png (418x538, 12K)

i have a lot of benefits with such easy and low level access to the drive
for example how do you create a compressed backup of a drive and send it over the network ?
You have to use diferent clunky gui programms manually and trust that they don't send your data to their servers too
i can just
cat /dev/sda1 | xz | nc

i forgot, you can accidently click the wrong drive letter too so stfu

Op did you copy the command to do this from stack overflow? Why would you not mount and check what's on the device first?

Feels good having an NVME drive with special naming

Just restore the data from backups.... Y-you do have backups, right?

Just restore from your most recent backup, do you have backups right?

Sucks. Try testdisk or manually recreate partitions and force a fsck with the correct fs utilities. Else, photorec to another drive I guess.

I'd say "restore from backup", but knowing people even on Jow Forums where its mentioned every time, you don't have a current one.

why not "dd if= of="?? harder to mess up

i didn't care what was on it
it WAS the backup drive, it had the history of my files from years ago and i don't want to loose it
i fixed it basicly got the backup superblock address and used fsck with it

>still have to enter the block device
how so?
also too much typing and cat is more intuative

Well look where that got you

Why the fuck did you use cat instead of dd if= of=

Why lie in the internet? also checked

>HEY Jow Forums!!!
>I WANT TO FUCK AROUND WITH MY DRIVE WITHOUT BACKING UP ANYTHING TO ANOTHER DRIVE
>LOLOL
>I ALSO HAVEN'T READ UP ON WHAT I WANT TO DO BECAUSE I LIKE WINGING THINGS AND PRETENDING IT MAKES ME MANLY FOR THINKING FOR MYSELF UNLIKE WHAT MY PARENTS THINK

Attached: OH NO.png (1280x720, 843K)

>I WANT TO FUCK AROUND WITH MY DRIVE WITHOUT BACKING UP ANYTHING TO ANOTHER DRIVE
this was the backup drive >I ALSO HAVEN'T READ UP ON WHAT I WANT TO DO BECAUSE I LIKE WINGING THINGS AND PRETENDING IT MAKES ME MANLY FOR THINKING FOR MYSELF UNLIKE WHAT MY PARENTS THINK
i panicked and though someone on g would know a better way to save my drive than what i would've come up with , it is unrecoverable data and ididn't want to fuck it up. I ended up solving it myself anyway ( ). it was literally the forth post on the thread.