What is the best looking Linux user interface and why is it gnome 3? Talking about aesthetics only not ram usage/etc...

What is the best looking Linux user interface and why is it gnome 3? Talking about aesthetics only not ram usage/etc. Gnome is s clean, well designed next generation interface which innovates instead of copying windows 95.

Attached: UBguwIX.jpg (1920x1080, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Shell-Mutter-3.31.92
pointieststick.com/2019/03/03/this-week-in-usability-productivity-part-60
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gnome is seriously underrated, I'll never go back to a traditional desktop even if gnome3's performance is shart

Horribly unintuitive to use and difficult to configure. Inflexible opptions, need to download addons to set up day-to-day options. Tried it for several months until I just gave up. Went back to KDE and am a happy camper once again.
t. linux user for 20+ years

>KDE

xfce is unironically the most comfy most simple de there is. you can configure it easily it never crashes etc.
>inb4 muh screen tearing
enable vsync or download Compton

gnome is fine as long as you like everything it does, but if you want to customize it's pretty bad and limited these days

kde has more features and is far more customizeable, but the default settings are probably less attractive than gnome

just use i3 bro, you don't have to spend 30 years on opendesktop searching for a theme, just pick a color scheme and you're golden

i3 is bloated numale garbage. Use DWM

Supporting gnome is supporting soi nümale garbage and trannyscum. The fuck out of here.

I like and use GNOME the most. Didn't quite get your points though. Copying Windows 95 isn't a bad idea if it works. "Next generation interface" doesn't say anything.
IMO GNOME works well because it's very customizable. You can make it pretty good looking with minimal effort. But most important, I like most of the default GTK3 programs that it ships with. Nautilus is the only exception - every other file manager I've used was much faster. Except maybe for Pantheon Files, which is a fork of Nautilus.
I tried KDE 5.14 recently and liked some aspects of it. Dolphin is miles ahead of Nautilus. Unfortunately, I didn't like the look and feel of most of the DE's components, specially the widgets. It felt buggy, and they'd never stay in the same position after rebooting.
Audio was handled in a strange way, and often it would play an youtube video with audio at 100% (I normally leave my headphones at 18%). It couldn't remember my last settings no matter what I did, and it would start every new instance of a program with volume at 100% (each program had its own separate volume, mostly like Windows, except KDE always put it at 100%).
Overall, I didn't hate it by I'm probably jump ship once Debian 10 is stable. Don't really want a rolling release. The upgrade from KDE 5.14 to 5.15 broke lattedock behavior (it's fixed by now). I'd rather work with LTS/stable versions.

Attached: 1537844582586.jpg (1024x679, 91K)

The head of KDE is literally a tranny

I don't use KDE, so that's irrelevant. I use my own wm forked from wmfs

Gnome 2 was so great.
Gnome 3 trying to emulate apples shitty design is infuriating at best

This. I find Gnome 3 unusable. The UI is inconvenient its a pain to configure. Gnome Classic and KDE are usable, but in my experience XFCE is basically just a lighter, less buggy KDE.

REDDIT

HEADERS

kys

>even if gnome3's performance is shart
It's improved a LOT the past few releases. 3.32 should be even better. If you're not on the latest release right now then update.

Who cares about looks when it comes at the cost of stripped out functionality?

>he doesnt know how to install a theme with smaller headers or simply change the size of the headers in the theme he is using

>unintuitive
>difficult to configure
it's unintuitive if you're expecting it to be like xfce, but once you get used to the emphasis on workspaces and the overview menu and install gnome-tweak-tool it's much easier to use - better, in my opinion.

>lmao just use extensions bro
kys

>Extensions are bad
>Uses hundreds of browser extensions

>Extensions are bad
>Just install these widgets and KDE plasma applets bro!

>IMO GNOME works well because it's very customizable.
>In my opinion
Your opinion is wrong
We literally have more options to customize windows over gn*me.
Your only option is to use "extensions" that have immediate limitations.
>Gtk3 programs
I dont know what distro you're using however KDE apps are superior to their Gn*me equivalent in every case:
Dolphin, Kalender, Krita, Falkon > Nautilus, Calendar, GIMP, Epiphany (who uses this garbage anyway?)

Did you even lock your widgets?
And blame pottering of the redhat cabal for your problems with audio.

don't listen to this retard

>Your opinion is wrong
That's not how opinions work. You may like one DE more and another person might not, and that's probably because you're judging them under different criteria. So just use what works for you.
>We literally have more options to customize windows over gn*me.
Who is we? What aspects of Windows are you talking about?
>Your only option is to use "extensions" that have immediate limitations.
I've never ran into such "immediate limitations". The few ones I use are easy to install and just work. What did you find that it didn't work?
>I dont know what distro you're using
I've used GNOME in Debian 8, 9, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04 and Fedora 25. By far my best experience was with 16.04.
>KDE apps are superior to their Gn*me equivalent in every case
Are superior according to what criteria?
For me, look and feel are the most important when using GUI applications. I've found most GTK3 programs to feel less clunky, look cleaner and have a more intuitive interface.
Falkon might be better than Epiphany (never tested them), but I won't use them either regardless of the DE. I'll just stick with Firefox.
For the Calendar, personally I like the one that GNOME ships with more. GIMP also works really well for me. There's a configuration file in the Internet that makes its interface very similar to Photoshop. Krita, on the other hand, didn't look intuitive for me.
>Did you even lock your widgets?
Yes.
>And blame pottering of the redhat cabal for your problems with audio.
No reason to play a blame game here. Just saying that GNOME's behavior was good for me, while KDE's behavior wasn't.

Attached: Black Pride.jpg (3581x4908, 1.02M)

>t.picrelated

Attached: Screenshot_20190228-023840_Chrome.jpg (1077x673, 240K)

Not him but why does it matter that some faggot on reddit is retarded and can't into config files?

This is the typical i3 user/shill. People use i3 because their IQ is too low to use DWM or xmonad.

Is being harder to use somehow a feature?

no peopple use i3 because it's ready to use and xcb
retard

>2019
>GNU/Linsux GUIs still don't have fractional UI scaling
>GNU/Linsux file pickers still don't have a thumbnail preview

Face it, GNOME, KDE, xfce, whatever-shitty-minimalist-wm+terminal-you-are-using etc. are fucking garbage. They just don't hold up w/ macOS and windows. Only a massive fucjing faggot would unironically choose GNU/Linsux on anything other than headless devices.

>Doesn't have fra...
Stopped reading right there
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Shell-Mutter-3.31.92

Is being shit like i3 a feature ?

Install dwm you niggers.

Attached: 1529680853729.jpg (992x661, 80K)

What is the problem with i3?

the windows file 'picker' is terrible
i'd rather drag and drop from my fm than use that crap, it's like chopping your arms and legs and trying to walk, it's so bad
gnome's file chooser has recursive search
mac's fonts suck and fractional scaling losers should be shot - don't buy stupid monitors retard

>That's not how opinions work.
You're right. But you tried to peddle an untrue statement by dressing it up as an "opinion."
Gn*me is not even on the same league as other DEs when it comes to customization. Infact, your idea of "customization" is being able to turn your desktop into a Mac clone. There are at most two modes you can use gn*me as:
1) Default - single top panel
2) Dash to dock - Top panel with dock
Even the basics included in winblows are missing. You can't change the location of the panel. You can't change the location of widgets on the panel. You can't change the panel size.

If you just want to debate the aesthetic of the apps then I can't fault you. It's hard to fix someone's shit taste by debate.
For starters I could compile a short list of graphical annoyances that occur on gtk but not qt.
- irregular titlebars full of whitespace
- gtk dark themes make dark text fields regardless of content (qt does not)
- Nautilus has thumbnails and text that aren't aligned
- No thumbnails in the file picker ( 13 year old bug)

>You're right. But you tried to peddle an untrue statement by dressing it up as an "opinion."
I didn't do that. I consider it to be very customizable because I can change its behavior as I want through extensions.
>Gn*me is not even on the same league as other DEs when it comes to customization.
What DEs are you comparing with? What can you do with them that you're unable to do with GNOME?
The entire DE runs in JS, what exactly are you trying to change that you can't?
>your idea of "customization" is being able to turn your desktop into a Mac clone
???
Never mentioned OS X in this thread.
>There are at most two modes you can use gn*me as
You can use a Windows 7-like panel if you want. You can also disable the top panel completely through extensions if you want to use something else.
What desktop model did you try to use that you just couldn't?
>You can't change the location of widgets on the panel.
I'm not sure where you got that information from, but you can change their position by editing your theme accordingly.
>For starters I could compile a short list of graphical annoyances that occur on gtk but not qt.
None of these graphical annoyances were a problem to me, except for the lack of thumbnails in the file picker. This also seems to be a problem in all major DEs. For example, KDE devs publish a blog where they show inconsistency fixes happening every week: pointieststick.com/2019/03/03/this-week-in-usability-productivity-part-60

Attached: Arthuria Lancer 2.jpg (1736x2456, 2.63M)

>???
>Never mentioned OS X in this thread.
You mentioned lattedock when using KDE and Im pretty sure you're OP.
>You can use a Windows 7-like panel if you want. You can also disable the top panel completely through extensions if you want to use something else.
That's enlightening. Ive never seen a Gnome desktop that wasn't a top panel or dock and there's no GUI to change it.
>This also seems to be a problem in all major DEs. For example, KDE devs publish a blog where they show inconsistency fixes happening every week:
Just with Firefox. They didn't accept the patch that would have fixed it years ago. IIRC they were against code that "detected" which DE was being used.
KDEs file picker dialogue always had thumbnails and you could use it with any qtWebKit/qtWebEngine browser.

Attached: Katerose_2.jpg (636x476, 128K)

Does gnome even have a real taskbar where you can see each window and title separately, or is an unusable meme dock the only option?

these desu

Gn*me is supposed to be keyboard driven so by default you hit the super key to see all programs and workspaces.
According to you can disable the memebar and use a functional one instead but that's the first ive heard of it.

Attached: dtp-main-p2.png (1294x397, 95K)

Enjoy your systemd bloatnet. The superior distribution Slackware removed Gnome in 2005.

>You mentioned lattedock when using KDE and Im pretty sure you're OP.
I'm not OP, and I've never used anything Arch-based for more than 5 minutes.
>They didn't accept the patch that would have fixed it years ago. IIRC they were against code that "detected" which DE was being used.
KDEs file picker dialogue always had thumbnails and you could use it with any qtWebKit/qtWebEngine browser.
That was indeed the case with Firefox, unfortunately. Just for clarification, when I said it seemed to be a problem across all major DEs, I was referring to inconsistencies regarding themes, not the lack of thumbnails on file picker.

Attached: Buccelati and King Crimson.png (1920x1080, 2.62M)

>keyboard driven
Macos users also use this meme, but in my opinion it's just a codeword for "bad UI". KDE and even Windows have well functioning keyboard shortcuts as well, KDE even has stellar remapping capabilities - yet they also are able to include a GUI that doesn't make it impossible for me to navigate straight to one of my 3 file manager windows or 6 vim windows.

Linux year of desktop will never become, if GNOME would be the de-facto default DE for Linux.
Microsoft made probably one of the best GUI/DE... Why to invent the wheel?

t. Windows 7 user.

does anybody have a guide to dual booting arch linux on a windows 10 system? can i use rufus like with kali? i can't find any good guides

True, gnome is actively harming adoption just by how handicapped and shitty it is.

Whatever, he(she) can be a tranny, yet product is good.
Apple head is literally gayest gay, yet MacBooks are OK laptops with OK OS...

>MacBooks are OK laptops with OK OS
I wouldn't say that, especially about the OS and the newest Macbook generation

Attached: Screenshot_20190306_170027.png (743x87, 16K)

>systemd bloatnet
>le youneigs philosophy is a le magic userspace design bullet :p
lol okay gramps, have fun with that super sleek kernel, browser, de and audio/graphics stack of yours

I won't say that they're ideal, but even modern MacBooks are pretty nice machines, and OS X works decent enough (consumes less resources, than gn*me).
>inb4: PPBUS_G3HOT

In 2005? Holyshit those guys were prophetic.
>"GNOME is and always has been a moving target (even the “stable” releases usually aren’t quite ready yet) that really does demand a team to keep up on all the changes (many of which are not always well documented). I fully expect that this move will improve the quality of both Slackware itself"
14 years later and it's still true!
If only more distros and devs started to ignore gnome and redhat until they both died a dogs death.
Then we could be liberated from pulse, systemd and gtk.

Regarding themes: qt doesn't have that problem respecting content.
Ill post an example later.

Exactly. That's why I called OP and the guy above a mactoddler.
Docks are an anti feature. Useless for anything but eye candy. Being unable to glance at what programs are running is a flaw.

I agree. XFCE is way better, LXQt is nice, but lacks some features, KDE after all...
They all mimic Windows UI more-less, with some differences, of course, but it is usable after all, while Gnome is like made by some junkie under cocaine, weed and kerosene.

>If only more distros and devs started to ignore gnome and redhat until they both died a dogs death.
>Then we could be liberated from pulse, systemd and gtk.
amen

This look isn't specific to gnome at all dude lol. It's just a transparent taskbar with a dock and a terminal window. Take away that wallpaper and you'll see how generic this is.

wait so if i use KDE i can work for NASA? sweet

>tablet UI on desktop
>innovation
whatever helps you sleep at night OP